Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sergorn asked a good question, and Tim Stellmach responded: http://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=153.0

I don't think this has been brought up yet by OtherSide, so I'm going to ask :

How is UWA going to handle dialogues with NPCs, and most importantly : will it offers the same sort of interactive dialogues the original games had ?

The reason I have some concern about it... is that I've too often seen the argument been made (including notably UW2's director Doug Church, and unless I'm mistaken, Warren Spector) that having dialogues in Underworld was a mistake and that it was a dated RPG trope that lessened the experience of the game. You could see how this view was followed up in many games that followed down the Ultima Underworld lineage, starting with System Shock, Thief, Bioshock and even Arx Fatalis (even if in this case it was more a ressources concernes and Arkane planned to bring interactive dialogues back in Arx Fatalis 2).

And honestly this is a kind of view that make go ugh, and also makes me feel some people miss the point of how much UW dialogues brought to the genre. Because I think the UWs really were amongst the forefather in the early '90s (along with the criminaliy underrated Dark Suns games) of the kind of "choice & consequence" type of dialogues that has no become so accepted in RPG, notably from the likes of Bioware and Obsidian. And I felt that was an important aspect Ultima Underworld - you had to make your own choices in how to progress in the game, and that also included choosing what to do in dialogues (do I talk my way through the Goblin Tower... or kill every one of these yellow bastards... or release the troll after soft talking the leader to give me the key to his cell ?)

So I'm just really hoping that THIS is also in the cards for UWA, because if not it would be very dissapointing.

-Sergorn

Well, we don't have the options of "everybody on the space station is dead" or "you're always trying to hide from everyone."

We've actually talked a fair amount about our approach to NPC interaction. Experimenting with that is an area of design direction we'll probably come back to when we see what our funding level will be, but it's safe to assume we'll view the UW1&2 approach as a baseline.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Very good question, i am worried about their approach to traditional dialogues and quest design. All this talk of emergent gameplay and non linear story makes me think there will be less story and dialogues than a traditional rpg.

imweasel

Paul Neurath said:
These dwarven-crafted claw knuckles pack a surprising punch for such an inconspicuous weapon. And for every 500 new Backers past 8,000 that join us by Sunday, our dwarven smiths will set an extra fine Blue Opal stone in the knuckles of the Little Friends. Let’s go for the bling!

He's like the uncle that used to be cool. Who the fuck reads that and thinks I better tell all my friends?
Not as cool as a new level for the mega dungeon:

5e78d5109f50dc75ab06c98120e7ca12_large.jpg

883b12dbd490372aae108ce126d5f74d_large.jpg

But at least it's something.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
The lurker moving animation is just terrible. Like ice skating in the water. ____________________

I'd like to see a better version...and soon. The tentacles are fine..but that slidey movement has to go.

Zep--

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
They aren't doing themselves any favours with conceptual gameplay video as some people refuse to understand conceptual and perception is reality. Scott is creepy.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Paraphrase:

I think I really kind of want to work on this game? Maybe. But would rather be working on the next Flappy Bird.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/posts/1131056

Since last week we’ve had a fan VOTE running on our forums on the art style for the Shamblers, one of the factions that vie for control of the Stygian Abyss. Time to call the results. It was close, but Mushroom Man edges out Fungi Guy by 47 votes!

6d2fb0d100aebbebf9a29e29111482b9_large.png

Guessing it was the stylishly oversized, mushroom-cap head that put this guy over the top. Also comes in handy in a rain shower. Wait… rain in the underworld?

With that decision made, on to the next fan VOTE. Lava Bats or Dire Faeries? Only room in the Stygian Abyss for one of these little nasties. We’ll let our game designers plead their case for each:

VOTE early and often for your favorite! (Actually you only get a single vote, so use it wisely.)

A heads up that we’re slaving away on a big update for tomorrow evening. Stay tuned…

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
People. What do you want: a Scott Kimball actor or a Scott Kimball designer?
I cannot decide, because they are both equally but differently good ideas. Lava Bats and Dire Ferries. Discussion please.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I cannot decide, because they are both equally but differently good ideas. Lava Bats and Dire Ferries. Discussion please.

If they are just mindless hostiles then I'll take the Lava Bat. If they intend to flesh out the faerie a bit then it's a wash for me.

The Lava Bat could be a dangerous pest who can damage gear and perhaps destroy some items by fire. I like the idea of burning bags within your pack... you keep your items but a lost bag is reason enough to hate the little bastards. Their lava spit could light the room slightly or smoulder on the ground which would be a neat effect.
The Dire Faerie could have some minor lore to discover how they were corrupted or whatnot. I imagine them to be magic users perhaps with a focus on illusion.

I'd like to know a little more about their intentions for both.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
People. What do you want: a Scott Kimball actor or a Scott Kimball designer?

To be honest I'm not sure I want him as a designer, but I'm willing to give him a chance to prove himself with this game.

Neurath obviously sees potential in him anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Those guys could do with a little incandescent light and a few personal effects in that workspace. It looks clinical in there right now with a pale fluorescent overhead. Workspace makes a difference!

2_10_2015_9_07_31_AM.png

Darkzone

Arcane
I'd like to know a little more about their intentions for both.
Yes all little more background would be better for a decision. I build up the same assumption about this creatures, and from this aspect comes my difficulty in making a decision. Swarms of Lava Bats or Dire Ferries could be quite dangerous, i always think about the rats in PS:T.

To be honest I'm not sure I want him as a designer, but I'm willing to give him a chance to prove himself with this game.Neurath obviously sees potential in him anyway...
So next stretch goal 'Scott Kimball acting lessons' so that he can convey much more enthusiasm.

Those guys could do with a little incandescent light and a few personal effects in that workspace. It looks clinical in there right now with a pale fluorescent overhead. Workspace makes a difference!

2_10_2015_9_07_31_AM.png

I think that this is quite a good 'clean' room, and they are showing us on their pictures that they love UU, and the nerf gun is saying: we are nerds. The colors are typical 70s, while the furniture is 90s. They should redesign their artelier. White walls with bigger pictures, gray work tables and also gray carpets. The frames of the pictures should be then also more broad and gray. Tim should then not on a laptop / notebook but sit in front of two screens, which would then display their current build in Unity3d and as a background picture he should have UU.
This would shown us more confidence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom