Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I loved the magic system in Arx Fatalis.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I would like to see magic and alchemy both combined and expanded.

Finding runes was always exciting in the abyss - it brought reward for exploration and the promise of new powers. I always really liked the idea of having to find, hold and use the runes for incantation but in practice it ended being a very limited in that you could only use one spell at a time, particularly in combat it was not feasible to switch it up although I am sure we have kited mobs in a desperate attempt to change the spell we are using (like to heal while the near-death music was playing for example). I think the same system today would be found to be sorely lacking for most people, myself included. It needs expansion.

Since there is talk about Ultima lore and talk about crafting in tha game, why not combine the new magic system with alchemy and pull in traditional Ultima reagents? Potion mixing using reagents (sulfurous ash, Mandrake, Ginseng, Nightshade, etc.) The player could decide between alchemy and magic and the reagents serve dual purpose. Collecting and carrying bags of familiar reagents for magic use, combined with the rune system would make UA feel familiar and closer to traditional Ultima. The thought of a combination of the systems in UU and U7 is pretty exciting to me.

Darkzone

Arcane
What am I, some kind of Codex ambassador? :?
IS THIS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?!! DO YOU WANT TO HAVE THE WHOLE CODEX?!! ;) [/joke]
No, but you are already in their forum, and you have very good qualities to do this.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Finding runes was always exciting in the abyss - it brought reward for exploration and the promise of new powers.
Finding new runes was awesome, I think they should have a similar system. Also, Arx's casting system could work with a few tweaks. One example could be an autocasting system, where you just select a spell and have your character autocast the runes himself. The twist is, autocast would be relatively slow, while the fast players could draw the runes themselves for faster spellcasting. Of course, autocast only works when you have discovered the spells already by casting them at least once.

Another choice could be that time slow kinda thingy (witcher 2 for example) where the time would slow down for a bit as you start drawing the runes, giving you a bit more time to react.

Of course, you can still have a few spells memorized beforehand (like in Arx) which you can quickcast with the press of a button.

Nyast

Cipher
I only got one question: will rune-letter based magic be in, and will we be required to actually draw runes with the mouse?

Because if that is the case, GOTY of whatever fucking year they decide to release this thing in is already decided.

No, they haven't designed the magic system yet. They said they liked the original rune-based system but also take inspiration from Arx Fatalis, so it could go in any direction.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Not bad ideas. I personally dislike them but they are decent compromises (not so much the fist idea though as automated gameplay & Looking Glass just isn't a thing for the most part).

Darkzone

Arcane
Thanks but I'm a big boy and am capable of articulating an idea.
Therefore i have written that you should do it. But in case that you are a forum lazy guy like me (im only in 4 forums (2 sciences), here and one other game forum, where i only write something from times to times ) you could give this task to Zombra.

My original post was:
Doctor Sbaitso
Propose this in Otherside forum, or let it Zombra propose.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What I find interesting is that every video of theirs that shows gameplay footage of one of the UU games crops the entire UI out and makes the gameplay screen look full screen. Just a little marketing psychology there...?
I was wondering why I only saw the PC's hands like once. Personally I think that's a great sign as it means they're already thinking in terms of a HUDless presentation.

Hates the first-person HUD we does, hssssss

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UIs can be nice, but the Underworld games' very small viewports were pretty terrible (UW2's was better though). It's no surprise they're zooming in on them.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What I find interesting is that every video of theirs that shows gameplay footage of one of the UU games crops the entire UI out and makes the gameplay screen look full screen. Just a little marketing psychology there...?
I was wondering why I only saw the PC's hands like once. Personally I think that's a great sign as it means they're already thinking in terms of a HUDless presentation.

Hates the first-person HUD we does, hssssss

I imagine it has more to do with today's gaming audience than a conscious design philosophy. At least as far as the KickStarter PR push is concerned. I doubt they thought for once that this game would ever have a prominent UI but showing the youngsters today UU's full screen could scare off potential dollars.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I imagine it has more to do with today's gaming audience than a conscious design philosophy. At least as far as the KickStarter PR push is concerned. I doubt they thought for once that this game would ever have a prominent UI but showing the youngsters today UU's full screen could scare off potential dollars.
Yeah. They are talking about immersion a lot though, which gives me high hopes. I look at games like Dark Corners of the Earth where they said right at the announcement, "no HUD", and what a huge boon that was to immersion, and well, I just hope OtherSsSside is going in the same direction. Wishful thinking maybe. Time to make a forum post.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah. They are talking about immersion a lot though, which gives me high hopes. I look at games like Dark Corners of the Earth where they said right at the announcement, "no HUD", and what a huge boon that was to immersion, and well, I just hope OtherSsSside is going in the same direction. Wishful thinking maybe. Time to make a forum post.

Why don't you leave at least that one to me... :x

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Paul Neurath said:
These dwarven-crafted claw knuckles pack a surprising punch for such an inconspicuous weapon. And for every 500 new Backers past 8,000 that join us by Sunday, our dwarven smiths will set an extra fine Blue Opal stone in the knuckles of the Little Friends. Let’s go for the bling!

He's like the uncle that used to be cool. Who the fuck reads that and thinks I better tell all my friends?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
So...Codex fundraiser? Or is it not worth it, 90% of the Codex seems to only be interested in Bioware's games.

:codexisfor:

Seriously though, we should consider a little boosting.

LGSlogo.jpg

Mustawd

Paul Neurath said:
These dwarven-crafted claw knuckles pack a surprising punch for such an inconspicuous weapon. And for every 500 new Backers past 8,000 that join us by Sunday, our dwarven smiths will set an extra fine Blue Opal stone in the knuckles of the Little Friends. Let’s go for the bling!

He's like the uncle that used to be cool. Who the fuck reads that and thinks I better tell all my friends?

Dude's embracing his true inner geek. What's wrong with that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom