Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why aren't the bigger Kickstarters (SC, SotA, W2, POE) doing more to help publicize this? I can understand SR:H not doing it as it is still running it's own KS, but why not others. They all benefit when there are high profile KS successes as it makes KS an even more viable platform for future projects. Especially strange that Garriott hasn't as this is directly connected yet no updates to their backers... :outrage:

Wait for it...

Also, SotA pointed at this Kickstarter on their site: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=47929

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why aren't the bigger Kickstarters (SC, SotA, W2, POE) doing more to help publicize this? I can understand SR:H not doing it as it is still running it's own KS, but why not others. They all benefit when there are high profile KS successes as it makes KS an even more viable platform for future projects. Especially strange that Garriott hasn't as this is directly connected yet no updates to their backers... :outrage:

Wait for it...

Also, SotA pointed at this Kickstarter on their site: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=47929

Not sure you can reach near the number of people a KS update email can but you may be correct that they will try to space the PR promo stuff out over the course of the KS. The problem with that is Kickstarters live or die in the first few days not spread out over the month it's active. That initial "push" is vital and this doesn't seem to have it compared to other high profile KS games.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Wait for it...

Not sure you can reach near the number of people a KS update email can but you may be correct that they will try to space the PR promo stuff out over the course of the KS. The problem with that is Kickstarters live or die in the first few days not spread out over the month it's active. That initial "push" is vital and this doesn't seem to have it compared to other high profile KS games.

People tend to oversimplify the "initial push" stuff. If a bunch of people suddenly learn about your Kickstarter, you'll get lots of money, initial or not. A strong first day or two is important for keeping appearances and not looking like a "doomed" project, but I think Underworld's first days were strong enough for that not to be a problem.

Darkzone

Arcane
^Yes they have reached 47% of their goal after this two and half days, so they should reach their first goal, if they do not make any crucial mistake.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They finally sent it out:
Update of the Avatar #111 – 2015.02.06: Help Support Underworld Kickstarter, Bank Slot Rewards, Carnival Mask, Time.com Top 50, $10 for $10 Bonus, and More!
Greetings Fellow Avatars!

Here's what we have for you in this week's edition of Update of the Avatar:
  • Raise the Underworld
  • New Pledge Rewards: Bank Slots
  • Receiving Pledge Rewards and Add-On Items in Release 14
  • Time.com includes SotA in Top 50 Most Anticipated Games of 2015
  • The Release 15 Grand Tour Silver Jester Carnival Mask
  • Limited Edition Jester Carnival Mask
  • Massively Overpowered Kickstarter
  • $10 for $10 Bonus Promotion
  • Novia Overworld Work-In-Progress
  • Changes to Store Credit Conversions
  • In-game Community Weekend Events
  • Last Chance Exclusives
  • Steam Access Keys Available for All Backers
  • How to Cancel Monthly Payment Plans
  • This Week In The News
  • Upcoming Events

Otherside Entertainment launched their Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter campaign this Wednesday, February 4th. They got off to a great start and have almost reached half their funding goal in just a few short days!

As we described last week, our long-time friend and former Origin protégé, Paul Neurath, is rebooting the legendary Ultima Underworld games. It has been more than a decade long wait, but the stars have aligned and Paul has long last freed the rights to move forward with the franchise. We're especially excited that, just as the original Ultima and Underworld shared a connection on backstory and fictional elements, so too will Shroud of the Avatar and Underworld Ascendant.

Additionally, we are teaming up with Underworld so that backers of both games can get special in-game items. Here's the description from the Underworld Kickstarter page:

Shroud of the Avatar Special Item

To celebrate our history with the realms of Lord British, we’re teaming up to prepare a special item for backers who also support Shroud of the Avatar. Watch this space to learn more soon.

We'll announce in an upcoming update what the special Underworld/SotA co-backer item will be, so stay tuned!

Be sure and check out the Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter site, and if you are as excited about it as we are, then show your support and make a pledge to Raise the Underworld!

Richard Garriott (Ultima, Shroud of the Avatar)
– “For those of us lifelong gamers that go back to the early days of the Underworld franchise, created by Paul Neurath, it represented a watershed event on what an immersive 3D true role-playing game could be. Personally I am as excited about Underworld returning as any game I can imagine.”

Chris Roberts (Star Citizen, Wing Commander) – “Underworld was the first truly 3D textured first-person game… it influenced pretty much all first person 3D games that came afterwards.”

“Most modern gamers probably don’t realize how much their favorite games owe to classic first-person RPG Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss, which laid the foundations back in 1992 for games as diverse as Deus Ex, Bioshock and the Elder Scrolls series." – GameWatcher, January 2015

“But to cast the game as a distant godfather of modern gaming is to misunderstand it: Underworld isn’t done. Looking Glass’ first series was ended prematurely - and Paul Neurath intends to finish it.” – PCGamesN, January 2015

“After 20 years of trying –– and finally succeeding –– to acquire the franchise rights from Electronic Arts, Neurath said the decision to fund the project through Kickstarter has a number of appealing possibilities for the team –– artistic independence, creative leeway and transparency for backers”. – IGN, January 2015

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Certain I read in a response to a direct question either on forums or the KS site that Specter is not a sole contributor in a specific capacity but will be involved with and influence many areas of the design and creative. Also, he and Paul are of very like mind where vision is concerned.

Haters gonna hate and chicken littles gonna chicken little. UW wasn't made by following or Kowtowing to expectations or limitations of others.

imweasel

The sperg is strong in the Star Citizen fan base. Chris Roberts must be proud.

Diablo169

Arcane
Star Citizen has enough backers and funding to be considered a minor religious cult by this point. I'm not really surprised it has a quota of idiots.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
I believe we will see a religion like Scientology spin off of Star Citizen with Chris Roberts as the founder/prophet within the next 100 years.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
"Creative Consultant" can't even adlib a kickstarter plug.

Zep--

Perkel

Arcane
I believe we will see a religion like Scientology spin off of Star Citizen with Chris Roberts as the founder/prophet within the next 100 years.

Considering how scientology was formed.. yeah.
Though internetz people need to come out of their homes which isn't easy.

internet cult ?

"Only today you will be bale to ascend another level and show your pussy to our glorious leader via Skype."

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
321K buckaroos already. Damn, this is good.

But I'm genuinely curious about this:
How are they doing so well? The video was kind of "eh". Didn't think the setting was trendy enough, either.
Thought people only backed faux-80s stuff now.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

How are they doing so well? The video was kind of "eh". Didn't think the setting was trendy enough, either.

They aren't doing so well. Shadowrun had this much after a single day. There is a risk of this KS stalling out at around 400,000 for a long time.

Last edited:

imweasel

They are doing fine. Had a better start than D:OS too.

I can see it eventually reaching 1 - 1.2 million dollars if everything goes well.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Some KS comments: https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/othersidegames/comments

@jacob Our projected release date is based on us meeting our funding goal and achieving a majority of our stretch goals (revealed and not). With all of our experience in game development, we feel this estimate to be reasonable, though things can always change during development.

The pros and cons around co-op mode continues to be one hot discussion topic. We’re listening for sure. There is real work to do co-op, and do it well, which is one reason we put it pretty far up at the $1.2M stretch goal. We do have some creative approaches to co-op which we believe could make it great fun for those who like this style of play. But until we see that the funding is actually getting within spitting distance of the stretch goal, not sure it makes sense to dive into the details quite yet (if everybody promises that we’re going to make it, happy to share now ;) At this point the focus is all on the core game, which will be a delicious singe-player experience.

@Mark Fidell There is a line item at the end of each stretch goal that will be exclusive to Adventurer level backers and up. "Add-Ons" will be any options we unlock that backers can get by adding a specific amount to their pledge. Any digital Add-Ons will be included free for Avatar level backers and up.

We wanted to clarify that for every exclusive in-game item (the ones your character will be able to wear or use) in the pledge tiers, or the ones that might get unlocked in a stretch goals, there will be similar non-exclusive items readily available to all players, backers and non-backers alike, in the released game. The exclusive items will be cosmetically unique and distinctive, but functionally all players will be able to readily find or buy in the game comparable items that provides similar functionality. Take the Silver Avatar’s Ring, provided at the JOURNEYMAN tier, which glows red when an enemy is nearby. Any player will be able to get a generic magic ring that does the same. However, it won’t have the distinctive Avatar’s seal on it, and it might glow white instead of red. These exclusive items are never game changers, just a fun way to show that you got them as a backer.

We’ve been reading through the over 200 Comments posted so far today. Lots of great feedback and questions. Out of these we’ve pulled some of the most frequently voiced, and try to answer them below. Based on the day one comments it’s clear that some of the descriptions on the Kickstarter pages of pledge tiers, rewards and the like could be worded more clearly. In sections where one is allowed to edit text after a campaign goes live, we are revising to improve clarity. We have also added some additional Q&A to the FAQ. We ask for your forbearance while we try to work through these kinks. While we are veteran game developers, we are comparative novices at running a Kickstarter, especially one of this scale and complexity. But we’re learning. Anyway, here are follow ups to some of the more frequent comments: - We had posted earlier today suggesting that fans check out our forums to get more details on questions. This is not to say we won’t use the COMMENTS section; it’s just easier to track all the various comment threads in a forum structure than in here. We’ll do our best to answer questions across both. - We are planning on releasing a DRM-free PC version, as well as releasing a version for Steam. - Some folks have commented on our using the Unity engine. Choosing an engine always entails trade-offs; no engine is perfect. For our project Unity is a strong option. We do plan to upgrade to the Unity 5 engine, which should allow for notably more advanced visuals. Also keep in mind that with the early prototype we’re showing we’ve spent little time on fancy visuals. Our priority in the near term is to sort out the gameplay. Only after we’ve locked that down will we tackle the visual polish of making the game look great. We think this is a smarter approach to development than trying to polish the game when it’s still early on, even if it makes for less visually impressive prototypes a this stage ;) - On all pledge tiers from $20 on up, you’ll get the complete digital copy of the game. The “discount” mentioned is simply so that you know that the $20 and $25 tiers are priced below what the full retail price of the game will be when it is released. - We have a few unique in-game digital STRETCH GOAL items, such as the Silver Ankh of the Undead. These will be unlocked for any Stretch Goals that are reached. Then, for any backers who pledge at the $75 (Adventurer) tier or above they will receive them automatically. These items are intended simply to be fun and distinctive, and are unique more-or-less just cosmetically. None are powerful, or even close to it. Finally, putting aside these STRETCH GOAL items, all the other content and new features in Stretch Goals that get unlocked will be made available to all players of the game, backers and non-backers alike. - Like the STRETCH GOAL items above, the Kickstarter exclusive in-game digital rewards available across pledge tiers are intended just as fun and distinctive items the player’s character can use or wear, with their cosmetics being more-or-less the unique aspect, and none are powerful or even close to it. Again, thanks for your patience while we digest all the feedback and try to thoughtfully respond.

Darkzone

Arcane

They aren't doing so well. Shadowrun had this much after a single day. There is a risk of this KS stalling out at around 400,000 for a long time.
If they gonna stagnate, then between 350k and 550k for around 22 days with just 5k - 10k per day.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like what they're saying about the cosmetic backer items and even co-op. Reading on the forums has led me to believe that co-op really wouldn't be such a huge drain to implement. Though I do still worry that it might influence design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom