Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, Nov 24, 2015.

1. JBro Savant

JBro
    Reminds me of a box cutter.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. vivec Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Very Prosperian. Someone inform him of the copyright infringement.

You might be correct. The sound is probably tied to the *wind* effect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Reminds me of the Keepers' logo.

^ Top  
  4. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    See the problem, to me, is that we have "UW sequel" on the one hand, and "distant from a UW game" on the other hand, and we're supposed to see both statements as compatible; to me a game that borrows more elements from other LGS games than it does from UW is not a UW game, it's a LGS game with some UW elements. Maybe I'm too cynical but I wonder if combining the statements like this was done precisely so that they could decide later on what kind of game they want to make and be able to point at a vague and almost contradictory pitch and say "but it fits", because whether they make a perfect UW successor or a game that has barely anything to do with UW but that takes place in the "Stygian Abyss", they're still being faithful to the pitch. Like I said in my previous post, it could still be a great game (I have doubts about that, but that's another topic), but it's not another UW, and that's going to be more of a disappointment to me than if they had simply pitched "a LGS type game" and left it at that.

I agree with you about the SS remake being a much more clear cut case, and your thoughts on disappointment and expectations. Incidentally I didn't back UWA, because I couldn't see a unifying vision of what game they actually wanted to make (other than "a LGS game"; but that's just my opinion of the pitch), but as you so rightly pointed out it hasn't prevented me from oscillating back and forth between expectation and disappointment :P

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
    I think it's too early to make that call. Wait until 2022, when the game reaches beta.

Show Spoiler
    Zep--

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
    Looks like improved lighting, textures and shaders. Devs mention some new shots coming later this week with next level art direction. Starting to look good.

[​IMG]

• Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zep Zepo Titties and Beer Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

Zep Zepo
    Seriously? You think that looks good? That thing, whatever it is, doesn't fit the design of the world it was placed in. Looks like it was pasted into the scene from a totally different game.

Zep--

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    I'm talking about the environment, not the ghost/lich/whateveritis.

^ Top  
  9. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Anyone interested: this starts in 30 minutes or so, and will be streamed here:

(Apparently there was Shroud of the Avatar talk but whatever.)

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    It's live.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Box art, maybe?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Not much new in the stream. There's a very short gameplay teaser.

Three takeaways:

1) You play yourself in in the game. Your character is supposed to be literally you transported from Earth - "the Avatar". That in itself is not new information, but apparently you'll also meet other characters in the game who are from Earth as well.

2) Confirmed that the rune word-based spellcasting system from the prototype was axed and isn't coming back (not sure if they've said this before?)

EDIT: Or is it?

3) In the Q&A session, Neurath implies that Otherside had to back off from some of the crazier "dungeon ecology" ideas they experimented with during preproduction. They were just too complex.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • decline decline x 4
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Ash Arcane

Ash
    I'm predicting a fun, cool game, with moderately simple, streamlined and convenient yet harmonious and engaging design. Elite masterclass of monocled game design like the classics? ...probably not.

:negative:

...but I suppose we have to take what we can get these days.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. RatTower Arcane Developer

RatTower
    That and the level portals are a bit of a kick in the balls for me. I thought collecting runes was pretty fun. Especially in Arx Fatalis.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  16. Eggs is eggs Learned

Eggs is eggs
    How much Ultima lore is going to be in the game? I know they got the Ultima license but if you're not really going to tell an Ultima story it seems pointless to bother with it.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Actually they don't.

^ Top  
  18. Jedi Exile Arcanum Patron

Jedi Exile
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I hope you are right. The other possibility is a bugged mess with some cool ideas, which developers failed to implement or had to abandon altogether.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Eggs is eggs Learned

Eggs is eggs
    They have the rights to use anything Ultima related, except for the name. It's essentially Ultima Underworld 3. I know Richard Garriott at one point was going to have some kind of tie ins with his Ultima successor but I don't know what happened to that.

• Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Junmarko Arcane

Junmarko
    I really hope not at this point.

[​IMG]

• WTF am I reading x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    I don't think so. In any case, they aren't using them. There are some references to Ultima Underworld 1 (like Tyball and Ishtass) but they appear to be stripped of their Ultima/Britannia context. It's like UW1 is retconned to be a non-Ultima within the context of Underworld Ascendant.

The tie-in is that Ascendant's Dark Elf faction is from Garriott's game. Although we haven't seen much of the three factions recently, they've been focusing on the Lizardmen instead.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • incline incline x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Now on YouTube:

https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=1926.0

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Eggs is eggs Learned

Eggs is eggs
    That makes sense. The 2nd one was a direct Ultima and even the first one had enough Ultima stuff in it that despite all the retcons and such I never realized it wasn't supposed to be an Ultima until I read about the development history. Still I do hope they throw in some Ultima stuff in there.

^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Here we go:

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.