Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unity reveals plans to charge developers per game install - plans modified and CEO fired, lol

Artyoan

Prophet
I'm surprised their share price is only down 7%. I'm guessing investors expect them to rescind. Even still, damage of perception is done. They're looking to pick pockets in some way that they would entertain something this ridiculous.

volklore

Arcane
They say fees are retroactive so I don't get it. Does that mean if you have unity games as a dev you will have to pay some shit for every install since they started tracking installs ?
Is that even legal?

Trithne

Erudite
They say fees are retroactive so I don't get it. Does that mean if you have unity games as a dev you will have to pay some shit for every install since they started tracking installs ?
Is that even legal?
By retroactive, they mean that it will apply to games that were made using unity where the agreement between the devs and Unity did not feature this clause.

They not will charge for installs performed prior to 2024, but they will charge for installs after 2024, even if your game came out in 2013.

This is, of course, legal horseshit.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Is that even legal?
By retroactive, they mean that it will apply to games that were made using unity where the agreement between the devs and Unity did not feature this clause.

They not will charge for installs performed prior to 2024, but they will charge for installs after 2024, even if your game came out in 2013.

This is, of course, legal horseshit.
It only takes one dev to go to court with Unity and win for this scheme to collapse.

Modron

Arcane
In the meantime start downloading your indie itch.io games before developers pull them off that store front.

:Flash:

Arcane
Does anyone know how much EA stock Riccitello still has?
Perhaps it's a plan for EA to acquire Unity?

This reminds me of Stephen Elop coming to Nokia from Microsoft, then deciding to kill MeeGo in favour of Windows Mobile, riding the stock price down and then selling Nokia to Microsoft (of which he still held a lot of stock).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I just can't see this in any way legally binding, you can't just suddenly change your terms of use without an agreement. If I am understanding this correctly. Will just have to wait for the first lawsuit in 2024 challenging this. Or possibly the EU will step in. Or possibly a complaint filed with the SEC.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Remember kids, CEOs make millions and millions of dollars each year because they're just so good at their jobs they make their companies even more profit than they cost.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
You mean, fire the people who actually do important stuff and then, when shit starts falling apart, beg them to come back?
You can point and laugh at many decisions that Musk made concerning 'X', but reducing the headcount from 7500 to below 1500 isn't one of them. They had 1000's of devs and still hardcoded all the goddamn server locations for pitty sake.

How he went about it, sure, that was a shitshow. But it was known Twitter was a bloated overpriced piece of garbage for years. I still stand firm in my beliefs that besides Musk's ineptitude, a lot of what's coming out of Twitter is just the dirty laundry from before Musk.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ahh, I love the smell of PR disaster in the morning.

hecJFXY.gif

Thanks Unity!

flyingjohn

Arcane
full Elon on that company.
That needed to happen a long time ago. These are the last years financials:
282 million in 2020, 533 million in 2021, and 921 million in 2022, all losses. Mostly attributed to a lot of acquisitions that led to more employees and didn't generate any real profit.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You can point and laugh at many decisions that Musk made concerning 'X', but reducing the headcount from 7500 to below 1500 isn't one of them. They had 1000's of devs and still hardcoded all the goddamn server locations for pitty sake.

How he went about it, sure, that was a shitshow. But it was known Twitter was a bloated overpriced piece of garbage for years. I still stand firm in my beliefs that besides Musk's ineptitude, a lot of what's coming out of Twitter is just the dirty laundry from before Musk.

Musk's problem is that he started talking, he's the same asshole that got Tesla or SpaceX going so he's definitely capable as a business man (ie. just one step bellow The Devil). If he wouldn't have bought into the cult of self, it'd be a different story. Twitter still being able to operate after slashing 75% of their workforce just shows what an inept CEO they had before. One that walked out with how many billions? Yeah, fuck capitalism. Too bad the alternatives are famine and genocide.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Interesting to see if they'll backpedal and by how much. Kind of feels like an attempt at a door-in-the-face technique, but going full retard with it and not realizing how fucking stupid they were with this.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
You'd think they'd wait until somebody made a good game with their software before pulling this kind of shit.
I guess they forgot that Daggerfall unity is free (and doesn't qualify for the new fees).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom