Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unity reveals plans to charge developers per game install - plans modified and CEO fired, lol

deuxhero

Arcane

I'm sure what every shareholder wants to hear about something launching in four months is they have "a starting point".

jew art.jpgjew by ben garrison.gifjew palestine.pngjew sketch.pngjewHQ2.jpgjewukiyoe.png

and there's concern developers may now face charges for pirated game installs.
Now you really can just pirate a game and install it over and over until a company goes bankrupt.
Time to make some VMs and create some scripts.
I'm so tickled, I don't even know where to begin... There's so much work to be done!

Like... this is just so fucking batshit insane. To a level that I think even Codexers are not understanding. It's like if Suriname randomly declared war on all U.N. nations, that's how fucking bonkers this is.

I have taught law at an institution that is ranked as one of the best law schools in the U.S.A., and if I'd ever had a student even pussyfooting anywhere close to this branch of legal "theory" I would have flunked them outright. Unity are going to get themselves sued/counter-sued into non-existence.

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but this stinks to high-heaven of botched insider-trading.

Alex

Arcane
So if you "install" a Unity-made game throuh, say, GeForce Now, Nvidia ends up paying money to Unity? :lol:

I believe that since the agreement is between the dev and Unity, only the developer is responsible. I doubt we are so far down the rabbit hole you can demand payment from someone who didn't even agree with an EULA.

deuxhero

Arcane
Like... this is just so fucking batshit insane. To a level that I think even Codexers are not understanding. It's like if Suriname randomly declared war on all U.N. nations, that's how fucking bonkers this is.

I have taught law at an institution that is ranked as one of the best law schools in the U.S.A., and if I'd ever had a student even pussyfooting anywhere close to this branch of legal "theory" I would have flunked them outright. Unity are going to get themselves sued/counter-sued into non-existence.

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but this stinks to high-heaven of botched insider-trading.
Yeah, there's no fucking way this is legal for existing products.

Azdul

Magister
Who would've known that John Riccitello was going to be the man that made Godot popular.
Unity changed their licenses probably due to dire financial situation - and it most likely will accelerate demise of the company. But it does not mean that Godot will soon reach feature parity - and will become 1:1 replacement.

Due to MIT license - you are not obliged to contribute back to Godot project. There is Godot Development Fund - but I don't believe they will get enough voluntary donations to get project up to speed.

It's all due to Nintendo, Sony and to some extend - Microsoft policies. You cannot have GPL engine if you want to publish on consoles.

flyingjohn

Arcane
People defending this are weird. What's stopping Unity from taxing anybody who doesn't reach 200k after this fails?
Call it a hobbyist tax and charge 0.50 cents per install regardless of downloads.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Imagine being more dystopian and greedy than a company like Epic that is 40% owned by the Chinese lmao.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
The other day I was wondering if starting with Godot four years ago was the right call or if should have gone with Unity. It was the right call. Free and open source, if you don't like the direction the developers are taking the engine you can copy the repository and split off into your own direction. If the Godot developers tried a stunt like this the community would do just that.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Already looking for a job in some chinese "install/uninstall" farm to destroy some triple A devs.

DarkUnderlord we need a fundraiser to start an official RPGCodex company!
Unity CEO John Riccitiello sold off 2,000 shares of stock a few days ago and has sold over 50,000 shares in the last year
Source

:lol:
Fucking always. I was expecting such to be the case.

If someone makes an extremely retarded idea at a medium/big company it's always about stocks, shorting, etc. They know what they are doing. They are sinking the company but for great personal gain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom