Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial 'Codex Top Ten - Strategy Edition!

Levski 1912

Scholar
kingcomrade
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:21 pm Post subject:
You like Homeworld 2 more than the original? Why, in God's name?

I've never played the original, but I'm curious- what are the differences? Because I play Homeworld 2 with the PDS 7.1 mod and it's fantastic.

Humanophage

Arcane
Actually, I haven't noticed any fundamental differences between the original Homeworld and its sequel. Homeworld 2 is a bit more fast-paced, it has a better interface, the balance has been slightly altered and that's about it.

I'm not sure if my opinion will amount to anything, but here's my top-10:

1. Heroes of Might and Magic II & III (Perfect strategies of awesome style, balance and depth, I've spent a lot of months playing hotseat with my peers)
2. Age of Wonders I & II (Tremendously interesting games, which weren't nearly as popular as HoMM series for reasons unknown)
3. Warlords II (My first strategy ever, it might be not very complex, but the gameplay is surprisingly fascinating)
4. Rome: Total War (I didn't like Medieval and Shogun because I used to detest 3D, but this one got me engaged in the end; besides, I love the age)
5. Disciples II (This one took the place of HoMM3 as hotseat superstar; the single campaigns also featured a reasonably interesting plot)
6. Civilization I & III (I'm not familiar with the second part, but the third one is considered its clone with better graphics anyway)
7. Age of Empires I (The best RTS for me, tasteful and not very fast-paced; I remember trying to run it properly on my old trusty 486 DX-100)
8. Destiny Sphere (Not sure if it should be mentioned here, as it's an online game; a flash-based TBS with an extremely strong political element)
9. Master of Magic (A well-known classic, I have only laid my hands upon it a couple of years ago and wasn't disappointed)
10 Commandos I (This one was amazingly refreshing for me; it also features a very atmospheric graphic engine)

Some honourable mentions are Fantasy General (I'm surprised that no one has included it into their lists), Fantasy Empires, Alpha Centauri, X-Com: Apocalypse, Master of Orion II, Syndicate, Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War, Cannon Fodder and Caesar. I'm also looking forward to ordering King of Dragon Pass - the demo impressed me so much that I'm probably going to include this RPG/Strategy in my top-10 list later.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Actually, I haven't noticed any fundamental differences between the original Homeworld and its sequel. Homeworld 2 is a bit more fast-paced, it has a better interface, the balance has been slightly altered and that's about it.
What?!
Homeworld 2 is a bit more fast paced and has a better interface, and it is better for skirmish mode, but you don't play Homeworld games for skirmish mode because it sucks. If you've played both games, the campaign for the first game is leaps and bounds better (better music, atmosphere, story, etc) than the one in Homeworld 2. This is because HW2 got shipped as a fetus (before it was due) and they had to rush things.

Try the original, Levski, it's one of the classics. The interface is a little bit harder to use, but not that much, and it is balanced (or at least seems to be) much better than HW2.

Levski 1912

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
What?!
Homeworld 2 is a bit more fast paced and has a better interface, and it is better for skirmish mode, but you don't play Homeworld games for skirmish mode because it sucks. If you've played both games, the campaign for the first game is leaps and bounds better (better music, atmosphere, story, etc) than the one in Homeworld 2. This is because HW2 got shipped as a fetus (before it was due) and they had to rush things.

Try the original, Levski, it's one of the classics. The interface is a little bit harder to use, but not that much, and it is balanced (or at least seems to be) much better than HW2.
If you have Homeworld 2, you should give the Point Defense Systems (PDS) mod a try. It's one of the highest quality mods I've played for any game, and it's a huge enhancement of the original game, especially in the believability/realism department.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom