Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial Oblivion preview!!! Must see to believe!

Sandelfron

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
Correction: Three actually. Bethesda have rights to Fallout 3, 4 and 5.
That's a depressing thought.
DarkUnderlord said:
Bioware also suck, so shame on you.
Nothing I've seen by Bioware has been less than decent so far.
Ever try NWN with the community PRC pack? http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/
DarkUnderlord said:
You call yourself an Australian?
Nah, a 'strane, mate.

Sarvis

Erudite
You covered KOTOR on the PC right? There's no difference between KOTOR on PC and KOTOR on X-Box, so it would seem there is no longer any reason to not cover consoles. In other words, console stuff is at least as good as PC stuff.

You may hate the console stuff, but you rpetty much seem to hate all the PC stuff too. :P

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Shagnak said:
Fez said:
We have the Shit Games Liberation Front, AKA Shagnak, to watch out for any games that might turn out to be not as bad as we thought they were.
Unfortunately I have not been doing my job very well lately.
the d\sheer volume of shit has overwelmed me to the extent that even receiving felatio from bl;onde teenies wont disrct me from the shittines of the current lot.
Sorry :cry:
No wonder you new zealander types drink so much...

corvax

Augur
That's a big IF. However, if such an extraordinary event ever take place, we'll consider covering it.

Well Fallout 3 is defenitely going to be on consoles but that's in a very distant future. I agree with MSFD though, so far consoles have shown significant promise considering games like Kotor 1&2, Morrowind, and Jade Empire. And since all those products sold well such promise can lead into more "complex" rpg's. Now if only more websites/media that cover console games would stop sucking the proverbial cock and learn a little from the Codex then console gaming may indeed be worth serious consideration.

Sandelfron

Scholar
Psilon said:
Actually, there is a pretty good reason why deeper games aren't seen on consoles: hardware. How many times did you have to shrink the Morrowind cell size to fit into the X-Box's 64MB of RAM? Just how small were the Deus Ex 2 maps compared to Deus Ex?
I don't see why content can't be unpacked to the HD and paged in as required.
Psilon said:
And, of course, the more RAM that's filled with BSP trees and streaming textures, the less you have available for all those wonderful global variables.
In a large map BSP trees are often combined with quadtrees-which means you
could page stuff in as required from the HD. Also, space taken by global
variables is negligible.
Psilon said:
Also, what about the gamepads? Practically no one has keyboard/mouse attachments for their console, so the interface will have to be simplified in order to compensate. KOTOR1 inventory interface, anyone?

As long as a majority of the market still has their crappy composite-interface standard TV, you're trapped at a very blurry and prone-to-bleed 640x480.
Yep, consoles are a work of Beelzebub, but at least you get to see
how much faster essentially the same hardware as in your PC runs
when it doesn't have Windows clogging the CPU with crap.

Drakron

Arcane
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Drakron said:
RPGCodex does not cover console games.

That's a bit of a narrow-minded view -- consoles are perfectly capable of having RPGs of the depth and complexity that Codexers are looking for.

So what?

There are sites that only cover Xbox games or PS2 games or even just console games.

There's absolutely no reason whatsoever that games like Fallout 1 and 2, for example, couldn't be fully realized on them.

You joking right?

Both Fallouts had a mouse driven interface and its something that cannot be replicated on a console gamepad.

Ever wonder why consoles have few RTS and FPS?

Because the control system does not go well with then.

RPGCodex should cover (and from what I've seen, for the most part does) GAMES, not platforms. Blind "it's a console and therefore it's for dummies and children" prejudice has no place in intelligent discussion about games.

You want to talk about games, fine but the site does cover PC RPGs only, why dont you go ask the Xbox Offiical Magazine to cover PS2 and PC games as well?

Oh and Sandelfron -- first, so nice to meet you! And second, we didn't inhale.

We wonder about that looking at the PoS performance of Morrowind engine ... of course I remenber Daggerfall engine PoS performance (as well the neverending stream of patches) so it must be tradiction.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
fnordcircle said:
The funny thing is is that I'm as big of a fan of the TES series as anyone who visits this dumb but I'm nowhere near as obssessed with the title as VD. Seriously, you're like a video game stalker or something dude.
Obsessed? I'm not sure that's the right word to use, but I can accept it for the lack of a better one at the moment. I wouldn't be a staff member here if I wasn't. I wouldn't be working on my own game project, if I wasn't.

Oblivion is the only major game that's coming soon. That's why I pay a lot of attention to it. Simple as that.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Hm, according to the top right of the page, the site's motto is "Putting the ROLE back in RPG", not "We cover PC RPGs only".

And sorry, I'm not buying the "mouse based UI could never be ported to a console" argument. There are lots of ways Fallout 1 & 2's UI could be made to work quite well on a console, even keeping the same graphics and layout. Heck, Fallout 1 & 2 could run on a Nintendo DS and KEEP the mouse input. A HANDHELD.

While we're not talking about RTS or FPS games, I'm going to have to call you on the FPS part. There are lots of FPS games on consoles, and have been for many years. Many of them sell extremely well. FPS is just a bad example of your argument.

The fact is, it's the games that are important, not the platform.

Drakron

Arcane
I happen to own a DS and yes, it would work because the DS have a" mouse", the touch screen.

And I hope that I am not giving Interplay any ideas or Bethsoft.

I dont know if you played Fallout(s) but they were build for a mouse interface, how can so solve the problem of aimed shoot that bring up a window displaying the body locations and you have to click on a button, in order to port the game you would have to redesign the GUI interface.

And even if you are calling me on FPS saying they are many in consoles I have to point out that they are still a ninority and the common FPS player rather have mouse aiming that auto aiming and no console can give the aiming precision of a PC without a mouse and only the PS2 have a mouse.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
The fact is, most (Read: 99%) "RPGs" that come out on consoles are shitty JRPGs with little to no roleplaying at all. Why cover them? Does this site really want to end up looking like www.rpgdot.com? Thousands of shitty newsbits a day, totally devoid of substance? Heh, much like console RPGs! :twisted:

Drakron

Arcane
Vykromond said:
Drakron: living under a rock since 1999!

Halo shown that a FPS in a console could sell a lot, before that most console FPS were simply ports of PC FPS.

True that now with companies trying to make a "Halo killer" there are more FPS in consoles that were before but still they are a ninority.

corvax

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
Oblivion is the only major game that's coming soon. That's why I pay a lot of attention to it. Simple as that.
And because most Bethesda discussions" liven up" the relatively stagnant Codex forums :wink:
As far as your fake preview goes I wouldn't be too far off by stating, "VD: fighting terrible marketing with even worse journalism."

Vault Dweller

Developer
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Hm, according to the top right of the page, the site's motto is "Putting the ROLE back in RPG", not "We cover PC RPGs only".
True, but, like I said, we cover RPGs, not games. When RPGs, as we understand that term, start hitting consoles, then we'll talk about what's more important.

Vault Dweller

Developer
hussar said:
Vault Dweller said:
And because most Bethesda discussions" liven up" the relatively stagnant Codex forums :wink:
As far as your fake preview goes I wouldn't be too far off by stating, "VD: fighting terrible marketing with even worse journalism."
Why? It's just a collection of quotes. If they are that horrible, blame Bethesda, not me.

corvax

Augur
Why? It's just a collection of quotes. If they are that horrible, blame Bethesda, not me.
Yeah, but you're not helping by taking those quotes slightly out of context and trying to prove how much the game is gonna suck because it's not Daggerfall. Your other message of retarded marketing by Bethesda gets lost somewhere along the way.

Spazmo

Erudite
Suppose there's one or two valid RPGs on consoles--then what? They'll probably get ported to PC anyways, and if we start covering console games, we'd have to post about Final fucking Fantasy. The bottom line here, really, is that most of the staff are PC gamers. I don't have any consoles. I don't follow console game news. I really don't want to follow console game news just because someone's got to have the latest news on the happenings at SquareSoft. There's dozens of sites that do that. We prefer a narrower focus that reflects the games we actually play and (coincidentally, I'm sure) requires a lot less work.

Vault Dweller

Developer
hussar said:
Yeah, but you're not helping by taking those quotes slightly out of context...
Is that a fact? Proof please.

...and trying to prove how much the game is gonna suck because it's not Daggerfall.
Huh? Where did you read that? I really hate when people post something stupid like that: You hate this game because it's not Fallout / Baldur's Gate / Daggerfall / etc. I judge this game based on what it is or what it appears to be, not based on what other games are/were like.

Sarvis

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
True, but, like I said, we cover RPGs, not games. When RPGs, as we understand that term, start hitting consoles, then we'll talk about what's more important.

If you avoided covering any RPG that didn't meet Codex "roleplaying" standards you wouldn't cover 99% of PC RPGs either!

corvax

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
hussar said:
Yeah, but you're not helping by taking those quotes slightly out of context...
Is that a fact? Proof please.
You damn well know that the game isn't gonna be exactly reflective on what you quoted. And yet all you have provided were those rather silly snippets therefore excluding any other useful info about Oblivion. Maybe that's not taking things out of context but rather taking them to your own spin alley.

...and trying to prove how much the game is gonna suck because it's not Daggerfall.
Huh? Where did you read that? I really hate when people post something stupid like that: You hate this game because it's not Fallout / Baldur's Gate / Daggerfall / etc. I judge this game based on what it is or what it appears to be, not based on what other games are/were like.
Then stop emphasizing that Daggerfall rocked because it had this many skills/guilds/banks/etc., Morrowind less, Oblivion even less...and then say that's dumbing down the game. That isn't necessarily the truth. It's the way they are implemented that counts.

Vault Dweller

Developer
hussar said:
You damn well know that the game isn't gonna be exactly reflective on what you quoted.
It's not gonna have forests? NOOOOOO!!!! What exactly isn't gonna be "reflective"?

And yet all you have provided were those rather silly snippets therefore excluding any other useful info about Oblivion.
Like what? Not enough of IT'S PATRICK STEWART, BITCH!!! coverage? Give me some examples.

Maybe that's not taking things out of context but rather taking them to your own spin alley.
Ok, so I didn't take anything out of context. Thanks.

Then stop emphasizing that Daggerfall rocked because it had this many skills/guilds/banks/etc., Morrowind less, Oblivion even less...and then say that's dumbing down the game. That isn't necessarily the truth. It's the way they are implemented that counts.
Really? So, it's either I ignore the taking things out aka dumbing down trend or I'm a Daggerfall fanboy? Btw, Beth is dumbing the game concept down. Less is rarely more.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Vault Dweller said:
Your definition of 'paying a lot of attention' must include drawing tenuous parallels and throwing shit incessantly, I guess.

Hey, newsflash the Codex hates a game they've never played, I fucking get it can we move on to whatever now?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom