Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Unreal Evolution Mod: Now Released

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Unreal lol you spent hours of your life playing a thing you already knew you didn't like just so you could try to troll the guy who made it

Lemming42

Arcane
:lol: This is gonna be Unreal's next obsession after Black Mesa. 20 hours a day of playing Unreal Evolution over and over, armed with a notepad to jot down all the critical flaws such as "Stone texture is wrong".

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Cool story bro. You're retarded but at least you went and played the mod this time (or watched a YT playthrough). Nice job with the fake news. There's not "two or three times as many enemies", not even close, weapons aren't "gimped to justify the ugrades". It's actually the opposite: all weapons have (minor) buffs in various ways. There's actually one or two more amplifiers than vanilla. You're being completely disingenious about the "pointless upgrades". There were gasbags in the mothership vanilla. You're accurate about additional subtle signposting to help with navigation in some cases. This is a good thing, not a bad thing you dumbass...eh whatever. It was a pleasure to have "wasted your time", and have fun "wasting your time" with the RTNP expansion pack which I'm sure you'll want to play next. The best you could do is make up hyperbole and complain about a goddamn texture change?
I disagree with the inclusion of the upgrades and think they are a worthless addition. This is not being ‘disingenuous’. The only one being disingenuous is you. Oh, there isn't exactly that many enemies, therefore I'm wrong. There was probably 2.5 times as many. I totally got it wrong, right. That surely refutes everything I ever said. Oh, there were maybe a couple of Gasbags in the original mothership, now the point I was making is completely invalid. But where even are said Gasbags? Not even UnrealEd could find them, I guess they must be invisible or something. I don't know anything about amplifiers, therefore I am totally wrong. Navigating the Sunspire isn't hard and adding extra help for retards who can't figure it out is, like, super inclined, duh. What about the music changes, what about the uber-retardo spider maze? Seems like you don't have any way to defend your shit, so you just won't acknowledge it. Your story is even cooler than mine, bro. Clearly I can't have played it myself, because if I did, I'd be in love with you. Just because you are so awesome and can't do wrong. Rating me FAKE NEWS? The joke writes itself.

Unreal lol you spent hours of your life playing a thing you already knew you didn't like just so you could try to troll the guy who made it
Yeah bro, I also played Daikatana just to troll John Romero. In other words, seeing modders fuck up is funny.

:lol: This is gonna be Unreal's next obsession after Black Mesa. 20 hours a day of playing Unreal Evolution over and over, armed with a notepad to jot down all the critical flaws such as "Stone texture is wrong".
Yeah, look at all... 0 hours I've been giving to Black Mesa since I talked about it. It surely can't be that I noticed the shitty stonevomit texture immediately, nah, it's clearly autism lmao herpaderp. Very interesting how it's the same few retards defending every game I complain about. Makes you think.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Was your family killed by a gang of marauding modders? There's got to be some deeper reason for the anti-modder crusade you're on.

Dude, legit thread idea: we all suggest our favourite classic mods/WADs/fan maps, and you play them and tell us exactly what's wrong with them in a series of bulletpoints. No joke, this could be Codex thread of the year 2020.

ARCANE DIMENSIONS TOTALLY RUINED BY ODD FENCE TEXTURE IN THIS MAP

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Was your family killed by a gang of marauding modders? There's got to be some deeper reason for the anti-modder crusade you're on.
If my family are video games, then yes. Though really this is no different from when I complain about any game, so I can't say it's specifically about mods.

Dude, legit thread idea: we all suggest our favourite classic mods/WADs/fan maps, and you play them and tell us exactly what's wrong with them in a series of bulletpoints. No joke, this could be Codex thread of the year 2020.
Well, that sure sounds like fun, doesn't it. I haven't played Arcane Dimensions yet, and I already don't like it. See? You're already laughing.

Anyway, what's wrong with Ash? He's always been edgy in all of his posts even before I made him butthurt.

Ash

Arcane
Stealth update. To install, download 2.2 from moddb and run the exe. Install over your current. Simple.

2.2 Stealth update

-Minor adjustment to quadshot firing volumes
-Bugfix: quadshot now receives damage mods properly.
-Included Rosodude's rocket Launcher Alt fire rocket rotation improvement
-Nalic2: Reduced the number of skaarj officers spawned in the arena to 4
-Nalic2: Made behemoth chamber's pickup easily visible
-Reduced CA Rifle accuracy by ~30%
-Changed RL/GL Blast Radius mod to instead reduce blast radius, but increase direct hit damage
-Fixed new gore spawning red blood for Mercenaries and Spiders
-Embedded UE Mutator into the respective gamemodes. This way when using the OPEN command, or opening a map via Unrealed, the mutator will always be active.
-Ensured flares, automag clips and stinger ammo always fall to the floor after being replaced by mutator as they are spawned from breakable containers.
-Increased the potency of automag mag upgrades: +7 clip size, and +9 clip size. Up from +5 and +7. This is to maker the automag better rival the minigun, and the opposing upgrades.
-Slightly increased automag alt fire accuracy further to make it better rival the minigun.
-recoil mods now reduce ca rifle recoil by 35% each. quadshot remains 50% each.
-Crashsite1: moved nali ghost to a fairer location.
-Ported the 'spawnmass' console command from Deus Ex. essentially the summon command but spawns multiple instances of whatever you summon

'spawnmass classname ' will spawn many of the desired class.
'spawnmass classname number' will spawn the desired class the number of times you specified

Parsifarka

Arcane
At long last, I completed Unreal. I played through in Unreal difficulty; for the most part the game was challenging, but ever after the first fight against the flying demon it turned into a nightmare, reaching its peak in the Darkening level. I felt naked. I fell back to having only ammo for the silly razorjack and bioweapon, totally changing the gameplay; hard as nails, the bloody map is infested by the toughest fellows in Na Pali.
Since this was my first time playing the game, I cannot comment much on the changes the mod brought. I'll say though that I didn't use the dodging maneuver at all since it's useless in the frequent corridors and when in open spaces I saw no advantage over side-jumping.
The arenas are painfully awful, particularly that at the end of Cellars at Dasa Pass which is very small and even more reiterative than those at the ISV-Kran, which I thought were amateurish enough. I reckon this is the lazy design of the game itself, but tweaking this shitty slog would be welcomed.
The stone-giants are incredibly boring to fight, except for the last one at the Cellars as well, who is assisted by pesky minions leveling up the challenge. The worst of them all was the extra-tough one at Velora Pass -I lost half my health because I couldn't focus anymore due to pure exhaustion and boredom, the fucker just wouldn't die. Very bad design.
Overall, I'm amazed by how crappy the game is, even though it has wonderful ingredients -beautiful and varied world, decent enemy diversity, good music, bloody gibs, female groaning for the main character, original weapons (maybe too original, one often feels lacking the proper tool for the situation) and, on top of all, a remarkable AI which is beyond today's sad standards. But playing it is a chore.
I thank your efforts nonetheless, as I've seen some vids of the vanilla game and it looks like you made the enemies more interesting to fight and added a lot to those wicked final levels I enjoyed so much. Except for those fat spiders, I hate them, they are way too tough, sneaky (tiny hit-boxes) and hard hitting -speaking of spiders, the dark maze was good, and a short, nice change of pace which got me some Tomb Raider vibes.
Thanks for the mod without which I would probably have never set my mind to finally play through Unreal, but I don't think I will touch this mediocre FPS ever again; and people say Quake 2 is bad... I'll remember the AI and the brief low gravity segments fondly, though.

Ash

Arcane
IMO Unreal is one of the best FPS of all time. In the top ten somewhere. Not as good as Build or idTech classics, but worthy. Shame you didn't enjoy it, even despite my efforts to optimise the design.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Overall, I'm amazed by how crappy the game is
Well, you know, it was your choice to install the mod which made the game harder and play it on a difficulty harder than hard. So you think the mod is good but also think the game is painfully awful, which is partly said mod's fault. Okay. See, this is why I give mods like this so much shit. Because retards will use it for their first playthroughs and form their opinions of the game based on that. It wasn't that bad even with the mod installed, except for the spider maze which you liked for some reason, so I guess you just have shit taste or something.

schru

Arcane
I haven't played the mod yet, but the original game has only a handful of arena-like set pieces and I recall only one of them being actually a bit tedious and long, the one at the end Cellars at Dasa Pass. There were others like the one in the initially dark chamber in Demon Crater, but those were pretty short and enjoyable, and the chase-around in MotherShip Core's corridors was actually fun. The game's main problem was the rather unengaging combat early on, before getting more interesting and powerful weapons like the Flak Cannon, Razorjack, or the Sniper Rifle. The game doesn't get very difficult or frustrating at any point on normal.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Well, you know, it was your choice to install the mod which made the game harder and play it on a difficulty harder than hard. So you think the mod is good but also think the game is painfully awful, which is partly said mod's fault. Okay. See, this is why I give mods like this so much shit. Because retards will use it for their first playthroughs and form their opinions of the game based on that. It wasn't that bad even with the mod installed, except for the spider maze which you liked for some reason, so I guess you just have shit taste or something.
I know you're very upset about someone having touched your sacred cow so you can't properly read my post, but nowhere I complained about difficulty in absolute terms. Quite the opposite, I complimented the later levels which are the hardest in the game; the issue is with stupid difficulty, which tests patience and tolerance for silly design, instead of reflexes and fast decision making. And as far as I know these are problems of the game itself, as I had no issue with the grudges you listed against the mod.
I find it amusing that you're so hurt by the difficulty spike which actually makes the game more interesting. Do you even like Unreal as a FPS? It sounds like you play it just to chill, like I would play a HoMM or a Harry Potter game when I don't want to be challenged but to relax.

There were others like the one in the initially dark chamber in Demon Crater, but those were pretty short and enjoyable, and the chase-around in MotherShip Core's corridors was actually fun.
The start of Demon Crater I wouldn't count as an arena, since enemies clearly come through the unlocked door in the upper floor, they don't fall from the sky over your head. It's pretty fun, as many sport rocket launchers or razorjacks so it's easy due to the layout to make them aggro each other.
I had forgotten about the arena in the MotherShip Core, true, and if I did it was because I had no issue with it at all, since it's part of the segment I enjoyed the most out of the game. This time the whole level is the arena instead of being confined to a ridicule space where enemies can literally fall on your head, and that's pretty neat. Once again, my issue is with bad design.

The game doesn't get very difficult or frustrating at any point on normal.
Yet again, I never complained about difficulty otherwise I would have dropped the difficulty level like a peasant. I like being challenged; as soon as the game got me on my back foot I couldn't stop playing (last eight levels or so, I completed them all on a single session). My trouble is bad difficulty (i.e. just grinding through bloat) the rest of the game.

Wait, there were arenas in ISV-Kran?
I mean other than the minor one in shuttle bay, decks 2&3.
Of course not, no arenas at all! I mean besides the one at deck 4, which is the first in the game wherein with no previous notice skaarj start falling off the ceiling for minutes and I thought the game was broken; then another one in the very same level where upon picking up an item they again fall off the ceiling this time in a very small room; and the one in those corridors at the beginning of deck 1, which I guess is kinda fun for the first ten enemies but gets weary by the end.
Wouldn't it have been cool to have an engagement in the low gravity of the reactor room in decks 2 & 3? They had the ingredients, but they mixed them up so clumsily.

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I know you're very upset about someone having touched your sacred cow so you can't properly read my post, but nowhere I complained about difficulty in absolute terms.
So you just don't like it that sometimes some monsters spawn in from where-ever? Who cares about shit like that? It doesn't seem like you actually have any valid complaints. Sorry for assuming you were less retarded than you actually are.

I find it amusing that you're so hurt by the difficulty spike which actually makes the game more interesting. Do you even like Unreal as a FPS?
How would you know whether the game was ‘more interesting’ this way? You hadn't even played it before. The extra behaviours amounted to very little. So some guys can turn invisible or whatever, and...? That just means the game now has even more stuff to pad out fights without actually doing anything.

I play FPSes on hard, but that's because I'm too good at them now to play them on normal. Difficulty settings are just there to keep the game from being too easy, otherwise it doesn't actually make it any more interesting. The kind of difficulty that is interesting is that which comes from how the game is designed, and not from increasing some numbers. The mod does try to do something new, but it utterly fails as all of it is just pointless shit that achieves nothing. The difficulty instead came from all the random enemies dumped in places they don't belong, which is just stupid and spoils the setting in addition to making the game tedious to play. I'd rather play the original game on the hardest difficult than play this mod on normal.

Wouldn't it have been cool to have an engagement in the low gravity of the reactor room in decks 2 & 3? They had the ingredients, but they mixed them up so clumsily.
That room didn't actually have low gravity originally, that was something the mod added.

Do you even like Unreal as a FPS? It sounds like you play it just to chill, like I would play a HoMM or a Harry Potter game when I don't want to be challenged but to relax.
No, I don't play Unreal to ‘chill’, that's what deathmatch is for. I play games for the ‘experience’ (this does not mean what you think it means), which difficulty may or may not be a part of. I don't want extra difficulty if it means screwing up the rest of the game. By the way, PC games are simulations, not ‘challenges’, Unreal is just a fantasy tech-demo, and Doom is a DnD-inspired dungeon crawler. also codexers playing harry potter games lol

RoSoDude

Arcane
I hated ISV-Kran Deck 4 on my OldUnreal 227 playthrough (I specify this because I think it was on Hard and the OldUnreal guys added some truly awful difficulty scaling parameters that made the highest settings miserable exercises in savescumming, and I'm not sure if they played a role on Hard). I actually loved it in the release version of UE, though. It's cramped but there are options for movement and escape and places to duck out of the way to gather resources or bait traps. I also liked the arena fights in Dasa Cellars for the most part, save for stingy checkpointing on Hardcore and the bullshit instakill damage from Titan rock bouncing (both of which have been remedied). I agree that arena fights where the doors lock behind you and enemies pour in from above can be trite if they dominate a game's encounter design, but they're used sparingly in Unreal as a distinct sort of combat challenge and I find them enjoyable, particularly with the mod's weapon upgrades and improvements to dodging. Shame you found the game tedious and frustrating overall.

Parsifarka

Arcane
So you just don't like it that sometimes some monsters spawn in from where-ever? Who cares about shit like that?
I do because it matters. I'm very fond of Painkiller and Serious Sam, both being designed around arenas though with very different characteristics -I've never been bored by them; when horde after horde of enemies goes against me in Serious Sam my adrenaline pumps up and dopamine kicks in after vanquishing the foes. When I survive one of those arenas I mentioned as flawed in Unreal I thank God, because I was bored to death -and the layout has much to do with it.
The flow of the enemies into the arena (as in Demon Crater) dictates how to move, it's a beautiful harmony when it's done properly. Tao-like. However if enemies fall right on your head in a crammed room wherein you just randomly stumble your way around, this cannot be. There's tactics in the action when you can assess the threats as they get into the fray.
When the arena involves the whole level in Unreal (i.e. MotherShip Core) you have several ways to approach the spawning enemies, facilitating the effective use of different weapons; contrariwise when Unreal traps you in a ten square meters room very few weapons are useful, and the rest will be of suboptimal forced use when ammo runs out. And the worst of it all, it involves a tedious repetition of exactly the same movements whereas larger arenas allow for innovation and new situations evolving out of the interaction between player and the tricky enemies.
Painkiller often uses small scale arenas too, but the enemies are shallower than Unreal's so they can be played with instead of entering the repetition lock and its weapons and the player's speed are suit for such spaces; I think Epic fellows got them both right with Unreal Tournament.

How would you know whether the game was ‘more interesting’ this way? You hadn't even played it before. The extra behaviours amounted to very little. So some guys can turn invisible or whatever, and...? That just means the game now has even more stuff to pad out fights without actually doing anything.
I hadn't mentioned it earlier because I did not deem it relevant, but I played Unreal for the first time about fifteen years ago, and I left it by the water temple; along the years I tried to play it several times but always dropped it not many levels in. This is the only time I've felt motivated enough to play it through, as it was indeed more interesting.

The difficulty instead came from all the random enemies dumped in places they don't belong, which is just stupid and spoils the setting in addition to making the game tedious to play. I'd rather play the original game on the hardest difficult than play this mod on normal.
So the original had less combat but it isn't any better. Ok.

That room didn't actually have low gravity originally, that was something the mod added.
So indeed the mod improved the game, as I stated that it was one of the few things that impressed me. Thanks Ash

No, I don't play Unreal to ‘chill’, that's what deathmatch is for.
Clearly ‘chill’ does not mean what you think it means.

By the way, PC games are simulations, not ‘challenges’, Unreal is just a fantasy tech-demo, and Doom is a DnD-inspired dungeon crawler.
This is one of the most retarded statements I've read in this site outside GD, quite an achievement.
Clearly an arbitrary definition of games as simulations must thoroughly exclude the idea of overcoming progressively harder ‘challenges’ that test the proficiency with the mechanics as no one plays games for that but to 'experience' being a space marine trapped in hell.
Your wild butthurt doesn't allow you to see that I openly accepted the possibility of enjoying non-challenging games when I referred to the pleasantness of playing HoMM or Harry Potter, and I assumed you played Unreal this way. If there's a difference in positions you failed to show it with your simulation approach.

But what is most remarkable about your post is the way you define Unreal, one of your favorite games... which is hard to believe you even consider a game as it's 'just a fantasy tech-demo'.

also codexers playing harry potter games lol
What, don't you like high fantasy wizardry simulations? Your previous posts made me doubt you really liked Unreal but now I'll even dispute that you're a RPG fan.

You can rate me retadred already and call it a day, as I reckon this silly discussion won't get us anywhere.

Ash

Arcane
I can fix that Krall Arena, since I was going to stealth update a BSP problem on SkyTown. On Dasa Cellars there are three Krall Arenas. In two, Krall spawning is reasonable. In the final, they spawn on your head and I've seen numerous complaints about it. Personally I never addressed it because it never bothered me, just keep moving. And enemies dropping on your head is very common in this game lol (Skaarj traps). But I can see how many would find it to be a problem. Anyways I can add three tunnels (replacing the three drop points) they drop down into at opposing ends of the arena, it would take all but 5 minutes, and it wouldn't change the fight in any significant way beyond making it a touch easier and stopping enemies from dropping on your damn head.

Also reminder that dodging is much improved in Unreal Evolution and you should absolutely use it. The game will be harder if you don't.

-It's a lot faster than just simply strafing. I made sure of it otherwise it's pointless like it was vanilla.
-You get three dodges in a row before cooldown, instead of one.
-Small objects on the floor no longer block dodging
-any kind of slope or incline no longer blocks dodging (you couldn't dodge up any geometry that was at a rising angle vanilla, even if it was 2 degrees).
-Optional dedicated dodge key so that you don't accidentally dodge with double tap dodge, which happens often. Highly recommend you use this over double tap.
-It's good to use in indoors or outdoors, as long as you're skilled and don't dodge into walls and such.
-You can dodge underwater. Good not just for combat, but also simply swimming faster.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I hadn't mentioned it earlier because I did not deem it relevant, but I played Unreal for the first time about fifteen years ago, and I left it by the water temple;
In other words, you got lost and gave up.

Clearly ‘chill’ does not mean what you think it means.
Deathmatch is the number-one turn-your-brain-off game, didn't you know? Just run around and shoot people while you listen to a podcast or Youtube video or something, that's what I always do.

This is one of the most retarded statements I've read in this site outside GD, quite an achievement.
Clearly an arbitrary definition of games as simulations must thoroughly exclude the idea of overcoming progressively harder ‘challenges’ that test the proficiency with the mechanics as no one plays games for that but to 'experience' being a space marine trapped in hell.
I speak trollishly, but it is actually true. They are about simulation and interactivity and complexity, not meticulously designed challenges (which is what arcadey weeaboo games are). That does not preclude it from being challenging in its own way, of course, but the idea is very different. I'd rather have my Unreal be System Shock, not Dark Souls.

Your wild butthurt doesn't allow you to see that I openly accepted the possibility of enjoying non-challenging games when I referred to the pleasantness of playing HoMM or Harry Potter, and I assumed you played Unreal this way. If there's a difference in positions you failed to show it with your simulation approach.
Sure, they're pleasant, but I wouldn't play anything to ‘chill’ or ‘relax’. Those are words you'd use to describe faggy ASMR shit.

But what is most remarkable about your post is the way you define Unreal, one of your favorite games... which is hard to believe you even consider a game as it's 'just a fantasy tech-demo'.
Quake is an RPG.

What, don't you like high fantasy wizardry simulations? Your previous posts made me doubt you really liked Unreal but now I'll even dispute that you're a RPG fan.
How many have you played? One? Two? You're not a true wizard until you've played all 500 versions of each game, duh.

Ash

Arcane
Some stupid things were said about the spider maze in this mod. It's a classic FPS-inspired maze by design. A design style which dominated nearly every FPS prior to Unreal. My focus was heavily gameplay oriented and dictated, though atmosphere was important too. I also made it unique across the game in that every time you play it will play out differently in terms of enemy placement. Lastly, the maze does not appear on lower difficulties.

Pay your respects to classic FPS maze design. It goes all the way back to the first FPS ever (technically), Maze War (1972)

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
It's a classic FPS-inspired maze by design. A design style which dominated nearly every FPS prior to Unreal.
By ‘every FPS’, you mean... Marathon and nothing else. But even its bug mazes were better than that shit. You seriously think that was comparable to the likes of Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, games that thrived on having anything other than boring, blocky environments? It's just pointless shit that doesn't deserve to be in the game on any difficulty. At the very least it could have been a secret area instead of being randomly inserted at a critical moment just because you think you're cool enough to do that. I guess retards will still enjoy it anyway, though, so congratulations.

Ash

Arcane
Play more games

I was told you are a virgin dumbass teenager. Seems you're a virgin FPS gamer too.

You also don't seem to understand that a maze, in its purest most focused form, is by design intended to be blocky. What's so difficult to understand? Blocky mazes even exist in real life as games for human to navigate, or in the case of the Egyptian Pyramids as means to confuse grave robbers. Also even with your examples, Doom and Blood, for two, both had blocky maze sections. Those sections were designed to be, first and foremost, a blocky maze.

Here is one of the most obvious examples:

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
You posted so fast you forgot your button. ‘virgin FPS gamer’, an insult only a ‘dumbass teenager’ would use. I guess it's true, I've never played the Wolfenshit 3D clones you apparently used as your inspiration. Such classics, right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom