Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Urban Strife - turn-based zombie survival RPG

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you're a hurry, the short story is that we have three events lined up where we'll have a demo (plot twist: not THE SAME demo, do note). First in December this year, next in January 2023 and finally the February 2023 Next Fest.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Urban Strife - Halloween 2022 Development Update
When can we play the game?
Let’s start with the elephant in the room - release date. No, we cannot set a precise day yet, as much as we wish that day was upon us. But we can have a fair estimate that work on the game will be in pretty good shape at the end of Q1 2023 so around that time we can have a chat about the big day coming. But wait, so when do we get to play, you ask?

Well, since we’re entering the end stretch of this marathon, we will try to be about everywhere you, our players, might be. We’ll have a combat demo this December, if our friends from Turn Based Lovers will pick us for their #TurnBasedFest event. We hear there are already 300 plus submissions so the company will be awesome. Come January, we have another event lined up at the end of the month where we hope to showcase the shelter mechanics and the economy. And no later than February, for the grand finale, we’ll be at Spring NextFest (this one is 100% confirmed), with what we hope will be a demo that will give you a taste of all critical features and give us a lot of essential feedback for the final bugfix before release. So don’t worry, the horde is coming!

New factional groups
Work will focus now on mid to late game campaign, but until we have something worthy to showcase from there, we have prepared a quick sneak peek into the factional groups you will encounter when exploring the sectors closer to home base.

In no particular order, meet the Courthouse Police, trying to maintain order in a sector where the local brewery is way more popular than the volunteer hospital and triage. Although morale is low, mostly due to the Army not delivering promised supplies and reinforcements, they are still a force to be reckoned with, boasting snipers, dangerous marshals and shotgun toting troopers.

081c43e721bd44c3ccccbde6d3e20c1b06492b1d.png

Travel into the more suburban parts of the city and you’ll meet a lovely group of bounty hunters, visiting the Whitepond Supermarket neighborhood in search of a family of cultists, the Saint brothers. Once supermarket owners, the Saint family has discovered new abilities in working with the undead and are slowly training them into a loyal army. But there are people in Urban less than delighted with the existence of the zombie cult on the premises, hence the visit of the aforementioned bounty hunters.

b7cee03b7814d53524b22c8cbace5a92c68d38e1.png

Move down White River and you’ll eventually meet the Devilsons, a biker clan and a family business centered around turning scrap metal into badass choppers. The patriarch, Rick Devilson, has reached an age where he is hoping his twin sons, Brad and Hawk, will take over the shop. Instead the two dimwits have decided it is better to go to war against each other over a shared love interest. Without spoiling the story here's a couple of friendly local union workers who decided to take advantage of the moment and “renegotiate” their contract with Rick Devilson, with one of his sons as collateral. A fun bunch, guaranteed.

8ebd8d33befa241a2a5e8f97dec08f816f1dab02.png

Finally, the local FBI office will be very much interested in what goes on in the Devilson Scrapyard, but meeting them is an experience in itself so we won’t give out too many spoilers. Their fancy black jeeps are all gassed up and ready for the upcoming raids on the criminal underworld. Only there’s a small problem with the assault team having their entire inventory of body protection gear stolen by some mysterious local thieves. No more cavalry coming to help anyone, unless you decide to help the federal investigation and make some kevlar vests “magically” turn up.

d708fe8573e1ec632e4da42e9daa44515d09f834.png

Looting improvements - special “looted” state for containers

In the same effort to make looting less of a chore and more of a hint of opening Christmas presents, we decided to stick to a library of lootable containers, places where common sense would tell you that loot can be. Also these containers will have a special asset blueprint with a looted state that will visibly indicate you don’t need to bother checking them, so less carpal nerve damage for you. In this respect we’ve modified our vehicles so now they have trunks/bonnets that open after you loot them and we’ll be going through the furniture assets too with the same plan.

de090c08757c4e87108db74a55bd35a90a5e3dcb.gif

Interface Upgrades
We have redesigned stealth indicators to be clearly visible in dangerous places. The red “no access” tiles, enemy sight and hearing ranges are now clearly visible on mouse hover. We have kept the effect discrete though in order not to disturb your immersion. Another area we’re looking for serious upgrades into is the inventory management interface, but it's too WIP to show anything yet.

bb23654c3ac172a015cd5b0fe69d8c73349d1181.png

Other improvements in progress
We’re looking to improve the game experience with an immersive new soundtrack. Will have more details as we progress further with this. Animations are still being upgraded and, in case you didn’t notice, we have new 2D art for our Steam page and social media platforms.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2022 doesn't deserve a good game, simply of the account on being a relative of 2020 and 2021.
2023 has a chance to redeem New Year's resolutions and wishes. Hope whoever is in charge of that gets the hint and doesn't make it worse.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2022 doesn't deserve a good game, simply of the account on being a relative of 2020 and 2021.
2023 has a chance to redeem New Year's resolutions and wishes. Hope whoever is in charge of that gets the hint and doesn't make it worse.
2022 could use a pick-me-up.

Modron

Arcane
2022 is over. No more proper rpgs, or jrpgs even, until next year. Holiday slump is upon us.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I know the resident shill Infinitron is always ready to sell his arse for a few free copies from Sawyer, so let us promote something good for once. Because I doubt this will be featured on the front page, since it is neither CYOA nor popamole.

There is a lot to like about this game in my opinion,
  • turn based + squad based + isometric (purest RPG format derived directly from wargaming tradition)
  • no early access bullshit. It's done when it's done
  • published by Microprose (Darklands, XCOM, Civ II, Master of Orion, Midwinter)
  • small team (incline)
  • JA2 spiritual successor but with zombies
  • modding support
Things I don't like or am suspicious about,
  • art direction is generic
  • shelter building mechanics (don't like system bloat)
  • uncertain amount of content
  • they claim high moddability but we know UE isn't (it is a good engine though)
I know my groggy friends will like it Tom Baker's Arse Gregz Zed Duke of Banville JarlFrank Lilura
and other bros Chaotic_Heretic Commissar Draco Darkozric Dreed Van-d-all Sentinel Valky SlumLord agris Brozef Goral Corvinus Kyl Von Kull @TheSentinel J1M Bester

Lastly, if anyone knows whether the devs are here or not do invite them for some benevolent roasting. It's better for everybody that way.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's been on my Wishlist for a long long time, and I think I even posted once or twice in the official thread here where the dev posted too.

This looks like it's gonna be Dead State but done much better.

EDIT: Just wanted to tag USG_Mucifikatorul but then luj1 's thread got merged with this one. That was quick!

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
EDIT: Just wanted to tag @USG_Mucifikatorul but then @luj1 's thread got merged with this one. That was quick!

It was quick because butthurt shill and Obshitian's toothless whore Infinitron hates incline

God forbid that an actual well designed RPG gets some visibility

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Urban Strife is very cool and I've posted about it on the front page several times. Little major news about it over the past year, waiting for a launch date.

Also, it's an RPG set in the modern day, so it's likely that at some point somebody on this forum will find a reason to call it woke. Be prepared.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Bro what are you doing here??

Soyer farted it needs to be on the front page ASAP. Or maybe he has a new bicycle... o-o-or maybe he is having crabs for breakfast?

Stop wasting time

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I have to say a new thread about Urban Strife is totally dangerous

Because its not like the forum is full of insane people posting random junk

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
  • turn based + squad based + isometric (purest RPG format derived directly from wargaming tradition)
  • small team (incline)
  • modding support

Let me add good overall production standard, with animation standing out

ropetight

Savant
I know the resident shill Infinitron is always ready to sell his arse for a few free copies from Sawyer, so let us promote something good for once. Because I doubt this will be featured on the front page, since it is neither CYOA nor popamole.

• small team (incline)
  • modding support
Things I don't like or am suspicious about,
  • art direction is generic
  • shelter building mechanics (don't like system bloat)
  • uncertain amount of content
  • they claim high moddability but we know UE isn't (it is a good engine though)
I know my groggy friends will like it Tom Baker's Arse Gregz Zed Duke of Banville JarlFrank Lilura
and other bros Chaotic_Heretic Commissar Draco Darkozric Dreed Van-d-all Sentinel Valky SlumLord agris Brozef Goral Corvinus Kyl Von Kull @TheSentinel J1M Bester

Lastly, if anyone knows whether the devs are here or not do invite them for some benevolent roasting. It's better for everybody that way.
This latest reincarnation of MicroProse really looks interesting; after Spectrum Holobyte disaster in 1990s, and desecration of once proud corpse by Infogrames/Atari it appears they have found their way, similar to their golden age.
Lots of strategies/tactical games, simulations, some adventures... and the games don't look bad.
Certainly gives hope.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This latest reincarnation of MicroProse really looks interesting; after Spectrum Holobyte disaster in 1990s, and desecration of once proud corpse by Infogrames/Atari it appears they have found their way, similar to their golden age.
Lots of strategies/tactical games, simulations, some adventures... and the games don't look bad.
Certainly gives hope.

It's an interesting story because in 2019 Microprose was acquired by some guy who made military simulation software. He also worked for the Australian branch of Bohemia Interactive (Operation Flashpoint, ARMA). This person was buying Microprose IPs off one by one since 2005.

This caught the attention of Bill Stealey (guy who founded MicroProse with Sid Meier) who now returned to the company.

I believe this background has strong implications for deep realistic combat in Urban Strife. Different material penetration, ballistic calculation, physics and cover, etc. They said each bullet or shotgun pellet has its own trajectory calculation, with caliber specific material penetration power.

Yes, it will be incredible combat incline.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
I know my groggy friends will like it @Tom Baker's Arse @Gregz @Zed Duke of Banville @JarlFrank @Lilura
and other bros @Chaotic_Heretic @Commissar Draco @Darkozric @Dreed @Van-d-all @Sentinel @Valky @SlumLord @agris @Brozef @Goral @Corvinus @Kyl Von Kull @TheSentinel @J1M @Bester
I hope those GOG fags will bring the game, cuz I don't use steam. These kind of incline efforts should be rewarded with money, don't want to pirate this shit.

Since you mention Microprose, and for anyone who isn't aware, they will also publish Neyyah (there's an adventure thread about it).

A Riven-like first person adventure incline by 1 dude. A prestigious effort that should also be rewarded by the codex puzzlefags/atmosfags.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's true that this game has a cool combat engine, but that's due to the Romanian devs making the game, not the publisher. They only signed up with MicroProse in 2020.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
It's true that this game has a cool combat engine, but that's due to the Romanian devs making the game, not the publisher. They only signed up with MicroProse in 2020.
Microprose has a tradition of choosing potentially prestigious titles, I'm sure luj1 meant it as good sign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom