Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valve says games cost too much

kazgar

Arcane
Just after reading Vogels comments on the matter, and someone commenting how steam sales help with visibility.. (and was not useful enough for the steam sales thread)

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/valve- ... -expensive

Valve: Are Games Too Expensive?
Convincing results from pricing experiments on Steam say that just might be the case.

Some highlights

Although Valve was initially afraid that volatility or variability in pricing would confuse or anger its customers--or even cannibalize retail sales--Newell says that was not all the case.

In fact, it dramatically increased sales. Illustrating his point, Newell showed the results of a Left 4 Dead promotion Valve ran last weekend, which cut the price of the game in half to $25. The discount (and promise of new content for the game) rocketed sales of the game on Steam by 3,000 percent.

Still skeptical? Newell said that a weekend sale of one third-party title drove that game's sales up by 18,000 percent and units-sold increased 36,000 percent. It energized the user base, says Newell. When the sale ended, baseline sales were double what they were prior to the weekend discount.

And this doesn't even go into the wallet-rape that is regional pricing.

MetalCraze

Arcane
In my region steam games now cost twice or thrice as less as in Kwa :smug:

Of course if they are not an overhyped shit that I don't care about like CoD

The Ticktockman

Scholar
It's almost as if Valve have known this for 2.5 years, have taken the knowledge to heart, convinced many devs, and have been heavily discounting games on a daily basis, with huge sales every half year.
Wait a sec!

Gord

Arcane
Do games cost too much?

Outside of sales, games on Steam certainly do. After all, I can get most of them cheaper in retail...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That article is nearly three years old. Not that it doesn't still hold true.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Clockwork Knight said:
So...people buy more of your stuff when it's cheaper?

Fuck! You may be on to something there...

:retarded:

sser

Arcane
Developer
It doesn't take a genius. Six years ago 2k Sports sold NFL 2K5 for $20, severely undercutting the next Madden regurgitation. It so successfully cut into the market (also helps that it was a phenomenally good game that still stands up today) that Electronic Arts collectively shit themselves and 1) Cut the price of their own game that year (by $20) and 2) blew a wad of cash acquiring the NFL license so as to have no competition (that is, so they can just pump out roster updates for $60 a year and get away with this act of essentially printing money).

By the way, there has been a gradual transition to PC games costing $60 lately, even for digital copies. Games used to come packaged with a lot of material -- manuals, maps, things of that sort -- and now you get a flimsy two-page introduction the controls or worse yet, they just toss it on a PDF. Dark Souls, which I really enjoy otherwise, has a 5-page manual. Homeworld, which I bought in 1999, came with a giant manual and a long booklet, printed on fine paper no less, detailing the history of the world. That's the shit I miss, far more than I dislike the overpricing and regurgitated games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom