Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming Fall 2024

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Perhaps the biggest perk of giving Bloodlines 2 to a stuck-up phD like Pinchbeck is that he's likely going to consider the inclusion of such gratuitous fan service characters and references as tacky and beneath him. As far as I can tell, Amnesia: More Pig More Pig has nothing in common with The Dark Descent narrative-wise other than taking place in the same world, which is how it should be.

J1M

Arcane
Will be interesting to see how they walk back the thin blood and clan choice hooks that were so prominent in the initial marketing.

The plot line in this reboot will be straighter than any of the writers working on it.

Last edited:

The President

Educated
So, I'm genuinely curious here, are people more confident in a narrative done by Pinchbeck or by Mitsoda and his team?

I gotta be honest, I do think I would trust Pinchbeck a bit more here, though I do think Mitsoda probably understands the setting better having done the previous game. While I don't think the previous game outside of that Anarch girl would have had too many direct continuations from the first, I do lean towards making a game that is clearly in the same universe but a separate story.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
With how close they're keeping this to their chest, I have nothing to go on so my expectations are also decidedly neutral.

Yeah, yeah, it's modern gamedev so pessimism is warranted. I wish they had more to show, and this leads me to believe that the new devs actually had to do everything from the ground up.

I mean, announcing that they'll have "something" to show in September 2023, for a game supposed to be released in 2020, is just

:-D:troll::-D

Semiurge

Cipher
The implication there is that he's about to cut off your hand with that cleaver if you take his hand. 90s edgy-cool malkavian.

From my contact with the original HSL developers I know who this was supposed to be, but any observant Bloodlines fan can figure it out ;)!

0VaqwM9.png

cringeinducing "sex positive" writing

This means "too many sluts per game"?

The implication there is that he's about to cut off your hand with that cleaver if you take his hand. 90s edgy-cool malkavian.

From my contact with the original HSL developers I know who this was supposed to be, but any observant Bloodlines fan can figure it out ;)!

Could it be he was a modernized re-imagined Cain? That would be horrifying.
Oh god, was it Vandal? His full name was Vandal Cleaver, and he has a cleaver in his hand too...

Damp was supposed to be a serial killer, and because most pictures of him include a rose on his suit and Mitsoda's trademark fingerless gloves, I falsely assumed he was a toreador. And because Mitsoda's "alter-ego" from Bloodlines was a toreador ghoul.

I doubt he was supposed to be Vandal, more likely they would've milked yet another imported character like Damsel by simply naming him Vandal instead of Damp. Desperation and all.

Will be interesting to see how they walk back the thin blood and clan choice hooks that were so prominent in the initial marketing.

Losing the main character's thin blood- lineage would be incline. It would be ok if thinblood was one of the clans you can choose in the beginning, but considering that it was supposed to be the starting clan that you merely "upgrade", it most likely was meant to serve as an important social justice- theme throughout the whole game. Not only that - it might've even negated most of the changes your diablerie clan should introduce. You may choose to become a brujah, but all NPCs still treat you as thinblood etc. A cosmetic upgrade.

Last edited:

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Losing being a shitty half breed thin blood would be the most incline thing in the game imo.

StrongBelwas

Cipher
Patron
Considering the timing, there's no way he didn't do it out of spite.
Maybe, but the videos say they were uploaded two weeks ago. I think the recent news just got people to dig around more.
EDIT: The original videos I should say, the first source of those is from here. the RPG Nuke individual does not seem to mention that:
https://chaoticenigma.artstation.com/albums/8899786
https://chaoticenigma.artstation.com/projects/w0x0YX?album_id=8899786
https://chaoticenigma.artstation.com/projects/QXGX6d?album_id=8899786

Delterius

Arcane
I gotta be honest, I do think I would trust Pinchbeck a bit more here, though I do think Mitsoda probably understands the setting better having done the previous game. While I don't think the previous game outside of that Anarch girl would have had too many direct continuations from the first, I do lean towards making a game that is clearly in the same universe but a separate story.
don't know anything about Pinchbeck or the studio that Chinese Takeout has become, but if he isn't into the setting then i think making sure he does his homework is up to paradox sending white wolf people to the studio

the worst case scenario is if the new devs refused to even play bloodlines 1. we know next to nothing though, so we're a few weeks from red alert

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It’s like waiting in the ER for word on how your girlfriend’s doing, when you've known that your girlfriend has been dead for two decades. They’ve dug up her cadaver and are pretending that what they’re doing to her will somehow bring her back. Meanwhile, you sit in the waiting room, DREADING the moment that you have to face the music and finally see what they’ve done to desecrate your girl.
Hey, look on the positive side. At least you might get one last fuck out of it.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
don't know anything about Pinchbeck or the studio that Chinese Takeout has become, but if he isn't into the setting then i think making sure he does his homework is up to paradox sending white wolf people to the studio

the worst case scenario is if the new devs refused to even play bloodlines 1. we know next to nothing though, so we're a few weeks from red alert
Using the brand name appeal of an existing IP is pointless and probably detrimental. Firstly, it's just a glorified recitation of irrelevant factoids that nerds jizz over but which mean nothing to a general audience. Secondly, investing in it is pointless because it will be constantly fucked with by corpos and writer turnover until it loses everything that originally attracted you to it. Thirdly, saying your product is branded after a glorified recitation of irrelevant factoids isn't a substitute for actual substance like gameplay and storytelling. Fourthly, it strangles creativity out of the market by taking away resources that could be invested in new IPs that aren't crushed under the weight of decades of writer turnover and other fuckery.

Bloodlines is remembered because of its colorful characters and funny situations, made by Troika. Troika could've invented an original IP and the game would've been just as well-regarded. That's why nobody remembers any of the other games crapped out for this IP. Except maybe Redemption, but it's nowhere near as remembered as Bloodlines for whatever reason. It never needed a sequel and any attempt at a sequel would just degrade its legacy, as we're seeing right now.

Delterius

Arcane
Using the brand name appeal of an existing IP is pointless and probably detrimental. Firstly, it's just a glorified recitation of irrelevant factoids that nerds jizz over but which mean nothing to a general audience. Secondly, investing in it is pointless because it will be constantly fucked with by corpos and writer turnover until it loses everything that originally attracted you to it. Thirdly, saying your product is branded after a glorified recitation of irrelevant factoids isn't a substitute for actual substance like gameplay and storytelling. Fourthly, it strangles creativity out of the market by taking away resources that could be invested in new IPs that aren't crushed under the weight of decades of writer turnover and other fuckery.
I don't know why you quoted me because a) it's got nothing to do with what I said, and b) you're completely wrong. The entire reality of the entertainment industry proves that brand recognition is neither pointless nor detrimental.

There is no vampire, dark fantasy, or urban fantasy story that cannot be told in the world of darkness. There is no reason to invest in a new IP unless you don't want an in-built audience for it, or if you don't own an IP of your own. Paradox does. Ergo they'll tell stories set in the world of darkness.

You're only rendered even more wrong considering that this thread is filled with Bloodlines fans. So there goes the point about 'irrelevant factoids' (which nobody cares about and aren't relevant even in a tabletop campaign) or 'creativity strangling'. Unless of course you'd like to argue that Bloodlines itself sucks, at which point I'll just discard your opinion twice. Case in point:

Bloodlines is remembered because of its colorful characters and funny situations, made by Troika. Troika could've invented an original IP and the game would've been just as well-regarded.
That is wrong on the face of it. Of course. Since Troika were the like to make the games they wanted to make and Bloodlines and the wider WoD is what got them going in the first place. Troika are the ones who decided to make Arcanum, to set their D&D game in Greyhawk and to close their studio because they didn't feel like doing mercenary work. But if you sincerely believe that, then making Bloodlines 2 is neither pointless nor detrimental. It strangles no one's creativity. If it did then Troika wouldn't have been able to achieve what Bloodlines is. Even in that maximalist (and unrealistic) scenario, the game would be standing on it's own. So it goes back to all the advantages one has when using an estabilished setting.

I'd also like to reiterate the point that even tabletop campaigns set in the World of Darkness rarely mess with high level lore stuff. People generally focus on, hell, just a gothic punk version of the neighborhoods they live in. Foot-soldiers of the Camarilla don't deal with world ending threats. So the nerd high level meta-lore you seem to dislike so much doesn't even come into consideration. Just as it barely does in the Shadowrun games and Bloodlines itself.

Lastly, Bloodlines is much more than just a vampire plotline. It is the animations, the artwork, the art design, the uniqueness of the setting, the rarity of the genre, the voice directing by Rik Schaffer's wife, Schaffer's soundtrack. It's so many things working together in tandem that the idea of it being hampered because the setpieces are from a tabletop game is insane. To me at least. A good team will deliver a good story in nearly anyone's worldbuilding.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Vampire the Masquerade: Prey

Let's hope it is as good as Prey at least, this studio isn't Arkane after all.
Arkane released a vampire game last month.

It... wasn't very good.
someone wished upon a monkey's paw and summoned not only vampire: battle royale but also killed arkane

there's something very humorous about people applying to make immersive sins and getting the response 'sorry bruv we only make shit now'

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
immersive sins

This is a blessed typo.

Hey, look on the positive side. At least you might get one last fuck out of it.
Is sex with the undead necrophilia? Or un-necrophilia? Oh shit, I might get banned from Steam.

:philosoraptor:
Tyranicon, not entirely certain, but in Vampire:The Masquerade lore you can have sex with a vampire/while being a vampire...
Gotta put those Kindred abilities to good use, right?

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
someone wished upon a monkey's paw and summoned not only vampire: battle royale but also killed arkane

If by "someone" you mean "some Microsoft Exec" and by "wished upon a Monkey's Paw" you mean "read EA's Instruction Manual from back in the day and decided to murder an otherwise decently popular and prolific Gamedev Studio by forcing them to do shit way out of their comfort zone that literally nobody asked for or wanted so they can cannibalize them", then you just might be onto something.

Delterius

Arcane

If by "someone" you mean "some Microsoft Exec" and by "wished upon a Monkey's Paw" you mean "read EA's Instruction Manual from back in the day and decided to murder an otherwise decently popular and prolific Gamedev Studio by forcing them to do shit way out of their comfort zone that literally nobody asked for or wanted so they can cannibalize them", then you just might be onto something.
no i'm pretty sure the supernatural is involved. the urban fantasy curse seems equal to all the witches in romania (actual government).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom