Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York + Shadows of New York standalone expansion

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The length could be explained by the scope of the story. Is there really much more they could've done with it? You are sent to investigate the death and you solve the case. It's less laziness and more a limited foundation imo. If Bloodlines were transcribed as a visual novel, it would also be extremely short with almost no choices. What I wanted more of is Qadir. And no, not only because he's hot. Of all the characters in these VNs, he seems the most anguished and worthy of exploration. I'd have liked to get more of Ecaterina as well, she's criminally underused. Why is she even in the game?

EvilWolf

Learned
The second game not giving you much agency was, afaik, an intentional design decision and not laziness. I think people complained about not being able to save anywhere to see what outcome different choices are going to have and were forced to replay the whole game to see that, so they axed most of the branching options.
Talk about a developer missing the forest for the trees.

BruceVC

Magister
I completed Coteries after 10 hours and it was fun, its one of the first narrative RPG I have played in years. It remined me of an interactive book, I thought the general writing was fine. I enjoyed the fact its set in the WOD so the lore and various characters made the fledging Vampire journey compelling

And I looooved the techno music in the club. Now Im really looking forward to Bloodlines 2 the full RPG :cool:

EvilWolf

Learned
VtM_Shadows_of_New_York_2020-09-11_20-35-45.jpg
I haven't seen Ecaterina in a solid minute. I think Redemption was the first Diablo knockoff I had played following the original.
Is Redemption REALLY a Diablo knockoff though? That's like calling Bloodlines a Half-Life knockoff.
I completed Coteries after 10 hours and it was fun, its one of the first narrative RPG I have played in years. It remined me of an interactive book, I thought the general writing was fine. I enjoyed the fact its set in the WOD so the lore and various characters made the fledging Vampire journey compelling

And I looooved the techno music in the club. Now Im really looking forward to Bloodlines 2 the full RPG :cool:
What was your favorite part? The unimaginative characitures coming to your rescue during the MacGuffin reveal or the railroaded ending that doesn't change no matter what choices you make throughout the game?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Is Redemption REALLY a Diablo knockoff though? That's like calling Bloodlines a Half-Life knockoff.
Yeah, it's more a NWN knockoff, if you're going to call it a knockoff at all.

For the time, the graphics were excellent, and even though the story was a bit meh, it was still unique compared to a lot of other games out there.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I haven't seen Ecaterina in a solid minute. I think Redemption was the first Diablo knockoff I had played following the original.
Diablo was the first action RPG I played where you mindlessly wander around levels and click on things with your mouse until they were dead. Redemption was the second.

I like it for what it is, and would be down for a replay if my desktop didn't hate the game, but that's 100% what the game seemed to be for me at the time. Got me into playing World of Darkness with all the other edgy retards though, so there's that.

BruceVC

Magister

What was your favorite part? The unimaginative characitures coming to your rescue during the MacGuffin reveal or the railroaded ending that doesn't change no matter what choices you make throughout the game?

The entire game was quick so Im one of those people who doesn't over-analyze certain design problems like you mentioned
But my favorite part of the game was the WOD lore and the interesting political machinations in the WOD universe and how different characters seem to have different and opposing views to do with Camarilla and the Anarchs
And my favorite quest was Benoit Segal and his questioning of faith

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
gave coteries a quick go. From early impressions it doesnt appear to be very involving? Your available replies appear to be dumb and honestly its quite clear which option is 'green'
EDIT: finished, its a joke not worthy to be called CYOA

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom