Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vic plays Factorio

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Lasers, pew pew! Too bad the laser turrets are weak compared to my upgraded gun turrets. It seems like I'll have to wait until I research more energy weapon upgrades for them to properly get the job done, but they are starting to do better.

Factorio-1-1-109-7-17-2024-6-31-16-PM.png

Add more spaghetti.

I'm afraid most of the spaghetti will get scrapped. I'm going to try to make a factory running on bots with as few belts as possible.

Vic

Savant
Wait, lasers suck? Even fully upgraded they just keep getting destroyed by big Spitters. I'm barely keeping up with repairing and replacing turrets now... Or that might be due to having some pretty big nests nearby. I guess it's time to kill Biters again. But on the other hand, I don't want to keep culling nests every time they encroach near one of my bases. Mhh, what to do what to do.

I guess I'll try going back to gun turrets for now and see if the Biters are still able to destroy them.

Factorio-1-1-109-7-17-2024-10-15-56-PM.png

I'm also researching into robotics. Soon the age of robots will dawn.

Lasers do suck until they get a bit of research (and their DPS is never as high as turrets with similar research). Their big advantage is range, so a wall of laser turrets can focus far more turrets on a single target. You can also put them back away enough from a line of walls so that spitters don't have the range to hit them. They are also, obviously free to run if you have solar (or nuclear for all intents and purposes).

Vic

Savant
Their big advantage is range, so a wall of laser turrets can focus far more turrets on a single target.
Yeah I just noticed that. Placing three (or more) rows of turrets makes quite the difference.

You can also put them back away enough from a line of walls so that spitters don't have the range to hit them.
That's interesting! Doesn't really sound like it would work out as they'll probably be attacking, and eventually breaking, the walls. I think I'm going to double down on turrets and stack, stack, stack.

That's interesting! Doesn't really sound like it would work out as they'll probably be attacking, and eventually breaking, the walls. I think I'm going to double down on turrets and stack, stack, stack.

The spitters won't (or shouldn't, haven't tested recently) attack the walls until they run into them at which point the lasers can shoot. The advantage of the walls is that they have resistances and are cheaper to replace. Also means your flamethrowers are better since all enemies stack together next to the wall. In fact with some research you can get away with just one or two flamethrowers and no other turrets.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Trying to save on my energy bill by installing some solar panels.
No accumulators? I find they're essential, especially with laser turrets.
Wait, lasers suck?
Iirc they do less damage than gun turrets, but they only cost power and are way easier to deal with since you don't have ammo logistics.

Oh yeah, that might be his problem too. Without accumulators your rate of power usage during any decent amount of shooting will probably vastly exceed your total power generation. A single turret firing is more than a whole steam engine working 100%, and rate of fire upgrades increase power usage further.

Vic

Savant
Why does this feel like a cheese? Stacking so many turrets seems wasteful, but it's what's needed to hold off the Biter waves coming from the nearby nest. Not a fan of how this looks.

Factorio-1-1-109-7-18-2024-2-42-16-PM.png

The factory slowly stretching out its tendrils.

Factorio-1-1-109-7-18-2024-3-08-15-PM.png

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
The base so far. There a many things wrong with it, as is evident by the material shortages on the belts. It's a bit of a mess and I ran out of space by building myself into a corner at some places, so I'll have to rebuild several parts of the base. I will need good production to build a decently sized robot fleet that can handle the load of my factory. Additionally, I'm switching over to solar and that's another thing to deal with.

And lastly, the frequent attacks are putting pressure on me on several fronts. I'll have to look into dealing with that too. I will spend the rest of the day optimizing and avoid expanding any further to get a grip on the current situation.

Factorio-1-1-109-7-18-2024-5-22-26-PM.png

Vic

Savant
Oil is complicated.

Edit: There are two errors with the pipes that I have fixed now.

Factorio-1-1-109-7-18-2024-8-39-23-PM.png

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Oil is complicated.
You haven't even set up any kind of handling for your cracking. It's just a matter of time until it gets stuck because of one oil type overflowing.
(Also 3 lubricant machines seems like massive overkill).

Vic

Savant
Oil is complicated.
You haven't even set up any kind of handling for your cracking. It's just a matter of time until it gets stuck because of one oil type overflowing.
(Also 3 lubricant machines seems like massive overkill).
I'm trying to math it out so it doesn't get stuck, but it's hard. Also trying not to spoil myself with solutions online on how to handle it. The 3 lube machines are feeding 20 electric engine assemblers.. it should work once I get to tier 3 assemblers.

Well, the solution is

Build up a few tanks to store each type of oil and then set up circuits to only crack when >x% full

I don't think there's really any other way to do it, there's no specific ratio since you use the products in varying amounts.

Vic

Savant
I'm clicking that spoiler later once I've found a good solution on my own, thanks.

Vic

Savant
Three rows of laser turrets works well to keep my base safe from the Biters and also prevents anything from getting damaged. The spitters die before they can hawk tuah on my base. The drawback is all of my turrets are drawing almost 7 megawatt of power idling. Not a big deal right now, but something to keep in mind once I start expanding.

Factorio-1-1-109-7-19-2024-3-50-49-PM.png

Vic

Savant
My solution to my oil problem was to use the circuit network and check if there's too much heavy oil. If that's the case, start cracking it into light oil, which is then in turn being cracked into petroleum. It should get the job done for now.

Factorio-1-1-109-7-19-2024-4-56-55-PM.png

Well, the solution is
Let's see... Hehe, yeah I got the same solution. Seems like it's the best way to do it.

Vic

Savant
Huh, didn't know Biters could settle so close to my buildings. I was wondering why the turrets were always engaging.

Factorio-1-1-109-7-20-2024-10-02-00-PM.png

Vic

Savant
The Biters just keep on getting harder. They really don't wait for me to get a grip on my base, huh? No rest for the wicked. I need to get back into laser research or they will start to overwhelm me soon. Also I don't think placing my turrets in a long design is good. When the Biters are attacking at an angle, not all turrets are able to fire. I should try making a more spherical shape and place it in their path. Kind of like a really fat tower.

But for now, blue circuits!

Factorio-1-1-109-7-21-2024-12-37-26-AM.png

Kind of a mess.

Factorio-1-1-109-7-21-2024-1-40-56-AM.png

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Let's see... Hehe, yeah I got the same solution. Seems like it's the best way to do it.
Usually one uses pumps and not power switches, but either works really.

Also bots are so bad and slow at putting down floor compared to largest player brush size. Or maybe I got too used to long reach mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom