Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bros, are there any decent VNs on Steam?

Oh, I see. This is the part where if I say, "yes," then I get trapped in eternal darkness for a 100 years. Well played Codex staff, well played.

oscar

Arcane
Leviathan: Last Day of the Decade is very cool (though I'd say half adventure, half VN) though not all of the episodes have been translated yet.

Gerrard

Arcane
You can already download it from the MG site, the Steam release is still 11 hours away.

The 18+ content was a fandisk that was released after the game, it's not "canon".

Gedeone

Novice
Any thoughts on whether I should play Chaos;Head PC, or wait for the translation for Noah to finish?

Warning: the MC is a delusional, spineless jerk. So do yourself a favor and skip it. (Or not, if ur feeling maso <.<.)

That's par for the course in a number of these, otherwise they'd say 'screw this for a bag of chips' and leave when the various crazy girls started dragging them into stuff and treating them like trash.

I remember LPing My Stepsister Hitomi and being amazed at just how much the MC complains about the fucking rain.

Gedeone

Novice
That's par for the course in a number of these

Sure, but the guy from Chaos;Head is...just too much. Trust me. Whining and having delusion (litterally) nonstop. He made me sick after 10 mins...
...but i soldiered on for half the game nonetheless <.<.
It wasnt a very wise choice and thats why i'm giving this warning: skip Chaos;Head.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Devil on the G-String
Smart, snarky and well contained. One of the rare cases where a game manages to truly slip in a plot twist that you didn't see coming.

I enjoyed this one very much except for said unforeseeable plot twist. I am of the opinion that mysteries should be in principle solvable by careful and observant readers (like myself), and this isn't possible here. Instead, the twist is inconsistent with pretty much everything revealed and foreshadowed up to that point, and I don't think it's that great a twist either, having watched as many melodramatic soap operas as I have.

Yet in spite of this, I thought it was otherwise a brilliantly told suspense thriller, with great moments. It's a pity that since this is, like Ever17, a story that can only ever work as a VN, it will never be adapted for a wider audience.

Is the big twist that thing that gets spoiled the instant you open the vn's page on vndb?
split personality

Rpgsaurus Rex

Devil on the G-String
Smart, snarky and well contained. One of the rare cases where a game manages to truly slip in a plot twist that you didn't see coming.

I enjoyed this one very much except for said unforeseeable plot twist. I am of the opinion that mysteries should be in principle solvable by careful and observant readers (like myself), and this isn't possible here. Instead, the twist is inconsistent with pretty much everything revealed and foreshadowed up to that point, and I don't think it's that great a twist either, having watched as many melodramatic soap operas as I have.

Yet in spite of this, I thought it was otherwise a brilliantly told suspense thriller, with great moments. It's a pity that since this is, like Ever17, a story that can only ever work as a VN, it will never be adapted for a wider audience.

Is the big twist that thing that gets spoiled the instant you open the vn's page on vndb?
split personality

No, but in general I think people should disable all tags on vndb.

Nice.

TigerKnee

Arcane
The big twist is even more stupid than that. At least that one would make sense.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
D'uh? The whole story is built around it? It makes perfect sense, it is the whole point. It could've been delivered a little bit better with slight hints along the way, but I'm willing to forgive that in this case.

Playing with the player's expectations and abusing the way we as readers never question our conclusions. I wish more books and VNs would take advantage of the way we take things for granted and still consider ourselves so clever and attentive. You're the all-seeing eye that knows the inner thoughts of characters and sees their hidden acts... but do you see enough in the end? Maou's twist was cool exactly in the way that it betrayed the expectations of the reader.

Still nowhere as brilliant as "Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo", but that is kind of a once-in-a-lifetime kind of a trick. Kinda like the way PS:T approaches death and reloading in cRPGs - you can only do that once really. Have there actually been books that abuse the "ludonarrative dissonance" inherit in the reading process the way that games have been doing? Like the fact that you (as a reader) can see multiple POVs or hear the inner thoughts of characters. I'm pretty sure I should remember and example or two.

Red Eye

Learned
D'uh? The whole story is built around it? It makes perfect sense, it is the whole point. It could've been delivered a little bit better with slight hints along the way, but I'm willing to forgive that in this case.

Playing with the player's expectations and abusing the way we as readers never question our conclusions. I wish more books and VNs would take advantage of the way we take things for granted and still consider ourselves so clever and attentive. You're the all-seeing eye that knows the inner thoughts of characters and sees their hidden acts... but do you see enough in the end? Maou's twist was cool exactly in the way that it betrayed the expectations of the reader.

Still nowhere as brilliant as "Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo", but that is kind of a once-in-a-lifetime kind of a trick. Kinda like the way PS:T approaches death and reloading in cRPGs - you can only do that once really. Have there actually been books that abuse the "ludonarrative dissonance" inherit in the reading process the way that games have been doing? Like the fact that you (as a reader) can see multiple POVs or hear the inner thoughts of characters. I'm pretty sure I should remember and example or two.

Sharin's twist can never be bettered.

It's so shocking yet when you think back it fit perfectly and was hinted so many times.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm looking for a game I can just click my way through whenever I'm too tired/distracted/bored. Preferably on Steam so I can see it in my library and don't forget about its existence.

So, are there any good VNs on Steam? Adult or not, I don't care. I tried out a couple whose names I forget, but they were some poorly written dating sim-ey stuff, which can be amusing for a short while but then gets tiring. Also, no stat management like Long Live the Queen please, that's too much work.

In particular, is that Cinderella VN any good? http://store.steampowered.com/app/293680/

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
eden*
http://store.steampowered.com/app/315810/

Short but pretty, I'd pay 5€ for it.

above-mentioned Grisaia no Kajitsu will be on Steam very soon
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=357266918

Cho Dengeki Stryker
http://store.steampowered.com/app/321190/

A bit too expensive imho, sort of amusing I guess. High production values.

Narcissu
http://store.steampowered.com/app/264380/

Very good value for money (it is free)

planetarian
http://store.steampowered.com/app/316720/

Short stuff again.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm looking for a game I can just click my way through whenever I'm too tired/distracted/bored. Preferably on Steam so I can see it in my library and don't forget about its existence.

So, are there any good VNs on Steam? Adult or not, I don't care. I tried out a couple whose names I forget, but they were some poorly written dating sim-ey stuff, which can be amusing for a short while but then gets tiring. Also, no stat management like Long Live the Queen please, that's too much work.

In particular, is that Cinderella VN any good? http://store.steampowered.com/app/293680/
Cinders is really good.

Levarious

Novice
A free decent visual novel where you play as a former basement dweller turned pedo hunter cop in an epic storyline of redemption, drama and heroism.

https://vndb.org/v13871

You can download it here.

http://unteralterbach.net/index.en.html

bka-bernd.en.png

Ayreos

Augur
You forgot to say that you must read them all in moonspeak, too. Pfft, amateurs.

Nonsensical reply, as both lists i linked are filtered for english-translated games. I'm simply saying VNDB's categories are absolutely excellent, and a newcomer can easily follow the lists in order to experience the very best of english-translated VNs without confusion.

Umm, there's a lot of overlap whether you sort by popularity or average score (which is intuitive). The only title that dramatically changes positions is Umineko. The big difference in lists is between VNDB and EGS.

Of course, but it makes a world of difference to be new to visual novels and starting by playing through all of Muv-Luv, (including MLU and goddamn MLA) first, getting PTSD in the process, as opposed to starting with Fate, G-Senjou and Saya instead.

Cromwell

Arcane
Are there any other recommendable games with the same or similar mechanics than Kara no Shoujo?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom