Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

TigerKnee

Arcane
I played the Japanese version of Euphoria and skipped just about all sex scenes though I can say there are a very small handful of consensual ones.

The story IS pretty good if you play it all the way to the True Ending though.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I made the horrible mistake of trying the Euphoria demo, because the premise sounded interesting. At least I did it on an empty stomach. How does anyone enjoy this stuff?

Acquired taste. I started with games that involved mind-breaking a bus full of girl-school virgins for prostitution (someone remind me of the name again, thx), so it is all downhill from there.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Gaymers win again, foul banshees!
yOb5csA.jpg

Red Eye

Learned
I made the horrible mistake of trying the Euphoria demo, because the premise sounded interesting. At least I did it on an empty stomach. How does anyone enjoy this stuff?

7 years ago I would have thought the same.

It's a slow process.

I'm not going to say I enjoy that stuff because I still don't but it doesn't bother me so I'm still able to enjoy the rest.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm updating file about oasis under a column possibly retarded.

Nostaljaded

Augur
@ stomaching dark/psychological themes
It's somewhat realistic complex human interactions when one is being put into an extreme environment by powerful sickos for survival.

These themes are kinda-explored in kid-friendly games like Danganronpa/999, R18 movies like Battle Royale, Novels like Misery as they have their rating/medium restrictions (and their SJWs are always-at-arms). Manga/Anime Kaiji does it well.

Adult Games are the ideal medium as they could utilized the visuals & audio to engage and actualize gamer's imagination; having multiple routes and a true ending to still have the gamer eventually come out feeling satisfied.
It's a (physically) harmless way of experiencing sticky situations/having fantasies played out.

Living multiple lives Going through all these media (hopefully) makes one more consciously-aware of possible consequences in potentially-risky situations where we can re-enact our illusionary, limitless glorious days there is 1 and only route in our lives.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Is that "pretty good for a nukige" or pretty good?
The latter for me, but I don't claim to be the sort of person who only reads Classic Literature or things like that so who knows whether my opinion holds any weight

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It is actually a pretty... well, using the word here feels inappropriate but... good. I like how they aren't afraid of making the characters look and sound disgusting.

And the soundtracks works pretty well. You know what to expect when this starts playing:

Could go to even more extreme, and not in ways limited to sex. But eh, you take what you get.

Red Eye

Learned
Well better Muv Luv than indivisible though I must admit I can't understand funding for a translation when a fan translation has existed for years and they're literally just going to edit that.

But hey. I'm a cheap bastard

TigerKnee

Arcane
Is there some kind of Indivisible scandal I don't know about?

Anyway, the higher levels of Muv-Luv KS are supposed to be translations of supplementary materials like the fandiscs and sidestories and shit so it's not all that bad if they keep their promise there.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Hell if I know, I'm actually not very interested in the spin-offs except for maybe that one Hex-based Strategy game where you get anally raped by tons of BETA

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Total Eclipse is meh and Schwarzesmarken isn't even released yet - is the LN any good?

"By the way, Walter, you know that joke?" Irisdine spoke in a level tone, as if she hadn't noticed the enemy at all and was asking about the weather.

"Which one?"

"Someone sends a question to the Berlin radio: are the BETA edible at all?"

"...And?"

"They answer: of course not. Unless you're an Engländer."

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Late updated: Nov 9th - updated Shiny Days, Seinarukana, Sweet Home
Seinarukana —> Finalizing materials, preparing websites. QA checking.

You know what this means.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Naah, more a question of not having the vocabulary for such fine words as "smegma", and thus missing certain valuable details... uhuhhhuhu.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Multiple times even. Like... 4 or 5?

But the PSP remake really takes the cake on declining even worse than Yu-No's remake.

Original:
4LI4w3C.jpg

PSP:
image_thumb104.png

vkEG0qY.jpg

Like wtf :decline:

I want to say "Probably can't get any worse than the PSP remake" but I don't want to look silly if things get worse

TigerKnee

Arcane
Sure is!

Someone should start a re-translation project

-Choose either PC-98 or Remastered (Windows... and whatever this new one is) Music+Graphics
-H-Scenes on or off (only PC-98 graphics obviously)
-Retranslated Script that doesn't age poorly

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
So I finished Euphoria...

Yea, that was... interesting.

I have to say, they were onto something here. Possibly accidentally, but still. The script writer(s) have made some really, really weird choices. It is the muv-luv of fetish sex games. It really isn't what it appears to be, even to someone who'd played a few routes through in Japanese before.

Really baffles my mind how they went with the idea of mixing a rape/scat/softcore guro with
sci-fi thriller with true love conquers all kind of ending
. This sort of genre-mixing is just insane. And so very Japanese.

The story is just absurdly over-ambitious, but it kinda has some good ideas there. With a bit of tweaking, it could be turned into something great. The plot twists were kinda hilarious. But (almost) everything was overshadowed to a degree, so can't really say they were total ass-pulls.

One thing that didn't really make sense to me was the protagonist's
dark side. Because the flashbacks show him being of totally opposite personality and the post-sex dungeon scenario makes no reference to this side of his personality. So was this just an implanted memory?
Kinda lost opportunity there.

Kinda odd game also in the sense that all of the heroines, with the exception of the teacher are
fundamentally broken and don't get "healed" throughout the story. Even Nemu in her true ending is reduced to the mental level of a child.

I think I really have to recommend buying this, despite to the fact that it has loads of faults. A truly challenging experience. Even if you turn of the fecal matter display on the CGs, it can be downright vile at times. That's kinda something you have to recognize. Very few companies would dare something like this in today's SJW-ridden world.

Also; dese sex scene sounds... man, the voice actresses must've been proud of their accomplishments...

TigerKnee

Arcane
Told you guys it actually had a good plot

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom