Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vita and jRPGs, aka dead weeb's dream

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
So I saw Persona 3 on PSN sale and picked it up, then I realized I didn't have a Vita to play it on, and I picked it up too. Now I have a Vita, FFX/X-2 HD, FFVI and P3. The idea is to play throught the FF games, maybe pick up 9 and play through it too(never tried it) and then move on to Persona/something else.

So, here are the questions:

1. I don't know shit about Persona, except that P4G is supposed to be some sort of a holy grail of Vita gaming. Tell me more about the series and individual games in them. What kind of buttrape will I sign myself up for if I try to play all 4?

2. Other good weeb shit on Vita. I understand that the platform is shit for mainstream games, but it's supposed to be a weeb wet dream. What should I be looking for on sales?

3. Gimme referrals to cheap clinics for cutting off my dick and getting spikes and highlights, to be more weeby.

Courtier

Prophet
1. Persona started as dungeon crawlers and went down the path of highschool dating sims, becoming very popular for obvious reasons. I played and don't enjoy them very much, preferring SMT, but they have likable characters and a unique style you might like.

2. Disgaea 4, Dragon's Crown, Demon Gaze, Atelier series, Toukiden Kiwami, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Oreshika, Muramasa Rebirth and Stranger of Sword City should get you started.
Also see:
2rM1Fz2.jpg

3. Half the faggots on the Codex are old and wrinkled closet weeaboos, they sneer at chink shit loudly and have to love their waifu in secret

Martius

Liturgist
I dont own vita but after playing Monster Hunter I think you should try one of clones/inspired by it games like Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice, God Eater or Freedom Wars. Virtue Last Reward is great visual novel, sequel is coming next month so you could get that too.

Perkel

Arcane
Had vita for like 2 years.

It is great system for PSP games (ESPECIALLY for MH games on PSP) but there aren't really any good vita games that are not better on PC.
Currently have 3DS and it is way worse in therms of screen and things but at least i can play some games on it.

If you have Vita then your first stop should be getting Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on PSP. If you will like it then you will have shitload of gaming to do on Vita.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Trails of Cold Steel is pretty fucking amazing (see the thread). Soul Sacrifice is like Monster Hunter if it had a fun story, so you don't need other people around. I'm gonna second whatever Courtier mentioned. Also DARIUS BURST. Okay maybe that's not JRPG but fuck me if that ain't a weeb stg dream. Oh, and Ys IV, pretty damn good Wapanese Action RPG.

I'm not a big fan of it as a PSP machine since I vastly prefer the feel of a PSP for those games, but you could also peruse the library of that if you want.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So I saw Persona 3 on PSN sale and picked it up, then I realized I didn't have a Vita to play it on, and I picked it up too. Now I have a Vita, FFX/X-2 HD, FFVI and P3. The idea is to play throught the FF games, maybe pick up 9 and play through it too(never tried it) and then move on to Persona/something else.

So, here are the questions:

1. I don't know shit about Persona, except that P4G is supposed to be some sort of a holy grail of Vita gaming. Tell me more about the series and individual games in them. What kind of buttrape will I sign myself up for if I try to play all 4?

2. Other good weeb shit on Vita. I understand that the platform is shit for mainstream games, but it's supposed to be a weeb wet dream. What should I be looking for on sales?

3. Gimme referrals to cheap clinics for cutting off my dick and getting spikes and highlights, to be more weeby.

By reputation, Persona 3 and 4 have some of the best stories and characters in JRPGs -- high school setting aside, there is a lot of occult horror, cyberpunk, and existential Planescapey themes.

Dating sim elements in Persona are somewhat exaggerated. In Shin Megami Tensei tradition, protagonists gain a small amount of demonic power through "circumstances" at the start of the game, then fight demons and force them to make alliances with you to fill out the rest of your party line up -- then you bargain with the demons in your party to gain more power and spells for your human protagonist. Usually this "forcing" takes the style of a negotiation, where you offer money or compliments or threats to demons during the fight to see if they will fight on your side instead of against you. Demons in Shin Megami Tensei are basically crazy, so they don't tend to acknowledge they are fighting the same dark forces that gave birth to them.

Persona (as a SMT spin off series) used to be like this, but after Persona 2 game designers at Atlus decided the product line needed to be mechanically tweaked to further differentiate it from mainline Shin Megami Tensei games. So instead of negotiating with demons, you build relationships with people around town -- that is, the town that is the site of the game's occult horror events. Each person you befriend represents an Arcana from the Tarot cards (ergo, Emperor, Hanged Man, Jester, etc) Because demons belong to a metaphysical realm that is influenced by the emotions and dreams of human beings, these Tarot cards figures influence your ability to "create" stronger demons to fight in your lineup.

Siveon

Bot
By reputation, Persona 3 and 4 have some of the best stories and characters in JRPGs -- high school setting aside, there is a lot of occult horror, cyberpunk, and existential Planescapey themes.
While entertaining, the theme brought up in 3 & 4 are kiddie pool levels of deep. Often still relying on the friendship conquers all trope, with a big bad, and a silent protagonist. This is coming from the person who got the best ending in P4G in a matter of 2 weeks. Again, it's very entertaining and all, but it is still high school fantasy game.

Better than the majority, though.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
While entertaining, the theme brought up in 3 & 4 are kiddie pool levels of deep. Often still relying on the friendship conquers all trope, with a big bad, and a silent protagonist. This is coming from the person who got the best ending in P4G in a matter of 2 weeks. Again, it's very entertaining and all, but it is still high school fantasy game.

Better than the majority, though.

Japan is a broadly (male) youth orientated culture (even more so than the United States). Every other franchise is on the storytelling maturity of Michael Bays' Transformers. What major literary and artistic accomplishments they possess rarely make it stateside.

Siveon

Bot
What major literary and artistic accomplishments they possess rarely make it stateside.
I agree, even though I doubt I'll ever personally figure out if that's true or not in this lifetime. I don't think Persona 3 & 4 reign supreme by comparison, however. Unless we're talking only about major franchises. Which is a no brainer, Atlus/Index make some of the best JRPGs around.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Buy The Legend of Heroes games, Trails in the Sky 1 & 2, Trails of Cold Steel 1 (& 2)
Odin Sphere Leifdrasir, Muramasa Rebirth, Dragon's Crown
Final Fantasy I-X, X-2 if you don't mind.
Final Fantasy Tactics & Tactics Ogre are must own games
Persona 1-4
Lumines: Electronic Symphony just so you have a puzzle game
Zeroes Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma
Danganronpa 1 & 2 (& 3)
Steins Gate (and Steins Gate 0)
Wild ARMS XF is also a fun strategy rpg
Tales of Hearts R
Hopefully, Salt and Sanctuary port will be good. Not a Japanese game but inspired by them. Metroidvania x Souls game in 2D
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Other PS1 games:
Front Mission 3, Vagrant Story, Arc the Lad 1 & 2, Wild ARMS, Suikoden 1 & 2, Castlevania (buy whatever game there is in the series)... and more. Check the PSN store.

Severian Silk

There are still PSOne games being released? What is Mini?

Siveon

Bot
They're just digital re-releases.

Mini wasn't ever mentioned, but, they were a line of smaller, budget digital titles for the PSP. Since the Vita packs a PSP inside its software, some of them were ported to the PSN store.

duanth123

Arcane
Not on sale currently but if you end up liking P4G, you may enjoy Digimon Cyber Sleuth.

Now I know exactly what you were thinking as you read the word Digimon, but hear me out:

The character artist has worked on SMT/Persona titles and it shows; they are very well drawn

The story is standard monster of the week fare at first but really ramps up to a pretty satisfying mid/late game

The gameplay is SMT/persona lite, with Rock Paper Scissors strengths/weaknesses built around a creature tamer core.

Finally the soundtrack is awesome

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Sam Ecorners
the best persona is the first one for ps1. the western/european release is superior in script and execution of story than the original JP release. hard-core first-person view dungeons with (sometimes) above-average dungeon design, a great variety of ways to do battle including melee weapons and guns, and of course, your personas, and the best demon-negotiation system out of ANY of the persona games due to the dialog being both "real" and "comedic" without EVER slipping into "juvenile" or even worse, "pedestrian".

it also features the irrefutably best soundtrack out of all the persona games as it borrows from shin megami tensei series and goes for a slightly more mature soundtrack full of evocative piano, pipe organs, opera wailing that is not played for jokes, and some pretty choice electronic ambiance tracks inside a lot of the dungeons. sadly persona 1 was the last persona game to feature a good OST. as good as persona 2 is its soundtrack was a herald of things to come.

persona 2, also for ps1, features the best written story in the series and no surprise it also features the best written characters. spoiler as to why: because it's the only persona that has a Adult main cast. however the absence of the first-person dungeon design is SORELY missed as it utilizes the now Persona-staple overhead view for navigation... sad. very sad. the mechanics were also greatly dumbed down from persona 1 and any and all vestiges of the HUGE, HUGE influence that the SMT games had on the development of persona 1 are already disappearing in persona 2, and by persona 3... well, might as well be living on the moon.

perosna 3 and 4 are atrocious garbage and feature no redeeming qualities. avoid. persona 5 also looks unbelievably horrible.

EDIT: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE DO NOT EVER, _EVER_, PLAY THE PSP REMAKES OF PERSONA 1 and PERSONA 2 !!!!!

dumbed down, sanitized, casualized and their living hearts ripped out of each game's chest, blood dripping from the pumping thing while slowly ceasing eventually its movement while the sounds of the j-pop OST's that they inserted into the remakes of both games is heard.

the mere fact that they replaced both games' OST's in favor of j-pop tunes is all of the information you need to make the decision that the remakes are abominations.

they also edited and censored large chunks of the persona 1 and persona 2 innocent sin scripts, btw. There are many images that can be found via google showing side-by-side shots of persona 1 NPC interactions and the remake script is... well, it was fucking made for babies, whereas the original game script for persona 1 and persona 2 have teeth, nails, bite, heart and a fucking negro.

truly the downfall and continued R A P E of the persona series is a sad and very informative lesson about all you really need to know concerning the future direction of the japanese video game industry... i.e. no good games are made anymore and what was good once is no longer palatable to the products of the decades-long manipulations of all those Faceless Corporations (tm) and their now fruitful masterplan of tardification of the people so that they would could develop inferior and intelligence-insulting products that would not be questioned by its consumer.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
this is the type of competently written dialog that is forever gone from the persona series. the dialog in the images you are about to see are from persona 1 and 2, original psx, and while by no menas is this shit high art, or hell, even basic literary; they are however full of wonderful and seemingly EFFORTLESS characterization of every single character you meet in the game and of course that includes the main casts most of all. Everyone in persona 1 and persona 2 is simultaneously nice, comedic, cryptic, mysterious, and forever straddling the line between "serious business story" and "satire? no... is it parody? i don't know. tongue-in-cheek it's not, however". that is a fine line but they managed it!

from persona 1:
persona1b.jpg

just your average comment from the school's student president being interrogated on suspicion of demonic activity by our intrepid heroes.

from persona 2:
persona-2-innocent-sin-Screenshot-4.jpg

your run-of-the-mill high school principal harassing our fearless silent protanist. notice how not only is there usage of very mild profanity but how this simple dialog from hannya shows he might be a royal dick but he also has a sense of humor. except he's a total dick.

from persona 1:
revelationspersona_22509.png

...ok, these two images are loaded. on the left Alana is complaining about having to go see the school doctor after the demon outbreak in the beginning of the game leads to the school forcing its students to receive medical examinations to see how they are holding up and if they are being affected. Alana is a sexualized stereotype of a character but she has probably the absolutely funniest lines in the entire game simply because she DGAF and she's dumb as a brick. it's perfect!

in fact, Alana's contract-negotiations with demons are almost exclusively comprised of alana saying mildly alarmingly stuff like promising zombies that she likes to rub night-cream on her chest before going to bed if answering a question about herself from the demon. she also mentions how she always forgets to wear underwear. sure, it's absolutely and completely juvenile but it's all in the EXECUTION, and throughout the story Alana does receive a character arc where she ends up much wiser person. plus it's never down to a level of "fan service". she is just being herself. again, CHARACTERIZATION.

...ok, now to the right-side picture. That's... actually i completely forgot her name. Anyway, after the demonic outbreak and subsequent rampage and domination of the persona 1 heroe's town by these things the place has gone into complete lockdown with the national guard on the streets, families huddles inside their homes in sheer terror of the things bumping outside in the night and in that picture she has finally made her way back the High School after having gotten seperated and the students have posted guards on the school gates and demand a password as proof of both humanity and also to be given access to the school itself.

first, the good: everything I just described sounds really fucking cool doesn't it? yes, yes it does. it's like... oh my god, it's like THE GAME'S STORY IS ACTUALLY COHERENT AND COMPETENTLY MADE!!!!! Imagine that... right? Now, to be fair, everything I just described is also a complete rip-off of the shin megami tensei games... they do the same thing. example: go play Nocturne on PS2.

the bad: LOOK AT THAT MOTHERFUCKING RACIST AS FUCK POEM THE JAPANESE WRITERS CAME UP WITH!!!!!!!!!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOLOL

and you know of COURSE that it was censored and removed in the psp remake.

to finish this, below you will see persona 1's Mark arguing with Brad about the danger of playing an occult game like "Persona", while Brad tries to bully mark into playing. The character of Mark is steadfast friend and protector but with a heart of gold, etc, and the character of Brad is the insecure narcissist with ego-problems and a burgeoning desire to control and manipulate people. Yes, both of them accomplish the fulfillment of such character traits in a mildly juvenile manner because they are, of course, juvenile high school students.

images

mark challenges brad and blatantly insults him. I wish you to know that this dialog was censored/edited int he psp remake. He does not exhibit any sort of human-like character in the remake and instead speaks only in generic placeholder dialog that is only there to hammer home to the psp player every "important" plot point because while at the same being completely neutered so as not to offend, in even the smallest way possible such as censoring the motherfucking word 'stupid'.

below, brad responds. Brad is an emotoinally stunted teenager who lashes out and is highly narcissistic. on the left is his ps1 response to mark, and on the right the PSP response. I will leave it to you to decide which is more I N T E R E S T I N G. no, not which is more literary, and no, not which has better grammar: but rather which of two serves the caracter better?

3903796423_42331909fc.jpg

for those who have played persona 1 they know that mark is incredibly sensitive about people thinking he is not intelligent because he continually flunks classes. Mark's usage of the word 'stupid' was 100% intentional. And sadly all of this subtext is completely absent in the remake. Also, i'd like to point out the psp remake's need to label brad, LITERALLY label him as "Smug Student", as if they themselves have so little faith in their script that they do not feel confident that their dialog by itself will be able to convey proper characterization, and thus they decided to label each character so that the poor, poor person playing the psp remake doens't have to wonder about the mystery of any of these character for even one second as it is all laid out already. BADLY.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom