Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Voice Command Games

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I tried Tom Clancy's End War but it was boooooring as hell, however I liked the whole voice orders thing.

So, does anyone know of any fun game that can be commanded using a mic?

Because apparently there's nothing like screaming into your DS in a bus or on a train(since that's about only place where one would actually use it).

ROCK OUT!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well the only person I've ever seen using a DS is my 7-year old niece, playing Nintendogs. It's kinda cute when she yells at her DS to make the pixel-doggie do tricks. At least she's not pestering me to play with her anymore. Well spent money.

MetalCraze

Arcane
OFP/ArmA with Pilfius.
Saves you from a lot of pain browsing through uncomfortable menus while controlling AI squad.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
That actually looks interesting, any comments in the experience with it? Can you set your own phrases for every order or they have "premade" ones? In that case, it's very bitchy about the pronunciation?

Suchy

Arcane
You can set up set up Pilfius for almost any game you want, you just link a voice command to a key sequence.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Berekän said:
That actually looks interesting, any comments in the experience with it? Can you set your own phrases for every order or they have "premade" ones? In that case, it's very bitchy about the pronunciation?

Yes, you can script any commands you wish (you basically input text and tie key pressing queue to it)

No, it's based on Microsoft Speech SDK meaning that it can forgive accents quite easily provided you have a more or less good mic.

It's much more comfortable than digging through often terrible OFP menus - as instead of, for example, pressing F2, F3, F5 to select 2nd, 3rd and 5th team members you can just say "two three five" and then "hold fire" to order them to do that action. Ordering your guys to take cover, crouch, board vehicles is much faster and more comfortable this way. I even noticed that missions where you control AI squad were going smoother.

Catalina

Scholar
GarfunkeL said:
Well the only person I've ever seen using a DS is my 7-year old niece, playing Nintendogs. It's kinda cute when she yells at her DS to make the pixel-doggie do tricks. At least she's not pestering me to play with her anymore. Well spent money.

There's always Phoenix Wright (anime court drama comedy game), you can scream "objection" into the mic.

Or Hey, You Pikachu for Nintendo 64.

Suchy

Arcane
Gave it a try and it's indeed much better. PiLfIuS uses MS speech recognition engine and you have to train it for general use, game commands are only recognized based on what the text you typed should sound.
GC2 also can work like this, but additionaly you can train your commands and the result is much better.

Too bad the GC site is down and you can't buy/register it. I had to torrent pirated version.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
My only real gripe with Game Commander 2 though is the reality of its use. While I like the idea of not needing my keyboard for clickity games like Torchlight, the reality is that its much faster and accurate to hit a button on your keyboard then to say a command and hope it's recognized.

Actually, the real issue is my fault. I say things differently at different times during a game. For example, "switch weapon" when I am in town. And, "SWITCHWEAPONSONABITCH" when in the middle of a thousand baddies about to die.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Trust me - you'll get killed 10 times in OFP during a hot situation while you'll be trying to select a few specific soldiers in your squad via keyboard and then dig through OFP's menu to give them that order to hit the deck.

With Pilfius I was able to fully concentrate on shooting baddies and not looking at the keyboard checking if I'll press the correct key so I won't break the combo needed to issue a simple order.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom