Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Void Bastards - strategy/FPS from Jon Chey of System Shock 2 and Bioshock

I really enjoyed it. I liked the sense of progression. I like games where you go on missions and return to a safe place to upgrade equipment, skills, craft stuff. Void Bastards was perfect for this type of gameplay loop. It wasn't too grindy, it didn't overstay its welcome. Sometimes you failed to bring anything useful from the mission, sometimes you brought great stuff.

Any recommendations for games with similar gameplay loop? I accept 2D games, older games, AAA games. Throw titles at me. Games where you go on mission, return, upgrade, go on mission.
Example of game that I didn't like that much: This War of Mine. It was too stressful, there was always too little of supplies. Void Bastards isn't very easy, but failing a mission isn't super punishing.

Games that I got recommended so far: Chernobylite, Hades and Risk of Rain 2 (I played the first one, like it a lot).
I mean you’re basically just talking about Roguelites.

Hades, Dead Cells, and Rogue Legacy 2 are probably the biggest ones, but it’s a pretty popular sub-genre these days. If you’re specifically looking for first-person ones you might check out Mooncrash.

NorwegianWolf

Educated
I know this is description of Roguelites, but I can see two subgenres there:
TYPE 1: Games where there is no upgrading other than current playthrough, and current playthrough is all that matters. Usually one game takes 30-90 minutes and failure is final. Examples: FTL, Into The Breach, Risk Of Rain.
TYPE 2: Games where you perform short missions and between missions upgrade skills, equipment etc, so that you can perform even better missions, and finally complete some bigger objective. One playthrough takes 5-50 (?) hours, and failure means return to "base". Even failed missions contribute something to progress. Examples: Void Bastards, Undermine.

Of course there are hybrids between types as well, but I'm looking for recommendations of clear examples of TYPE 2.

NorwegianWolf

Educated
Thank you for the clarification. Roguelite and roguelike are used almost as synonyms in Steam descriptions.

Thank you for the clarification. Roguelite and roguelike are used almost as synonyms in Steam descriptions.
Yeah Steamtags are pretty much nonsense; it sucks that they are so frequently misleading, but oh well people are dumb.

Other recs I thought of:

Barony: Great game. Feels like someone made a roguelite version of UUW, but without a bunch of trap builds (there are still SOME trap builds though).

One More Dungeon 2: Basically a slightly jankier, more humorous version of Barony. Quite good.

Atomicrops: Fun roguelite/shmup hybrid. Not going to give you 50
or probably even 5 hours of enjoyment, but it’s dirt cheap and it’s great fun while the novelty lasts.

Streets of Rogue: I would argue this one is more imm-sim than roguelite or roguelike, but it definitely has some intentional affects of both (and it’s also one of my favorite games of the past decade).

Spukrian

Savant
Any recommendations for games with similar gameplay loop? I accept 2D games, older games, AAA games. Throw titles at me. Games where you go on mission, return, upgrade, go on mission.
If you’re specifically looking for first-person ones you might check out Mooncrash.
Mooncrash is fantastic. I'd say that gameplay wise it's similar to Void Bastards, but it lacks the "strategical" layer. There are less calmer moments between "missions" so YMMV. Also, Mooncrash is a DLC for Prey, so you'd have to play that first and the base game of Prey isn't a rougelite.

Latelistener

Arcane
Any recommendations for games with similar gameplay loop?
Practically any modern roguelite with meta progression has this kind of structure. Not that it's exclusive to roguelites, but that's what Void Bastards was inspired with. It depends on what genre you want.

This War of Mine could've been miles better, if only they allowed you to actually rest on your base without the annoying timer, that forces you to run like a headless chicken between floors.

I personally enjoyed Void Bastards, it's a solid project that unfortunately brings nothing new to the table.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom