Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Volourn + NWN2: A Single Journey, Many Spoilers, and Boredom

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I'm talking about people who have actually played NWN2, dumbass. Unless you have and I missed it in the bllions of NWN2 posts, my point generally stands. :D

Plus, what part of the word 'most' don't you understand? Hmmm... :?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
"Shield, Tower

This massive wooden shield is nearly as tall as you are. In most situations, it provides the indicated shield bonus to your AC. However, you can instead use it as total cover, though you must give up your attacks to do so. The shield does not, however, provide cover against targeted spells; a spellcaster can cast a spell on you by targeting the shield you are holding. You cannot bash with a tower shield, nor can you use your shield hand for anything else.

When employing a tower shield in combat, you take a -2 penalty on attack rolls because of the shield’s encumbrance."

"Tower Shield Proficiency [General]
Prerequisite

Shield Proficiency.
Benefit

You can use a tower shield and suffer only the standard penalties.
Normal

A character who is using a shield with which he or she is not proficient takes the shield’s armor check penalty on attack rolls and on all skill checks that involve moving, including Ride.
Special

Fighters automatically have Tower Shield Proficiency as a bonus feat. They need not select it. "

"TOTAL COVER

If you don’t have line of effect to your target he is considered to have total cover from you. You can’t make an attack against a target that has total cover.

(Of course, any self-respecting DM will order fighter-types to lug around their tower shields in proper pack animals, as there you shouldn't be carrying a shield as tall as yourself on the same horse that you're riding. The DM should also implement the proper rules that prevent you from auto-magically equipping the tower shield at the drop of a hat; it's an unwieldy piece of equipment that takes time to get into position.)

crufty

Arcane
I was thinking about what I'd have to do to procure NWN2 until I read the quote that NWN1 OC might be better then NWN2 OC. Since, even though I enjoyed NWN1 quite a bit, I thought the OC was uttter tripe--this gives me pause. Is that really the case?

Not that I have a computer to run the game, but...if NWN1 and NWN2 campaigns are mentioned as even being in the same league with each other, I'm worried.

Binary

Liturgist
Thanks for the review, but I would love to know about the engine's performance. Will it run on a "less modern" PC? :)

Voss

Erudite
Volourn said:
"This is actually closer to PnP than the way they were done in NWN1."

No. Not unless 3.5 has complete changed how the tower shields work. And, no, this isn't why by character sheet attack bonus is off. It's off because it's a bug. How do I know? Because, in the combat screen, I'm getting my correct attack bonus.

Well, 3.5 complete(ly) changed how tower shields work, then. Do you want me to cite page numbers for you?

Oh, aweigh already pasted quotes.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Okay. They got that part right then more or less. Not exactly as pnp. Stupid 3.5 D&D. Another reason to hate that - making tower shields evenb more uber. Why the decision to only have fighters have the feat automatically? Weird..

Still doens't chnage the fact that my character sheet is bugged. LOL

Binary: It runs well on mine though mine's a 'modern' PC in the sense I pretty much pass the recommndations eaisly.

Crufty: It's my opinion. I';m sure otehrs - espicially those who are Obsidian fanboys and/or loathe BIO - will LOVE NWN2 OC and pretend that it's wayyyyy better than NWN1 OC.

To me, it's about par. Overall, I've give the slight edge to NWN2 OC though NWN1's actual story is better.

Drakron

Arcane
Shield, Tower: This massive wooden shield is nearly as tall as you are. In most situations, it provides the indicated shield bonus to your AC. However, you can instead use it as total cover, though you must give up your attacks to do so. The shield does not, however, provide cover against targeted spells; a spellcaster can cast a spell on you by targeting the shield you are holding. You cannot bash with a tower shield, nor can you use your shield hand for anything else.
When employing a tower shield in combat, you take a –2 penalty on attack rolls because of the shield’s encumbrance.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

aboyd

Liturgist
Regarding NWN 1's OC, I actually fell asleep at the computer one night while playing SoU -- it couldn't hold my interest. But NWN 2 seems to have a lot going for it. The joinable NPCs are more interesting in my opinion. Even the annoying Tiefling had a fun argument with the druid. I like seeing their personalities. And the dialogues have a lot more impact, although it's not perfect. I think the battles are more enjoyable. With rare exceptions, I think players will enjoy the NWN 2 OC more. Of course, I haven't got to the end of the game yet, so if it's botched like KotOR 2 was botched, then all bets are off.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I recommend http://www.d20srd.org/ for all your SRD needs, as it has every single term, mechanic, feat, condition, spell, weapon, etc, hyperlinked and ready to peruse. For example, you can click on the Tower Shield's "cover" ability and read the descriptions for all the different cover conditions.

By the way, total cover would also grant you corresponding bonuses to a few saving throws.

And finally, 3.5 > 3.0. It provides more tactical options and brings DND closer to its wargaming roots than previous DND incarnations. For the ultimate combination, implement d20 Modern mechanics as house rules into 3.5 DND.

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
To me, it's about par. Overall, I've give the slight edge to NWN2 OC though NWN1's actual story is better.

See, that scares me, because the NWN OC story was bad. Otoh, you probably disagree with me entirely, so I think we just have different tastes in narrative and storytelling; I'm still really looking forward to opening my mailbox tonight and finding NWN2.

Voss

Erudite
Vollie's wacky opinion aside, the story, while not stellar, is a bit better than NWN1's OC. At least so far. While some gimmicks and railroading has ensued, I haven't spent the first chapter jumping up and down next to the major NPCs yelling 'Thats the villain! Him, right there! How can you not see that, you fucking morons!'

And while there are some standard hoops to jump through and the first chapter is devoted to pieces of magical artifact, it isn't quite as formulaic as 'fetch four pieces of the magic foozle while hacking through crowds of mooks'.

There are a significant number of mooks, but theres some variation. For example, while dealing with watch patrols, some were straight combat, others involved bribery, intimidation and moral issues. And not just good/evil moral issues, either. Some focus around the morality of upholding the law (or not) and the consequences thereof.

Theres also a bit more in the way of side quests and exploration (as opposed to 4 areas you must quest through). And your NPCs amount to more than a lock picker/meat shield.

Keep in mind that so far, this only applies to Prologue/First Chapter.

elander_

Arbiter
The character interaction looks very good. Everything else is crap. Period.

Texas Red

Whiner
elander_ said:
The character interaction looks very good. Everything else is crap. Period.

Do you base that opinion on something or...? NWN 2 is an RPG that we all been waiting for. I dont know what else you would want.

First of all, some of you people may have been reading the official forums and seen the huge amounts of complaining because of the camera control and the UI. Personally, I cant see *anything* that needs fixing. The camera is the same as it was in NWN 1, exept now it moves up and down if you move your mouse on the edges of the top and down screen. Maybe all of the people are just jumping on the camera bashing wagon, I dont know. But there is nothing wrong with it!

I had zero problems with the UI. Perfectly fine. Another mystery for me why people mislike it.

I dont meet the recommended requirements and yet I can still run this game decently without any lagg on pretty darn good graphical settings. However, it seems that people with uber rigs cant run NWN 2 at all without ridiculous lagg. I assume a fix will be out soon.

Voss

Erudite
OK, if you can look at ...anything at all... and not see *something* that needs fixing, then something is seriously wrong with you. As in a complete lack of critical thinking skills.

You also apparently need a long lesson in 'Other people are not you, and may not share your opinions'

Also, a nitpick. Lag doesn't not need or want an extra g.

JrK

Prophet
The Walkin' Dude said:
I had zero problems with the UI. Perfectly fine. Another mystery for me why people mislike it.

I dont meet the recommended requirements and yet I can still run this game decently without any lagg on pretty darn good graphical settings. However, it seems that people with uber rigs cant run NWN 2 at all without ridiculous lagg. I assume a fix will be out soon.

Seconded. I'm running it on a minimum-spec machine except the vidcard which is two steps better(GForce 6600) and I'm having NO lag whatsoever. The UI is a lot more smooth than nwn1.

Texas Red

Whiner
Voss said:
OK, if you can look at ...anything at all... and not see *something* that needs fixing, then something is seriously wrong with you. As in a complete lack of critical thinking skills.

You also apparently need a long lesson in 'Other people are not you, and may not share your opinions'

Also, a nitpick. Lag doesn't not need or want an extra g.

Of course its not perfect. I only wished to adress the most common issues. And with them I had no problems. I dont understand how one can hate the current camera because it is the same as it was in the first Neverwinter.

elander_

Arbiter
The Walkin' Dude said:
Do you base that opinion on something or...? NWN 2 is an RPG that we all been waiting for. I dont know what else you would want.

Have you ever played ToEE with the latest fan patch? No? Then you should, to see the combat system D&D games should use.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Apologies Volourn, I must have been a bit 'grouchy' when posting that comment. Glad to read your enjoyment shared.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I'm actually really enjoying this game, currently working for the neverwinter city watch, i've enjoyed all the quests so far *teensy weensy spoler* was it just just me that laughed out loud when that vallis faggot was hung for treason? just seeing him swinging there was hilarious, i used intimidating conversation though, so i'm not sure how his fate turned out for the other dialogues choices.

I'm currently playing a dark dwarf fighter, who's also a handsome motherfucker, but yeah, alot of people have commented on my race, and seem quite surprised i'm running about the place. I'm not sure how "deep" this goes, but it's nice to see some NPC's acknowledge it. But also i'm a neutral...chaoticy character that looks out for himself and his team, and i feel that so far, with the dialogue and the quests that i can actually PLAY like that, unlike the KOTOR games where it pretty much *light side* do gooder fag or *dark side* sadistic murderous cunt.

As volourn said, i really like the dwarf and elf, i quite like the tiefling aswell, she doesn't bother me at all, but i've also just found a warlock called qarl, the dialogue with her i've really liked so far.

So aye, i'm really enjoying it, plus it's a very polished product, considering it's atari and with gothic 3 and dark messiah having so many troubles, this is wonderfull to see.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"current camera because it is the same as it was in the first Neverwinter."

No, it isn't. If it was, I would LOVE the camera. But, it's below par. Period.

Drakron

Arcane
I started as a drow (finaly got my wish for proper deities list) but its kinda disapointing when NPCs just call it a "elf", expecialy the dwarf NPC that have no problems in having a drink with a drow and call it a elf ... he really must have been hit in the head several times.

I dont have much issues with the camera, controls are simple but I wished they had a key to highlight doors and things we can interact with.

Drakron

Arcane
Oh great ... I am hearing laughter now ...

Stupid european manual.

Nael

Arcane
Drakron said:
I started as a drow (finaly got my wish for proper deities list) but its kinda disapointing when NPCs just call it a "elf", expecialy the dwarf NPC that have no problems in having a drink with a drow and call it a elf ... he really must have been hit in the head several times.

Only a WoW or Morrowind fan would play a dark elf in a D&D setting outside of the Underdark :P

Volourn

Pretty Princess
yes! Nesshka is thrown in the trash! LONG LIVE QUARA! It's too bad that influence seems to work like KOTOR2. NPCs influence you; not the other way around. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom