Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

VtM:B The Sewers or WTF are they thinking?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
RK47 said:
My current impression:
Prince: He's a lying bastard. I would love to kill him and take his place. I guess I'm playing by the Cammy rule so I can get enough power in the organization, when the time is right, I'll boot his ass.

Ming Xiao: Just a bitch who is after the Kindred. She will die by my hand.

Rodriguez: Has the looks of Tony Stark, but none of that asshattery from Marvel Civil War. I regretted fingering him as a suspect to that dead guy. I don't agree with the Anarch's idealogy but I know he's standing for the little people of the Kindred. His posse is cool too, Jack and that commie Che Guevara chick lol.

Seems you should take your place in the pyramid and side with Maximillian. (did you get that freaking haven?).

You would like to play again and side with the Anarchs just to see what happened to Nines after the Park :)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
100% sure I'm replaying a Malkavian.

VasikkA

Liturgist
I ran through the sewers, zombie hotel and the other generic foe levels. It didn't take me longer than 30 minutes or so. There's no point wasting time in poorly designed dungeons. I'm glad there weren't any important plot items down there or maybe I was just lucky.

Zombie hordes and respawning enemies totally killed my fps rate. The hotel was almost unplayable.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
aweigh said:
I did the aggro path in the Giovanni mansion just for kicks, (I had enough skillz to have the girl lead me to the tomb), and it was a fucking bloodbath. I think I spent more shells than than the Matrix. THAT was an enjoyable shoot-out, unlike the Sewers/Sabbat/Chink mansion.
Nah, the Hollowbrook Hotel is the part where ranged combat focused characters really shine. Narrow corridors and tons of objects to cover behind.

Wesp5

Arcane
Lurkar said:
dagorkan said:
You missed the most hilarious thing RK47, which is that leaving the Nosferatu hideout takes about two minutes down a short, totally safe tunnel... opening right out in central Hollywood!

So, erm, how exactly were they 'trapped'?

They weren't. Gary tells you as much when you see him. He basically goes "Yeah, I know the sewers are filled with those monsters, but who the fuck cares? You think we aren't prepared? Thanks for killing them, I guess."

I guess that is typical for Vampire: The Masquerade and for Bloodlines as well. The older vampires are playing the younger ones to do their work :)!

Nael

Arcane
RK47 said:
100% sure I'm replaying a Malkavian.

Female Malkavian is the only character I can still play that game on. From the dialogue, to the abilities, to the gameplay style those abilities allow for, to the damn look of your armor. By far it seems like it was favored by the dev team as the canon character build, because almost every other clan takes alot more to be successful (read also: bearable) with in almost all areas of the game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
@OP:

The game only gets worse. House of respawning chinamen isn't even the worst, though it can be. There's also a fucking stupid hotel of killstorming, some mansion with Italian guys, etc, etc. It's going to get worse, and plenty. Especially the endgame. You've seen everything nice this game offers by the point you reach china town; might as well go play another game. Oh, but get a video of the endings.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
The ninjas in the end were a pain, but still pretty easy as a Tremere...just exploit the bloodsucking bolt thing, it pretty much makes you invincible. But yeah, it's really tedious.

RK47

Patron
Yep finally beat the game, I must admit having the Prince kneel in front of me was quite satisfying especially after his bodyguard nearly owned me, I gambled on flamethrowers but it turned out to be a very weak weapon against bosses...Good thing those ventrue mafias (or was it Prince clones) are carrying Steyr Augs.

I'm probably gonna try to open that sarcophagus on my next playthrough. Can anyone gimme a little hint on how to do so? I sided with the Tremere primogen on this playthrough and got the (I assume) 'You take over the mantle of the prince of Camarilla' etc.

RK47

Patron
One more question there was this Swat guy with dynamite strapped on his body...He looked like the Prince...and sounded like the Prince.. I thought bullets might blow up the bomb...so I decided to just blood boil him. Boom. Out comes the explosive from his body...

So..is it really the Prince or was it someone else?
whothehellisthis.jpg

dagorkan

Arbiter
aweigh said:
I did the aggro path in the Giovanni mansion just for kicks, (I had enough skillz to have the girl lead me to the tomb), and it was a fucking bloodbath. I think I spent more shells than than the Matrix. THAT was an enjoyable shoot-out, unlike the Sewers/Sabbat/Chink mansion.
Same here, lol.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
RK47 said:
One more question there was this Swat guy with dynamite strapped on his body...He looked like the Prince...and sounded like the Prince.. I thought bullets might blow up the bomb...so I decided to just blood boil him. Boom. Out comes the explosive from his body...

So..is it really the Prince or was it someone else?
whothehellisthis.jpg

It was the prince using the dominate discipline to possess one of his lackeys (thats one of its uses in PnP).

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
RK47 said:
I'm probably gonna try to open that sarcophagus on my next playthrough. Can anyone gimme a little hint on how to do so?
Join the Prince. :D If I'm not mistaken you also get an option to open the sarcophagus if you side with the Anarchs or go rogue.

Mamon

Scholar
I bought the game a few weeks but never opened yet. Let me get this straight. There are four hubs: Santa Monica, Downtown, Hollywood and Chinatown. The game goes BAD at chinatown, correct?

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
RK47 said:
VtM:B is a good game. A really good FPS/RPG Hybrid it has that Deus Ex quality of multiple solution and does not reward combat the way other games does. You only get XP on quest completion. I enjoyed it, it stopped me from power gaming like a nut in AD&D and debated over how many XP per kill compared to a diplomatic solution to a quest.

Yea, I really like that as well, you could say Deus Ex rewards in a similar way - you get canisters after finishing certain points of the game.

This is how the old World of Darkness and new World of Darkness have always been. They are more about the story and reward based on that as opposed to dungeon crawling like AD&D.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
You could side with the Tremere Primogen? Dammit, I played Tremere, didn't even realise you could do that, I sided with the anarchs.

...actually, it's awesome that I didn't even realise that option was there! :D

dagorkan

Arbiter
Why is it awesome? All that's different is a few paragraphs of dialog. You go see him, he says "Go kill Boss A, then kill Boss B... kthxbye". You go do that massacring entire battallions of ninja-SWAT vampires along the way, and at the very last moment the Tremere guy magically appears, says "good work". Then game end credits begin.

That's all that's different.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Well, it may be just a minor modification but the fact that I never even knew the option was there is kinda neat. As in, the entire end path wasn't laid out in 2 plainly obvious choices for you ala Bioware games.

dagorkan

Arbiter
There is only ONE choice that leads to being able to do the "Tremere ending". You have to do the Golem quest in Hollywood and go ask Strauss about it. If you then hide it from the Baron (no cost to yourself), you get the option of that ending, if you don't you don't get it.

It probably took three or four lines of code in all.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
dagorkan said:
There is only ONE choice that leads to being able to do the "Tremere ending". You have to do the Golem quest in Hollywood and go ask Strauss about it. If you then hide it from the Baron (no cost to yourself), you get the option of that ending, if you don't you don't get it.

It probably took three or four lines of code in all.

It doesn't matter how much code it uses, it matters that there is another different ending that's hard to find, increasing the awesomeness of the game by adding another option that is a secret at the same time.

Mamon

Scholar
Nobody answered my question :(

I bought the game a few weeks but never opened yet. Let me get this straight. There are four hubs: Santa Monica, Downtown, Hollywood and Chinatown. The game goes BAD at chinatown, correct?

RK47

Patron
The best part of the game I have to say are the talking heads. Oblivion's talking heads are shameful compared to these....they gesture...frown...eyes with fear written on it...I never see a robot talking to me.

Mamon

Scholar
Is hollywood as bad as chinatown, or is it more decent?

I know I should play it because I own it, but still I have to know...

RK47

Patron
Hollywood...hahah. I think the area is pretty ok...wait till you head to the sewers... *shiver*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom