Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking VTMB Unofficial Patch Butthurt Thread

Lujo

Augur
I'm replaying it currently, and I'm all over the place with what Wesp did with it.

Original atmosphere and rpg-mechanics haven't been changed.

For example this isn't true. There's music in the game I don't remember being there which changes the mood quite a bit in a direction that really doesn't fit. I would very much enjoy a version of his mod which doesn't alter the music anywhere, that didn't end up in the game for a reason.

THEN there's the question of messing up the game flow in places in various ways.

The Vandal quest. That quest was originally questionable in many ways and I don't mind it being modded, as cutting yourself off from the blood bank is too harsh, and what Vandal asks of you to do is pretty horrifying. Being able to do it to Patty, and being able to not mess yourself up about it as a Nosferatu is fine and dandy in my book, but..

The problem is that being able to send Gimble to him is indefensible. It's crazy because at the moment you send Gimble to Vandal he leaves you in his office where he was about to imprison you to immediately go across town to check out something he could have checked out whenever. Not to mention that it takes substance out of the Gimble quest. That fight is part of VtmB, and is semi-unaviodable, what the change did was make avoiding it be the most convenient and desirable universal way to solve the Vandal demand AND get XP for it. If my child had done this we would have had a long discussion about game design.

But this is even more of a problem in moving Fat Larry back into the alley at the tail end of the downtown map from where you enter. You're kinda supposed to meet him and deal with him right away, which is why he was likely moved to where he was originally.

The restored maze in Grouts mansion is not consistent in tone with the rest of the mansion, too, that was completely unnecessary. From a level design standpoint, it's completely silly, because the textures in the mansion are very consistent otherwise and the ones in the maze aren't consistent with that. Not just that, but it's function as a "shortcut" is undermined by the fact that it's longer and more convoluted and puzzly than what it's supposed to be a shortcut for. Yes, you avoid some combat, but you already had a way to do that.

Blood Heal makes a lot of the game's challenges kinda trivial. Really.

A REALLY useful thing would have been to have spent quest items actually dissapear once they have no more use (keycards and such), my inventory is loaded with crap I'm kinda sure I won't need but have no idea where to stash.

etc etc

--- Some likes for wesp

I do like that selling stuff to the guy on the beach got turned into a quest, same with heather.

I wish you could find Heather in a fixed place after you save her as a Nosferatu, because her jumping you in the sewer is just silly.

The sewer level shortcut I didn't mind. The sewers weren't so bad, honestly, it's just that they're long AF and it breaks immersion. It feels like it's out of some other game.

And if I had a proper, understandable change log of all that was changed I could probably say more.

--- Some thoughts on system implementation

The game still has the same elementary problem that the humanity and masquerade stats are meaningless. Humanity starts too high, is easy to rack up, and difficult to lose, and it virtually impossible to have more than one or two masquerade violation ticks at the same time, so it doesn't feel like a game about Vampires as much a neo-noir with magic powers or superhero's. There's also no pressure to feed. I've heard of a mod which makes your blood actually tick down, I'd love to try it one time if it were somehow available as a standalone tack-on to a stable bugfix patch.

Although, it feels like you could kinda-remake it without the licence easily.

Then the XP and skills game is heavily messed up. Obfuscate is hugely rewarding, because the Nosferatu needs his sneak XP he should be missing on social interactions. But the Malk has both obfuscate and dementate making him able to get both the sneaky bonuses and the talky bonuses easily, and with Auspex he can go max shooty easily, which is the best endgame build anyway, so Malk is essentially OP as all hell when it comes to metagaming. Making combat somewhat trivial is relatively easy for everyone, so the game kinda has 3 modes - easy-do-everything (malkavian), normal (everyone else), self-imposed challenge (nosferatu, although it's not that much of a challenge).

If anything the game needed more clan-exclusive content rather than less. It ups the replayability.

--- Some thoughts on pacing, in the "revisiting VtmB" general line

About the stuff you can't change - there's bad pacing problems from Santa Monica onwards. Folks usually notice at the Sewers or at Chinatown, but the problem is that the Main Quest stuff becomes too samey and divorced from the rest of the world after Santa Monica.

In Santa Monica, You've got Mercurio sending you to the Beach House, but you can also nip over to the hospital to get him some medicine and get involved in random shannenigans there. If you go do his thing in the Beach house - you get to see the pier and the thin bloods which branches out into all sorts of stuff. Main Quest has you looking for Bertram, this leads to fighting the Kuei-Jin. You do the Lily thing, Vandal sends you to the Asylum looking for a victim so you get to run into Jenette. You sell stuff next to where you sleep. The quests actually feel varied, leads to one another reasonably well, etc. The Ocean House level is divorced from the rest of the stuff, but it's just one thing and part of the crazy quest chain for a crazy quest giver. You get to snoop around 4 different parts of the hospital ecah involved with a different quest.

Downtown, though...

You've got the sneak through the garage quest, sneak through a ship quests, sneak through a museum quest, sneak through a mansion quest. They're all samey, and they're all kinda disconected from the other stuff. You could fight through them, sure, but it's all the same. The difference with the fighting quests are that you just can't sneak through them - two are "go to this building, take the elevator, have a fight", two are go to this part of the sewer have a fight, go to this building have a fight. There's the skyline apartments but you just visit all of them, do pretty much the same thing in all of them, and afterwards they're all empty. And the main quest is very much divorced from the side quests. Sure, there's the whole serial killer going on, but it's not much. In Santa Monica the Ocean House can be tolerated, and the whole hub culminates with the separate-map Warehouse extravaganza.

In Downtown, if you do the main plot, you just don't get involved with the side stuff, it's all "warehouses and ocean house hotels". Technically, you're kinda better off doing all of the main quest first and then backtracking through the side stuff. What I did was actually go all the way to find Gary before tackling, say, Vick in downtown.

Because if you ride the train through the Downtown main quest and get to Hollywood,

what happens is that the "main" plot does start by taking place on-location, but in ways that don't really involve you with anything. And then the sewers separating you from the Nosferatu are just too damned long, cutting you off from the sidequests and being "disposable" - there's no point to them once you've done them once. Once you're at the warrens, the Nosferatu just give you a bunch of optional fetch quests, and if you want the plot to go anywhere you have to go to the next hub. And if I understood it correctly, if you're a Nosferatu you don't get the haven until right before pretty much the last mission.

The main plot is just divorced from the surroundings in downtown and hollywood, and if I remembr Chinatown correctly there's pretty much nothing but the main plot there.

Anywho, I'll finish my current run to refresh my memory of the rest of the stuff than see what I think...

Last edited:

HansDampf

Arcane
Chinatown has a couple of sidequests. The weird shopkeeper wants you to plant something in the Lotus Blossom. The fortune teller and the old guy in the Red Dragon want to murder each other. And there's the shark demon ... But, yeah, they aren't connected to the main quest in any way.
I always rushed through Chinatown. It's my least favorite part of the game.

Lujo

Augur
Chinatown has a couple of sidequests. The weird shopkeeper wants you to plant something in the Lotus Blossom. The fortune teller and the old guy in the Red Dragon want to murder each other. And there's the shark demon ... But, yeah, they aren't connected to the main quest in any way.
I always rushed through Chinatown. It's my least favorite part of the game.

I just went to Chinatown to free Barabus to get my second haven. Chinatown is not so much a hub as it is a series of shootouts. It's practically a combat area. It's not an un-fun combat area, but you just get handed a large ammount of XP for several shootouts. The Mandarin quest is kinda ok, but it all feels wrong because there's no variance or rhythm to any of it, it's just fight fight fight. I had max obfuscate so I kinda breezed through it all without having done any hollywood sidequests, any chinatown sidequests, and several other sidequests or having had developed my combat too much.

EDIT: I vaguely remember there being chinatown sidequests, but the "main quest" portion is a rail-shooter. I can see why it's unsatisfying, too. The motivation for it is non-existant. After doing the sewers, you feel like you're supposed to be somehow rewarded for it - but you aren't, you just get jerked around and sent to Chinatown to fetch this random guy because this guy you found after the sewers said so. And that looks like it's going to be just the inital quest in chinatown where something else will develop... but no, there's just no end to that quest, deadly shootout after deadly shootout you keep trying to find that guy for that ingrate. That's part of why chinatown fails, it's main quest isn't related to the main quest in any obvious way. You're just being yanked around

But it's even worse in wesps patch because...

Wesp seems to have serisously messed up the nosferatu quests, Mitnick's chain seems to be impossible to do without the console, and I can't even figure out a way to get the second poster from Gary as the mailbox isn't accepting the photo. I have never seen these quests bugged before, and not all that much wesp did (that was obvious) balances out the sense of regret that this stuff got broken. There very likely wasn't anything that needed fiddling with regarding those two.

Also, I seem to have acquried a crossbow in act one, and also a colt anaconda way before one should've been available to me. And I was sold practically unlimited ammo. I like the bloodbuff nerf, bloodbuff was stupid, I like the sewer shortcut, half of them were truly unnecessary puzzle-platforming, but casually handing the player endgame weapons is literal cheatcodes. This should never be anywhere near a widely distributed patch or if it is it should be in it's own section of "lol wtfmode" that you could tick off not something called "patch+". If someone wants engdame weapons before the endgame they can give themselves those things via console.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
There's music in the game I don't remember being there which changes the mood quite a bit in a direction that really doesn't fit.

That music is unused original Rik Schaffer work created especially for Bloodlines which just didn't make it into the game and which he provided to me because he didn't want it to get lost to the world! Originally you are more of less hearing a few tracks over and over which you probably remember. Now the variety is much bigger, but it should easily be possible to make this another option to disable for the plus patch during installation if enough people are interesting in it.

The problem is that being able to send Gimble to him is indefensible.

That quest solution was suggested to me again and again by a guy on Planet Vampire until I gave in and included it. He argued that for once you didn't have any choice whether to be good or evil, you could only solve that quest by killing an innocent and this was not the philosophy the rest of the game showed. I finally agreed with him as to me RPGs are all about having choices...

But this is even more of a problem in moving Fat Larry back into the alley at the tail end of the downtown map from where you enter.

Sorry, but this is ridiculous! To not see Larry in his changed place someone would need to move through the downtown hub without looking left or right, and he wasn't that more exposed in the original place either. Both locations are in the middle of the hub and I moved him because some of his lines made no sense at all in the old place, even besides him selling illegal weapons right under LaCroix's nose and in full view of a security guard!

The restored maze in Grouts mansion is not consistent in tone with the rest of the mansion, too, that was completely unnecessary.

Yeah, the maze is just an experimental map as we really didn't know what Troika planned to do there. I used it as a place to show off a lot of other unused content too, but as it is completely optional, you can skip it if you don't like it!

Blood Heal makes a lot of the game's challenges kinda trivial. Really.

I disagree! Originally Bloodlines had some Halo kind of magical self-healing which didn't even cost you blood.

A REALLY useful thing would have been to have spent quest items actually dissapear once they have no more use (keycards and such), my inventory is loaded with crap I'm kinda sure I won't need but have no idea where to stash.

The UP added some options to get rid of quest items, like Lily's stuff as long as it was logically and there were NPC lines to use. Also there is a chest container inside the Skyeline Appartments probably intended for you to drop all your stuff into.

I wish you could find Heather in a fixed place after you save her as a Nosferatu, because her jumping you in the sewer is just silly.

The problem with this was that many Nosferatu players missed Heather while using the sewers and this was the only possible solution.

There's also no pressure to feed. I've heard of a mod which makes your blood actually tick down, I'd love to try it one time if it were somehow available as a standalone tack-on to a stable bugfix patch.

This is a feature of more or less all other mayor mods besides the UP, but I think it's completely against the WoD lore, isn't it? If it isn't this might be another possible option to add to the patch installer...

Malk is essentially OP as all hell when it comes to metagaming.

Hm, I think if you build a good character any clan is overpowered during the endgame. I personally had no problems at all playing a Toreador with maxed out Celerity and Firearms and I often hear players complaining that Tremere are OP too!

If anything the game needed more clan-exclusive content rather than less. It ups the replayability.

There is the Clan Quest Mod which does exactly this, but it is not what Troika did! There could have been dozends of sidequests given by NPCs like Strauss, Damsel, Isaac, Gary and LaCroix himself that could have been exclusive to their own clans. Troika made them availabe to all clans instead, probably because there weren't too many sidequests in the first place.

--- Some thoughts on pacing, in the "revisiting VtmB" general line

I fully agree with you here. From Santa Monica on the games get's worse and worse, with more fighting instead of more variable sidequests. This might be the result of time pressure or intentional preparation of the player for the fight-heavy endgame, but it's not optimal either way...

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
Wesp seems to have serisously messed up the nosferatu quests, Mitnick's chain seems to be impossible to do without the console, and I can't even figure out a way to get the second poster from Gary as the mailbox isn't accepting the photo.

I'm not aware of any issues there! I didn't change anything with Mitnick's quest line, but I did move some poster quests because originally you got stuck early on as one poster wasn't available when you got the quest. I do know though that there are sometimes random bugs with the mailbox.

Also, I seem to have acquried a crossbow in act one, and also a colt anaconda way before one should've been available to me.

I didn't make the Anaconda available sooner than in the original game at all, but I did indeed made the Katayan drop his weapons because I absolutely hate that enemies have their weapons magically disappear only because the player shouldn't get them! As the crossbow is pretty much useless anyway, this isn't much of a problem in my opinion. I will propbably even make it a flaming crossbow in the next version of the patch for it to have some practical value at all...

Last edited:

Lujo

Augur
Against my better jugdment I'll get into a discussion with you. Or rather say my say. There's no point to this, as quite a bit of experience with modders, especially ones modding tricky older games (although I don't consider this an older game XD) has thought me that nothing good ever comes off it. Just remember - all of the following I say with the best intentions and pretty much for your own good. Christians consider pride the greatest of capital sins (afaik) and while I'm not very much down with them, in that case I agree - although in my experience modders generally don't. XD

I've found a lot of stuff about your patch that I disagree with, and not on any subjective grounds. I've also googled around for alternatives a bit, and found that a bunch of weirdos have had issues with your work before and have made what seems a more sensible patch. Being weirdos they refuse to update it for windows 10, so I was stuck with your patch. I'm really annoyed by the fact that rather legit criticism has been leveled at you by apparent weirdos, because you might be more disinclined to listen to it. But, since I see other people have probably tried to tell you this, and obviously failed, I'm gonna take the weirdo route because wth.

Having said all that...

That music is unused original Rik Schaffer work created especially for Bloodlines which just didn't make it into the game and which he provided to me because he didn't want it to get lost to the world! Originally you are more of less hearing a few tracks over and over which you probably remember. Now the variety is much bigger, but it should easily be possible to make this another option to disable for the plus patch during installation if enough people are interesting in it.

The variety is bigger, but the tone and atmosphere is wrong. The re-introduced tunes seem to be much lighter, and the consistency of the somewhat repetitive sountrack worked to add cohesion to the world. If I did what you did and presented it to a proper producer or an art teacher worth a damn, he would have flunked or berated me, and I would have agreed and apologized for trolling him.

The weirdo patch board seems to have also noticed this back in the day, and if it can be disabled in the installation there's certainly going to be people who would appreciate it. This is a common theme with your alterations - they are hit and miss, so modularity, if possible, would do a world of good.

That quest solution was suggested to me again and again by a guy on Planet Vampire until I gave in and included it. He argued that for once you didn't have any choice whether to be good or evil, you could only solve that quest by killing an innocent and this was not the philosophy the rest of the game showed. I finally agreed with him as to me RPGs are all about having choices...

No, the person suggesting it was not qualified to make the suggestion. The solution of sending Gimble is convenient to the point that it removes all choice - you actually get to evade a signature early game fight and pretty much destroy that encounter with a solution which makes the brain hurt. He calls you to his office ready to murder you and then rushes off to the blood clinic RIGHT AWAY leaving you there? And you also get XP for something that didn't give XP?

I'll be frank, because listening to what I'm telling you here is so much in your best interest that I could pretty much dip you in a vat of fecal matter and insult your family members one by one three generations back - and it would still be in your best interest to listen to me about this. That Gimble-to-Vandal thing is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen, and makes your patch look bad and gives credence to people badmouthing you even if they are complete creeps. And the hilarious thing is what I just wrote is true.

I could also argue that if someone wants blood-to-go from a helpless torture victim locked up by a malkavians sadistic ghoul - there's no way you're getting that without being evil. You even send Gimble there before you know anything about him. I could go on for days, but it is wrong on so many levels that dignifying it with debate is morally wrong. Someone suggest that you say "No.", they keep pestering you put them on the ignore or ban list, end of discussion.

Sorry, but this is ridiculous! To not see Larry in his changed place someone would need to move through the downtown hub without looking left or right, and he wasn't that more exposed in the original place either. Both locations are in the middle of the hub and I moved him because some of his lines made no sense at all in the old place, even besides him selling illegal weapons right under LaCroix's nose and in full view of a security guard!

Larry's new location isn't in the middle of the hub, but in a back alley which you don't have to access for any reason. There's not that much point looking left and right, honestly, and finding Larry right away, and getting his quest, money and discount is very important in making the combat quests in Downtown a small bit less insane. He was moved for a reason, and his lines are much less relevant than finding him on time.

Again, any project manager I would respect would at the very least consider firing anyone giving him lip about this. Lines be damned, there's a functional reason to put the fat guy in the middle of the street. I'm not your project manager, you do this of your own accord, but that is your problem entirely.

Yeah, the maze is just an experimental map as we really didn't know what Troika planned to do there. I used it as a place to show off a lot of other unused content too, but as it is completely optional, you can skip it if you don't like it!

It's not me liking it or disliking it, it's the lack of understanding of the principles of design which the maze fails at, as well as the principles of design the maze's placement that fails at that cause a lack of confidence in your patch. The maze doesn't fit, and, again, if whoever made it was properly supervised they would have been visited by someone with an art direction file to try to explain why it's so wrong.

Basically, if someone was paying you to make this game, they could fire you over that thing and from the craft perspective I could not blame them one bit. Or at least severely reduce your atonomy in the decision making process. Or if it was a school project or assigment, fail you, or something. The complaints against it would be legit, and making it modular would be very much appreciated.

If you want to feel good about yourself or something, I can't stop you. If you want to do the right thing, get rid of that, or make it modular.

I disagree! Originally Bloodlines had some Halo kind of magical self-healing which didn't even cost you blood.

I said it feels like cheating. Here I was being subjective.

The UP added some options to get rid of quest items, like Lily's stuff as long as it was logically and there were NPC lines to use. Also there is a chest container inside the Skyeline Appartments probably intended for you to drop all your stuff into.

Yes. The suggestion from me, though, is that if you ever mod anything else is that you fix up a system which automatically removes superfulous items from the inventory. If it's possible, cool, if not, oh well. My recent replay of Planescape Torment had me wishing someone did that for that game too, carrying around useless junk in case I need it got tiresome.

Another reason I'm saying it is because I've seen mention of some kind of inventory limitations causing items to not be acquired. If this is an actual problem, then by all means, if you're really out to improve the game, by all means figure out how to get rid of Virgil Crumbs drivers licence and the like automatically once the quest is done.

And again, any "but that doesn't make sense" arguments to this complaint, to a decent project manager, would end up with you being fired immediately and another programmer hired. Not a joke, this would actually happen.

The problem with this was that many Nosferatu players missed Heather while using the sewers and this was the only possible solution.

Ok, I guess. If you can actually be practical like that, please, by all means, extend that to putting Larry back where he was, making Gimble not skippable for XP and bloodbank access, remove the endgame weapon from the initial hub etc.

This is a feature of more or less all other mayor mods besides the UP, but I think it's completely against the WoD lore, isn't it? If it isn't this might be another possible option to add to the patch installer...

It would be an interesting optional varian. Because the way the game plays it doesn't feel like you're a vampire at all. I am 100% positive that an "essentially the same thing" remake could be make to scarily accurate detail without violation any licences simply by not making anyone in the game vampires - and stupidly enough it'd be pretty much the same thing. You don't have to believe me.

Hm, I think if you build a good character any clan is overpowered during the endgame. I personally had no problems at all playing a Toreador with maxed out Celerity and Firearms and I often hear players complaining that Tremere are OP too!

As I said this game is "that buggy game where sad nerds fail at being goths and play Tremere", and this sentence is painfully true. Malk can get all the sneaking bonus XP effortlessly, and all the talky bouns XP effortlessly, AND shoot up the place well enough with very little effort. Meaning they have access to ALL TEH POINTZ1!!!!1!1! in ways noone else quite has. In this game THAT is OP, not who shoots the most magic missile.

Being able to survive/wreck combat is irrelevant in this game, you can't be OP for being able to effortlessly kill stuff in a game that's essentially about superheroes. Everyone's "OP" by default. If you play this game for ti's combat, you're doing it wrong, and again, please, if you find yourself insulted by what I just said in some way (you keep saying you come from a FPS background) know that if I were your boss, and you didn't immediately understand what I meant by Malkavian is OP in this game I would quickly do a mental check to see whether you've been, by accident, allowed to make any decisions or just code what you're told. Really, sad as it is, that's life, and I would be right to do so.

There is the Clan Quest Mod which does exactly this, but it is not what Troika did! There could have been dozends of sidequests given by NPCs like Strauss, Damsel, Isaac, Gary and LaCroix himself that could have been exclusive to their own clans. Troika made them availabe to all clans instead, probably because there weren't too many sidequests in the first place.

Yes, there isn't all that much content anyway, and the philosophy is that wasting time on clan-specific quests means you're making something that's going to be seen by a small amount of people so things generally don't get made that way. It would have also been clunky and counter intuitive to devote areas to such particular quests if they could be acessed by people would couldn't interact with them properly because that just frustrates people.

However, having more clan specific content would increase replayability, there's no denying that. I don't trust the average joe to make it, though.

It's a shame Troika spent so much time on stuff like the Sewers or all of the samey bits, the game could've used more intrigue. Chinatown doesn't actually seem underdeveloped, it just seems badly developed. And as is the case with all the voice-acted games, you can't mod the damned things porperly.

I fully agree with you here. From Santa Monica on the games get's worse and worse, with more fighting instead of more variable sidequests. This might be the result of time pressure or intentional preparation of the player for the fight-heavy endgame, but it's not optimal either way...

I could get into what went wrong, but I kinda lost a lot of time berating you unconstructively and am tired at the moment. I'm very furstrated with some of your fiddling and also with the fact that I know I would not have been able to influence you to undo it even if I bothered to try to kiss your ass XD

I'm not aware of any issues there! I didn't change anything with Mitnick's quest line, but I did move some poster quests because originally you got stuck early on as one poster wasn't available when you got the quest. I do know though that there are sometimes random bugs with the mailbox.

The "random bugs with the mailbox" aren't random, there's a finite number of things that could be causing them. You did fiddle with the cameras and you did replace items with items, so since I got a throwing star in the mail instead of a camera, that's a good place to look.

There's also progression bugs, where Isacs and Lacroixs Hollywood quests can get locked out of progressing, and a bunch of emails can dissapear. I've played the game many times and this is the first time ever I seen this happen, so finding what's causing it could very well easily be traced back to some of your changes, or to whatever the progression triggers for stuff are.

Not that you have to, but again, if I were your project manager...

I absolutely hate weapons magically disappear only because the player shouldn't get them! As the crossbow is pretty much useless anyway, this isn't much of a problem in my opinion. I will propbably even make it a flaming crossbow in the next version of the patch for it to have some practical value at all...

I once knew a guy who modded Fallout 2 to "balance it".

The basic shotgun is the most basic weapon in the game there, first thing you get after the pistol. The shotgun line of progression gimmick is that they all use the same ammo, shotgun shells, so that you can easily progress from the weaker ones to the stronger ones as you find them. This guy "absolutely hated" that the first weapon you get in the game and a bunch of end-game shotguns do different damage - "Because they use the same caliber, how can they do different damage?!".

So he modded the basic shotgun to do the same ammount of damage as the thing you can kill end game monsters with. Since the enemies use the same weapons as the players, this meant that stuff you could meet as a but-naked savage was shooting at you with end-game damage. And you couldn't explain the problem to the man, he actually went to learn how to mod a complicated old game just so that he could make all shotguns do the same damage. The man could decode a decades old game engine like noone I've ever seen, he could code like noone I've ever seen - but he was the last person that should have ever been let anywhere near video game (or mod) development.

I get the same vibe off you. And if you're insulted by this, read what YOU just wrote up there.

The crossbow is an end game weapon. In your patch I get something with effortlessly huge damage and range, a sniper rifle if you will, in the first area of the game. THEN I can buy any amount of ammo of it all through the game. Every time there was combat I massacred whatever I needed to massacre from range with the crossbow, because it's a stupidly powerful endgame weapon. I killed brother Kanker with it, I killed Bishop Vick with it. I killed the monsters in the sewers with it, and the chineese I could snipe with it. You obsoleted the ranged weapon progression, more or less.

And you did it because of logic that would've given me a flamethrower if the Kuei-Jin in the warehouse was a somehow a fire themed enemy.

That guys has the crossbow simply because he's meant to feel special, hit somewhat hard, not shoot bursts, and his combat arena is designed to play off the fact that "asian vampires" of folktale are good at hopping (there's a joke about this in Shadowrun Hong Kong, too). So he hops around the place and shoots non burst projectiles at you, for the most part. He is NOT meant to give you a 60 damage dealing sniper rifle. My next quest is the Giovanni mansion. I do not have a weapon that does more damage than that Crossbow. I'm not sure I even NEED a weapon that does more damage than it, and I'm just a Nosferatu who isn't natually good at ranged combat.

Ask you self - do you understand how stupid, truly stupid, what wrote about the crossbow was? If you were working for a serious company somehow, and you said that in front of someone who could have you lose your job, you would have lost it. Not only that, they would remember you as "that guy" for the rest of their life, like I did with the shotgun guy. They'd tell their friends over drinks, it'd be an amusing anecdote - "there was this guy once who went and put an end-game weapon in the first area", and if someone asked hwy - "because he couldn't understand an enemy skin and flavor from the mechanical rewards of killing them".

Anywho, I don't really expect much to come of me commenting on this, a person who can actually do things like the Gimble thing or the Crossbow thing - there's no reasoning with them. I just felt like shouting at the abbys of human incompetence for a while.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm very furstrated with some of your fiddling and also with the fact that I know I would not have been able to influence you to undo it even if I bothered to try to kiss your ass XD
I think you've misjudged wesp5. First of all he's not the typical modder that goes all emo and dogmatic about his work. Actually you seem much more emotional about this. Let the butthurt subside and keep giving him feedback. He listens to feedback. In fact based on user suggestions he has made many changes in his plus mod, some of them good, some of them maybe not so good. So I'm sure he'll listen and consider making some of the changes you suggest (he loves so much fiddling with this, he can't resist).

Lujo

Augur
I'm very furstrated with some of your fiddling and also with the fact that I know I would not have been able to influence you to undo it even if I bothered to try to kiss your ass XD
I think you've misjudged wesp5. First of all he's not the typical modder that goes all emo and dogmatic about his work. Actually you seem much more emotional about this. Let the butthurt subside and keep giving him feedback. He listens to feedback. In fact based on user suggestions he has made many changes in his plus mod, some of them good, some of them maybe not so good. So I'm sure he'll listen and consider making some of the changes you suggest (he loves so much fiddling with this, he can't resist).

I don't care if I've misjudged wesp5. I haven't misjudged his patch.

I indulged myself a bit, but sadly the things I pointed out are so wrong conceptually that I wouldn't want him to change them because he listened to someone in particular. They are so bad and wrong, that a crazy person could be holding your family hostage at knifepoint and demanding you NOT to fix/undo them, and you would still have to fix/undo them because they are so wrong. You could be told to change that stuff by the most repulsive, vile, awful, annoying, arrogant person in the world in the most unconstructive manner - and you would still have to do it or be a huge fool. What can I say? I didn't give anyone any endgame weapons with unlimited ammo in intro town, and then considered buffing the endgame weapon :D

No skin off my ass, I've got an XP computer, too, I can always get the patch the loonies made, for all their loonieness they seem to have had a better grasp of some fundamental design stuff.

They won't update it for win 10 any time soon, so this is just a farting-in-the-wind attempt to maybe getting this hot mess a bit closer towards sane. As I kept repeating - if wesp5 had actual competent oversight, a bunch of the stuff I've seen in there simply would not have been in there and could not have under any circumstances been there (except as wtf mode option). And a bunch of his reactions to various bugs are odd to say the least.

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The weirdo patch board seems to have also noticed this back in the day, and if it can be disabled in the installation there's certainly going to be people who would appreciate it. This is a common theme with your alterations - they are hit and miss, so modularity, if possible, would do a world of good.
I have to agree here with Lujo and ESh, the modularity would be ideal. Gimble quest is indeed utterly stupid, not sure if Larry is moved in Basic patch too but if he is it should be restored to how it used to be too (it's not like LaCroix would care about some illegal arms dealer and you have to suspense disbelief either way since streets are empty and there are barely any pedestrians there so it's rather obvious that ilegal arms dealer wouldn't be entirely in the open). As for the crossbow, I agree with Wesp5 that not being able to take the enemy's weapon is just stupid. But in general basic patch should only have bugfixes as Esh suggested, anything more should be optional.

HansDampf

Arcane
I'll have to agree on Gimble. That made absolutely no sense, not even as an experimental additon. Sending Patty to Vandal fits much better, and humanity loss is just the price you'll have to pay. In my first game I didn't even finish this quest at all as I never needed to buy blood.

Wesp5

Arcane
I'm really annoyed by the fact that rather legit criticism has been leveled at you by apparent weirdos, because you might be more disinclined to listen to it.

You are aware that you can install my patch in the basic version, which I created exactly because of these weirdos and which even is the default, and which contains nothing that annoys you so much? No Vandal Gimble alternative, no moved Larry, no restored music and no access to the new maps!

...if it can be disabled in the installation there's certainly going to be people who would appreciate it.

Done! This was very easy and will be in the next UP 9.6 beta. I also made all the new particles modular because I sometimes have people complain about low framerates on older computers because of them. Making the patch as modular as suggested here is just not possible and it would confuse a lot of players that don't know the game by heart! If you don't want the new choices, weapons or areas of the plus patch, nobody is forcing you to take them or use them. That's enough modularity inside the game right there...

The solution of sending Gimble is convenient to the point that it removes all choice - you actually get to evade a signature early game fight and pretty much destroy that encounter with a solution which makes the brain hurt.

Sorry, but I disagree with you here. There are a lot of similar quests in Bloodlines in which you are supposed to fight someone or send them to their death and Troika always imcluded an alternative in which you didn't need to do this! Like with the serial killer, Julius, Milligan, Patty and probably others that I don't remember. In a lot of these cases we also have the same effect that the NPC disappears faster than the player could follow him even with Celerity towards the place he is intended to go, which is just a game mechanic.

You even send Gimble there before you know anything about him.

Yes, and you get a Humanity hit for this until you know what kind of guy he was.

Larry's new location isn't in the middle of the hub, but in a back alley which you don't have to access for any reason.

Sorry, but now it sounds as if you are mistaken something. Larry's new position is right in the alley which is the shortcut between the Skyeline Apartments, with your new haven and several quests, and the Last Round where you'll have to go several times. There is no way you can miss him! On the other hand in his old place he is in an side alley where you never have to go until you get given his own parking garage quest and if you don't check out every dead end street, you might never find him leaning out of sight behind his truck!

It's not me liking it or disliking it, it's the lack of understanding of the principles of design which the maze fails at, as well as the principles of design the maze's placement that fails at that cause a lack of confidence in your patch

The maze is a mix of several unfinished areas and my own first mapping effort and may indeed show it. Some people like it much nevertheless, but if you don't, just skip it. There is no reason to even enter the maze entrance room!

The suggestion from me, though, is that if you ever mod anything else is that you fix up a system which automatically removes superfulous items from the inventory.

Troika already included a system like this for keys and it is used most of the time, but there is no easy solution for generic items. Also other people might want to collect the stuff! I will add an option to get rid of all the warrens items for the next beta though...

If this is an actual problem, then by all means, if you're really out to improve the game, by all means figure out how to get rid of Virgil Crumbs drivers licence and the like automatically once the quest is done.

As I already wrote, Troika included a dedicated container for items which to me is much better than to have them magically disappear!

If you can actually be practical like that, please, by all means, extend that to putting Larry back where he was, making Gimble not skippable for XP and bloodbank access, remove the endgame weapon from the initial hub etc.

See above, choose the default basic patch and everything should be to your pleasure!

However, having more clan specific content would increase replayability, there's no denying that.

Then let's hope that burgermeister updates his great Clan Quest Mod one fine day ;)!

You did fiddle with the cameras and you did replace items with items, so since I got a throwing star in the mail instead of a camera, that's a good place to look.

This really sounds as if you continued a basic save game with the plus patch or the other way around...

There's also progression bugs, where Isacs and Lacroixs Hollywood quests can get locked out of progressing, and a bunch of emails can dissapear.

I never heard that before and each patch is downloaded by thousands of players after being beta tested by at least one guy from start to finish. Another hint that something is wrong with your installation! Did you start the game from the shortcut the patch created?

The crossbow is an end game weapon. In your patch I get something with effortlessly huge damage and range, a sniper rifle if you will, in the first area of the game.

You are the first guy I ever heard praising and using the crossbow in such a way and I think you are exaggerating! Here are some stats directly from the game files. The formula behind this is: Damage Potential = (Lethality + Feat adjustment) x Base damage:

Crossbow:
"SkillRequirement" "8" // min. skill requirement used in dmg calculations
"BaseLethality" "16" // base lethality used in dmg calculations
"Dmg" "2 Lethal Ranged_Combat DMG_BULLET"

Thirtyeight:
"SkillRequirement" "4" // min. skill requirement used in dmg calculations
"BaseLethality" "7" // base lethality used in dmg calculations

"SkillRequirement" "5" // min. skill requirement used in dmg calculations
"BaseLethality" "9" // base lethality used in dmg calculations

Shotgun:
"BaseLethality" "20" // base lethality used in dmg calculations
"Dmg" "2 Lethal Ranged_Combat DMG_BUCKSHOT"

The crossbow is better than the first pistols in the game, but that's about it. When it fits your sniper play style you were just lucky!
And you can get the Colt Anaconda in the original game as soon as you reach Hollywood which has a much higher firing rate too:

"BaseLethality" "14" // base lethality used in dmg calculations
"Dmg" "3 Lethal Ranged_Combat DMG_BULLET"

Nevertheless even before this argument I had made getting the crossbow in the plus patch harder, because from the next beta on,
the Katayan will not drop both weapons anymore, but like all other enemies only the weapon he used at the time when he died...

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
That was a good read...
and it virtually impossible to have more than one or two masquerade violation ticks at the same time
Yup, I would say there shouldn't be any way to restore masquerade points. Plus to add some violations like for not retrieving werewolf blood.
Same could be done to humanity.
There's also no pressure to feed. I've heard of a mod which makes your blood actually tick down, I'd love to try it one time
It doesn't really solve a problem, you'll just be forced to run across the map a lot after talking 10 minutes to some NPC.
And there wouldn't be any sense in buying street whores(which is huge gameplay/balance hit).

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
Do you expect players to scrutinize the entire documentation before playing, to find out what should or should not be avoided?

Do you expect players to understand all the options you provided without having played the game with basic and plus already?

Purist Plus Patch
(bugfixes + faithful restoration)

Now who would decide on what would be faithful restorations? We just don't know! Purists should only play the basic patch...

HansDampf

Arcane
Sorry, but I disagree with you here. There are a lot of similar quests in Bloodlines in which you are supposed to fight someone or send them to their death and Troika always imcluded an alternative in which you didn't need to do this! Like with the serial killer, Julius, Milligan, Patty and probably others that I don't remember. In a lot of these cases we also have the same effect that the NPC disappears faster than the player could follow him even with Celerity towards the place he is intended to go, which is just a game mechanic.
It's not that it doesn't make sense in general to send Gimble to the clinic. Theoretically you should be able to send just about any NPC. But in that moment it's so out of character for him to leave you there. You'd have to add some extra dialogue to make it work.

Wesp5

Arcane
But in that moment it's so out of character for him to leave you there. You'd have to add some extra dialogue to make it work.

While you are right about the second part which is the main limitation to add new options when dealing with characters, Gimble looked quite like a complete madman to me, so why would he not leave you for a chance to get some new protheses or something ;)? He freely lets you roam his basement in the normal solution of this quest too, which is as irrational as the new solution...

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
But in that moment it's so out of character for him to leave you there. You'd have to add some extra dialogue to make it work.

While you are right about the second part which is the main limitation to add new options when dealing with characters, Gimble looked quite like a complete madman to me, so why would he not leave you for a chance to get some new protheses or something ;)? He freely lets you roam his basement in the normal solution of this quest too, which is as irrational as the new solution...
With Gimble there's another problem - I don't think that Vandal would survive an encounter with him seeing how strong he is for a human. Anyway, IMO Gimble shouldn't go to the clinic, he's not a moron and he's not a woman (i.e. a weaker gender).

Lujo

Augur
You are aware that you can install my patch in the basic version, which I created exactly because of these weirdos and which even is the default, and which contains nothing that annoys you so much? No Vandal Gimble alternative, no moved Larry, no restored music and no access to the new maps!

The thing with that is that I'm not any kind of purist or that I want nothing ever altered in any way. Your patch isn't modular, and some of the changes are indefensible. They're in there because you've got no quality control, and from what I see either you get no feedback or you ignore it. There's a bunch of generic praise you get around the net just for your ability to do anything to the game, but it seems that anyone who's actually looked at what you've done with it has been trying to tell you the same things.

I like some of your changes, thy're just lumped with changes noone has any good reason to like.

Done! This was very easy and will be in the next UP 9.6 beta. I also made all the new particles modular because I sometimes have people complain about low framerates on older computers because of them. Making the patch as modular as suggested here is just not possible and it would confuse a lot of players that don't know the game by heart! If you don't want the new choices, weapons or areas of the plus patch, nobody is forcing you to take them or use them. That's enough modularity inside the game right there...

Which is why I'm attacking you personally. I could have just sold that crossbow. The problem is that the crossbow or Gimble are so colossally stupid that they undermine any respect for the person who made the patch. The patch has bugs I've never seen in the game and I've been up and down it. If you can make (or include) such monumental failures of reason, how do I trust you on the back end? If you're the same lunatic who doesn't understand that he gave me the endgame sniper rifle in the first area has been fiddling with the bugfixes - god knows what else you messed up.

So I'm not complaining about things I like or don't like, I'm complaining about things that would, if I employed you to do this, lose you the job interview / job right away, and some would also have me mentioning you to my friends in the industry as "that guy you really don't want to hire".

What are you talking about? Gimble is an iconic early game melee fight, he's a "boss", not a random shmoe you get sent to be kill. You don't even KNOW you're supposed to fight him before it's too late. His basemement is designed so that it keeps going and going, and going before there's a fight to let it progressively sink in just how nuts the man is and culminate in a fight. No sane designer would let you send him to Vandal, it would be like letting you send the blood guardian to Vandal. Vandal would certainly love that. Or if you could send brother Kanker or bishop Vick to Vandal.

It is convenient, which is why I did it. It is so convenient that it's the best possible solution to the Vandal thing, which means any guide written with your patch included (like the biggest one on Gamefaqs) should and will advize anyone to to exactly that. I could just not complain about it because you allowed me to cheat.

You've been fiddling with this game for a long time, so I know you can't possibly be a young child anymore. A thing like this you can only get away with if you have no supervision. You can edit the files, and your competition seems to have been socially inept, so you're the one dictating mod compatibility and it made you some kind of official updater for the game. A person who would do this with Gimble, and a bunch of other things, is not qualified for that. That's the plain truth.

The maze is a mix of several unfinished areas and my own first mapping effort and may indeed show it. Some people like it much nevertheless, but if you don't, just skip it. There is no reason to even enter the maze entrance room!

Again, having it there undermines confidence in the back end of the mod. Noone wants to have to pay attetntion to things they have to ignore because someone stuck them in, as it ruins immersion, and you've put something that's out of place in a very ambiental place.

Troika already included a system like this for keys and it is used most of the time, but there is no easy solution for generic items. Also other people might want to collect the stuff! I will add an option to get rid of all the warrens items for the next beta though...

The thing is that you don't KNOW what you need and don't need, the items all look samey anyway, and if you put stuff in a drawer it's not on you in case you need it. Yes, there's a system for keys, obviously, but quests removing quest items when they are done (possibly without indication) would be a rather good thing. If some people would like to collect them - well, some people would like to not be screwed out of quests because they couldn't receive the necessary quest item OR add it by console because some dingus has messed up the item names so he could add junk. In 100% of the cases the later are in the right about this.

There's also a certain amount of chance that you've seriously messed the game up by messing with the inventory items in general. That's putting it diplomatically because I can't know for sure.

But when I see the samples of stupidity you're capable of like the crossbow and Gimble and such, and then I see you claim you couldn't possibly have affected Mitnick, and I KNOW you could have easily did that precisely by restoring content in ways you did, I have good reason to believe that you're messing things up on that end too. I got a throwing star in the mail instead of the camera. I open up the console, try to get a camera, get a squashed blood chalice. It sure looks like you've been fiddling with the exact things which messed that up.

And you probably don't get proper feedback because of two things: a) a bunch of stuff you put in is giving players things they shouldn't have, like extra XP and endgame weapons, and people are unlikely to complain, and b) people google how to use the console to get through messess you might have made and don't bother because they thing things can't be done better and you're some kinda of benevolent genious. Well, you might feel benevolent, but you're cretainly no genious and some of your changes and reaction to various bugs suggest you are in fact not very smart at all.

As I already wrote, Troika included a dedicated container for items which to me is much better than to have them magically disappear!

YOU are a certified idiot who's got where they are because people percieve you as a competent code monkey and noone can be bothered to fiddle with an unfinished old engine. The problem is this doesn't actually seem to be the case because your reactions to bugs are bizzare. If there are bugs related to the state of inventory fullness, then only a fool would write the sentence you just wrote.

See above, choose the default basic patch and everything should be to your pleasure!

Well, NO, it wouldn't because I would have done it already. I liked allowing bakcgrounds to play around with them, I like a bit more XP around the place. Not everything you did was stupid, it's just that some of the things are painfully stupid, and some things are probably causing bugs that are only there because you made them happen.

This really sounds as if you continued a basic save game with the plus patch or the other way around...

-.-

No I didn't, and it really sounds as if you've been fiddling with the items in obviously unadvisable ways. You claimed a bug that was caused by not having the latest phyton was likely caused by my mouse when a science paper could be written about why this couldn't possibly be.

I never heard that before and each patch is downloaded by thousands of players after being beta tested by at least one guy from start to finish. Another hint that something is wrong with your installation! Did you start the game from the shortcut the patch created?

Most people give up before they reach that point, and your tester guy could have simply not triggered whatever is causing this. I did start it with the shortcut the patch created. My character being a Nosferatu might have something to do with it, too.

You are the first guy I ever heard praising and using the crossbow in such a way and I think you are exaggerating! Here are some stats directly from the game files. The formula behind this is: Damage Potential = (Lethality + Feat adjustment) x Base damage:

Crossbow:
"SkillRequirement" "8" // min. skill requirement used in dmg calculations
"BaseLethality" "16" // base lethality used in dmg calculations

Thirtyeight:
"SkillRequirement" "4" // min. skill requirement used in dmg calculations
"BaseLethality" "7" // base lethality used in dmg calculations

"BaseLethality" "9" // base lethality used in dmg calculations

Shotgun:
"BaseLethality" "20" // base lethality used in dmg calculations
"Dmg" "2 Lethal Ranged_Combat DMG_BUCKSHOT"

The crossbow is better than the first pistols in the game, but that's about it. When it fits your sniper play style you were just lucky!
And you can get the Colt Anaconda in the original game as soon as you reach Hollywood which has a much higher firing rate too:

"BaseLethality" "14" // base lethality used in dmg calculations
"Dmg" "3 Lethal Ranged_Combat DMG_BULLET"

Nevertheless even before this argument I had made getting the crossbow in the plus patch harder, because from the next beta on,
the Katayan will not drop both weapons anymore, but like all other enemies only the weapon he used at the time when he died...

The crossbow does not "fit my sniper playstyle", you complete idiot, I picked up a "sniper playstyle" because a moron gave me a weapon with a ton of range and huge damage. It's "only" better than the initial pistols? I killed Kanker and Vic by repeatedly casting raven on them while I reload and shooting them with a huge damage crosbow bolts from quite far away, because a moron gave me a weapon which lets me easily breeze trough two bossess without putting anything in combat disciplines. From the moment I got the crossbow, up until the giovanni mansion it has consistently done the most damage at a range I would opt to use range weapons at. Most of the time significantly so.

EDIT: Your suggested solution - you'll make the progression breaking end-game weapon drop only 50% of the time. Excellent! So you'll give half the players the sniper rifle, and you won't give half the players the sniper rifle. How, why, how did it happen that you got to be the person modding anything? There are people who can both code, breathe and think, why can't you?

Look, I can personally ignore the crossbow, but it's a colossally stupid thing to do, and attempting to defend it is even more stupid. All this tells is that you're doing a job that you have practically 0 qualification for except that you seem to have had the time to figure out how to alter a game in an old engine. If you had to pass any kind of test to determine whether you should be allowed to do this, you would be incapable of passing it. You don't seem to be able to distinguish visual components from functional ones - the "crossbow" could have the graphics of a slingshot firing flaming cats, it's still a deadly sniper rifle and giving it to an easly character is the equivalent of giving them a flamethrower, but even worse bcause it's got better range and cheaper ammo.

A competent developer does not do this, period.

It doesn't really solve a problem, you'll just be forced to run across the map a lot after talking 10 minutes to some NPC.
And there wouldn't be any sense in buying street whores(which is huge gameplay/balance hit).

Yeah ultimately it's just a chore, I'd just like to give it a whirl, see how it feels. Anything to give some sense of being a vampire.

But feeding is kinda trivial anyway, I mean, I'm a nosferatu and I hardly ever did anything for but jump people on the street. I don't think I ever actually paid a hooker for blood in all my time playing the game with anyone, ever.

Heck, I'm walking around well lit streets as a Nosferatu, nothing ever happens. One random violation in all the game. I don't really use the sewers except to fast-travel, really.

Last edited:

HansDampf

Arcane
He doesn't. He lures you into his basement to kill you there. If you send him to the clinic, then you can freely explore his basement and find Carson and what's left of McGee. Gimble may be a madman, but he's not stupid. He can visit the clinic later.

Lujo

Augur
usually its the modders that exhibit this kind of crazy

Seeing that the modder exibits extraordinary ammounts of incompetentce, I feel like venting :D It's just so pointless and hopeless that it feels doomed anyway, but I might make it fun for myself.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
Heck, I'm walking around well lit streets as a Nosferatu, nothing ever happens. One random violation in all the game. I don't really use the sewers except to fast-travel, really.
This also can be fixed, but by who...?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom