Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warcraft 3

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Is there still a lot of people playing on battlenet? I got this urge to play but I seem to have lost my cd keys along with the boxes (war 3 and expansion) so I was wondering if it is worth a repurchase.

Any help appreciated.

Nedrah

Erudite
I'm active on Northrend, usually as Sir-lose-a-lot. I just got into playing 2v2 and 3v3 AT but I do solo, too. I'd say it's still definitely worth the purchase if you liked the game in the first place, still plenty of people to play with, most of them still retarded as ever. Drop me a pm if you decide to get the game again and if Northrend gives you bearable pings. The game recently received a new patch which added a few neat features, too. Also you might want to look into just getting the keys from Ebay, I've had nothing but good experiences with that, just check out the seller first.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Awesome I think I'll buy it again. I'm a little rusty (never was very good back then anyway) but I'm playing the single player campaign just to remember a few things.

Nedrah

Erudite
The campaign won't do much for you in terms of battle.net

Just get your keys and drop me a message or look me up on bnet, I'll help you get up to speed with a few games. There's also another codexer I've been teaming up a few times with lately on Northrend, I'm sure he'll be happy to train a bit with you, too :)

Nedrah

Erudite
I don't really play any custom maps, but then again, I might try.

OccupatedVoid, just let me know whenever you're up for a game.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I'm receiving it next week. By the way is the blood mage a viable first hero? I think he's cool and have been trying it out on a pirate server.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
This is Warcraft 3. Cookie cutter only. If you are Human you go Archmage -> Mountain King -> Naga Witch Queen. No exceptions. If you are Night Elf you go Demon Hunter -> Panda, no exceptions. If you are Undead you go Death knight -> Lich -> Panda (if you are fighting against Human) else Naga Witch Queen, no exceptions. If you are Orc you go Blademaster, no exeptions. Blizzard's famous balancing skills has made the game so balanced there is a best way to play it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I still play sometimes with Nedrah and against some random people in 1v1 games. It's fun, and I begin to become pretty good with both humans and undead. I'd be up for a play when I have time, which is basically on the weekends, plenty of time there. I'm JarlFrank in battle.net, just like here on the codex.

ushdugery

Scholar
the only thing that really annoys me about dota is the profuse amount of tools on battlenet are somehow intesified when it comes to dota.

Micmu

Magister
For something completely different (non-RTS), try tower defense maps. Some are quite (crazy) fun and challenging. Never tried them in multiplayer, though.
Try Gate Keepers 3.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
kingcomrade said:
This is Warcraft 3. Cookie cutter only. If you are Human you go Archmage -> Mountain King -> Naga Witch Queen. No exceptions. If you are Night Elf you go Demon Hunter -> Panda, no exceptions. If you are Undead you go Death knight -> Lich -> Panda (if you are fighting against Human) else Naga Witch Queen, no exceptions. If you are Orc you go Blademaster, no exeptions. Blizzard's famous balancing skills has made the game so balanced there is a best way to play it.

If you're orc, pick up undead ranger.

Tauren Chieftain sucks so bad. And yet Tauren/Spirit Walker synergies to good, why the fuck can't the hero do anything cool? Resurrection is the most bullshit skill ever made, if your hero is dead that means that you suck, and a hero ressurection gives them an extra 5 seconds to surround his grave and rape him when he comes back alive.

Nedrah

Erudite
Actually, there are a lot of very varied tactics one can play on a low to mid-skill level. Decidedly non cookie-cutter stuff, really powerfull against average players. It's only on the very advanced levels of play that you have to go with what appears to be most efficient, and even then tactics can change a lot over the course of a few months without any apparent changes to the game itself. The reason most people play the same stuff over and over is: They see pros own good players with a strat, assume the strat must be really good (and perfectly viable to pull off for average Joe) and try to emulate it. Since that means they have no idea why strat x is better than strat y really, their skill comes from repitition rather than from understanding, which means it's usually pretty easy to beat those guys just by throwing them off their pre-set gameplan a bit.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I play, but not often these days.

WC3:TFT is a lot of fun if you play 2x2, but 1x1 can be kinda meh.
Well in terms of race balance the game is very well developed, so don't listen to KC. Hero selection can get a bit repetitive, sure, though i woulnd't paint it as black&white as KC did. There are nice variations here and there, depending on your strats. I'm more interested in race balance anyway. Balancing all the copious heroes in the game is way too hard, can't see how any game developer can do that effectively, without messing up overall balance in the process.

Anyhow, I'm ready to play if anyone else's up for that.

Better hook up on #fallout (irc.gamesurge.net).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom