Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Warhammer 40,000 Lore Thread

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
So for shits and gigles i removed the black library from an inventory.

Are they serious bro? I guess in the grim darkness of the universe there is only greed i can't believe they produced so much shit. I was looking at the horus heresy series and i stumbled on this pic displaying the supposed reading order:

6rgv2w1f1p171.png

WTF is this. I'm getting cross eyed just by looking at it.

I like the setting but come on this is a bit much don't they think? This is like romance novels for nerds at this point.

I dread to even look at the star wars library.
This is why people should just read the WH40k wikis and save yourself a ton of time and lots of money.
Here's a more up to date reading order supported with arguments:

https://www.heresyomnibus.com/
Ugh.

See the problem with these lists is that it ignores that any individual book has self-enclosed quality, that is separate from its "omnibus" or even its own duology/trilogy/etc.

For example if I recommended watching the Godfather Series.. I wouldn't include the fourth movie.

And in my memory I will always remember specific products with more sentiment. For example, thinking about the Star Wars OT always drives me towards Empire Strikes Back.

At the very end, it's the current experience that matters. (Which is why I don't think anything can "ruin" Star Wars)

So instead I can provide a list of recommendations based on how much I liked the book in itself (in release order):
  • Horus Rising
  • False Gods
  • Galaxy in Flames
  • Fulgrim
  • Mechanicum
  • A Thousand Sons
  • The First Heretic
  • Prospero Burns
  • Know No Fear
  • Fear To Tread
  • Angel Exterminatus
  • Betrayer
  • Scars
  • Master of Mankind
^This list includes only 14 out of the 54 books. 26%. You should NOT be reading the 74% group.

(edit: Protect yourself from business strategies such as "brand loyalty")

Secondary Recommendations:
  • Flight of the Eisenstein
  • Legion
  • Unremembered Empire
  • Vengeful Spirit
  • Echoes of Eternity

Primarchs Series has a few good hits but I haven't explored it particularly. Very very good Konrad Cuzre book though, probably his best character study.

Also there are a lot of good short stories that I may try to drag out of my memory later.

Seventh Serpent for one, IIRC.

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
When it comes to the Primarchs I would recommend the Sanguinius and Alpharius ones. If you're interested in the khan, Mortarion, Lion or Angron theirs are good too. I haven't read the Curze one yet, but stay away from the Guilliman, Ferrus, Corax, Vulkan and Dorn books.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I read - listened to - Da Big Dakka, which was alroight for a story about Orks. Turns out love CAN bloom on the battlefield, even amongst Dark Eldar.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Which force is the most powerful? Noob here

- Chaos Gods
- the C'tan (I know they are the oldest)
- Old Ones (don't exist anymore?)
- The Great Devourer (Tyranids must have some ultimate 'brain' outside of the Galaxy)
- The Emperor

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Chaos gods without a doubt. The emperor is comparable to maybe 1 but not all 4.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
The necrons could subjugate the C'tan. That puts them below a chaos god.

The old ones were essentially deleted so that also puts them below a chaos god.

The Tyranid hive mind is the wildcard but we have virtually nothing on it as a whole. It's so undeveloped as a being we can't really rate it.

The emperor is a known quantity. If the emperor could have defeated the gods outright he would have already done so but he was unable too. He had to figure out ways to weaken them like the Imperial Truth etc. That's why he spent so much time trying to find ways to subvert the warp and their sources of power.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Chaosfag detected.
Hey man, I'm actually a nid fan myself.

A Chaos god can make new realities, casually hand out immortality, and troll the fuck out of anyone who disagrees. I just don't see anything truly rivaling a Chaos god in the current edition.

Caim

Arcane

- Chaos Gods
- The Great Devourer (Tyranids must have some ultimate 'brain' outside of the Galaxy)
- The Emperor
EmperorGreat DevourerOld OnesC'Tan
Chaos GodsOutnumbering 4:1 gives the Chaos Gods an edge, the Emperor can hold them off at best. They've been trying to recruit him as another Chaos God, but no success so far. Draw.The Great Devourer can block out the Warp through sheer volume of presence. Enough Tyranids in the galaxy can permanently block them from their food source and starve them to death. Great Devourer.Old Ones are Warp entities from a time the Warp wasn't ultra-hell. I can see them being overpowered through the sheer malevolent presence of Chaos. Chaos.The Chaos Gods cannot get a grip on the C'tan, but their minions could theoretically destroy them and their servants. Chaos.
C'tanThe Emperor made the mightiest of them his bitch. Maybe if they dogpiled him, but it's still a stretch. Emperor.The Shadow in the Warp has no effect on the C'tan and cannot be eaten by them, while the C'tan can live on solar energy, which is pretty much the only thing the Tyranids don't eat. Draw.Old Ones got their fucking cheeks clapped by the C'tan once they got corporeal forms. C'tan.X
Old OnesThe Old Ones were even more psychically potent than the Emperor, and they have the advantage of numbers. Old Ones.If the Tyranids are natural beings the Old Ones would just let them feed, then repopulate the galaxy once they've moved on. If the Shadow in the Warp affects the Old Ones the Great Devourer wins, if not the Old Ones would win. Inconclusive.XX
Great DevourerA single Hive Fleet would pose little threat to the Emperor going all-out, but it again relies on how the Shadow in the Warp affects him. Inconclusive.XXX

So we have:

Chaos: 2
C'tan: 1
Old Ones: 1
Emperor: 1
Great Devourer: 1
Draw/Inconclusive: 4

So we don't really have definitive answers.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

- Chaos Gods
- The Emperor
Are the old ones even a thing and not some lore of old ?

Also the orks deserve a mention, not for being the biggest threat, but because they simply are everywhere and do as they please and like the green pest they are they will never be exterminated.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

- Chaos Gods
- The Emperor
EmperorGreat DevourerOld OnesC'Tan
Chaos GodsOutnumbering 4:1 gives the Chaos Gods an edge, the Emperor can hold them off at best. They've been trying to recruit him as another Chaos God, but no success so far. Draw.The Great Devourer can block out the Warp through sheer volume of presence. Enough Tyranids in the galaxy can permanently block them from their food source and starve them to death. Great Devourer.Old Ones are Warp entities from a time the Warp wasn't ultra-hell. I can see them being overpowered through the sheer malevolent presence of Chaos. Chaos.The Chaos Gods cannot get a grip on the C'tan, but their minions could theoretically destroy them and their servants. Chaos.
C'tanThe Emperor made the mightiest of them his bitch. Maybe if they dogpiled him, but it's still a stretch. Emperor.The Shadow in the Warp has no effect on the C'tan and cannot be eaten by them, while the C'tan can live on solar energy, which is pretty much the only thing the Tyranids don't eat. Draw.Old Ones got their fucking cheeks clapped by the C'tan once they got corporeal forms. C'tan.X
Old OnesThe Old Ones were even more psychically potent than the Emperor, and they have the advantage of numbers. Old Ones.If the Tyranids are natural beings the Old Ones would just let them feed, then repopulate the galaxy once they've moved on. If the Shadow in the Warp affects the Old Ones the Great Devourer wins, if not the Old Ones would win. Inconclusive.XX
Great DevourerA single Hive Fleet would pose little threat to the Emperor going all-out, but it again relies on how the Shadow in the Warp affects him. Inconclusive.XXX

So we have:

Chaos: 2
C'tan: 1
Old Ones: 1
Emperor: 1
Great Devourer: 1
Draw/Inconclusive: 4

So we don't really have definitive answers.

You are a G

Also love your reasoning for The Great Devourer vs Chaos Gods. And it makes sense.

Last edited:

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
I still want Belisarius Cawl to finally get the approval from Captain Blueberry to start using traitor legion gene seed in normal and primaris astartes. It's going to be very exciting.

Shig

Novice
I still want Belisarius Cawl to finally get the approval from Captain Blueberry
Cawl won't ever get anything beyond tacit approval from anyone. As much of a genius as he is, he is also batshit crazy. Big Blue is weirded out enough by his "Inferior," I highly doubt he's going to up and let ol' Beli do more wild shit.

The Lion might have more tolerance for him, but only because Dad let him have the fun toys.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane

- Chaos Gods
- The Emperor
E510433961E6641F54DD2EA8A8E68F0C057A496D

main-qimg-0830d6d09b2b6b4175575e483b19f9c4

Last edited:

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
It's all about the power of self-belief. If Orks believed in themselves, they could stomp anything. They await the Kwisorkz-Dakkarach, who will teach them the weirdboy way. Some believe he is already here. The 'voice from the outer waaaagh' will lead them on a gee-had, dakka will spread across the stars, and everyone will get stomped. They say Gork created Octarius to train the most brutal and cunnin.

Gork mit Uns.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I still want Belisarius Cawl to finally get the approval from Captain Blueberry
Cawl won't ever get anything beyond tacit approval from anyone. As much of a genius as he is, he is also batshit crazy. Big Blue is weirded out enough by his "Inferior," I highly doubt he's going to up and let ol' Beli do more wild shit.

The Lion might have more tolerance for him, but only because Dad let him have the fun toys.
The stuff he doesn't think Guilliman will allow... Cawl will create in secret. And he has done way, way, way, more than Inferior. Most of all, every time Cawl is accused of something, he always finds a way to not just defend himself but prove his way is correct.

And he does.

Especially when people tell him not to do it.

Because Cawl can do everything.

In fact he doesn't even remember what he's done. Apparently in the past 10k years he's had his memory wiped twice according to others, accidentally bricked himself who knows how many timesetc. From meatbag to Prime Conduit

Do check him out in Wolfsbane (Horus Heresy).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
The emperor is a known quantity. If the emperor could have defeated the gods outright he would have already done so but he was unable too. He had to figure out ways to weaken them like the Imperial Truth etc. That's why he spent so much time trying to find ways to subvert the warp and their sources of power.
The Emprah gains power from the faith of humans. Humanity gave him a Phoenix Down against Horus.

The Imperial Truth actually HURT the Emperor.

Edit: To note - Corax has new warp powers that let him take on Daemon Prince Lorgar.. and Lorgar says he does not see a Daemon.

Also ze Beati. Celestine. Hope and preayers.

Edit 2: Yet none can be as pure faith as Ork

Shig

Novice
Wolfsbane (Horus Heresy).
A great book. Haley isn't in my top three, but he seems to be the only person that does anything nifty with Cawl.

I actually think Cawl, like Elf Fucker and Lionel, have a great handle on what the Imperium was supposed to be. I know Imperium larpers like to do the whole shindig and pretend like it's all good, but the Imperium is a fucking toilet bowl. Cawl has time and time again, proven that he is obviously a "heretek", but that the word means fucking nothing. He always seems to make the right call (though he treads the line between righteous and fucking batshit pretty regularly, especially now). I hope with this Vashtorr teasing that they're doing that Cawl gets to go toe-to-toe with him, there is no better force in the galaxy to do so.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The Tyranid hive mind is the wildcard but we have virtually nothing on it as a whole. It's so undeveloped as a being we can't really rate it.
Also the fact one of the main hives was defeated already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom