Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Warhammer 40,000 Lore Thread

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
So I heard there's actual official confirmation that the Emprah is a god now?

I wonder how the 40K athiest "fans" are coping with this?
Yes and no.
So what are they going to do?

It's hilarious because Warhammer 40K went from muh edgy atheism Chaotic magick into hopium Holy angels and spirits.
No, I mean there is no confirmation either way. As always, the Emprah denies being a god despite admitting having godlike powers (or philosophizes on "what is a god anyway?"). The ending of End and Death hints at the future being grimdark and atheist, and then some saint comes in and hints at faith having psychic power of some sort that literally could revive the Emprah against all atheist science. So 40k as always.

Anyway, after the Emprah dies, nobody is there to deny, so he ends up worshiped. So 40k as always.

Chaos of course accuses the Emprah of trying to attain godhood. So 40k as always.

40k has awlays been about hopium angels and spirits, except we're talking about such angels and spirits being bloodthirsty witch hunters who go as far as blowing up planets, because the setting truly justifies such things as moral or at least necessary.

It's the delight of absurdity.

So 40k as always.

REhorror

Educated
So I heard there's actual official confirmation that the Emprah is a god now?

I wonder how the 40K athiest "fans" are coping with this?
Yes and no.
So what are they going to do?

It's hilarious because Warhammer 40K went from muh edgy atheism Chaotic magick into hopium Holy angels and spirits.
No, I mean there is no confirmation either way. As always, the Emprah denies being a god despite admitting having godlike powers (or philosophizes on "what is a god anyway?"). The ending of End and Death hints at the future being grimdark and atheist, and then some saint comes in and hints at faith having psychic power of some sort that literally could revive the Emprah against all atheist science. So 40k as always.

Anyway, after the Emprah dies, nobody is there to deny, so he ends up worshiped. So 40k as always.

Chaos of course accuses the Emprah of trying to attain godhood. So 40k as always.

40k has awlays been about hopium angels and spirits, except we're talking about such angels and spirits being bloodthirsty witch hunters who go as far as blowing up planets, because the setting truly justifies such things as moral or at least necessary.

It's the delight of absurdity.

So 40k as always.
I remember Rogue Trader discussions where it's all Imperium bad and shit, and the Emprah being dead or whatever, luckily GW has moved away from that dumb shit, and we have straight out good/Order side gods protecting the humies now.

Not sure if this is positive development will end up good in the long term for a grimdark setting tho, but I'm glad the atheists are pissed.

REhorror

Educated
Ah, OK, this was my experiencing with some of the "fans" during Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader release.

REhorror

Educated
Ah, OK, this was my experiencing with some of the "fans" during Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader release.
They might've been larping XD Neckbeards XD
I come from an atheist country (Vietnam), and the amount of mental gymnastics involved with these atheists admitting that the Emprah is a god is exhausting.

And I bet they are all ex-christians too, you are either the Abrahamic god or you are not a god to them.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
It makes perfect sense, the imperial truth of logic and science demanded that an experiment be conducted, the experiment was a success, emprah is now a god

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I come from an atheist country (Vietnam), and the amount of mental gymnastics involved with these atheists admitting that the Emprah is a god is exhausting.

And I bet they are all ex-christians too, you are either the Abrahamic god or you are not a god to them.
That's hilarious. The Emprah actually wanted atheism because superstition in 40k is literally real and not a joke. The influence of Chaos is almost Lovecraftian - if you're exposed at all, you're fucked. We actually don't even know what the Emprah thinks about himself - he knew he had "godlike" powers... but I have no idea if he denied his divinity or was way too over-semantic. Let's not forget - his greatest triumphs come from his skill in genetic engineering and his talent at thievery.

But, really, He simply wanted people not to get fucked over. Whether people were to worship him or not... It was all about pragmatics with Him. Appropriate because He is still the governor of an civilization and as a corollary pragmatism is a moral responsibility.

Then he gets half-dead, the Imperium goes from trying to be atheist to worshiping the "God-Emperor"... And he literally has had psychic influence from his dead-ass state every now and then.

Then again, if the Emprah is 100% focused on pragmatism, where is the transcendence?

Well, he cut away his compassion to kill his kid 11000 years ago.

The whole point is you don't fucking know. The only thing you know are "your dudes." It's larping meta. Treating 40k seriously is like taking a good joke seriously.

See, that's when the "40k fan" has the chance to be entertained by all the factions, for whatever flaws or virtues they have. So you get to man-childishly enjoy the setting.

And note that we (we?) all still say "the Emprah" sincerely and with respect. It's like... we respect the Emprah for his staunch morality. We respect Chaos for being chaotically chaotic-evil. We respect Orks for being hilarious. We are fucking scared of Tyranids - imagine getting zerg-rushed by Hydralisks.

That the Imperium is "evil" means the people you talk to are retarded. I mean, 40k is the chance to actually enjoy clownworld. It's like lucid escapism.

Why?

Why would you study LSD seriously instead of just taking it? Just take the LSD man.

Just take it.

REhorror

Educated

That's hilarious. The Emprah actually wanted atheism because superstition in 40k is literally real and not a joke. The influence of Chaos is almost Lovecraftian - if you're exposed at all, you're fucked. We actually don't even know what the Emprah thinks about himself - he knew he had "godlike" powers... but I have no idea if he denied his divinity or was way too over-semantic. Let's not forget - his greatest triumphs come from his skill in genetic engineering and his talent at thievery.

But, really, He simply wanted people not to get fucked over. Whether people were to worship him or not... It was all about pragmatics with Him. Appropriate because He is still the governor of an civilization and as a corollary pragmatism is a moral responsibility.

Then he gets half-dead, the Imperium goes from trying to be atheist to worshiping the "God-Emperor"... And he literally has had psychic influence from his dead-ass state every now and then.

Then again, if the Emprah is 100% focused on pragmatism, where is the transcendence?

Well, he cut away his compassion to kill his kid 11000 years ago.

The whole point is you don't fucking know. The only thing you know are "your dudes." It's larping meta. Treating 40k seriously is like taking a good joke seriously.

See, that's when the "40k fan" has the chance to be entertained by all the factions, for whatever flaws or virtues they have. So you get to man-childishly enjoy the setting.

And note that we (we?) all still say "the Emprah" sincerely and with respect. It's like... we respect the Emprah for his staunch morality. We respect Chaos for being chaotically chaotic-evil. We respect Orks for being hilarious. We are fucking scared of Tyranids - imagine getting zerg-rushed by Hydralisks.

That the Imperium is "evil" means the people you talk to are retarded. I mean, 40k is the chance to actually enjoy clownworld. It's like lucid escapism.

Why?

Why would you study LSD seriously instead of just taking it? Just take the LSD man.

Just take it.
As said, these ex-christians take the whole Emprah edgy atheism too seriously.

This is why I actively hate western atheists, they are not atheism, they are militant anti-theism and want to destroy any sort of god, unless it's those Satanic wiccan things (the Chaos "gods").

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
While we cant know that he didnt kill two sons before Horus, we do know that all records were scrubbed. His compassion might have already been tested long before the little shit decided to bring home his violent new friends to trash his home after his other idiot son ruined his latest hobby project with a completely unnecessary phonecall. Ungrateful little shits of a neglectful dad who didnt properly prepare them before sending them out for milk

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Mechanicum
Priests of Mars
Lords of Mars
Gods of Mars

The only thing McNeill can't write is loyalist Space Marines.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
While we cant know that he didnt kill two sons before Horus, we do know that all records were scrubbed. His compassion might have already been tested long before the little shit decided to bring home his violent new friends to trash his home after his other idiot son ruined his latest hobby project with a completely unnecessary phonecall. Ungrateful little shits of a neglectful dad who didnt properly prepare them before sending them out for milk
He is literally the worst father ever.
Some of his sons were WAY better fathers and father figures than him - Sanguinius, Vulkan, Roboute (when he stops being a cold, all professional like dude for even a second), Magnus (before he became the supremely arrogant, know it all douchebag extraordinaire Daemon Prince of Tzeentch).

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Some of his sons were WAY better fathers and father figures than him - Sanguinius, Vulkan, Roboute (when he stops being a cold, all professional like dude for even a second), Magnus (before he became the supremely arrogant, know it all douchebag extraordinaire Daemon Prince of Tzeentch).
Funny thing is, that fucking tard Magnus would have been the supremely arrogant, know if all douchebag extraordinaire of Terra. Fucking Magnus

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Funny thing is, that fucking tard Magnus would have been the supremely arrogant, know if all douchebag extraordinaire of Terra. Fucking Magnus
Crazy how much daddy issues some of the Primarchs had.
Personally, I always thought that many of the Primarchs (especially the likes of Horus and Angron) felt betrayed by the Emperor and Humanity. This is especially true for Horus, who felt he was fighting and conquering the whole galaxy for an ungrateful humanity who never made the sacrifices he and his legion have...
Other Primarchs were incredibly well adjusted and mature - again Sanguinius, Roboute, Vulkan.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
He was never a father - he viewed his creations as tools to win the battle against chaos. The emperor was building the webway project for that very reason. He understood that he was essentially on a timer to win after stealing whatever fire he stole from them to begin the primarch project.

I could also argue his sons were bigger failures than he - in particular Konrad Kurze and Angron who were sick fucks.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I could also argue his sons were bigger failures than he - in particular Konrad Kurze and Angron who were sick fucks.
Keep in mind that many of the Primarchs were exposed to less than ideal worlds and situations when they got stolen from the Emperor. Angron was lobotomized and turned into a rage fuelled murder machine while Kurze landed in one of the most fucked up and deeply sick societies of the Imperium, the planet Nostramo.
The Lion also had a rough time on Caliban, having been tempted by Chaos and fighting Chaos beasts since he was a wee lad, but he was steadfastly loyal and turned out to be major asset to the Imperium. He also woke up from his slumber and is currently doing his best to salvage things over in Imperium Nihilus with Dante&Co.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Keep in mind that many of the Primarchs were exposed to less than ideal worlds and situations when they got stolen from the Emperor. Angron was lobotomized and turned into a rage fuelled murder machine while Kurze landed in one of the most fucked up and deeply sick societies of the Imperium, the planet Nostramo.
The Lion also had a rough time on Caliban, having been tempted by Chaos and fighting Chaos beasts since he was a wee lad, but he was steadfastly loyal and turned out to be major asset to the Imperium. He also got resurrected and is currently doing his best to salvage things over in Imperium Nihilus with Dante&Co.
Damn you Lorgar!

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The Lion also had a rough time on Caliban, having been tempted by Chaos and fighting Chaos beasts since he was a wee lad, but he was steadfastly loyal and turned out to be major asset to the Imperium. He also got resurrected and is currently doing his best to salvage things over in Imperium Nihilus with Dante&Co.
Damn you Lorgar!
Damn you ADB for writing that atrocious part in "The First Heretic" where the Emperor humiliates Lorgar and his entire Legion and practically begs him to turn to Chaos...
What the fuck...

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Reminder that Lorgar was one of the most compassionate and devoted Primarchs before his Fall...
His humanitarianism was on par with the likes of Sanguinius, Vulkan and Magnus.
Was diplomatic and preferred to conquer through words. Seriously, he instilled a sense of fanatical devotion in those he conquered to become fervently loyal to Big E and the Imperium. He did not butcher worlds for the lulz (hello Curze, Angron, Mortarion, Perturabo).
However, his major flaw was his unwilingness and inability to renege his faith in the Emperor as a deity. Big E did warn him numerous times to cease all worship of Him and to build monuments dedicated to Him.
Guess Lorgar should've listened, huh?

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Damn you ADB for writing that atrocious part in "The First Heretic" where the Emperor humiliates Lorgar and his entire Legion and practically begs him to turn to Chaos...
What the fuck...
TBF Lorgar had been warned like multiple times that his method of compliance was unacceptable and Lorgar in his great autism believed it to be a test of faith from BigE.

Blame Erebus then blame Lorgar's autism.

lightbane

Arcane
e understood that he was essentially on a timer to win after stealing whatever fire he stole from them to begin the primarch project.
I never liked that plot-twist that Emprah stole from/made a pact with the Big 4 to make the Primarchs, as not only it rigs the game from the start, it makes him look stupid. Granted, that seems to be the point of the HH series...

ngron was lobotomized and turned into a rage fuelled murder machine while Kurze landed in one of the most fucked up and deeply sick societies of the Imperium, the planet Nostramo.
The Emprah should have installed a kill-switch on each of his primarchs, clearly.
Kurze was also half-insane from the start, I dunno if he wouldn't have self-destructed anyway at some point.
Angron is a big angry dumb brute, his name says it all.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Really, I think a thing to be considered about the Emperor is that in some ways he's the human equivalent of an Old One. In many ways really. We take away that humanity aspect of him and what do we have? A psyker beyond our comprehension who's a master of both the material and immaterium, who's so knowledgeable etc. that he creates psychic tools and weapons to fight against numerous enemies (Primarchs, Custodians, etc.) in the same way that the Old Ones did (Eldar, their "gods", the Krorks, etc.) when they warred against the necrons.

He also has the same ego issues and other personality flaws as the Old Ones as far as we can see, after all it was their stupid shit that turned the Warp into the shithole realm it is now. He knows how dangerous and ultimately unstable the warp is, and what does he do? The same fucking thing by making living weapons with a portion of them permanently tuned to the warp.

Personally, there's a ton of aspects that I like about the Horus Heresy, pretty much by showing exactly how fucked the Primarch project was from the very get go, because it shows the Emperor has a complete lack of foresight. Also like how Drach'nyen is a reflection in many ways of humanity, being the echo of the First Murder and has now morphed into humanity's own tendency towards self-defeat as the End of Empires.

But the biggest issue I have is any time the Emperor is shown really. There's a part of me that dislikes all this expansion of the Horus Heresy and the return of the Primarchs because it takes all this stuff from legend and makes it real. And I kind of prefer to keep it as a legend. That plus inconsistent writing in general. Makes me not get involved in a lot of the stuff.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
What the fuck...
TBF Lorgar had been warned like multiple times that his method of compliance was unacceptable and Lorgar in his great autism believed it to be a test of faith from BigE.

Blame Erebus then blame Lorgar's autism.
Actually, what happened was that Lorgar always needs something to worship. He worshiped the Emperor all his life and at this "breaking point" he found out his whole faith was wrong. He found out that the God-Emperor he worshiped was a lie. And so Lorgar, in his worship-ful-ness, had to find something new to worship. Something "true."

A huge load of that religion-heel-turn came from Kor-Phaeron's whispers of course, right after Monarchia.

In fact Lorgar doesn't follow Chaos out of personal interest but rather the fact that they are the most God-like/Divine entities he could find. That they are evil in fact doesn't matter to Lorgar because what matters for him is the "Truth." It's in fact why Lorgar is militant - to spread his religious Truth is a moral duty, no matter what the Truth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom