Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer: Vermintide 2

Reever

Scholar
Patron
You're not going to find decent players at recruit difficulty. Once you move on to higher difficulties pugs, for the most part, get better too. You still need to hold your own and a lot of times carry the whole team but it does feel nice to progress through the difficulties since you do feel like you're improving.
I'm not a pro but if you have problems with specific parts of the game, ask and I may be able to help. Once you have a good grasp of some basic skills (horde control, dealing with specials asap and such) you really shouldn't have problems until Legend imo.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
A tip I found is the loot from the boxes is based on your currently equipped item level average, so while clearing out recruit levels you probably want to slap on any old junk and open them one at a time, recycling the unwanted duplicate and lower level kit and crafting up the lowest item level equipped, do this for all 5 goons until hero power >100/all recruit boxes used up then continue up to 300 item level

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
That's one of the design decisions that makes Fatshark such a great and respected studio.
That, and the recolored cosmetics.

I got the base game for like $5 or $6 awhile back. Maybe I suck at the game extremely hard, but it took me at least 7 or 8 attempts to beat normal mode skittergate using an Ironbreaker which was one of the few classes I could actually use without getting deleted easily. If I was that bad at normal, I didn't see much of a point in playing anything higher, so I didn't. Called the game once and done after clearing it once on normal. Most of the randos I teamed with were as bad, or worse at the game than me, which didn't give me much faith in multiplayer. I wasn't about to let a higher level player carry me, I'd rather take my repeated ass beatings, or simply stop playing the game at all.

Skittergate is actually one of the easier levels at higher difficulties, it just gets tedious if you don't have a strong boss killing class since they get HP spongey. But at lower levels balance gets really weird. Some classes practically demand being level 20 to 30 to make a "good" build while others are fine anywhere as soon as they get their level 5 HP leech skills.

Some tips:

- Ironbreaker is kind of considered a noob attracting class because it can be really tanky, which I guess is what you are going for. But the best way to win is to kill things quickly, and the best way to defend is to (in order) keep them hit stunned, dodge well, push hordes once in a while, and only rarely block. I'd recommend spending some time trying to play a more dodge-focused class (elf or saltz), and if you stay dwarf pick an offensive weapon rather than defensive. Worst thing you can do for your team is to just spend all your time staying alive with a shield build. Best dwarf melee weapon IMO is coghammer (DLC), 2H and 1H Axe. Though dual hammers (DLC) are also incredible at non-armored enemies and a good weapon if you either have a ranged weapon for armored enemies or can rely on your team, and the other hammers are similar to the axe counterparts but a bit slower in exchange for more cleave and hit stun. Also note that weapons do have some hidden stats, one of which is how far they dodge and how much they can dodge in a row.

- By default jump/dodge is bound to space. This is retarded. Bind jump only to space and dodge only to alt. Makes dodging infinitely easier and more convenient.

- As soon as your item level gets to the point where weapons start having traits, roll for swift slaying on your melee weapon and +5% crit chance on your melee and trinket. This makes every class significantly better.

Yeah, it's been over a year since I played it, and randos got a vote of no-confidence from me. Even getting just 1 player of comparable level and equipment who actually filled the role of picking off the dudes that really needed to be isolated and eliminated immediately would have made it worthwhile to team while I could focus on clapping rat cheeks. I'm unsure which classes were best suited for special threat isolation and elimination, but Ironbreaker wasn't it. Pretty sure that was the ranger/rogue/mage character's job.

Ironbreaker with the rifle should do quite well at that. Have to pay attention to your ammo and not waste shots though. The drake pistols are also fairly competent at the job up to mid range with his damage increase passive for them, and it chews the fuck out of hordes.

Last edited:
Had some challenges to complete for ironbreaker in chaos wastes, here's the build I used:

https://www.ranalds.gift/heroes/5/212121/5-1-4-6/51-4-5-2/3-2-2/1-5-4/1-2-3

Pistols are mainly for horde clearing with alt fire but also takes out unarmored specials and elites decently with primary. You can cancel the long recovery at high heat with reload to shoot/swap faster, and should do so whenever you hit max heat* since the damage is fairly minimal compared to shooting more quicker.

Axe is a great combo with pistols, dodge range is large which gives you mobility to weave in and out to either shoot from better angles or snipe armored enemies and elites. Just make sure you're going for charged headshot on chaos warriors and armored monsters if possible. Try to melee when you don't need the pistols against common enemies in order to trigger The Rollin Mountain's recharge. You have the longest ult recharge in the game otherwise. Obviously since it's focused on sniping elites, you go for the THP on kill.

Vengeance could be swapped for Gromril Curse if you want to play safer, but obviously I like more offense and it becomes really useful for doing some turbo damage to a chaos warrior patrol or the like. Up to 40% faster attack speed for 10s is great for when its go time. Your base -30% damage reduction combined with -50% from your ult means you're pretty close to indestructible for 10s if you ult in a patrol, becoming a DPS machine (along with Drengbarazi Oath) that will easily regen more HP than you lose as long as you keep up decent dodging. Your ult's power boost will also boost grenade damage, and your grenade damage then boosts your damage further.

Your one weakness is you don't kill armored specials at long range well, mid range you can headshot with pistols somewhat reliably though and unarmored elites take huge damage as long as you can hit them.

Obviously none of my weapon traits applied since I was in chaos wastes but that's what I'd use outside.

*the way heat works is that you'll never overheat from the shot that puts you at max heat, you only overheat if you then acquire more heat in a short timespan after that. It's about 2 seconds long.

Last edited:

vibehunter

Learned
I just got this game and I have a couple questions.

1. What are the things that change most dramatically as you ascend to higher difficulties? Does the AI get smarter? Are there stronger enemies placed at more strategic locations? Stronger hordes as well I'm assuming.

2. What are the fundamentals that are important to master? I guess I don't understand what it means to be "good" at this game. From what I've seen it's all about managing blocks/parries, pushbacks, and resource management.

SumDrunkGuy

1. What are the things that change most dramatically as you ascend to higher difficulties? Does the AI get smarter? Are there stronger enemies placed at more strategic locations? Stronger hordes as well I'm assuming.

2. What are the fundamentals that are important to master? I guess I don't understand what it means to be "good" at this game. From what I've seen it's all about managing blocks/parries, pushbacks, and resource management.
Get a refund b4 it's too late.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane

1. What are the things that change most dramatically as you ascend to higher difficulties? Does the AI get smarter? Are there stronger enemies placed at more strategic locations?
Haha no. It's basically damage/health scaling and enemy quantity. E.g. a chaos patrol might have a single chaos warrior and a few elites on a lower difficulty, all the way up to 5 or more of them and a whole squad of elites, who each have more health and do far more damage. And a horde will go from a few dozen enemies you can one-shot to 100+ with a combination of garbage enemies and armoured ones. Plus extra specials/higher cap on specials. The thing that really changes will be how you have to play. On the lower difficulties you can just mash attack and walk forward, and you can get away with that, since most of the time your attacks will immediately kill them, and taking hits doesn't hurt much. At the highest difficulties, you'll be lucky to survive more than 2 or 3 hits, and powerful attacks from elites will 1-shot you. Dodging, blocking, and pushing to avoid and control enemies becomes essential rather than optional.

Pretty much, that and prioritising things. Once you're past the babby difficulties things can go to shit very quickly and you have to know what takes priority. Do you revive your teammate? Kill that special closing in? Back off to leg it to the exit? Do you use your ult to take a chunk off the monster's health or to thin out the incoming horde? What are you going to do with that bomb? What you do, when you do it, and how you do it will all take time to learn, and will change depending on how you're equipped.

One thing I would say is to avoid playing Ironbreaker too much early on, it'll teach you bad habits. If you get used to that playstyle then carry it over to other classes, you will die horribly.

Reever

Scholar
Patron

Pretty much what Lazing Dirk said. You can't make as many mistakes through a combination of enemies doing a lot of damage and you having fewer resources. Horde control and killing elites as soon as possible is mandatory. Knowing your weapon and what attack to do is also important. The game has hidden tags (I think they show it now when you inspect a weapon in the inventory, but I might be wrong) on certain attacks such as lineman, tank, heavy linesman which help against armored enemies or multiple unarmored ones.

Enemies get more aggressive, they "track" you a bit more (have to dodge later in their attack animation in order for them to miss), more HP and damage obviously. There's more enemies overall. Composition % changes, with more enemies with shields and tougher enemies being more prevalent. Elite enemies spawning in horde attacks only happens frequently on Cataclysm, I think it very rarely happens in legend (before this any elites you see were just standing around before the horde and got roped in, but you'll never see like 12 stormvermin or 6 plague monks all suddenly charge together through the horde to fuck you up). Patrols get vastly bigger, probably a dozen or more chaos warriors or like 30 stormvermin.

Most important thing is to get a good sense of awareness, an intuitive understanding of your "space" and when something is about to flank you (there's an audio cue when something out of vision is about to attack you and if your awareness is good you'll know what direction its from and how to dodge it), along with managing enemies to ensure you can keep space to dodge in. Understanding how to keep enemies stunlocked, how to block at the last moment (really fast weapons can basically keep up their attack tempo until the final 0.2s of enemies attacking), along with how to dodge and what attacks enemies are likely to do based on where you are standing (e.g. chaos warriors are very predictable and you can "bait" certain easily dodgable attacks to basically neuter them whilst you are busy dealing with a horde or other enemies, you save the chaos warriors for last generally). Also obviously what the best places in an area to fight hordes, where specials generally spawn, and your ability to 360 noscope elites/specials like a boss with builds that have sniping ability. Lots of classes also greatly benefit from swapping to their ranged weapon in the middle of melee for various reasons (e.g. with kruber using spear and shield it isn't great at anti-armor but carrying the repeater rifle can easily take care of storm vermin, or kerillian with hagbane using it to stunlock in an AoE in between sniping elites with dual daggers).

Also, quick specials tips:

- For the assassin you can literally just circle strafe as long as your movement isn't slowed. If you want to be more pro, you can turn and try to push to stunlock him mid air. He always kneels down before leaping and this is a great chance to shoot him. Also abuse the easily predictable animations for climbing when he does them.
- For the teleports behind you dude, dodge about 2s after you hear him teleport.
- For the flamer boy its sometimes better to just leave him standing so he kills other rats. Otherwise the easiest way to deal with him if you can't just kill him is to break line of sight, he immediately interrupts shooting and then you move back into sight and can just dance back and forth. Unfortunately Ratling gunner just keeps shooting like an asshole and isn't easily abused.

Ohh, and understand how to solo monsters. Even if you don't have the DPS to kill them just being able to hold their attention safely while the rest of your team deals with hordes is essential at times. Unfortunately the one thing even good random groups in Cata always fuck up is that no one will just let you handle the boss on your own, there's always someone else attacking them and the boss changing aggro is what gets more dangerous (plus it means one less person to take care of the other enemies).

Reever

Scholar
Patron

Also the game is free to keep until Nov 7th on Steam
51c721323944f80146d90a663b51a86353107a0f.png

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/vermintide2giveaway

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Another update, great, can't wait to see what shit they break this time. They only just got it working again. Fully expecting there to be a point where you can fall straight through the map or an objective breaks at random. I really do love the game, it's good fun, and some new content would be great, but holy shit fatshark are absolutely terrible at properly testing updates, and can take literally months to fix it sometimes. But hey maybe we'll get a new hat, so there's that.

Still hasn't fixed cloaking randomly not working and enemies targetting you while are you invisible.

ADL

Prophet
Fantasy L4D with character classes, light build variety and gear progression. Darktide is the 40K equivalent with slightly more ranged combat than Vermintide has.

so, if host gets pissed and alt-f4s everyone is fucked and loses the game in progress. as i predicted, this one lasted shorter than it took me to download it.

so, if host gets pissed and alt-f4s everyone is fucked and loses the game in progress. as i predicted, this one lasted shorter than it took me to download it.
You would prefer not having local servers? Usually people hate the fact that they are forced to play only on servers hosted by the developer. Maps are only like 20 mins anyway, who cares?

Never played it, don't care. It's not big deal, just join another game or host your own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom