Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Was there ever an official explanation for why the player is the only one who can't smoke in Fallout 3/New Vegas?

deuxhero

Arcane
It always seemed odd to me you could collect loads of cigarettes in these games, but could never use them besides vendor trash, but loads of NPCs smoked constantly. Even stranger is that New Vegas lets you harvest and use chewing tobacco to nearly strictly beneficial effect (small addiction chance the only negative). It would be less weird if the effect of a cigarette was purely negative (e.g., -1 HP and -5 AP) like in Deus Ex. Has some developer interview ever explained this? I can only assume it was some foreign rating board saying "It's OK if NPCs smoke, but the adult PC can't" (see "Med-X"), or some moralist foot down from some senior Bethesda person.

It always seemed odd to me you could collect loads of cigarettes in these games, but could never use them besides vendor trash, but loads of NPCs smoked constantly. Even stranger is that New Vegas lets you harvest and use chewing tobacco to nearly strictly beneficial effect (small addiction chance the only negative). It would be less weird if the effect of a cigarette was purely negative (e.g., -1 HP and -5 AP) like in Deus Ex. Has some developer interview ever explained this? I can only assume it was some foreign rating board saying "It's OK if NPCs smoke, but the adult PC can't" (see "Med-X"), or some moralist foot down from some senior Bethesda person.
Considering this is Bethesda, they didn't implement it because they would find a way to cram more bugs into it.

huskarls

Scholar
same reason they renamed morphine to med-x. in fact I can name more games where you can kill children than do drugs (not counting alcohol)

BruceVC

Magister
It is strange but fortunately there is a mod that allows you to smoke and even a chance of nicotine addiction

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/18947/

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dude don't smoke because he chews tobacco direct

Fargus

Arcane
It is strange but fortunately there is a mod that allows you to smoke and even a chance of nicotine addiction

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/18947/

This one for NV is better
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/67205

BrainMuncher

Educated
same reason they renamed morphine to med-x. in fact I can name more games where you can kill children than do drugs (not counting alcohol)
Yes the game was denied ratings classification (essentially banned) in australia for incentivising drug use. So they changed it but for everyone not just australia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom