Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #23: Gameplay Video!

Gozma

Arcane
I don't understand why people are announcing that they are pleased with the combat. It just looks like press button to kill stuff, I don't see anything thoughtful about it. Plus, unlike Wasteland, it looks really fucking slow. I don't see stuff that tells me ALL the combat will be boring and rote but there's no evidence in the video that interesting combat is in the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't understand why people are announcing that they are pleased with the combat. It just looks like press button to kill stuff, I don't see anything thoughtful about it. Plus, unlike Wasteland, it looks really fucking slow. I don't see stuff that tells me ALL the combat will be boring and rote but there's no evidence in the video that interesting combat is in the game.

Looks like Fallout = Codex autojizz

(still need to see some gory death animations, though)

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
have yet to see a chatbot that can even understand pronouns being used to reference the last thing I wrote. So meh until then.

How did it go with pronouns? I have seen the internals of its engine and know it is supposed to handle them.

It also responded to "who are you calling old" with "I'm 18."

The responses are scripted, so they can only be as good as the person writing them and how much time they have to spend. So it would have a topic that is activated, when you use the word 'old' and the scripter would create as many matches and responses under that topic, that occur to him. The power of these programs is they record player sessions, so "who are you calling old" could be found and fixed very easily.

Another thing you have to consider is bots like the one above, are intended to make you believe they are a real person. So they are programmed to talk about a wide range of subjects (hundreds, possibly thousands) and because they can't specialize in any one area, they often fail to be convincing.

On the other hand, if they are designed to perform a specific task, you can make them highly specialized. And if it was a bot in a game, or at a company website and the user starts talking about random subjects, the bot could change the subject back to what is relevant.

hiver

My impressions, in order of presentation:

- Voice acting is unconvincing. Female voice sounds like she is reading and is an example of how voice acting should not be done. Male voice gives orders in a flat, disinterested tone.
I kinda got the impression of "everyday", ordinary people, even if that female voice from AG center could probably do with some additional pass or two.
I have to admit, the more i listen to that crackpot-psycho preacher, the more im finding myself resisting the urge to give one A-men, at the end. :)

As for the Ranger sending you on the mission, it seemed to me like that "Another rosy day of keeping it together... without coffee...", kind of attitude.

- I like the description box, but I don't like mixing hints ('select the object to examine') with descriptions. Hopefully we will be able to toggle the hints on/off.
I think those hints are also tied to perception...

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
It also responded to "who are you calling old" with "I'm 18."

The power of these programs is they record player sessions, so "who are you calling old" could be found and fixed very easily.

Of course I am over selling it. Fixing issues like that may require a deep knowledge of the program. I have played around with it and found it sometimes has a mind of its own, which can be very frustrating.

SkepticsClaw

Potential Fire Hazard
From what was said it definitely looks promising - sneaking, flanking, ambushing, hit chances modified by variables such as enemy speed and size, ability to use certain skills in combat, hex grid. Fucking shitload more interesting already than combat in 99% of today's RPGs.

Of course it could turn out to be bad if they design the encounters poorly, but that remains to be seen. With well-designed content this has a strong potential to be glorious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom