Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #31: OMG DISTRIBUTION DEAL, also new HUD screenshots

Cynic

Arcane
So uh, what was wrong with the old HUD? Why break what wasn't broken? New UI looks substantially worse. I see an NBA shot clock, a stick of ram and fax paper with giant fonts. Great, how cohesive.

If you want to give them some UI advice, show them the picture from below and say, "Put this back, make the HUD elements a bit smaller, find a better font and leave it the alone. Thanks."

eHA5m3P.jpg

This UI right here looks far better than what you have now. I have no idea why it was changed.

hiver

new Ui looks pretty damn good. those small white icons need to be changed to pictures like the one of the weapon and so on but generally its pretty damn good. I would love to play with that setup.

old Ui obviously falls behind in several aspects. It looks more like a mix of three different UIs then a single one for starters.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I like the apparently non-symmetrical clusterfuck that is Fallout's UI. The very fact that I find it pleasing negates the ridiculously rigid rules of aesthetics being lectured to me.
I'm not sure what you are talking about, I took it as an example of how a development team did this well (see all the green lines with UI elements being on the same line that your eye will follow as opposed to red ones) aside of a bit of incongruity at the right side.

I thought you were criticizing it.

All I'm saying is that if the laws of design say something is unattractive, and I find it attractive, then it's not me that's wrong, but at the very least it's the interpretation of those laws that's wrong.

A user named cat

This is by no means polished or scaled perfectly, but this is more along the lines of what I'd like to see.

fDyaGK9.jpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah. Something with that structure is what I'd like to see. I'd swap some things around but that's where the modularity kicks in.

hiver

That should be one of the two or three main default options for the Ui.

That would be the best solution really. They should make a few starting default Ui configurations that would please everyone - and then let each be customizable as usual so far.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Very good, Phantasmal :bro:

Hope they will listen to feedback instead of producing this nonsense. Hearing that they are aiming for this "modularity" stuff for the new torment as well makes me chuckle.

A user named cat

Thanks but I don't think they'll ever see it unless they happen to have lurkers here, or Brother None shows them. I think it'd at least make for a better idea of where to go if they could design something nice between the corner elements to make it connect, since I'm no artist and just stuck a rusted locker in there.

I do like the fonts though they could be even smaller. They're "WST_Engl" in Photoshop, with the height/width modified. Orangish-brown also works better than boring white.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks but I don't think they'll ever see it unless they happen to have lurkers here, or Brother None shows them. I think it'd at least make for a better idea of where to go if they could design something nice between the corner elements to make it connect, since I'm no artist and just stuck a rusted locker in there.

I do like the fonts though they could be even smaller. They're "WST_Engl" in Photoshop, with the height/width modified. Orangish-brown also works better than boring white.

Brother None IS "them".

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I think a "thrown together" art style for the UI is a bad choice. In this respect, the consistency of the old UI in its Fallout-style was better. Even if you go with a minimalistic UI now, it too should be consistent (like in TOEE).

The new map window also looks much, much worse than the old one, even though a square view makes more sense than a round one in the old UI:

9960.jpg

eHA5m3P.jpg

Regarding weapons and the text block, I like both the old AND the new style.

hiver

Phantasmal Ui mockup alike should be one of the three starting defaults. InXile could even call it "Classic" - easily. Which goes with the name given to attributes setup.

Cynic

Arcane
Open the two images in different tabs, the official UI and the Phantasmal version. It's quite clear that his version is just better by far, there really shouldn't be any debate about it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I've investigated the matter, and I don't think inXile is going to change the UI significantly. Sorry Codex, they're pretty dead-set on this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom