Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #34: Gamescom Demo Video, First Dev Diary Released

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Hexes are harder to code
no, they aren't. some stuff dependent on grid layout might(!) be harder to manage properly (like cover system?) but hexes have equally simple math behind them.

Character movement is the easiest part to handle. Everything on the map is dependent on grid layout. A single-cell object should take a "hex" now instead of a square, and it should have 6 neighbors.

I suspect the hex system was working good enough for show, but the scenery wasn't perfectly aligned with the grid, so they dumped it in favor of something simple that doesn't require extra tweaking time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If the husband always comes back with the medicine after talking to the wife, what's stopping a player who's tricked into killing her from simply reloading a save and turning around to greet the husband and give her the medicine?

How is this even a choice?
They said curing her makes the Red Skorpions upset for some reason.

Note sure why people are getting so upset over the hexes-squares change. The Codex's top 3 RPG combat engines are usually JA2, ToEE, and KoTC. None of which have hexes, two of which use squares.

And all of which have diagonal movement. I've read through the big codex threads on the topic, and while there's no consensus over which of the two grids is best, I haven't seen anyone argue in favor of squares without diagonal movement (shihonage's comment about unfair speed boosts is of course easily, but inelegantly, avoided through a 2/3 AP cost for straight/diagonal). If you don't care that much about grids then fine, but it's an objectively shitty grid, and it'd be nice if they'd explain why they had to settle for it. But I'm afraid that they'll just explain the step away from hexes when they get around to it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Note sure why people are getting so upset over the hexes-squares change. The Codex's top 3 RPG combat engines are usually JA2, ToEE, and KoTC. None of which have hexes, two of which use squares.
What a retarded argument. Two of the top three combat engines are based on 3.5 D&D. Let's never bother using a superior rule system.

If the husband always comes back with the medicine after talking to the wife, what's stopping a player who's tricked into killing her from simply reloading a save and turning around to greet the husband and give her the medicine?

I don't know...

What's stopping a player who doesn't have a skill from simply editing his characters? What's the point of skill checks then?

Last edited:

slackerwizrd

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Brilliant logic! I can reload a save; therefore, there's no real choice!

Seriously. Is this really any different from any other game that has a save system? "Oh, I don't like this outcome. I'm going to reload a save." "My companion died! I'll reload" "I used too much ammo! I'll reload."

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Brilliant logic! I can reload a save; therefore, there's no real choice!

Seriously. Is this really any different from any other game that has a save system? "Oh, I don't like this outcome. I'm going to reload a save." "My companion died! I'll reload" "I used too much ammo! I'll reload."
It's only the illusion of choice if there's only one good outcome and the "trap" choice can be negated by going back in time a few seconds. There shouldn't be any trap choices to begin with, though as I said it appears this isn't necessarily one of those.

10nuzgn.jpg

295tjdu.png

almondblight

Arcane
What a retarded argument. Two of the top three combat engines are based on 3.5 D&D. Let's never bother using a superior rule system.

Nice logic there buddy. "Grids" is not a combat system. Look, I know that many on the Codex thinks that theorycrafting = game design, but it's not. There are a number of grid games with a better system than hex games; it's very possible that InExile felt that their grid system was better than their hex system. The addition of hex's doesn't make a system automatically better.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

That's why there were so many posts asking Chaos Chronicles to use Pathfinder, and almost none asking them to skip DnD completely?
Because the OGL was a perfect fit for the kind of game they were making. Game riding on the coattails of ToEE, might as well use the same baseline mechanics.

Also because everyone would rather have the devs implementing a pre-existing system than coming up with their own mechanics that would most likely be worse.

Nice logic there buddy. "Grids" is not a combat system. Look, I know that many on the Codex thinks that theorycrafting = game design, but it's not. There are a number of grid games with a better system than hex games; it's very possible that InExile felt that their grid system was better than their hex system. The addition of hex's doesn't make a system automatically better.
Hex automatically makes it better. Look at D&D with its retarded special rules for diagonals. Look at the previous Wasteland 2 gameplay video combat movement and look at this one. For the player, hexes are the superior choice

Last edited:

almondblight

Arcane
Because the OGL was a perfect fit for the kind of game they were making. Game riding on the coattails of ToEE, might as well use the same baseline mechanics.

I see gears are slowly turning. So it's not "Let's never bother using a superior rule system," as you put it, but rather "let's use this imperfect system unless and until we can create a better system."

Hex automatically makes it better. Look at D&D with its retarded special rules for diagonals. Look at the previous Wasteland 2 gameplay video combat movement and look at this one. For the player, hexes are the superior choice

Hex's automatically make things better, and the makers of the best RPG-combat systems just didn't understand combat as well as you. Sorry, I'm going to have to side with them.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

I see gears are slowly turning. So it's not "Let's never bother using a superior rule system," as you put it, but rather "let's use this imperfect system unless and until we can create a better system."
No, it's more like "you're cloning this game, shamelessly clone the mechanics too, because you know, the license is free"

Hex's automatically make things better, and the makers of the best RPG-combat systems just didn't understand combat as well as you. Sorry, I'm going to have to side with them.
Yes, they certainly never make bad design decisions. Best RPG-combat systems just means it's better than the rest (which doesn't really take much when you take a look at the majority of CRPGs), doesn't mean it's actually good.

Excidium, word through the grapevine has it that they probably nixed hexes because cover would become nigh impossible to implement. Something's telling me that this would be a copout, but that just might be my edginess; do you know of any rpg combat systems with hexes that handle cover elegantly?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't understand why cover is so hard to do with hexes. It doesn't seem hard conceptually to me.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FYI, "word through the grapevine" = Vault Dweller conjecture

imweasel

They probably got rid of hexes because it much easier to line up objects in the enviroment to a square grid (e.g. orthogonally in relation to each other).

Not like it matters anyway, this bitching about the removal of the hex grid is retarded. Diagonal movement is still possible with a square grid.... No idea why it was not possible in the demo though.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Indeed. Sounds like a bullshit excuse to me if it's about the cover system. Specially one so simplistic.

Excidium, word through the grapevine has it that they probably nixed hexes because cover would become nigh impossible to implement. Something's telling me that this would be a copout, but that just might be my edginess; do you know of any rpg combat systems with hexes that handle cover elegantly?
You're asking about code implementations? I can't think of many CRPGs that even have cover systems or hex grids, let alone both. In terms of design there's no difference, shit obstructs line of sight, something happens.

You're asking about code implementations? I can't think of many CRPGs that even have cover systems or hex grids, let alone both. In terms of design there's no difference, shit obstructs line of sight, something happens.

I meant p&p; Gurps maybe?

edit: naha, not totally stupid!

edit: wait, yes, that was a totally stupid question.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

I meant p&p; Gurps maybe?
All p&p games I know, cover either provides hit penalties and/or absorb damage from attacks. But it's p. irrelevant, any issue they had has more to do with technical shit like the placement of objects that provide cover and calculating line of sight with the grid overlay like people suggest than with the mechanical aspect because even more complex systems than what they have have p. simple logic.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Indeed. Sounds like a bullshit excuse to me if it's about the cover system. Specially one so simplistic.

Look at that raiders' camp, for example. Now imagine that the grid is hex-based and imagine enemies taking cover. See the problem yet?

If not:

Everything on the map is dependent on grid layout. A single-cell object should take a "hex" now instead of a square, and it should have 6 neighbors.

I suspect the hex system was working good enough for show, but the scenery wasn't perfectly aligned with the grid, so they dumped it in favor of something simple that doesn't require extra tweaking time.

While some objects would work ok with hexes, most won't. When you're supposed to take cover behind a wall yet standing half a hex away from it because the hex system doesn't allow you to stand next to it, it becomes a visual issue.

kingsbounty02.jpg

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There are numerous solutions to that.

Like just make the characters a little bit smaller than that grid cells, and then props can stick into hexes a little bit with a character in there with them.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

Look at that raiders' camp, for example. Now imagine that the grid is hex-based and imagine enemies taking cover. See the problem yet?

If not:

Everything on the map is dependent on grid layout. A single-cell object should take a "hex" now instead of a square, and it should have 6 neighbors.

While some objects would work ok with hexes, most won't. When you're supposed to take cover behind a wall yet standing half a hex away from it because the hex system doesn't allow you to stand next to it, it becomes a visual issue.

kingsbounty02.jpg
Yes, like I said on the post after that. But wouldn't some visual cue do the job? Isn't that what those "sticky cover" animations are for?

DeepOcean

Arcane
I liked the video, the combat encounter design while being a little too staged is acceptable but nothing mind blowing. The graphics are crap but I'm not a graphics whore so I don't care. The music is awesome and very Fallout like. While the area design is weak with obvious and restrictive paths, but the agricultural center appeared to be a much better area,so I will not judge. If someone showed me a movie of Arroyo and the Temple of Trials, I would think that game was the worst RPG ever. The humour is silly but if it isn't Fallout 3 type of silly, I don't mind. The only thing that really bothered me was the Red Skorpion militia letting 4 heavily armed strangers in their territory with their guns because you paid a gun tax, that doesn't make any sense. You don't let strangers entering your territory with guns if you want to keep control of it, even a gun tax is counterintuitive.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
But wouldn't some visual cue do the job?

Exactly. But I guess that wouldn't satisfy newfags. ZOMG ITS NOT REALISTIC IMMERSION BROKEN SHIT GAEM
Of course, could be that's not the reason they switched.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Chaos Chronicles was handling hexes pretty well, it seems:
CC_grid_2.jpg

Cover seems quite possible here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom