Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #36: Stats, Skills and Screenshots

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Who? The sniper? Wasn't he standing out in the open (instead of joining his comrades after the initial shot)?

Wizfall

Cipher
It looks good but, except for the UI, i was always satisfied by the graphics and never understood the critics about that (i truly think it's, by far, good enough)
UI looks fine now (hard to say if it'll be practical without playing though) even if i'm still not fond of the printer (which is made better anyway).
Not a fan of the moving camera but it was there for the start. The different demos showed me i could have an ok field of view (but clearly not as good as isometric).

Don't know about the skill system, designing no combat skills for a party cRPG is a challenge.
Especially with so many RPC, it must have enough skills in order to still have some choice to be made about characters/party development in order to not be able to do everything IMO (at least until near the end).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Also a thing to keep in mind is that you can off-set the speed penalty a bit by having high coordination which gives you more AP to both move and kill things.

To use a Fallout example, why bother with bonus move when you can use bonus hth/rof with action boy?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also a thing to keep in mind is that you can off-set the speed penalty a bit by having high coordination which gives you more AP to both move and kill things.

To use a Fallout example, why bother with bonus move when you can use bonus hth/rof with action boy?

Well, it all depends on just how significant the Speed bonus is.

In a game with cover mechanics a speedy character can do naughty things like come out of cover, shoot people and duck back into cover. Or, if the maps are large enough to support it, engage in a "fighting retreat" guerilla-like strategy where you shoot and withdraw, shoot and withdraw.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I still want to see how they managed the AP counter and the inventory, but I'm happy with the UI.

And those indoor areas look very good, it really feels like InXiled showed their worst looking area in the previous video...

Mantic

Educated
What Remains, Tangut Prophecy and Underrail still look better :)
2D and 3D graphics both have their pros and cons. In WL2 you will be able to place your rangers on top of objects so they shoot down on enemies below (with a bonus), which isn't possible in 2D.

It is very much possible in 2D, put this in long ago.
How? 2D has no depth, both "stories" would need to be separate maps. Do you mean in a fakey way?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What does it matter if it's "fakey" or not? Is your immersion broken without a Y axis?
Also, wtf.. not possible. Did you play.. any game? How about JA2 for example? Or Fallout: Tactics? Or a thousand others.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
What Remains, Tangut Prophecy and Underrail still look better :)
2D and 3D graphics both have their pros and cons. In WL2 you will be able to place your rangers on top of objects so they shoot down on enemies below (with a bonus), which isn't possible in 2D.

It is very much possible in 2D, put this in long ago.
How? 2D has no depth, both "stories" would need to be separate maps. Do you mean in a fakey way?

There is a Z axis for roofs etc, outlooks, valleys and such have hexes assigned to their area with the modifier script attached.

drae

Augur
Oh, and I think the fax is a pretty clever idea and fits the theme.

It's my favourite part of the UI. Very whimsical.

Phantasmal said:
It will always look better than segmented shit

Segmenting the UI, and showing the jumble of wires connecting everything, gives the impression that things were jury-rigged together using any bits and bobs they could find. Which is both awesome and thematically appropriate.

Castanova

Prophet
reduces length of skill usage progress meters

Is that a euphemism for "cooldowns?" Oh boy.

Also, the fax paper is bad regardless of how it looks because it's way too eye-catching. When I'm looking at the screen, all my eyes want to do is look at the fax paper.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
reduces length of skill usage progress meters

Is that a euphemism for "cooldowns?" Oh boy.

No, cooldowns are an amount of time you have to wait BETWEEN using an ability, not the amount of time it takes TO use it.

COOLDOWNS EVERYWHERE, HAUNTING MY DREAMS. For fuck's sake, people. :lol:

Last edited:

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I, for one, am extremely excited to play this. I don't know if I will play the beta or hold out until full release.

There is a good chance this game will give me an erection lasting longer than 4 hours and I will need to seek medical attention.

hiver

Looks like the screenshot are using the AG center from the first demo. While the game still looked decent.
may very well be that this Avelone-tm area will be the only good one. I hope not of course but... wont be surprised at all if it turns out that way.

I hope for some official Codex beta impressions first before getting hyped. I'm somehow very cautious about this. I hope it won't be another disappointment.

Screens are OK.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well this the good thing about kickstarter projects, bitching can sometimes help in improving the game. The UI looks much better now.

You're welcome, Brian.

Rake

Arcane
Looks like the screenshot are using the AG center from the first demo. While the game still looked decent.
may very well be that this Avelone-tm area will be the only good one. I hope not of course but... wont be surprised at all if it turns out that way.
I honestly expect the God Emperor's area to be the best in the game.
:mca:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Keep in mind that MCA hasn't done much writing for Wasteland 2. It's pure area design.

I don't know that these are screenshots from the Ag Center. Can Brother None confirm?

Ramireza

Savant
This looks great! But i hope they will reduce all this buttons, this looks like Excel. Can i use a Gamepad? This should be possible, even Diablo 3 gets a console port.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
OK, time to dumbfuck Ramireza

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom