Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 to use Unity

EG

Nullified
And . . . that's why on certain portions of their Website, Unity brands itself as perfect for "casual" games. Wouldn't want to scare away the younglings with talk of what it looks like inside, before they download it.

Though . . . I forgot about Panda. Is it glorious or monotonous?

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like Panda. It's great for throwing in together something fast. However, you should do this in Python. Everything is much more cumbersome to do in C++ bindings with Panda, but you get the sweet, sweet typing. You won't get as nice tools as with Unity though, so be prepared to assemble your own toolset.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Now, to address something that koyima said about assets. You are right, people will reuse existing assets because it is cheaper. They will reuse models, effects, animations, AI scripts etc. We see this in the movies, we see it in the games. And you know what - it fucking sucks.

Just because you can doesn't mean you have to. And just because some assets are as common as fuck (I imagine anyone who's seen enough movies can recognize the typical female shriek) doesn't mean that all assets are. If I modelled a good 3d model of something right now I could upload it as an asset and you could use it in your game. Is something conceptually wrong about that?

And . . . that's why on certain portions of their Website, Unity brands itself as perfect for "casual" games. Wouldn't want to scare away the younglings with talk of what it looks like inside, before they download it.

Making yourself accessible seems like a sound option in the days of indie developers actually making money off their games. If everyone and their granny can now make a game that might make them money, shouldn't you pander to them, too?

tiagocc0

Arcane
It's like don't blame the tool because of what users do with it.
Just because Unity has this assets doesn't mean that any great developer will be using it, just developers who are starting and have no resources to commission or do new assets or lazy developers who just want to make money.
Being accessible, 'perfect for casual games' is not just marketing though, it's probably an obvious concern that dictates how Unity is developed and so it mirrors in the tool itself. It's not bad, it just means that they are willing to sacrifice some performance or something like that for ease of use. A great developer could use the performance, not the ease of use. But I don't know Unity, I just know that I don't like them very much. Just like I don't like Java over C++, even though Java is more popular right now or it's easier to use.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And I still say that too much asset reuse sucks. The shriek you are speaking about may be The Wilhelm. It pisses me off to hear it from movie to movie. I mean what the fuck, are you so cheap a bastard you can't record one fucking original scream?

Reuse is less annoying when used for stuff that really is common, e.g. cars. However, it can be still bothersome, because it forces you adopt the art style of the available prefabs. Or you can say fuck it, and just have a giant, incoherent mess of styles in your game, which automatically makes it look like shit.

Alternatively, you could edit up the assets to match your style, but sometimes this may be more work than doing one from scratch. You may also be prevented from doing any changes to the asset due to the licence it has, not to mention potential copyright issues stemming from poorly written license agreements for asset usage (more money to the lawyers, are you happy?).

There is nothing wrong with making money. However, in my personal opinion, it is wrong to encourage people to make mediocre shit and then take a slice of the pay for yourself.

Reuse for placeholder art is fine. Don't you want to have your own awesome art tiagocc0? Also, are you sure that the assets of Tyrian are free to be used in 3rd party projects?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
It's like don't blame the tool because of what users do with it.

... Actually, that's exactly it. Just because I can make shitty games with Flash doesn't mean Flash was wrong to allow me access to developing with it.

Just because Unity has this assets doesn't mean that any great developer will be using it, just developers who are starting and have no resources to commission or do new assets or lazy developers who just want to make money..

I would very much hope this is the case. Gettyimages exists as a resource for stock photos and you might feel inclined to use it for your Cracked article, but is it suitable for your artsy project

Being accessible, 'perfect for casual games' is not just marketing though, it's probably an obvious concern that dictates how Unity is developed and so it mirrors in the tool itself. It's not bad, it just means that they are willing to sacrifice some performance or something like that for ease of use. .

This is a tough one: because, how accessible is it, and how limiting is it to developers who can go further? Should we compare the entry-level Unity SDK with the source code that Fargo has available?

There is nothing wrong with making money. However, in my personal opinion, it is wrong to encourage people to make mediocre shit and then take a slice of the pay for yourself

I totally agree on the following counts: reuse is annoying when it is easily identifiable, when it doesn't make sense in the context.

However, doesn't having a larger pool of assets to draw from actually increase your chances of finding stuff that hasn't been used before and that is closer to your "perfect" vision of what that thing should be?

EDIT: Goddamn editor.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Reuse for placeholder art is fine. Don't you want to have your own awesome art tiagocc0? Also, are you sure that the assets of Tyrian are free to be used in 3rd party projects?

It's placeholder, yes and I want my own but I can't afford it right now.
If at launch time I still wasn't able to change it then I will end up leaving it in the game until I sell enough to change it.

It's free: http://www.lostgarden.com/2007/04/free-game-graphics-tyrian-ships-and.html

This is a tough one: because, how accessible is it, and how limiting is it to developers who can go further? Should we compare the entry-level Unity SDK with the source code that Fargo has available?

Even if the engine is limiting it depends on what must be done.
For developer A who wants a particular game, Unity can be perfect while the Unreal SDK may not.
For developer B the contrary may apply.
For developer C neither Unity nor Unreal is able to do what he wants and so does it himself.

I imagine Unity is very restricted to the common user but since Fargo does have the source code it may not be restrictive at all, the question is how much does Unity will allow Fargo to hack it.
If allowed to hack the source code then the sky is the limit, they can do whatever as long as the source is organized and makes sense, since it's Unity we are talking about I think the source is quite organized and easy to use.

I hope for the best.

tiagocc0, it is awesome that the guy released Tyrian art for free. However, are you sure that he is the actual copyright holder? If he did those sprites as a work-for-hire then his employer might hold the copyright. Or the publisher. So it is possible that he might actually not be at liberty to release it to the public, and anyone who makes money using these assets might get in trouble with some nasty men in suits.

tiagocc0

Arcane
tiagocc0, it is awesome that the guy released Tyrian art for free. However, are you sure that he is the actual copyright holder? If he did those sprites as a work-for-hire then his employer might hold the copyright. Or the publisher. So it is possible that he might actually not be at liberty to release it to the public, and anyone who makes money using these assets might get in trouble with some nasty men in suits.

As long as it's not a clone of one of his games:
http://www.lostgarden.com/2007/03/lost-garden-license.html

EDIT: Or so I hope, if not I will delete the graphics, I will look further into it.

EDIT2: As in the site:
"What game designs and art assets are currently covered under the Lost Garden License?

You can find a complete list here:
Graphics: http://lostgarden.com/labels/free game graphics.html
Game designs: http://lostgarden.com/labels/prototyping challenge.html"

The Tyrian graphics are in the 'Graphics' link above. So it falls in the 'Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License'.
The game itself was released as freeware in 2004 and the source code in 2007 so I don't think they will choose to go against the artist Daniel Cook who released the graphics in this license.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Since it's all programmer art and since everyone here is assholes, I won't bother to post screenshots, but basically (though this was not the original goal) I have ended up remaking Buck Rogers: Countdown to doomsday in 3D with more tactical combat and a different storyline and basic theme. I thought at one point when I released my game people here would give some respect instead of treating me like shit all the time, but of course that was delusional. No matter what I release it will be the same, probably worse.

Hahaha, oh wow.jpg

What a flashback to Cleve's ramblings about his "games", that were so ready to be released. So you remade BR:CtD in 3D, with improved combat and a different storyline and basic theme? In other words, you made a game that has nothing to do with Buck Rogers? And this masterpiece is carefully hidden, only shown to trusted few acolytes?

Yeah, just like Cleve. Oh Drog, BS like this is why no-one gives you respect any more.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Since it's all programmer art and since everyone here is assholes, I won't bother to post screenshots, but basically (though this was not the original goal) I have ended up remaking Buck Rogers: Countdown to doomsday in 3D with more tactical combat and a different storyline and basic theme. I thought at one point when I released my game people here would give some respect instead of treating me like shit all the time, but of course that was delusional. No matter what I release it will be the same, probably worse.

Hahaha, oh wow.jpg

What a flashback to Cleve's ramblings about his "games", that were so ready to be released. So you remade BR:CtD in 3D, with improved combat and a different storyline and basic theme? In other words, you made a game that has nothing to do with Buck Rogers? And this masterpiece is carefully hidden, only shown to trusted few acolytes?

Yeah, just like Cleve. Oh Drog, BS like this is why no-one gives you respect any more.

Clearly he makes game to be played only by himself, in his own mind.

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch

Hahaha, oh wow.jpg

Clearly he makes game to be played only by himself, in his own mind.

those are the easiest to make. but are dangerous to test play. you never want to debug your source code while you are falling asleep. the brain turns your mind into a machine and its painful. but if you do things right, you can rearrange matter very quickly. when its comes to 3D transformations they are much more advanced then even today's desktop computers.

zeitgeist

Magister
Reusing, modifying and/or building upon historically relevant art such as the Tyrian pixel art in question is an entirely different thing to slapping soulless "art" made specifically as stock directly into your shovelware with no artistic goal but simply to maximize your profits.

zeitgeist, true, there is an enormous difference.

Today I went out and checked several sites with free 3D models done in blender. Many of them are much nicer than the stuff that sells in Unity store for 10-100USD.

koyima

Educated
"Damn straight. It wasn't until Unity that any of these slowpokes came along, truly they are the champion of the little people." I have actually reviewed a lot of those engines for commercial use. Most of them have problems, others are even half-finished. Some lack tools and some have ridiculous pipelines.

"Considering that W2 was kickstarted under the assumption that it was targeting devices that feature kb/mouse as standard input, I don't know what you're getting at here. Saying "it has PC and Mac!" isn't a sterling endorsement."

You obviously just looked at my answers, not the questions. Anyway...

"Ahh... the appeal to popularity. Makes sense to get the main theme of your upcoming posts out of the way early I suppose."

Not an appeal to popularity. Again you didn't answer the question. When someone says there are a ton of crappy web-games made with unity, you have to put this into perspective. When over a million have used, it's obvious you will shit. Right?

"I'll admit I can't comment too much here - I make programmer art. But exporting a rigged mesh and material and giving them names has served me well outside Unity, I can't really envision how it could be much more efficient."

Well that's why most artist working with people like you dread implementing assets. Making sure everything goes over smoothly and that your current workflow doesn't need to change is very good for any team. Especially one that needs to implement maybe thousands of assets.

"Ugh, ugh and ugh. I went to the unity home page, support -> documentation -> basics and landed here. You can click any link on the page and not see any code. You know, to make a computer game. When you finally get to the scripting reference, you can see example functions with at most 2 but generally 1 line of code. I've never seen a game engine so concerned about my impending RSI in my life."

It's a scripting reference, it's supposed to show you syntax, requirements etc. It's not there to teach you how to code. You have books and tutorials for that.

"Woo! It took me about 10 hours to get Qt to share a frame buffer with my own game project (yeah, yeah - every career programmer has a game project on the side) and now I can use all of Qt's widgets, theming and animation. I imagine this might also be possible in Unity, but again, isn't it supposed to be saving me from adding some 3rd party 'commercial grade GUI solution'?"

Em, again you didn't read the questions. Somebody said the built-in gui sucks. So mentioning that 3 different teams have already made top notch solutions to that problem, with the addition of scaleform is like saying: yep, a problem that has been solved quad-fold.

"Nuts to that. Aside from the fact that any DX11 features would be missing from Linux, Mac and 58% of PC users, nobody funded W2 for the shinies. NOBODY"

Again you didn't read the questions. Someone argued about graphical features. Although it's obvious to anyone that artists make the graphics, some features are what graphics sluts crave. Just cos your a cheapo gamer doesn't mean everyone is.

"I don't think anyone here is suggesting rolling an engine from scratch. Merely that Unity is inappropriate. W2 is a game crying out for a well modelled back end - following good software engineering principles in a language that encourages them will end up making designing a compelling RPG possible. The 3D / GUI stuff is just the presentation / controller layer, bind them to your great back end and then you have a game. The very fact that Unity has 'an interface' and never once mentions an IDE is why it falls short for this project."

So retarded man. That's exactly what people were sugesting in the pages prior to my involvement. Hence the breakdown-explanation.

"And here you've accidentally stumbled into the heart of the matter. Give 100 people Unity, a day later you have 100 prototypes. Never mind that they're all the same bloody prototype. W2 backers don't want what everyone else is making, and they don't want something plug and play that someone can whip up in a day just with custom art. And in the end, the very features that allow you to have your first-person-walker in a day are what you now have to fight against when you want to make a turn based RPG."

That simply is not true. Go to the Unity website. Count the different genres and gameplay styles. Now go to the CryEngine community and then UDK, guess what 90% FPS. Don't bother going to C4, with 18 games total, you should be happy to see games, not different games.

"Aha, so that's why they chose Unity! It's well known for it's robust quest editor and tools to help balance gameplay and generate items unique to the Wasteland universe. Oh... wait, no..."

No. What I mean is that this is not what you need C++ for (although you can extend Unity with C++ even without source code access). People were saying that you need native code to do the "complex" rpg stuff. That is not were C++ is needed, it's needed when something needs to be more optimized, more efficient, than managed code. So yep: Physics, Rendering etc Unless you are generating "The Matrix" in items, you can work in C# instead.

"That's a lot of words to say "It's popular, it must be good!""

Again when comparing engines in order to make a business decision. Feature lists aren't the only thing in conisderation. Here Drocon says he is making a game, he can list the features and sell it. Would you buy it? Unless you saw reviews, screenshots etc you wouldn't. Well for an engine it's portfolio is : actual completed games, not screenshots and videos.

"Torchlight got thrown down the memory hole?"

So they took Ogre3D and made a game? Yep, that's how it works. You get a graphics engine, throw in the models and there you have it: a bunch of static models with cool effects. What an amazing game... Ogre3D is just a subset of what is need to make a game.

"A truly constructive attitude to take. No, you're not a Unity shill, but any alternative to it is laughable"

Again you ignore the posts I was replying to, constructed your straw man and bashed him down. I say if you have an engine suggestion that better fits the situation let us hear it.

Generally you were the master of "Straw Man Argument". You ignored each and every question prior to my post, constructed your own and refuted your own questions with my answers. Of course since they weren't answers to those questions they give the impression of a "Unity rulez brah", just read the 8 pages preceeding my post BRAH!

Straw man retard!:hearnoevil:

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
I'm more inclined to believe InXile's judgement than some random dudes around here. Aside from that, I want to believe they made the right choice because I want to laugh at all the haters in 1,5 year and not cry for my $$. And maybe enjoy the game 7 times, while I bitch about it.

Also, this Koyima fellow seems to know what he is talking about and he has a portfolio to back it up.

Also he is Greek, honour amongst thieves and stuff. :smug:

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Also, this Koyima fellow seems to know what he is talking about and he has a portfolio to back it up.

Hey Alex, I got a bridge to sell ya! :)

Artists don't know what they are talking about, when it comes to coding games, any more than programmers know about creating good art. And if you believe koyima, apart from being a Unity sales rep, when he is not selling Unity, he makes art.

koyima tries to impress the yokels with Unity's BIG portfolio of plop, plop, games, that anyone can make in lightening time. Buy a couple of $100 plugins and you got a brand new game.

Funny, does anyone care enough to try any of these games?

Its just like people make tons of plop, plop, art at Daz3D, but no one outside of the Daz3D community cares, because it all looks the same. Not so good for the users, but very, very, profitable for Daz3D.

And the Unity marketing guys, are the same people that say, they have 1 Million Users! - which really means, 1 million people downloaded and did not buy.

They won't tell you how many they sold, because then their penis would not look so BIG.

Ask a shareware author what a good conversion rate is. > 2% is considered profitable.

dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

1 Million Users!

Technically, it is not a lie. Teehee!

Also he is Greek, honour amongst thieves and stuff. :smug:

More like honor among sales guys. They are all the same. ;)

If koyima was working for some other company, he would tell you Unity is utter shite and his product is the best in the world.

Sales dudes... lol

I'm more inclined to believe InXile's judgement than some random dudes around here.

This you got right.

Brian Fargo makes games for a living. He has done it since the 1980s. He has helped make some of our favorite games and he has the industry contacts. He has used engines other than Unity in the past and he will use engines other than Unity in the future.

He will make the right choice for his current goals at the time. He said he wanted easy import and easy import is what he bought. Easy import is Unity's unique selling point.

Kaese

Novice
Just to give you guys a glimpse how 'good' Unity works on large scales projects and how 'awesome' those Unity guys handle user concerns and critical issues. Click Click

I'm a former Unity user and I'm glad I quit using it.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
But Fargo isn't really a technical guy. Don't forget Stone Keep, Descent To Undermountain, and spending a bajillion on sim city movies.

Don't forget he has been working with aspie programmers his entire career. So Fargo is the guy you go to, when you want to decode programmer speak. So I've got no worries this project will work out. I've got $250 riding on it, to prove it. And if in the unlikely event it runs into trouble, Brian can purchase C4 and get the straight talk from Eric Lengyel. :D

http://www.terathon.com/lengyel/

The One Million Developers trick was something Torque did as well. It's probably harder for most people to spot this but after seeing it over and over :roll: I remember pointing out that there were hardly any real reviews of unity on devmaster that said more than unity rocks lol at some point. Next day a whole ton of reviews with very similar wording showed up.

Like I said before, bullshit detector functioning 100% so far.

I don't have patience for sales people, because they stand between me and objective inquiry. When I want information, I want to talk to technical people, not BS artists.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
If InXile hadn't chosen it, I wouldn't be so positive with Koyima. I'm judging what I read through the InXile filter and the fact Fargo & co. know their job.

On the other hand, calling Koyima a seller and marketing guy is pure speculation and ad hominem. Looking around the Unity's forum, various webpages and reading his posts here, certainly don't give me that impression.
He probably is just a fan supporting his favourite engine. Bring some proof that he is an employee and it will certainly shut him up. His name is Kostas Yatilis MacFarlane.
Finally, he never said all the other engines are shit, even admitting that they would probably be ok for the job. He just defended Unity and InXile, saying it is safe choice and debunking some of the stuff said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom