Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 will include the original game

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Wasteland; Wasteland 2

InXile Entertainment has announced that the original Wasteland from 1987 will come bundled with Wasteland 2. Isn't that nice?

Hey, look. A press release:

Wasteland 2 now to include the original game which started the post apocalyptic RPG genre

Newport Beach, CA - July 10th, 2012 - InXile Entertainment today confirmed that Wasteland 2 will include the original Wasteland game that was released in 1987. The original RPG is considered the godfather of post apocalyptic games and went on to win numerous awards. Computer Gaming World inducted Wasteland into their Hall of Fame, and in 1996 they ranked it the #9 best game from a list of 150 games.

"The #1 request we had during our Kickstarter campaign was to have the ability to play the first game. Fortunately EA has continued to support us on this project and has granted us the ability to bring the original to the players," said Brian Fargo, of inXile Entertainment. "It is great to be able to make Wasteland available for those feeling nostalgic or who want to experience it for the first time. It certainly will not be a pre-requisite to understand Wasteland 2, but it adds some extra flavor if you did play the prequel."

About inXile Entertainment:
Founded by long-time industry veteran @BrianFargo in 2002, inXile Entertainment develops interactive entertainment software for all popular game systems, personal computers and wireless devices. The most current project under development is Wasteland 2 which was recently financed by its fans via @Kickstarter. For more information about inXile Entertainment visit: www.inxile-entertainment.com.

Wasteland is a registered trademark of inXile entertainment​

So now you're guaranteed at least one good game for that money you wasted pledged.

Stinger

Arcane
So is this why Fargo decided to put the game on Origin and get on EA's good side?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So is this why Fargo decided to put the game on Origin and get on EA's good side?

Tit-for-tat? No. Recall that a deal was already in place for inXile to be able to use materials from Wasteland 1 (Citadel, rangers, etc etc), and that they were already negotiating republishing Wasteland 1 before Kickstarter started. They have a very good working relationship, yes, and that has to go both ways or it wouldn't work, but tit-for-tat? Nah.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I realize it's free on Abandonia etc., but... if I could brofist inXile and Fargo, I would.

Er. I didn't mean for it to sound that way.

Or did I? :oops:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
What other stipulations did EA attach to this deal?

I have no idea. It's possible "Wasteland games will be distributed via EA as well" was a stipulation. Or maybe they'll be listed in the credits. But they have no influence on design, publishing, or make any money out of it, from that deal.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, it's kind of win-win. They weren't going to make a profit sitting on this stuff, plus they might re-launch it on GOG after Wasteland 2 raises interests (I have no idea what the future plans are). And by not being nasty about it and having a good working relationship with Fargo, EA has leveraged it into good PR. Both sides win, really.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Things seem to be going well for Fargo.

iS5Vr.jpg

REALLY well.

kazgar

Arcane
That's just the first 100k. The economy has struck the Vegas girls, as well.

Also, what what what? WL2 will be Origin exclusive?

nah, its being whored out, any digital distribution will do!

EA/Origin have just announced first that it'll be there.

Steam usually doesn't make a big song and dance until its ready to release.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Yeah, it's kind of win-win. They weren't going to make a profit sitting on this stuff, plus they might re-launch it on GOG after Wasteland 2 raises interests (I have no idea what the future plans are). And by not being nasty about it and having a good working relationship with Fargo, EA has leveraged it into good PR. Both sides win, really.
Somehow I still find that unbelievable.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
You should all be thankful, I know I am! I thank our video game overlords for such a precious gift. I hadn't realized all these years that they care so much about gamers. They must be really perfectly nice guys, sitting up there in their steel castles, watching us petty customers down here. One could think they are Gods, giving to mere mortal game studios the benefit to sit beside them for a while.

Yes, yes, they must be Gods. I will worship them from now on, it is the only rational thing to do after they proved how kind they are.
Thank you EA! All praise EA!!

Amen.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Recall that a deal was already in place for inXile to be able to use materials from Wasteland 1 (Citadel, rangers, etc etc),
That is rather... very disturbing.

Why? EA isn't making a cent on that deal. But inXile had to get their permission to use said materials, and they did.

What other stipulations did EA attach to this deal?

Mandatory Origin always-on DRM and at least 5 DLC expansions purchasable through in-game merchants :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom