Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 3 Fig Update #10: On Combat & Encounter Design

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
In fairness, he did let Tim Cain develop Fallout the way he wanted for basically no reason.

But that it’s the point, isn’t? He had not criteria whatsoever, which left him clueless.

Also Tim Cain is a great auteur of PC RPGs but I'm not sure retaining him as an asset would have positively influenced Interplay's fate in any significant way.

Of course it wouldn’t! My point is that this is just a clear indicator of how badly Interplay was managed.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Many studios in the 90's and early 2000's died. Few escaped unscathed. Some got lucky as independents to get a hit to soldier on before getting bought up by others; others like EA were already juggernauts and could survive a bunch of bad decisions.

Don't think bad management is really to blame, as all these things are in large part guesswork about betting on the next big thing. The late 90's exponentially increased technological power and potential player base what with Windows making the PC more accessible to all and the renaissance of consoles in a relatively cheap and powerful medium. In retrospect it's easy to find fault and say they should have done this or that but at the time it was a lottery as there was no guarantee that a game would be successful or not as often a delay would result in a previously well regarded game becoming the object of ridicule as being hopelessly obsolete since technology and tastes changed so rapidly then.

Remember the dot.com bubble,the hordes of investor shamans peddling various snake oil about the future of the Interwebz?The dozen search engines looking for capitalisation? Game developers had to fight for funds as well with these and accept their recommendations in order to secure those funds.

If we're going to blame management then you can blame about every studio at the time as most made shit decisions then. Luckily for some, the damage wasn't terminal or they had money to recover.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
The PC thing was Fargo's view at the time as well, and it was as stupid then as it is now. One can't blame "PC focus" for Interplay Films, VR Sports, failing to pay Hasbro their D&D royalties, mismanaged projects, etc.

Brian Fargo is the main responsible for the end of Interplay. You just need to consider the way he handled Tim Cain’s dissatisfaction with FO2 development to realize that he was completely clueless. Praising this person as an honorable veteran of the industry is like praising an ex-CEO from Enron as a Wall Street wizard.
I agree that he's the one to blame, but in that case I don't think he was wrong. According to one interview Roguey posted here recently, one of the reasons Tim Cain left was that he wanted royalties instead of regular bonuses, which complicates and sets a precedent that could make the company lose a lot of money.

Also, the "obsession with cinematic gaming" meant making console games

Nah. In the context of the period we're talking about (the 90s), "cinematic games" were "multimedia" PC games that took advantage of the CD-ROM format to stuff in tons of useless cutscenes, often live action. It's a different thing than the modern concept of a cinematic console action game, which didn't really fully exist yet back then.
True, but Interplay was doing fine in the 90s, and Stonekeep, one of these "cinematic games" with an extremely troubled development, sold well enough that they funded a sequel for 5 years before cancelling it.
Stonekeep was notoriously expensive and all, but that's not the best example of why Interplay went under.

Xion Beeker's (ami doing it rite?) wasn't there. If he's going on personal interactions with Fargo, "focusing on PC gaming too long" is equivalent to "didn't switch to console development fast enough", i.e. the development of FO:BoS, BG:DA and the cancelling of Torn & Jefferson.

That's kind of a silly way of thinking about it. "Switching to console development fast enough" means that Torn and Jefferson wouldn't have existed as PC-exclusive games in the first place. Is that bad? I guess so, but do you really think a second/third-tier publisher like Interplay was going to reverse the industry's consolization trend all on its own? It was going to happen one way or another, it was only a matter of time.

I believe it went something like this. Because Interplay were late to the console market, rather than try to create real multiplatform RPGs along the lines of KOTOR, which would have required serious time and investment that they didn't have, they took the cheaper "action spinoff" route, creating games that didn't appeal to their earlier fanbase and were doomed to limited popularity and commercial success.
They weren't late, because most of their successful PC games in the late 90s couldn't have existed on consoles. The MDK PS1 port was good example of why it was very complicated. They made more consoles games in the 6th generation because that's when it became more viable.
BG: DA was commercially successful with good reviews, and it was more expensive to make than IWD, for instance, so it wasn't a cheap route at all. It was definitely worse than the original, but that didn't hurt the sales.

Interplay's lateness in making it onto the new platform was an important factor in their console games' lack of quality - it's not something you can easily separate out. An Interplay that made it onto console earlier would have still been making multiplatform games, but they could have been decent enough full-scale RPGs, not shovelware.
Earlier when? And how? There's no way they could've ported Descent 3, Freespace 2, FO1, FO2, BG1, BG2 or any of their hits at the time. They took their time with their console games, which is better than rushing shovelware. The problem is that many of the games were extremely expensive and ended up being shit regardless.

Interplay/Fargo's biggest mistake was overextending. They had too many studios and too many projects to oversee without being efficient or having enough money to do so (plus stupid shit like Interplay Films, of course). The french did manage to keep the company afloat long enough to see if their 2002-2003 releases would pay off.
However, they had to get rid of so many projects, deals and studios that they were doomed unless the 5 games they still had were major hits (IWD2, Run Like Hell, BG: DA2, Lionheart and FO:BOS).

There's one particular event that says a lot about their situation at the time: shortly after Fargo left, Interplay sold Shiny Entertainment to Atari for $47 million, but $26 million went to Interplay's creditors. They paid their obligations, which is good, but here's the catch: the rights to Matrix games went to Atari along with Shiny. Enter the Matrix ended up selling 5 million copies.
To be fair, it's not like they sold it for a bargain because they were stupid. Interplay was taking heavy losses and had major debt. Surely everyone knew it was a bad deal for Interplay, but they had no leverage and were in deep shit with their creditors (plus a couple of lawsuits).

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
They should have started like that. They lost many potential backers by their lackluster communication.
I don't think second-tier(tm) company can do better :smug:

This particular announcement smells like decline, but since I didn't back it, i don't really care. Just installed DOS2 (which i backed much later than Fargo's numanuma, and it looks like it's almost ready (apart from somehow overheating my GPU in 10 seconds, probably i need to enable fps limiter).

Fairfax

Arcane
Apparently I'm still bitter about TORN being cancelled.
I think the game had a lot of potential, but it had a lot of risk involved:
  • A relatively large team of ~60 people.
  • First full 3D game made by Black Isle.
  • Troubled development even early on. One example given by Feargus: "Pathfinding was a huge, huge problem. We had a programmer working on pathfinding for probably four months, and it never really worked the way we wanted. It got better, but it never worked well, which consistently killed the morale of the team. They could usually break the pathfinding within a few minutes of getting a new build."
  • PC exclusive.
Plus it was an ambitious game in general. They knew it wouldn't be finished in time to bring Interplay enough money to pay their debts and keep the lights on, so they had to cancel it. With 20/20 hindsight, I'd say it was probably the right decision, even though the game sounded promising.
The engine TORN was using, LithTech 3.0, never had a game released because of how problematic it was. Every game which started with 3.0 had to upgrage to the next version, Jupiter. They already had to upgrade the engine version once, which caused a lot of bugs in the E3 build.
Feargus mentioned it in a 2002 post-mortem:
GS: Where you happy with the reception that the game received during the May 2001 E3 at its unveiling?

FU: No, we weren't happy with the reception. You [Desslock] didn't pick it as one of your top five games of the show. Things just weren't coming together. We had made the decision, I believe in March, to go to the latest version of the LithTech engine (3.0), rather than the version we had previously been using (2.3). Initially things went fine, but then we started having real difficulties getting things working, like pathfinding and lighting. The LithTech guys gave us engineering support and came down to help us, but the ramifications of the engine switch were significant. So much had to be changed, or rewritten, that our showing at E3 just wasn't great. It was amazing what was broken.

I think the only CRPGs LithTech released at the time was Might & Magic IX, which was notoriously buggy and considered ugly. This was a period where graphics mattered a lot, with how fast 3D graphics were evolving, and TORN wasn't particularly beautiful either:
ns13.jpg

ns04.jpg

370826-torn_003.jpg

Not much better than M&M9 if you ask me:

They didn't expect TORN to meet its targeted Q4 2001 release, which means it would've had to compete in 2002 against Morrowind, Black Isle's own Icewind Dale 2, Dungeon Siege, Neverwinter Nights, Enclave, Arx Fatalis, Divine Divinity and Gothic.
It had a good shot in 2001, but 2002 would've been brutal, and I think all of these had been announced by the time, so Interplay probably knew that.

While we'll never know what it could've been, projects like that never die completely. Feargus is very fond of revisiting old concepts, and I see many similar elements in Tyranny: the classless system, the "nuanced evil world" in conflict, the evil ruler of the region who's also the player's boss, spellcrafting, and probably more I'm forgetting. Feargus also said TORN was meant to be action-heavy - "but not in a Diablo way" - and accessible to people "who didn't like most RPGs", which is also part of Tyranny's concept.
I think PoE may have been influeced by TORN in some ways as well: the great tapestry (the great wheel in PoE), the cursed protagonist, the conflicts between gods, chaos x order, the secret evil faction who wants to bring order by destroying everything, and perhaps even the map (I know both are ME-like maps, but still):

Also, I don't think the fact all 3 had RTwP is a coincidence. This is what Feargus said in the same post-mortem:

GS: Are games that feature only turn-based combat "dead"? Do you think any RPG you produce will need some form of real-time combat, at least as an option (in spite of the fact that a lot of fans of the Fallout series loved the turn-based combat)?

FU: Dead? I think that has to do with the available time people have, more than any other reason. People need to get through combat quickly, and turn-based combat can drag things along. Turn-based combat is fine if there are three turns. I get frustrated in Wizardry 8, spending four turns just to get to the creatures I want to fight and then spending a long time in battle--sad to say, I just don't feel like I have time for all that, and I think a lot of gamers feel the same way.

GS: And yet turn-based strategy games, like Civilization III, still seem to have a viable market.

FU: That's true because you're not waiting. Except for very short periods of time, you're always in control of the game. In a role-playing game, since you're playing the heroes, your party members will typically be fighting twice as many monsters, and you'll have to wait for all of those enemies to take their turns.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Many studios in the 90's and early 2000's died. Few escaped unscathed. Some got lucky as independents to get a hit to soldier on before getting bought up by others; others like EA were already juggernauts and could survive a bunch of bad decisions.

Ok.

Don't think bad management is really to blame, as all these things are in large part guesswork about betting on the next big thing. The late 90's exponentially increased technological power and potential player base what with Windows making the PC more accessible to all and the renaissance of consoles in a relatively cheap and powerful medium. In retrospect it's easy to find fault and say they should have done this or that but at the time it was a lottery as there was no guarantee that a game would be successful or not as often a delay would result in a previously well regarded game becoming the object of ridicule as being hopelessly obsolete since technology and tastes changed so rapidly then.

You are arguing as if game publishers were venture capitalists trying to invest in groundbreaking technology, which is a silly argument. The only thing they need to do is know their target audience and provide them with what they want in a sustainable manner. Rinse and repeat. The FO fans didn’t disappear in the air because Interplay went down. Of course, it is easy to understand the market in hindsight, but you need to consider that they are the experts; it is their obligation to have a keen understanding of these things. Interplay made investments that sound ridiculous for any person with a modicum of good sense.

Remember the dot.com bubble, the hordes of investor shamans peddling various snake oil about the future of the Interwebz? The dozen search engines looking for capitalisation? Game developers had to fight for funds as well with these and accept their recommendations in order to secure those funds.

Bubbles are created by two types of individuals: knowledgeable crooks who takes advantage of dumb individuals (rich or not). Most people who invested in this dot.com bubble had no idea what they were doing. Their signs of bubble were there. Some of them lost everything not because this rocket science, but because they were laymans following the herd without any real understanding of how these things work.

If we're going to blame management then you can blame about every studio at the time as most made shit decisions then. Luckily for some, the damage wasn't terminal or they had money to recover.

And we should. There are too many incompetent managers in every segment of society. It would be a miracle that things would be any different in the game industry.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Another update filled with hot air only and wrote in such broad strokes that you can't extract any real information even if your life depended on it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They still haven't elaborated about whether or not you can make three additional characters, have they? Campaign's almost over too.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Wasteland 3 encounter. Where every meelee enemy can reach you froma cross the map in 1 turn. Oh, wait, that was Wasteland 2.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
67 hours left :bounce:

Judging from the current speed of funding, it's going to take a major effort to unlock the customizable insignia before closing time. I wonder how that's going to work in multiplayer; does the citadel get two different logos side by side, or do the players have to agree on one logo? Or does each player simply see their own version of the insignia? I hope they'll have a dedicated update to clear that stuff up.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
This article seems to have been deleted entirely from NMA (hmm I wonder why) but it's worth preserving :M https://archive.is/zU1bo
What a disaster................................................ I don't even have right smile for it. :M

The core fanbase weighs in:

4OIzXrE.png

Well, it looks like a mockery, but in Wasteland 2 it is really irritating to micromanage all 7 rangers, why I want to do this if I can have only 2 who will do the same work with same results?
Currently have 2-man team, the rest are mules\content unlocks, all fights are managed by Man With The Axe singlehandedly.

Aslo forgot to add. that combat system in W2 looks rather cheap - aimed strikes that grant 1-2 plain debuffs lol.
And in this update I see nothing that can enrich this poor-man's SPECIAL or GURPS system lol.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom