Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 3 Released

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Stuff that is better than in Wasteland 2:
- Combat itself
- enemy variety
- Build Variety (much more stuff is possible and viable)
- noncombat skills (no longer just 8 kinds of lockpicking and a lot of skillchecks now have negative results when completed)
- more interesting places
- much better writing and dialogue
- incomparably better pacing
- Story more interesting aswell
- Much better worldmap

90% of that isn't true tho.

Combat has the special attack meter which is nice. And yeah, doing away with percentage checks is a gigantic relief.

But. Enemy and build variety is about the same, places are actually less interesting, writing is comparable, pacing may be a bit better but not "incomparably", story IS better, true, but the world map is way worse and the slow-ass Kodiak travelling through boring and empty world is one of the worst features in W3.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Stuff that is better than in Wasteland 2:
- Combat itself
- enemy variety
- Build Variety (much more stuff is possible and viable)
- noncombat skills (no longer just 8 kinds of lockpicking and a lot of skillchecks now have negative results when completed)
- more interesting places
- much better writing and dialogue
- incomparably better pacing
- Story more interesting aswell
- Much better worldmap

90% of that isn't true tho.

Combat has the special attack meter which is nice. And yeah, doing away with percentage checks is a gigantic relief.

But. Enemy and build variety is about the same, places are actually less interesting, writing is comparable, pacing may be a bit better but not "incomparably", story IS better, true, but the world map is way worse and the slow-ass Kodiak travelling through boring and empty world is one of the worst features in W3.

What? Equaled for game length Wasteland 3 has much more unique enemies. Wasteland 2 has like 60 different enemy types only, W3 comes close to beating that just with gang members.
Also a lot of stuff is just bad in W2, in W3 you can actually employ all weapon types to similar effect, with maybe the standout in modified shotguns and sniper rifles being OP.
I guess places are a matter of taste, but I really liked all of Denver and most of the main hub. Much more than anything in W2.
As for the worldmap the higher influx of skills and level ups means you reach level 10 survival much faster, letting you pick your fights. Also you upgrade the Kodiak chassis level at very high speed. If you also get the morning star module and the speedmod from the Jambole that thing is ZOOMING. Also you can click the radio for a teleport back to Ranger HQ, which is nice. Can't remember if you could do that in W2, but with the W3 map having the HQ so central it saves a lot of time.
I think you have thick fondness goggles for Wasteland 2.

jackofshadows

Magister
From the vids I've seen it looks a cakewalk though. Have you tried the hardest difficulty yet?
It's also a cakewalk mostly thanks to group initiative and the ability to start first. Here my more detailed post about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom