Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Wasteland Kickstarter Project Interview with Brian Fargo

quasimodo

Augur
I understand that TB, iso, party + Wasteland does not guarantee a good game, but its a step in the right direction.

I will giving money to Kickstarter not just for this project, but to show approval for this type of funding, TB RPGs in general, and to encourage other mid-sized devs to make oldschool TB RPGs.

Think of all the money I haven't spent on games lately because I don't play the FPP/OTS RT action games that are called RPGs these days. I'll vote with that money by giving some of it to Kickstarter.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
From Brian Fargo's Twitter account:

Finished writing up my interview with RPGCodex... the site that makes developers shiver.

Looks like there's another interview coming. :lol:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
RPGCodex... the site that makes developers shiver.
We should have this on the forum page header, instead of "Come fly with me, let's fly! Let's fly away!". Is not "Glittering Gems of Hatred", but is good enough. :lol:

Well, I'll be donating. Not even in hopes for a good game (never could get into original Wasteland, though not for a lack of trying), but for a slim chance that more developers and publishers would recognise that there is still demand for TB old-school RPGs.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Finished writing up my interview with RPGCodex... the site that makes developers shiver.

Nice. Looking forward to it. Codex can be relied upon to ask some more good, prying questions.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member

Why did he go and spoil the surprise?

:x

It's clearly an affront against you, MMXI. Write him an evil email or comment on his twitter acc, he needs to learn to keep quiet when appropriate.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Fantastic news. I have been complaining for years about the SkyRetarded, the Dragon Retarded, the Mass Retarded Effect.... Donating now is the only responsible option for me.

Artists can spend months on a single 3D model in a 1st person game and that would make a lower budget title impossible

Here. Right fucking here, there's the official and undeniable admission that an RPG can't have FP ultrasparkly graphics AND depth together. Here.
Whenever a developer of an AAA RPG says "We're not sacrificing classic RPG elements because we polish the visuals", call "BULLSHIT!" right away and
quote this piece of interview.

/rant.
We will never know, as they are not going to fund a game which is both "hardcore" in its mechanics and "AAA" in budget. Personally, I think it could sell. The fable they use to tell us is "customers aren't interested in this" but it's bullshit.
Customers of triple A games simply don't have any sort of expectation about nothing beside some shiny graphics and tons of marketing to make that game feel "anticipated".

Given that, this was intended as a low budget, crowd funded project from the start. That doesn't necessarily imply that it has to look bad. If the developers are clever enough they can go from some stylized and peculiar art style, which is simple enough and cost effective but appealing at the same time.
For instance, my ideal "indie RPG I will never make" would have an aesthetic inspired from Another World. Very simple models, cool animations (there are even tons of motion capture public libraries these days to save on the budget) and yet that game still looks cool even today, after years.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Artists can spend months on a single 3D model in a 1st person game and that would make a lower budget title impossible

Here. Right fucking here, there's the official and undeniable admission that an RPG can't have FP ultrasparkly graphics AND depth together. Here.
Whenever a developer of an AAA RPG says "We're not sacrificing classic RPG elements because we polish the visuals", call "BULLSHIT!" right away and
quote this piece of interview.

/rant.
We will never know, as they are not going to fund a game which is both "hardcore" in its mechanics and "AAA" in budget. Personally, I think it could sell. the fable they use to tell us is 2customers aren't interested in this" but it's bullshit.
Customers of triple A games simply don't have any sort of expectation about nothing beside some shiny graphics and tons of marketing to make that game feel "anticipated".

Given that, this was intended as a low budget, crowd funded project from the start. That doesn't necessarily imply that it has to loo bad. If the developers are clever enough they can go fro some stylized and peculiar art style, which is simple enough and cost effective but appealing at the same time.
For instance, my ideal "indie RPG I will never make" would have an aesthetic inspired from Another World. Very simple models, cool animations (there are even tons of motion capture public libraries these days to save on the budget) and yet that game still looks cool even today, after years.

Hello, Tuco. What a pleasant guest to the Codex! I thought your thing was tormenting Clint Eastwood, not RPGs.
One learns something every day... :D

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
We will never know, as they are not going to fund a game which is both "hardcore" in its mechanics and "AAA" in budget. Personally, I think it could sell.
It would definetly sell, but the industry point is, if a AAA game already sells for $60 + DLCs, why spend even more money on it? The cost could even double to make Skyrim as complex as Daggerfall while keeping the AAA aspects....it would be....and AAAAA game! I would gladly pay $100 for a game like that, but it's not a business model the industry will ever adopt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom