Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter We need more buttons

fork

I've asked for a sheeeit button before, it will be very useful

I was about to say, you seem to like the sheeeeiit button.
Still, the quality should be enhanced and the size scaled down so the new buttons integrate better with the existing ones. Where are our photoshop and gimp artists? DU doesn't seem to be entirely pleased either.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Math needs to be explained to me because I still have no clue what it's supposed to mean.
I have no idea. DarkUnderlord made a suggestion that it should exist, and the Count was an obvious representation so I made the button.

There are a few obvious uses:
  • Someone uses a lot of numbers in a post for any reason, e.g. picks apart a game's annual sales for the last 3 years to prove whether the sequel will be good, or arguing about the best optimized Monk/Bard multiclass build in Generic Dungeon 2. Math!
  • Someone uses simple logic to arrive at a very obvious conclusion, e.g. "It rained today so the ground was wet." It's just math!
  • Someone uses unsound logic to arrive at a conclusion they think is obviously correct but is clearly stupid, e.g. "It was good for Bubble Cities 2030 to have a fish cleaning minigame, therefore all games should include a fish cleaning minigame." It's just math!
  • Someone actually uses complex, step-by-step thinking to arrive at a conclusion that is illuminating to the reader. *searches Codex for examples - file not found*
I like the last 3, more subtle uses, as they are all appropriate ways to praise, mock, encourage, or deny a poster's reasoning abilities.

fork

Agreed with what has been echoed already. But the most pressing problem is
Why isn't Fishy next to the other animal buttons?

I can't confirm nor deny the truth of that statement. However, should it be true indeed, it should also be kinda obvious that this has to be top priority. Right after enhancing quality and resizing.

Oracsbox

. I like the Count, versatile but also has a numeric purpose. Somebody thinks he's gay... what a fucking assclown child, or a foreign buttnugget without an ounce of civilization in you. Christ.

Cunt, if you're going to insult me, quote my name .. and if your idea of civilisation is a purple vampire puppet from Sesame Street, I have nothing but pity for you.

Came into this thread to see wtf is up with the fucking "sheeeeit" button that just appeared. Hmm.

That button is not indicative of the Codex I signed up for, and it's not indicative of a community I want to participate in. There is a massive difference between being a community that supports the free-speech right of an individual to vocalize hateful rhetoric and being a community that actively endorses the vocalization of hateful rhetoric.

The "sheeeeeit" button crosses that line for me.

I want to be clear that I love this forum. It is, without exaggeration, my favorite place on the internet, but I cannot in good conscience continue to participate here if this is the sort of thing that the administration finds amusing.

DarkUnderlord : You once wrote an editorial that I very much admired. The gist of it was "I am constantly offended by the shit that you morons say, but I am still firmly committed to the ideal of near absolutist free-speech... But there is a limit."

Well, this is my limit.

I believe that my post history here shows that I am a poster who has tried to engage with topics substantively and critically (and admittedly occasionally drunkenly). My hope and aim when posting has always been that I elevate the quality of discourse, that I recognize intelligence, wit, and particularly good-faith as admirable qualities (even when I disagree with the poster), and that I act as a bulwark against the histrionic shrieking of those who purely wish to manipulate our hobby to push a particular cultural or political agenda.

The implementation of this button makes me think that I have been an utter fool. If this button is indeed endorsed by the administration then I request an immediate ejection.

Alex

Arcane
Came into this thread to see wtf is up with the fucking "sheeeeit" button that just appeared. Hmm.

That button is not indicative of the Codex I signed up for, and it's not indicative of a community I want to participate in. There is a massive difference between being a community that supports the free-speech right of an individual to vocalize hateful rhetoric and being a community that actively endorses the vocalization of hateful rhetoric.

I want to be clear that I love this forum. It is, without exaggeration, my favorite place on the internet, but I cannot in good conscience continue to participate here if this is the sort of thing that the administration finds amusing.

DarkUnderlord : You once wrote an editorial that I very much admired. The gist of it was "I am constantly offended by the shit that you morons say, but I am still firmly committed to the ideal of near absolutist free-speech... But there is a limit."

Well, this is my limit.

I believe that my post history here shows that I am a poster who has tried to engage with topics substantively and critically (and admittedly occasionally drunkenly). My hope and aim when posting has always been that I elevate the quality of discourse, that I recognize intelligence, wit, and particularly good-faith as admirable qualities (even when I disagree with the poster), and that I act as a bulwark against the histrionic shrieking of those who purely wish to manipulate our hobby to push a particular cultural or political agenda.

The implementation of this button makes me think that I have been an utter fool. If this button is indeed endorsed by the administration then I request an immediate ejection.

Can we get a "bye" button?

Latro

Arcane
this new button only makes me think of one thing:
JR8V2Lo4wA3khREfucfkYyfiiVNlfdeuZ0QlLVGoSMg.jpg

Faarbaute

Arbiter

Well, this is my limit.

Sorry, but the Cheka allready has your name on the list.

Semiurge

Cipher
The jannies know VERY well that the biggest contributors to drama, off-topic shitposting and spam on this site are /pol/troons and teenagers who join solely to spam nazi/racist stuff everywhere. Once again, there's NOTHING wrong with happening to be a racist, memelord, or neonazi on rpgcodex. I'd rather share a forum with those people than tankietrannies who try to take over and ban everything they don't like. The problem is people coming to the site SOLELY to spam alt-right crap and whine about how jews are the reason women hate them. Go through the poast history of the worst spammers on rpgcodex and you'll consistently find they just post shit about jews and such, and when they DO poast in the gaming sections, it's almost always to bait or shitpost. If I just have tunnel vision and this is incorrect, the staff are free to let me know. But I'm pretty sure what I just said was accurate.

I don't really care too much, all I'm saying is that there's no reason to encourage the worst side-effect of our support for free speech (ESL speakers).

SomethingAwful is a warning example of our times. I browse the forum as a lurker and the things I see there...I would not wish upon the Codex. It's like a cute dog, full of ticks. From a distance the place looks fun and witty, but then you notice them - the cliche-spewing libtards. Border control = fascist. True equality = fascist. Free speech = fascist. Sexy women = toxic masculinity. Any presence of police enforcement = fascism. The reason it became what it is today is, I believe, that because of certain infrastructural changes and new PC policies it began to attract the very type that snuffed out its free spirit. The socialites, if you will.

So the point is that Codex should remain sufficiently unwelcoming to these true fascists, or else the same WILL happen here. Codex would become Resetera, the gaming focused version of SA.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
A "DEFENCE" OF THE SHEEEIITT BUTTON

Agreed with the people saying this new button is a bad move, but we all need to face reality together - the site has been in a sorry state for years now and it gets worse every year. This used to be the best place to read about and discuss games on the whole internet, IMO. Nowadays, it's the best place to watch as games discussions derail instantly into a sea of tired months-old /pol/ memes. Said it before, saying it again: you get about as much actual games discussion here as you do on the likes of ResetERA - that is to say, almost none. Half a page of actual gaming talk if you're lucky, then 20 pages of sperging about how there's a "tranny" in the game (which probably turns out to just be a woman with a strong jaw or something). The only difference between us and RetardERA is the exact strain of boring nonsense fringe IDpol shit that each discussion devolves into.

The Outer Worlds was a new RPG developed by Tim Cain et al. Big deal, right? We should have been the net's primo site for properly in-depth discussion (and criticism, given how much the game sucked), but what did we get instead? A grand pants-shitting festival in reaction to short hairstyles for female characters. "Oh no, this game doesn't have the hairstyles I wanted!!!" is a topic relegated entirely to two groups: preteen girls discussing The Sims, and middle-aged white nationalists on the Codex.

People on this site can manage to turn a discussion about Crash Bandicoot into a mad panic about the fertility rates of whites in Europe. Any fucking game, always the same result. Many people here don't even appear to play videogames anymore, and only follow the hobby so they can look at the latest trailers and shit themselves in blinding fear and rage when a black character pops up on screen. They will never play the game. These same people will unironically and obliviously continue to complain about how SJWs ruined the hobby in the early 2010s by bringing politics into it without actually playing games. The pot is calling the kettle black, and then making racist memes about it.

The site's reputation has been in absolute tatters for ages, and the point of no return was passed so long ago that I bet none of us even remember what it looked like. So the sheeeeit button is irrelevant in the long run. At this point, you could take Stormfront's "every month is white history month" photoshop-disaster banner and stick it at the top of the page as a replacement for the Codex dice troll, and it wouldn't reduce this site's reputation much lower than it already is (and has been for years).

The Codex's value nowadays is similar to SomethingAwful and the aforementioned ResetERA - an interactive cautionary tale, a piece of unintentional comedy performance art, a human zoo, a monument to how badly a community can end up. We are the virtual equivalent of one of those abaondoned ghost towns out in the desert, where people hoped to build a dream and instead ended up in a living nightmare. The sheeeeit button should stay, because it adds to this aspect. As Zombra said - and I agree - it proves people's suspicions about the site correct, but: a) it's not like you won't find the same exact image posted somewhere after about thirty seconds of browsing the site, because many people here are locked in a mid-2010s culture war that never ends, with years-old memes to suit, and b) that's the effect we should be going for at this point. We're a living joke, human warnings, and unless there's a revolution in the userbase and the type of people using the site, we always will be. Time to embrace oblivion - both the Bethesda-developed 2006 era-defining classic, and the moribund, void-bound future of the Codex.

Semiurge

Cipher
The jannies know VERY well that the biggest contributors to drama, off-topic shitposting and spam on this site are /pol/troons and teenagers who join solely to spam nazi/racist stuff everywhere. Once again, there's NOTHING wrong with happening to be a racist, memelord, or neonazi on rpgcodex. I'd rather share a forum with those people than tankietrannies who try to take over and ban everything they don't like. The problem is people coming to the site SOLELY to spam alt-right crap and whine about how jews are the reason women hate them. Go through the poast history of the worst spammers on rpgcodex and you'll consistently find they just post shit about jews and such, and when they DO poast in the gaming sections, it's almost always to bait or shitpost. If I just have tunnel vision and this is incorrect, the staff are free to let me know. But I'm pretty sure what I just said was accurate.

I don't really care too much, all I'm saying is that there's no reason to encourage the worst side-effect of our support for free speech (ESL speakers).

SomethingAwful is a warning example of our times. I browse the forum as a lurker and the things I see there...I would not wish upon the Codex. It's like a cute dog, full of ticks. From a distance the place looks fun and witty, but then you notice them - the cliche-spewing libtards. Border control = fascist. True equality = fascist. Free speech = fascist. Sexy women = toxic masculinity. Any presence of police enforcement = fascism. The reason it became what it is today is, I believe, that because of certain infrastructural changes and new PC policies it began to attract the very type that snuffed out its free spirit. The socialites, if you will.

So the point is that Codex should remain sufficiently unwelcoming to these true fascists, or else the same WILL happen here. Codex would become Resetera, the gaming focused version of SA.

I agree, but codex is already unwelcoming to these people by virtue of being able to say "nigger" or "a*str*li*n" and being told to fuck off when you whine to the jannies. I just think it's weird that the staff complain about people being too "casually racist" all the time and then basically add big stickers saying "THIS FORUM IS FOR RACISTS LIKE US".

Yes, Codex has an established reputation as a Nazi lair, and it helps that DU at least claims to be for free speech. From what I've heard Taxalot was either indifferent to politics as long as the money flowed, or against free speech for personal reasons. What DU says now may change after Codex's population has had some major changes over time, and yes, SA was also an unwelcoming place for its current members, once.

A retard is a retard though, whether they say 'nigger' or 'BLM'. I thought the Codex was a prestigious place where puerile outbursts where frowned upon, no matter their political leanings. From that perspective I understand the staffs reactions, even if they didn't think some casual 'nigger's would endanger Codex's existence.

Semiurge

Cipher
We're a living joke

I have to disagree. Don't forget that the people you complain about don't have many alternatives to Codex if they wish to (shit)post about politics where they also read and post about the intricacies of gaming. They had no choice but to migrate here, some of them only post about politics but so what? Their foibles must be tolerated as a necessary evil, or else the enforced political correctness will favor the other side. It always does. Anyone who's serious about RPGs won't mind that they're here, and I reckon they have more in common with the alt-retards than with libtards.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't get the crowd that sayd the sheeeiiit button is distasteful.

This is a meme because the actor that played Clay Davis in The Wire killed it and was awesome. We love the way he said it. I hear it every time I see the button lol.

It boggles the mind how something so extremely positive as the appreciation of black artists is twisted in the mind of holier-than-thou posters that have racism for lenses. You have to want to see it negatively to be outraged. This is basically a nigger-appreciator button (not to say nigger-lover even). Yes, we appreciate even the stereotype.

If you love your fellow nig, why don't you love your fellow nig button, guys? Or are you racists? Now that would be distasteful.

cheers.png
Cheers!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom