Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We Who Are About To Die -- Gladiator-themed Roguelite with Physics-based Combat -- now in Early Access

Zanzoken

Arcane
I didn't see a thread on this but figured some in the community might be interested.

There is a free demo available which offers you a chance to do the tutorial and half a dozen or so fights. I've since purchased the full game and in my opinion the demo is quite representative of normal gameplay.

The game advertises itself as an RPG, but I'm putting it in the General forum because I don't think it qualifies. It is fun though. More to come in subsequent posts.

Last edited:

Zanzoken

Arcane
Trailer

Combat tutorial by the developer. The game was made by one guy (!) and has been in development for 6 years.

Zanzoken

Arcane
You play the game as a single gladiator. If he dies in battle, it's game over.

There is no true character creation like we would typically see in an RPG. Instead you roll a character who gets a random name, appearance, background, etc plus some random low-level starting gear.

BNX07Oy.png

After you roll your character, you start at the Armory screen, one of the three main screens in the game. Here you can purchase equipment, which is rolled in the shop at random, and manage your inventory.

The two resources you have to manage in the game are Gold and Fame (the blue sword and wreath icon). You earn these by winning battles and pleasing the crowd.

rcB4KNL.png

The second important screen (or series of screens) is the Utility screen. This is where you heal, repair your equipment, and purchase other perks and upgrades.

Everything costs Gold and/or Fame, even basic tasks such as healing and training.

FmX5LM0.png

VCGdki0.png

The character screen (which is part of the Utility screen) shows your current stats. You can see your fighting skills, rank, and patron favor.

Patrons are NPCs who host the gladiator games. When you fight for one you gain some favor with them, but lose a small amount of favor with the others. High or low favor can cause random events to occur.

WVzQyiP.png

The last important screen is the Battle screen. This is where you select which fight you will participate in next.

The details of the fights are often obscured, but you can spend Fame to unlock them in most cases. You can also spend Fame to reroll the battle options.

BKgztVV.png

c8poIjN.png

You can also make prop bets on your fights. The bets are random and the only amount you can wager is 1000 Gold.

jNMGzIL.png

That's about it. In the next post I'll say a few things about the combat.

Last edited:

Zanzoken

Arcane
The combat is fun, and in my opinion strikes a good balance of easy to learn / hard to master. It is weird in the beginning, but after a few fights you'll start to get the hang of it.

Basic tips I would give are:
  • Train yourself to always keep track of your cursor. The cursor is the white dot with the yellow ring around it. Your character will always aim his strikes at the cursor, so it has to be near the enemy to land a decent hit.
  • Use short, quick mouse movements to throw your attacks. This also helps you manage the cursor and keep it on target.
  • Stamina is key. Keep in mind when you take damage in a fight, your stamina drops too. So the more injured you become, the less you're able to fight back.
I am far from an expert at this point, but those are a few things to watch out for.

iIQcbC0.png

Anyway, after you win the battle, you get a summary of how much Fame you earned, plus rep changes with the patrons.

Keep in mind that gear can affect your Fame in battle (positively or negatively). Spectators like deadly and exotic weapons, and dislike safer choices.

Kcrv6fh.png

After the battle you'll get a pop-up showing the Gold and Fame you earned in the fight as it is added to your total.

eFSPTpR.png

You also get a free heal after each fight. However, you don't automatically heal to max health. If you took a lot of damage in the fight, you'll only recover a portion of your health, and will have to pay the doctor if you want to recover more.

x2IklGX.png

At this point, random events will sometimes occur. They may be positive or negative, and may or may not involve a patron.

Otherwise, you'll be back at the Armory screen. Time to rest / recover, buy new equipment and upgrades, and then do it all again.

Y3wU23w.png

That's pretty much the entire game loop, at least that I've seen so far. I haven't made it too far in yet though, so maybe other features open up as you climb the ranks.

Last edited:

Zanzoken

Arcane
Here's a quick list of pros and cons based on my experience so far.

Pro

- The battle system, as mentioned above. I think it is effectively designed to reward skilled play and punish button spamming. You want to be aggressive, but if you just recklessly spam attacks your character will gas out quickly and be rendered helpless for a few seconds.

- Little things in the battle system that are cool. You can kick, shield bash, and throw your weapon. There are random disarms. Spectators throw in weapons from the crowd and the AI knows how to pick them up.

- The character models look good, and are satisfying to inflict violence upon. There is lots of blood and gore, including heads and limbs being chopped off, but imo it's cartoonish enough to not be truly shocking or vulgar.

- The venues are well-done and there is a good variety of them. Before each fight there is a short countdown and walk to the arena (seemingly patterned after this scene in the film Gladiator) and it feels intense.

- Lots of weapon variety, though I'm still experimenting to see how different the weapons feel in practice. Armor is segmented into head, torso, arms (L+R), and legs (L+R) which is always a nice touch.

- Damage is localized by body part, although it all accrues against a single health pool.

- For a game that just released to EA last week, it's highly stable and performant. I have had zero issues running it on my 8 year-old PC, and have yet to experience a CTD or noticeable bug. Hats off to the dev for such remarkable QA.

Con

- Lack of character creation, and a character system that is overall very basic. There is room here for a deep, complex character system with attributes, traits, feats, etc but for whatever reason the dev opted otherwise. Your skills do increase in a "learn-by-doing" fashion, but at least so far I haven't been able to tell a significant difference in how the character feels as he levels up. And the game's few attributes (i.e. movement, stamina, etc.) can't be trained directly. The only way to increase them is when you rank up in battle, and the game gives you a choice between two random upgrades. All in all, this is why I personally do not consider this game to be an RPG.

- There is painfully little to do between battles. At best you get a random event, maybe an upgrade or two. There is a bit of strategizing to be done, but it is not particularly interesting.

- Many of the non-combat aspects of the game feel overly gamey, e.g. having to buy single-use "training gear" in order to train between fights, or the equipment shop consisting of random drops and requiring Fame expenditure to open up all its slots. Feels like there are MANY cases where the dev was just trying to think of ways to force you to spend Gold and Fame, as a means to prolong the game... probably a consequence of the previous point.

- Speaking of the rank system. When you win a battle, you increase in rank. As you can probably guess, higher ranks leads to tougher opponents. At the moment, it feels like the game rushes you along way too quickly, and you'll find yourself fighting some pretty skilled and well-equipped opponents while your character still feels like a noob in crappy starter gear. Luckily, the dev has a "sandbox" mode on the roadmap which is supposed to be user configurable.

One last thought. Perhaps this is an unfair criticism, but I feel like the game would be much more intriguing if the player was put in the role of a lanista -- i.e. one who is responsible for managing and training a school of gladiators -- as opposed to just a single fighter. The management sim aspects of the game -- i.e. managing equipment, facilities, relationships with patrons, etc -- make WAY more sense in that context. Because in reality, gladiators weren't in charge of any of that stuff. They were slaves who just trained and fought.

To be fair, this game is set in a fictional place, not ancient Rome. And realism should take a backseat to good game design whenever a conflict arises between the two. But in this case, I think playing as the leader of a gladiator school, in charge of training fighters and making matches at events, would lead to a way better game. There is another gladiator-themed game called Domina which puts the player in the lanista role, and makes for a fun management sim. I wish there was some way to merge the best aspects of WWAATD and Domina (plus another tweak or two) because it would essentially be the perfect gladiator game.

Still, regardless of its shortfalls, I think WWAATD is already a solid contribution to the gladiator and action game genres, and I'll be excited to see how it progresses throughout EA and on to full release.

Last edited:

Zanzoken

Arcane
Well, after suffering quite a few ignominious deaths I managed to beat the game for the first time, albeit on Commoner (a.k.a. Easy) difficulty. I justified turning the difficulty down because the dev has admitted that the difficulty curve is a bit fucked at the moment, and is planning to adjust it in the first patch.

Here's my character at retirement.

RIacbNH.png

Z8uUXzj.png

5XjUaMG.png

It wasn't my intention to play the entire run with almost no armor, but the Slave background gets a -50% reduction in all Gold earned (from battles, selling items, everything). So after healing, repairs, and training, I was perpetually broke and couldn't afford more than a handful of big purchases over the entire run.

One interesting thing to note is that after the initial difficulty spike, the enemies don't seem to get too much harder. I was winning fairly handily toward the end, although the combat is still quite deadly and you have to be careful. I probably could've kept going with this character to greater success, but since he had enough Fame to retire, I decided to quit while I was ahead and claim my first victory.

Would be interested to hear if any Codexers have given this a try, and what their thoughts are. The combat system is really fun and gives you that "just one more battle" urge. Then the next thing you know it's 2AM.

Looks interesting enough, but your cons are not making me overly optimistic (especially lack of a proper character system). Ill give the demo a try.

i've seen the guy behind this game defend the name's choice instead of the more obvious, more appropriate, more original, more due "morituri" using something along the lines of "dumber is better".

Demo is fun so far, but the combat physics feel kinda floaty. Runs stable and bugfree which is impressive for a 1 man EA game.
Overall my first impression is decent, but the game is still inferior to Colloseum on the PS2.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Looks interesting enough, but your cons are not making me overly optimistic (especially lack of a proper character system). Ill give the demo a try.

Well, I need to amend part of what I wrote above.

Lack of character creation, and a character system that is overall very basic. There is room here for a deep, complex character system with attributes, traits, feats, etc but for whatever reason the dev opted otherwise. Your skills do increase in a "learn-by-doing" fashion, but at least so far I haven't been able to tell a significant difference in how the character feels as he levels up. And the game's few attributes (i.e. movement, stamina, etc.) can't be trained directly. The only way to increase them is when you rank up in battle, and the game gives you a choice between two random upgrades. All in all, this is why I personally do not consider this game to be an RPG.

You actually can train all of the attributes, except for Health (which can only be increased through random level-up events). And with the character I took all the way to the end last night, I could tell a difference in how he performed... mostly in terms of stamina and movement speed.

I still think the character system is overly simplistic, and would be better if it was more fleshed out. But it's not quite as bad as I had originally thought.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Finished my second run today. Here is my final build.

Really like this gear setup, which provides good protection without being too taxing on stamina regen. Plus it looks bad ass!

2aW6lCF.png

I have found that skill growth really tapers off once you reach 80/100 or so. A skill will continue to increase from there, but very slowly.

5vZ2Gj0.png

The victory condition for this run was to get 80 kills.

HoN1QBh.png

I tried to record my character's final battle, but the recording came out too choppy. Here are some screenshots though.

The moment of suspense before the gate opens.

4sFVVTD.png

The opponent in this 1-v-1 match is an Aspired, an endgame level enemy. This guy happens to be a sword-and-board fighter like me.

G5SapxS.png

I like to fight going backward, leading the opponent to attack and then countering. I kite him around the arena some.

x8gEWP3.png

First blood!

dwHlHNj.png

I land a nasty shot to his head.

NeRxL42.png

Another headshot lands with satisfying impact and sends his helmet flying.

bkkeBxL.png

The enemy still has some fight left in him, though, and manages to slip one through my guard.

KKiEH3D.png

It's too little, too late for this guy though. I lead up him to the center of the arena so all the fans can see the finish.

0Rq32Wf.png

Suddenly, boom! A powerful slash separates his head from his body!

UM8EjKI.png

This fighter stands victorious for the last time.

Igglfv9.png
I think I've pretty much mastered the sword-and-board style, so I guess the next challenge would be a 2H run.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/973230/view/3647388158747879110
Update 2 is OUT! (Early Access v0.1.6) + WEEKEND DEAL! 25% off!
Dear Aspirants!
Update 2 is here! And to go with it, the game
is 25% off starting NOW through monday 10 am PST
After a small break, development has resumed full force and I'm glad to get this new update out. I'm also very happy to announce the team has expanded (after years of solo!) - I'm getting some help with admin and non-development tasks so I can focus on expanding the team further and development itself - excited to build out this game into something really special, together!

Changes in Update 2 include optimisations, bugfixes, balancing changes and new features/items, but this update primarily features 2 new backstories -
Desperate Politician
and the
Blacksmith's Apprentice!

Feedback/bug reports regarding this update? Join the Discord community! Check out #sacrficial-info to sign up as a playtester and give feedback on unreleased updates as we work on them.

Desperate Politician
A failed politician with no combat skills and whom the crowd actively hates! But you start with decent money and 2 bodyguards in every match (Entourage) - Hide behind your guards and your shield and try to slowly gain the favor (votes) of the patrons to succeed.

Blacksmith's Apprentice!
As an apprentice you were tasked to slowly funnel items away from the combat sport into the blacksmith's possession. You get free repairs, heavy discounts, but all bought items are used/salvage at low durability. Give enough items to the blacksmith (replaces selling) to complete your goal!

043a82f9687dce2272fde898dbcfac8e4e926d41.png

Early Access v0.1.6 - Full Changelog
MAJOR new content & features
  • New backstory - Desperate Politician!
  • New backstory - Blacksmith's Apprentice!
  • Updated engine version the game runs on - painful undertaking, but in the name of stability and performance
  • Added Steam Cloud Saves
  • Added a checkbox on character reroll screen to skip completed legacies
  • New Advantian Toga chest 'armor'
  • New Cloth Tunic chest 'armor'
  • Added a new triggerable spike trap
  • Added a new interactible button (for now only for the spike trap, many more options later on!)
  • Added spike trap variation to FFA Terantian Arena
  • Added spike trap variation to The Terantian Pits
  • Added spike trap variation to The Stadium
  • Added spike trap variation to the City Center
  • Added spike trap variation to the Small Pit
  • Balancing changes to Double Chaka, Tradaka,Gathaldaka, Bardiche (price, durability, damage)

b58e50ee98b7b5278139882fc0c4c4255d910a9a.gif

MINOR new content & features
  • Added a custom tiers override system
  • Flails now have their tier bumped up to better reflect their strength
  • New Heavy Hammer model/graphics
  • Sturdy and Impressive tiers have their colours reversed (blue > green)
  • QoL: Item pick up range is doubled after victory
  • Adjusted some blacksmith related UI messaging
  • Added a random chance for the shop to be discounted
  • Added 'effects' graphics option
  • Added new cloth tunic to audience
  • Added advantian toga and variations to the audience
  • Added Rusty Wreath for Desperate Politician
  • Added Bronze Bardiche (+ replaces Bardiche on early-mid game units)
  • Added Bronze Gathaldaka (+ replaces Gathaldaka on early-mid game units)
  • Updated model on the Double Chaka
  • Updated models for the 2 owakhan hats.

BUGFIXES & OPTIMISATION
  • Restructured and optimised texture streaming, pool size and more - may fix some VRAM related crashes also
  • Reconfigured graphics maximums and minimums for hopefully a big optimisation
  • Optimised Small Pit and the main career menu map
  • The game now runs on DX12 by default, added a launch option for DX11
  • Fixed bug where the item gift event would not give shields
  • Fixed bug where only one bet would pay out if you had multiple active
  • Fixed bug where bets were not correctly loaded / disabled upon load
  • Fixed small UI bug on run victory panel

We who are about to die salute you!
Jordy

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/973230/view/3647388158747879110
CONTENT UPDATE 2 - v0.1.6 is OUT! + WEEKEND DEAL! 25% off!
Dear Aspirants!
v0.1.6 is here! And to go with it, the game
is 25% off starting NOW through monday 10 am PST
After a small break, development has resumed full force and I'm glad to get this new update out. I'm also very happy to announce the team has expanded (after years of solo!) - I'm getting some help with admin and non-development tasks so I can focus on expanding the team further and development itself - excited to build out this game into something really special, together!

Changes in v0.1.6 include optimisations, bugfixes, balancing changes and new features/items, but this update primarily features 2 new backstories -
Desperate Politician
and the
Blacksmith's Apprentice!

Feedback/bug reports regarding this update? Join the Discord community! Check out #sacrficial-info to sign up as a playtester and give feedback on unreleased updates as we work on them.

Desperate Politician
A failed politician with no combat skills and whom the crowd actively hates! But you start with decent money and 2 bodyguards in every match (Entourage) - Hide behind your guards and your shield and try to slowly gain the favor (votes) of the patrons to succeed.

Blacksmith's Apprentice!
As an apprentice you were tasked to slowly funnel items away from the combat sport into the blacksmith's possession. You get free repairs, heavy discounts, but all bought items are used/salvage at low durability. Give enough items to the blacksmith (replaces selling) to complete your goal!

043a82f9687dce2272fde898dbcfac8e4e926d41.png

Early Access v0.1.6 - Full Changelog
  • New backstory - Desperate Politician!
  • New backstory - Blacksmith's Apprentice!
  • Updated engine version the game runs on - painful undertaking, but in the name of stability and performance
  • Added Steam Cloud Saves
  • Added a checkbox on character reroll screen to skip completed legacies
  • New Advantian Toga chest 'armor'
  • New Cloth Tunic chest 'armor'
  • Added a new triggerable spike trap
  • Added a new interactible button (for now only for the spike trap, many more options later on!)
  • Added spike trap variation to FFA Terantian Arena
  • Added spike trap variation to The Terantian Pits
  • Added spike trap variation to The Stadium
  • Added spike trap variation to the City Center
  • Added spike trap variation to the Small Pit
  • Balancing changes to Double Chaka, Tradaka,Gathaldaka, Bardiche (price, durability, damage)

b58e50ee98b7b5278139882fc0c4c4255d910a9a.gif

MINOR new content & features
  • Added a custom tiers override system
  • Flails now have their tier bumped up to better reflect their strength
  • New Heavy Hammer model/graphics
  • Sturdy and Impressive tiers have their colours reversed (blue > green)
  • QoL: Item pick up range is doubled after victory
  • Adjusted some blacksmith related UI messaging
  • Added a random chance for the shop to be discounted
  • Added 'effects' graphics option
  • Added new cloth tunic to audience
  • Added advantian toga and variations to the audience
  • Added Rusty Wreath for Desperate Politician
  • Added Bronze Bardiche (+ replaces Bardiche on early-mid game units)
  • Added Bronze Gathaldaka (+ replaces Gathaldaka on early-mid game units)
  • Updated model on the Double Chaka
  • Updated models for the 2 owakhan hats.

BUGFIXES & OPTIMISATION
  • Restructured and optimised texture streaming, pool size and more - may fix some VRAM related crashes also
  • Reconfigured graphics maximums and minimums for hopefully a big optimisation
  • Optimised Small Pit and the main career menu map
  • The game now runs on DX12 by default, added a launch option for DX11
  • Fixed bug where the item gift event would not give shields
  • Fixed bug where only one bet would pay out if you had multiple active
  • Fixed bug where bets were not correctly loaded / disabled upon load
  • Fixed small UI bug on run victory panel

Jordy

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
CONTENT UPDATE - v0.17 is OUT!
Dear Aspirants!

v0.17 is here! This is an intermediate update before the upcoming Ascension Update which will be the first Major Update! (And the Ascension Update is already in development - a bit more on that below!)

0c8ae09084c9e6a2c2c580f5f0d2884590a5c044.png

v0.17 is mostly focused on stability but also adds a load of content, because why not? Most prominently, v0.17 should take care of the crashes that were plaguing the game, one frequent one in particular being the post-battle crash-- very happy about fixing that one! (Well, let's hope the battle with these bugs is finally over. I know better than to celebrate too early)

Solo Dev No More!
Some of you paying close attention may have noticed development slowed down a bit - compared to right after launch - and even more so compared to before launch (for the people who've been around that long!), This was expected - it is primarily because I am in the process of finding, building, onboarding and managing a team now. Coming from being a solo dev, a side effect is the overall productivity inevitably takes a big hit as my time starts going to all kinds of other things like that.
Over the next weeks and months productivity will catch back up and eventually overtake what it ever was before -- long term gain!
On that note, I'm very pleased to say the team has further expanded since v0.16 and my solo-dev days truly are history now! I will properly introduce team-members later on, and properly announce the game studio as well.

c45050df13aa24d7ac19192f22e9f41be6e21532.png

Ascension Update!
v0.2 - the next update after this one - is the Ascension Update. The goal of that update is to elevate the game, reinvent ways to play (let the game ascend!) and set up the remainder of early access. This update is already in development and is well underway.

Major features include: Third Person mode, Controller Support (and possibly Steam Deck support), various combat-focused tweaks and features, tons of new content, fixes and more!

Check out the game's discord channel to see Progress Updates I posted about third person mode!

Here's a preview video of Third Person Mode (which also shows the new pan clunk and some new weapons!) https://youtu.be/YlCEdCkbm04

Early Access v0.17 - Full Changelog

• Added a custom pan bonk sound effect for pan, golden pan and shield pan. (!)
  • Added save backup system. Whenever your save is lost or corrupted (which should hopefully not happen again due to crash fixes this update!) you will load the most recent backup.
  • Added dynamic/randomised stray rocks and other destructibles to most arenas
  • Added new enemy type: Myrodon Chosen
  • Added The Pit daytime version

• Added new Godly 1H Sword: Triumph
  • Added new spear: Linolian Bronze Stacca
  • Added new spear: Fishing Stacca
  • Added new spear: Lophosi Barbed Stacca
  • Added new axe: Hefty Bronze Chaka
  • Added new axe: Linolian Basic Chaka
  • Added new axe: Owakhan Chaka
  • Added new cloth & leather arm & leg wraps
  • Added new helm: Myrodon Vanguard Helm
  • Added new flail: Myrodon Helioflagga

ae4c67961d765555f1ed9b6de2509bef9d0fa21a.jpg

fb9fd13dfc971cfbd8353cc9b4100431ca408b79.gif

MINOR new content, features, balancing changes
  • Balanced AI bumping you (more changes to come)
  • Rewrote shield push/bump system for smoother response
  • Spear combat (damage, speed) has been balanced slightly
  • AI is now a bit more aware of (spike) traps and will avoid them if possible
  • Added a speed boost when unarmed
  • Much finer and wider shield-turning ability (and better head-looking animation)
  • City Center and Stadium spikes variation have fewer spike traps
  • Hidden accidental Tourney/Grand Tourney UI element (Untill the two modes make their return!)
  • Small visual and stat tweaks to Myrodon Helms
  • Iron Hanian Clava & Iron Double Chaka are now Masterwork tier (no other changes)
4fe7da0f1a47e46e80792a61b298e78ce32cb9f0.gif

Bugfixes
  • Fixed common crash on Small Pit for some AMD GPU’s
  • Possibly/probably (hopefully) fixed common crash after returning from battle.
  • Fixed bug where you can purchase the same item as many times as you want by spamming Enter at the right time
  • Training intensity 0 no longer consumes gear
  • Fixed bug with Stadium spike trap variation failsafe teleporting characters inside mesh
  • Patron favor % increases and decreases were calculated incorrectly and there was an inconsistent display between the post-victory UI after battle and actual %.
  • Custom rebind for end battle (Default: TAB) - note, does not update the key visually yet
  • Various minor UI fixes
  • Various minor audio fixes

Optmisations
  • Added dynamic skeletal mesh LODs on audience members and some equipment
  • Drastically optimised Stadium map material drawcalls and mesh LODs
  • Drastically optimised Small Pit (graphics wise)
  • Various optimisations (AI, graphical…)

Jordy

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/973230/view/3671047363337661287
NEWS: Attention, Champions! Ascension Update preview #2 is here!
Discussing Third Person Mode, the throwing overhaul, controller support and more!
⚔️Aspirants! Ascension Mode preview #2 is here -- last time we talked about visual aspects of the update, you can check that out here.
Today we'll talk about all the
major gameplay changes
, which is really the bulk of the update.

Third Person Mode
Wait, isn't the game already third person mode?

⚔️Kind of -- but not really! Originally We Who Are About To Die was an exploration of directional mouse based combat disconnected from the camera. To make that work, I added an overhead perspective, targeting and things like AutoCam.
Once you're used to it, it works quite well, but its very different to most games. Its love it or hate it - many people asked for a
true Third Person Mode
in the style of say Mount&Blade, Breath of the Wild, God of War... and I heard you!

TL;DR in this new Third Person Mode, your camera is tied to aiming input -- no more need to fight the camera. Look at these comparisons!
It is more immersive and easier to get into when new to the game, with some sacrifices of clarity and overview.

64c4e9bfc2a62b51bd4d3924900a0e00fc990746.gif

6f095c573441bea087d5c201e4fd14663feac065.gif

You can look and aim up & down much easier. The original mode is now called
Classic Mode
, and best of all -- you can switch dynamically between the two depending on your need. Just hit R in combat! Do you think you'll be playing TPM or Classic more? Let me know in the comments!

064dee700768f31666b49cab8a8833daa86c973c.gif

Controller Support
⚔️Combat Controller Support is introduced in the Ascension Update. (Career controller support will be coming later.) After lots of iteration on the control scheme I'm happy to say it feels really good.

28573fe28b1d5edb8be7946ba532f011b7a0513b.png

To attack, you hit the Right Trigger and aim in a direction with the right analog stick as if you would with a mouse. There are subtle differences in how combat works with controller to make it flow better.

553346e7246d278f941746c4a78aa7a8abf86a0f.gif

You can also play with controller in both Third Person Mode and Classic mode.
Lastly, thanks to our developer Lino, the tutorial and (almost) every UI element has been updated already too, as well as the rebinds menu so you can customize the layout.

Throwing System Overhaul
⚔️The entire throwing system has been reworked from the ground up. Originally, it was purely physics based and based on timing - drop your weapon ('let go') during any attack or movement and it 1:1 keeps going - a throw! Innovative and interesting, but unwieldy. Even for grizzled veterans, throwing is more of a gimmick than a true strategic component of combat.

So I decided to rework it fully and make it more useable.

Same foundation, but more automated aiming. Every mode (TPM/Classic, controller or keyboard/mouse) has a custom solution, but the gist is the weapon will be thrown to where you are aiming as long as you released your weapon during a certain (generous) window.
Certain attack types like overhead have more power and accuracy, and throwing is dependent on your character's Throwing Skill for overall force and accuracy.

32b2852d6e2ad1ec7d23269c5584e31bd79a92b2.gif

At lower throwing skill (= lower strength) you will also throw more upward dynamically to reach far away targets.
You have no idea what a pain this was to implement!

36acff36da8e1a91ae05657f832b9e937237acb8.png

High character skill throws are more direct in a straight line and more likely to hit whatever is in front of you.

Smart Shop
⚔️Yosha, our programmer, has completely reworked the underlying logic fueling the 'random' shop and its items. The system now works with 'recipes' that we can easily plug in. The default shop recipe makes sure there are items that are very appropriate to your current level, that there's a great balance of different types (fewer situations with 4 weapons etc!) and that you get no duplicates (except in niche situations)

The great thing is this is fully data driven, so adding specific shop recipes is a piece of cake. We could create new events in the future that make it so the shop only sells tier 2-3 helmets and axes, or pretty much whatever we can think of.

I can personally attest from testing, the shop is significantly more engaging - there's always appropriate options to purchase and it feels so much better.

Auto-Pickup & Item Overlay
With Controller Support added, we needed a solution to pick up items. Fortunately it also translates back to Keyboard&Mouse. You can now pick up the nearest item by pressing Q or E respectively without having to click on the item -- super easy and quick.

282599ae6dfe22fe791756dec3c41bd6edd595e4.gif

There's a small item tooltip associated with this, and at the same time, we added an overlay that shows all tooltips on screen so you can quickly scan for interesting items.

d02292f030db82f7ae060991ec1bf05c217edd03.gif

Combat Changes
Attack Lock
⚔️The way attack (directions) lock in now has been changed. For directional attacks (sideways) you have to pull a certain distance, then it locks in. Previously it would lock your attack after a specific amount of time instead.
Damage rebalance
⚔️Damage calculation has been heavily rebalanced as to be more reliable. In short, the point of your weapon that hits the enemy is weighed less, and the overall speed of your weapon more.

Example: before, a sword would deal significantly more damage if you hit with the tip versus the middle. Makes some sense, but it made damage more unpredictable and unstable. Now turning into your attack manually is more impactful. More stable, and feels better.

Animation Fixes
⚔️Some animations have been fixed and adjusted. For example, 1 handed right uppercut attacks have been redone completely to be more clean. Polearms now have 1 single left-side stun/backhand attack animation, which is less confusing.
New FX and Scaled damage effects
⚔️All blood effects have been reworked and several new layers of FX, UI FX and sound FX have been added that scale according to your damage. In short, you can better tell how strong your hit was by the
gamefeel
Hard Mode
⚔️For the advanced players: after you've completed at least 1 legacy/backstory, hard difficulty unlocks (called Lionslayer). AI deals more damage, you earn less gold and fame and so on, but more importantly, the AI is more competent in combat from level 1 to avoid a slow & unchallenging early game. The default for this mode should be losing, even if you are very good - so I hope to get all your feedback on this mode!
Remember, dying is fun!

Ready to Ascend?
⚔️There's even more to the Ascension Update, believe it or not - the UI has gotten polish, there's new sound effects, items (Including revamped Owakhan hats, a new spear, 2 hander and shield!), destructibles, map updates, colour customisation and more - but you'll have to
find that out yourself in early August!

e3e783566e7a3c51e35a8187e89b3809e544cf40.gif

d5cc8260bb08f5a0a37199b7c47ea192af8237d2.png

Thanks for reading, let me know what you think, what you're most excited about, and to help us out, share a link to this post or the game where-ever you can -
word of mouth made all of this possible!

We who are about to die salute you,
Jordy

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/973230/view/3687937038728579015
MAJOR UPDATE: Combat Controls Update OUT NOW! + 30% discount
The Combat Controls Update is finally here! Third Person Mode, Controller Support and much much more.
0b8eddc422e3e950a9f5209071176f43ad953d2f.gif

Fellow Aspirants!
The Combat Controls Update is here!
You can find the
full changelog
at the bottom of this post.

After years of solo dev, we have grown into a small team in the past few months and I'm thrilled to release our first
Major Update
! The Combat Controls Update aims to improve and expand some very fundamental parts of the game to set us up for the rest of Early Access. ⚔️

Check out this overview video I made:
youtube_16x9_placeholder.gif

steam_spinner.png

Third Person Mode
- This is a brand new, game changing camera / controls setup. The original version is now "Classic Mode" and you can toggle dynamically between the two. We've added details to all arena's too so you can explore them from this new perspective.
TPM is more immersive, you don't have to manage the camera, and far easier to learn when starting out.
b025af9bfae90d11df29cd8c7aee6d6b4f000f91.gif

Controller Support
We've added controller support! The combat is already very smooth, but note that non-combat controller support is still
experimental
. We will refine this in upcoming patches!
Found a bug? Report them to us on Discord!

Didn't find a bug? join our community on discord anyway!. Follow progress updates, vote on polls, steer the design direction and/or just hang out with us!

Early Access v0.2 - Combat Controls Update
Full Changelog
MAJOR new features & content
  • New
    Third Person Mode
  • New
    Controller Support
  • New
    Throwing Overhaul
  • New
    Lionslayer difficulty (Hard Mode)
  • Visual upgrade to character proportions and poses (inside combat and out)
  • 20+ new and reworked items for fleshed out Owakhan and Lophosi cultures
  • Smart Shop: shop overhaul that considers your needs more
  • New Dynamic volumetric fog on most maps
  • New weapons & shields pick-up system
  • A combat Item overlay to quickly scan for interesting items
78fdf398bdeea9101ee423734dc6dc838d2bedac.gif

Combat changes
  • Brand new updated bottom right 1h attack animation
  • Damage calculation has been heavily rebalanced as to be more reliable
  • Improved General combat feeling and Attack Direction responsiveness
  • Improved AI flanking and surrounding logic
  • Added Attack Lock, directional attacks are locked after a certain mouse pull distance
  • Movement speed is increased when unarmed
  • Added a simple parry system
  • Stuns are now slower or faster depending on player’s stamina
  • Improved upper body movement on polearms and spears
  • Left side pole-arm 'stun' hits are now 1 animation, not 3
52d6a3ac1f57a7abfa336dd83ba1352c8dbec3bd.gif

New Content
  • Reworked all Lophosi and Owakhan unit types
  • Added Lophosi Vanguard unit type
  • Added Owakhan Sentinel, Owakhan Maniac unit type

• Added full new Lophosi Armor set (Lophosi leatherplate: chest, legs, arms, helm)
  • Added Lophosi Barbed Spear
  • Revamped existing 3 helms/hats to Lophosi style
  • Renamed / culture shifted several items to Lophosi

• Added full new Owakhan Armor set (Owakhan Sentinel set, chest, legs, arms, helm)
  • Added new sword: Owakhan Bone Sword
  • Added new spear: Owakhan Bone Spear
  • Added new shield: Owakhan Woven Shield
  • Added new shield: Owakhan Round Woven Shield
  • Revamped the entire existing Owakhan Armor set
  • Revamped Owakhan Dome Helm
  • Revamped the Low and Mid tier Owakhan hats

• Added Godly Ornate Cuirass
  • Added destructible Lute
  • Added destructible Stools

• Added a new tattoo'd character skin
b6478c148a6e9ef901307f29c8694348e9b3cd47.gif

Balance changes & tweaks
  • Added more noticeable gear durability decay
  • Rework of all blood effects with new directional FX, UI FX and Sound FX
  • Added deadzone under player character for cursor registration
  • Added various combat sound effects (pan-clunks!)
  • Added new destructibles (Stones, stools, ...)
  • Changed rarity of some map variations
  • Small improvements to the item spawners and item pools
  • Countless balancing tweaks to equipment. (and some name changes)
UI & Career changes
  • Addition of map images in career menu match options
  • Added colour customisation on backstory selection
  • Added two new music tracks
  • Updated the character platform in career menu
  • Camera angle, map, shop layout and stamina regeneration adjustments for career menu
  • Sped up animations on victory fame and favor panels
  • General UI/UX changes in career menu for better user experience (for Controller especially)
  • Revision of the Tutorial. Updated and revised dialogs and videos for controller and third person mode
  • Updated and expanded keybinds menu
  • Added camera sensitivity sliders to game options
  • Added game options to auto-show nearby items overlay when unarmed
  • Updated the credits!
Graphics changes
  • Map updates to suit Third Person Mode
  • New pit day-time variation
  • Small upgrades to the spectators
  • Added some stools for spectators to sit on in various maps
Bugfixes & other
  • Added basic anonymous telemetry to the game (opt out in Game Options any time)
  • Fixed bug where AI would run right into you when trying to flank
  • Fixed bug where throwing weapons would sometimes lose collission
  • Fixed bug where pick up decals were warped
  • Fixed bug where characters could get stuck in Stadium spikes variation map
  • Fixed a bug where shop fame unlocks were not permanent
  • Added the Bronze Gathaldaka correctly to the shop
  • Various minor Tutorial map, UI and audio fixes
  • Lowered the volume on spike traps in the Pit map
  • Corrected the fame cost for unlocking additional fights
  • Fixed a bug where gear took too much damage on each uninsured match
  • Fixed a bug where you got stuck in Terantia City Center map
  • Fixed (hopefully) issue where enemy got stuck outside bounds and was not teleporting
  • Cleaned up the buggy amount of items in Linolian Theatre and Stadium maps
  • Fixed various UI bugs on main menu options
  • Battlemenu skulls can now go up to 4 or more (Lionslayer)
  • Fixed the bug where the AutoCam setting was not correctly saved and loaded
  • Many many many more!

And probably some more stuff, its hard to keep track!
If you made it this far, congrats! Let me know your thoughts in a comment.

And as always -we who are about to die salute you,
Jordy

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/973230/view/3817424410906675638
UPDATE: Anniversary Update OUT NOW! + 25% discount
It's the first anniversary of the game! To celebrate, here's an update + discount to go with it!
990f70bc69368ed5e13c1b2384e6238dc3ac5e3e.gif

Fellow Aspirants!
One year ago today
, I released We Who Are About To Die into Early Access.

I almost can't believe it. At the time, I was a complete mess - years of work and total uncertainty. One "release button" between me and the scenario I had been both fantasising about and dreading for so long. To say things went well, is an understatement.
My life has completely changed.
The last year has been incredible - I took a much needed break, went to GDC and Gamescom for the first time, met dozens of local and international game devs, learned an unbelievable amount of new stuff (
fast
), and most importantly: the team expanded - 3 core members and 10+ contractors have worked on the game in the last year! - We've released several updates including a major update

To celebrate the anniversary, v0.25, a continuation of the Combat Controls Update is
out now!
The game is also 25% off to celebrate, so its a great time to share it around.

Thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart for your support and enthusiasm for this weird gladiator game.

Newsletter!
We are already full force planning & working on the next Major Update - there are many exciting things to come for both WWAATD and future projects for many years to come. We're starting a newsletter where we will inform you of any massive updates, game studio developments and new games we might be making.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Subscribe here:
https://subscribe.jordylakiere.net/Newsletter
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Anniversary Update - WWAATD EA v0.25
Full Changelog
This update is a continuation of the Combat Controls Update. It focuses on combat responsiveness, stability, physics tweaking, UI and QoL improvements.

243f0c018a7b65c4228e7c4a8b52cf5fe3f96390.gif

Changes and additions
MAJOR
  • New
    map variation: Lion's Roar
  • New
    Godly 1h Axe: Vultura
  • New
    Godly 1h Mace: Maladorn
  • New
    Godly Spear: Imperius
  • New
    Godly Shield: Lion’s Echo
  • New
    Godly Polearm: Thundaka
  • New
    Godly Armor: Exalted Helm
  • New
    Godly Armor: Exalted Armplates
  • New
    Godly Armor: Exalted Legplates
  • Added updated blocking system for melee weapons in Third Person Mode
  • Updated attack animations across the board
MINOR
  • Audience is more dynamic and rotates towards the action
  • Audience is more responsive to player’s cheers after winning a fight
  • Added new character graphics and code LOD system (performance boost)
  • Added audience framerate LODs (performance boost)
  • Made sideways character movement in the entrance sequence less sensitive
fc72b1a2831b0ff65ee1ef0fc8c7fd0daf7e8f0a.gif

Combat changes
  • Attack animations and body mechanics have been tweaked to improve attack telegraphing and increase attack consistency. Attacks will now be directed slightly more towards the center of the screen
  • Changing attack direction mid-animation now requires a larger countermovement in Third Person Mode
  • Improved combat walking animation
7a55cf2e40bded34eba65608b5fb00f4a152f016.gif

Balance changes
  • Max stamina reduction caused by your health only starts to apply once your health drops below 60% (down from 100%)
  • Attack speed is lowered once your stamina drops below 80% (down from 100%)
  • Executor now has a higher max stamina
  • AI characters now attempt to move closer to the player to account for weapons with less range
  • Throwing attacks have a much higher chance to disarm shields
  • Melee attacks have a slightly higher chance to disarm shields
  • Slightly increased stun durations on shield bash and kick
  • Shield bash stun duration is now scaled by shield size and skill as well.
  • Slightly increased throwing timing window for spears
3b7133a32d1197e5a44c5cbcdfe5366a0c5cc509.gif

UI Changes
  • Added a weapon flash/glow when the attack is fully readied (quick flicks do less damage)
  • Added a lock icon and animation to indicate when the player's attack direction has been locked
  • The “damage cross” icon from Classic Mode is now also present in Third Person Mode
  • Added blocking cursor icon UI in Third Person Mode
  • The BattleMenu has been restructured and has Widescreen support now (in theory)
  • Heirloom auxiliary slot tag now shows up as "INVALID" when the item in it is too rare
  • Stamina bar now clearly shows the "low stamina" threshold
  • Stamina bar now displays the max stamina reduction caused by events and training
  • Combat tips are now also shown on loading screens
  • Added character name to victory screen
  • Game Options have been restructured to improve clarity
  • Rank progression bar has been made lighter

Bugfixes
  • Fixed the issue where the game didn't register the "any key" press at the start
  • Fixed some resolution issues on the Battle Menu
  • Fixed an exploit where you could infinitely trigger "investment" by going to the main menu and back
  • Fixed an issue where the Thrill Seeker Civilian fee would be applied every time you loaded your game, regardless of whether it was already paid
  • Fixed an issue where "Reset To Defaults" in Game Options would only reset certain options
  • Fixed an issue where kicks would not correctly cause knockbacks
  • Fixed light errors on Lion's Roar
  • Battle gold rewards now include gains from bets
  • Fixed an issue where Patron Favour display would not be updated after bribery
  • Invert y-axis setting now doesn't reset on load
  • Reduced the amount of situations where your spear would be flipped
  • "Cheer" now works on controller
  • Various minor audience fixes and tweaks
  • Gold and fame rewards are now saved when exiting the game mid-battle
  • The training gear to pay is now saved when exiting the game mid-battle
  • Fixed some issues where controller wouldn't navigate the UI correctly
  • Fixed an issue where you could reveal battle option info over and over on gamepad
  • Fixed an issue where you could select and activate locked battle option
  • Fixed an issue where the time statistics would be displayed incorrectly
  • Fixed many small UI bugs
  • Many many more.... as usual

As usual there is definitely tons we missed, go check it out for yourself!
Thank you again, and let me know your thoughts in a comment.

As always - we who are about to die salute you,
Jordy

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Demo is fun so far, but the combat physics feel kinda floaty. Runs stable and bugfree which is impressive for a 1 man EA game.
Overall my first impression is decent, but the game is still inferior to Colloseum on the PS2.
This was how I felt too. It's decent for a 1-man project, but the combat lacks oomph IMO, unlike DBTS or even M&B. Maybe I need to spend more time with it, but I refunded it after 90 minutes because I needed the money for something else and anyway I doubt I'll be spending much time with this in its current state. I see the potential, but atm it just feels too floaty for me.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/973230/view/4128183566046960241
The Spectacles Update: Preview #1! + Spring Sale Discount!
The very first look at the next major update: The Spectacles Update
Dear Aspirants!
0a94d5d24bff65ace109d46e1495ba8cd0ba6458.png

It's
finally
time to start revealing some info about the
next Major Update
- here's the long awaited
Preview #1
on
The Spectacles Update!

It has been so hard to keep quiet about what we've been cooking up day and night for months now. This has turned out to be a vast update - much bigger than the previous one.
Our core goal was to take the game and start making new content with all the existing tools and mechanics - the priority was to break up the overall game-loop with special scenarios and events.
That said, the update has turned out to revamp pretty much every area of the game including making some very fundamental changes. In short -
hold on to your Daka's and Chaka's, it's gonna be a big one.

Rare Fights!
Introducing a totally new mechanic:
Rare Fights
! Sometimes
brand new special events
will pop up. These rare events have a very special reward which I will get into in a later Preview.

4c81c6c5ff07f8505a92231cfba0f67824c33bc5.png

For this preview I wanted to showcase 2 of the possible rare events:

Rare Fight - Tournaments! (And Grand Tournaments)
At certain times of the year, Terantia transforms for its festivities - and with those come Tournaments and Grand Tournaments. Some die-hards out there will know tournaments are actually making a comeback from the pre-release playtest. That said, we've added multiple bespoke tournament map variations and the mechanics have also changed.
In short, in tournaments you will fight multiple rounds with a break in between, until there is one man standing. They are large challenging fights of endurance you should prepare carefully for.

2537334ca2cbe36ccb31bf258cb2af392294cf59.png

f27ac97e0a12cd19b46f20e306f0ed8ea96e3062.png

Rare Fight -Draft
d561b410eb2942c68176d8631f4780b7d1200265.png

The imperial Hanian army will sometimes recruit and draft soldiers including even Terantian Aspirants. When fighting for the military you take a step out of the arena and fight the enemies of the Empire for some Hanian coin.

Draft will take you to the battlefield. We inspired this mode heavily on classic PS2 games, where you are fighting in a limited area (the rest of the Legion is fighting outside the play area) and you and your squad fight many enemies until the day is won!

8a0dd7652ece1ad4da4bf6e2a0a60e0326ce2899.png

Audio Overhaul
The update will feature a complete audio overhaul -- from bespoke footstep sounds for different floor surfaces to
all new
combat sounds.
To go with this is a new material system under the hood, so wood clashing on metal sounds different to metal on cloth, and so on. Armor for example now also makes a sound when you just move around, depending on the armor type. Many things that had no sound or custom sound before now do.
This is just a footnote here, but the overhaul involves literally hundreds of new high quality assets (much higher than before), the vast majority handmade!

7484f20263bc1f84dce1c3fc828cf6fcce8e64c6.png

2e4ef7ca8a09ebacb734e6d790a8995258dea9c9.png

There is so
much more
, stay tuned for the next previews as we continue polishing the update. In the meantime, we'd
love
to read your thoughts and even your speculations about what else might be in the update - plenty of hints have been dropped here and there!

Note everything you see in this post is still under construction! Here's some more screenshots to wrap it up:

92136a0ae8d34374ce16d8ab523a1fe733516be9.png

350b771d48ab0218904c09135516d07c038f3f89.png

Final note - tomorrow the
Spring Sale
starts and the game will be 30% off!

Want to
stay up to date
on the game and studio's development?

As always,

Jordy Lakiere

PS. I will be at GDC next week in San Francisco! Any lurking developers and game industry folks who might want to meet up -- reach out to me in a Discord DM!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom