Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird West: Definitive Edition - top-down immersive sim action-RPG from Arkane founder Raf Colantonio

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Bla bla bla I'm retarded bascially bla bla bla
Human Revolution and Mankind Divided aren't immersive sims (but what do I know, they are first person so maybe). Neither are Thief 3 and Thief 4 (but again, according to some specimens on this "prestigious site" it is first person so that's debatable as well).
At the time of launch those figures might have given the devs and publishers some hope that they hit gold and that's why we got some amazing follow ups and after that....here we are today. See the latest Game Awards to get a better idea of what the industry is now. Oh wait, you can't because that stuff is 4 hours long or so and you can't watch or listen to a 14 minutes long video.
These games need to be successful if we want to see more of them. There's a reason (money) no one is making them. Breath of the Wild is an open world imsim and it was successful only because Zelda franchise and Nintendo. 2 known brands. Ubisoft decided to copy paste it with their retarded Fenyx Rising not understanding what made BotW so good in the first place. Phantom Pain was also an imsim and Ubisoft made their own version of it with Ghost Recon Wildlands, again not understanding why the Kojima game was actually good and their game was actually shit. Just 2 examples. Look at Arkane. From Arx Fatalis, to Dark Messiah, Dishonored, Prey, to.....Deathloop, a shooter. What do you think Redfall is gonna be? The industry isn't going towards imsims, but away from them.
Ah, but don't you worry, there's Otherside Entertainment here to save the day. Underworld Ascendant was first person after all.
And what the fuck did I say to stop replying to me? I feel my IQ draining to your quantum sized brain every time you say something.

Gargaune

Magister
Human Revolution and Mankind Divided aren't immersive sims (but what do I know, they are first person so maybe). Neither are Thief 3 and Thief 4 (but again, according to some specimens on this "prestigious site" it is first person so that's debatable as well).
At the time of launch those figures might have given the devs and publishers some hope that they hit gold and that's why we got some amazing follow ups and after that....here we are today. See the latest Game Awards to get a better idea of what the industry is now. Oh wait, you can't because that stuff is 4 hours long or so and you can't watch or listen to a 14 minutes long video.
These games need to be successful if we want to see more of them. There's a reason (money) no one is making them. Breath of the Wild is an open world imsim and it was successful only because Zelda franchise and Nintendo. 2 known brands. Ubisoft decided to copy paste it with their retarded Fenyx Rising not understanding what made BotW so good in the first place. Phantom Pain was also an imsim and Ubisoft made their own version of it with Ghost Recon Wildlands, again not understanding why the Kojima game was actually good and their game was actually shit. Just 2 examples. Look at Arkane. From Arx Fatalis, to Dark Messiah, Dishonored, Prey, to.....Deathloop, a shooter. What do you think Redfall is gonna be? The industry isn't going towards imsims, but away from them.
Ah, but don't you worry, there's Otherside Entertainment here to save the day. Underworld Ascendant was first person after all.
Fucking gold, it really is the season to be giving! Bless you, you barmy fuck, I'm quoting this now so you don't get to delete it later.

And what the fuck did I say to stop replying to me?
And I said no.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I would be worried if I were Wolfeye. It's really missing the mark on convincing players who the game is made for. I don't see it selling well even if it turned out to be great.

Par for the course for every Arkane game except Dishonored which probably only sold well because it was released in a bit of a dry year. :lol: Raph is surely used to it by now.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Par for the course for every Arkane game except Dishonored which probably only sold well because it was released in a bit of a dry year. Raph is surely used to it by now.
Yeah, Even Redfall which isn't released still. When Arkane released the trailer, players downvoted it because they fooled themselves by thinking Redfall stands for TESVI. Ralph wasn't too happy about the Prey name. Seems Arkane has some bad omen about their games.

Dishonored 2 was profitable, just not to the the degree the suits wanted it to be. I believe Prey also ultimately made a profit, but it was considered a massive disappointment sales-wise at launch.

Immersive sim is just buzzword bullshit, a dumb smart sounding way to talk about systematic elements in games. It also seems to have been a negative, as now having these kind of systematic elements in a game (at least western developed games) can be sectioned off and regulated into its own style of game as opposed to before the term where systematic elements of some type were more just a regular part of ever evolving games. At the least it's a nagative because now you've got to hear or see people talking about what is and isn't a immersive sim like its some kind of genre.

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
Isn't "immersive" too subjective to put in a genre description? It's like having "cool fps", ""interesting strategy" "funny adventure" etc. as genres

You can dislike the “immersive sim” label all you want (it’s definitely clunky and inelegant to say the least), but the reality is it’s useful to have a title for the specific subgenre. Calling SS2 or Deus Ex an FPS or RPG is misleading and also inelegant.

Gargaune

Magister
Isn't "immersive" too subjective to put in a genre description? It's like having "cool fps", ""interesting strategy" "funny adventure" etc. as genres
Yes, it's an unfortunate choice of words, but that's what we got and it's too late to do anything about it.

You can dislike the “immersive sim” label all you want (it’s definitely clunky and inelegant to say the least), but the reality is it’s useful to have a title for the specific subgenre. Calling SS2 or Deus Ex an FPS or RPG is misleading and also inelegant.
Precisely, that's what I keep harping on about, there's value in a term that collectively designates your Deus Exes and System Shocks and so on. Otherwise, if "immersive sim" simply translates to "game where shit does other shit in a sorta believable manner", then Rusty's right and the term is meaningless. Please, Codex, do we really wanna be a forum where Rusty's right?

Silentstorm

Learned
Did that Devolver Digital guy say they are used to making Immersive Sims?

...Did Devolver Digital get a team of staff from Arkane or some other developer and i didn't know it, not that i think Arkane makes immersive sims all that much, but Devolver Digital is just not a studio i think of for immersive sims.

This is the closest considering what i know of games they made and published.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom