Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird West: Definitive Edition - top-down immersive sim action-RPG from Arkane founder Raf Colantonio

Codex Year of the Donut
It can't be one because there is no such thing as an "immersive sim"
Solving problems using ingame mechanics is not a fucking genre.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
no-no-no-no.gif

Codex Year of the Donut
Maybe they could say something like "our game isn't as trash as 99% of the market and lets you think up your own solutions" rather than inventing a non-genre to describe games made for people with above room temperature IQ.

distant

Learned
"Simulation" "Systems" "Simulation!" "Systems!!"

Shut up, Raph.

I can get excited listening to someone being passionate about systems and mechanics as the selling point for a game, it's how it should be. Beats "4K, raytracing, open world, procedural generation" and all the other shit that tell me nothing about how the game plays.

Art-style kind of reminds me of Desperados 3, I don't love the screenshots but if the game is really good I can get into it.

Gargaune

Magister
Friendly reminder that BG3's EA has plenty of "oooOoh systeeeeemc" gameplay like Weird West does, but no one, neither games journalists nor Swen himself have called it an "isometric immersive sim." And the reason the former lot didn't is because the latter didn't, and the latter didn't because it isn't. The term's an oxymoron. The only reason journos keep bleating about Weird West being one is because Colantonio deftly planted that sexy, albeit incorrect marketing idea. And by "deftly", I mean he mentioned it once or twice, because that's all it takes to get the parrots squawking.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Friendly reminder that BG3's EA has plenty of "oooOoh systeeeeemc" gameplay like Weird West does, but no one, neither games journalists nor Swen himself have called it an "isometric immersive sim." And the reason the former lot didn't is because the latter didn't, and the latter didn't because it isn't. The term's an oxymoron. The only reason journos keep bleating about Weird West being one is because Colantonio deftly planted that sexy, albeit incorrect marketing idea. And by "deftly", I mean he mentioned it once or twice, because that's all it takes to get the parrots squawking.

D:OS and BG3 have a lot of simmy elements on account of Swen's love of Ultima, but they're not immersive sims because they have too many gamey "because we the designers said so" elements.

But it is!

Nah, isometric shooters have the narrow scope of just being about shooting things. WW's scope is wider.

Codex Year of the Donut
D:OS and BG3 have a lot of simmy elements on account of Swen's love of Ultima, but they're not immersive sims because they have too many gamey "because we the designers said so" elements.
fake news
they're not immersive sims because it doesn't exist, "immersive sim" should be the lowest standard for world interactions in an RPG

LJ40

Cipher
fake news
they're not immersive sims because it doesn't exist, "immersive sim" should be the lowest standard for world interactions in an RPG
Take it up with Warren Spector. He started all this.

Codex Year of the Donut
fake news
Take it up with Warren Spector. He started all this.
I will as soon as I can find the weasel.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
fake news

Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian/Bioware didn't follow Origin/Looking Glass's design principles, they had different priorities.

Codex Year of the Donut
fake news

Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian/Bioware didn't follow Origin/Looking Glass's design principles, they had different priorities.
And they were wrong. "Immersive sim" just describes basic D&D problem solving.

Gargaune

Magister
Correct, and you know what I'm gonna say one of those principles is, don't you? :smug:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Correct, and you know what I'm gonna say one of those principles is, don't you?

The Outer Worlds is first person, not even an optional third person view like Bethesda games, and yet it follows the Fallout/Arcanum/Bloodlines lineage. :)

Gargaune

Magister
The Outer Worlds is first person, not even an optional third person view like Bethesda games, and yet it follows the Fallout/Arcanum/Bloodlines lineage. :)
But I never said any genre or school of design needs to stay glued to a given camera perspective, just that this one does. My argument isn't that perspective sets genres apart, but that this particular category needs certain elements, including FPP, to achieve its goals.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
This is fucking why Weird West will be an immerssive sim, you absolute fucking apes.
Listen to the part where he talks about systems.

And then look at the various Weird West videos, the short ones where they actually show and explain gameplay creativity through simulation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom