Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you guys think of Hexplore?

Farewell into the night

I think I've played it in the past. Didn't fibnished, tho.

The Red Knight

Erudite
Why does a game with hex in the name use square grid?
:decline:
It's about some evil wizard stealing a book on hexes and the gamers being in peril because of that.

1000 AD, a world of lost treasures and forgotten realms. In this world, a secret brotherhood of dark sorcerers is searching for a secret manuscript called the book of Hexplore. This book reveals the precise location of the Garden of Eden, the source of the Divine Knowledge. Foreseeing the danger, 4 heroes decide to save the precious book. The fight for Eden begins...

Gaznak

Learned
The best Gauntlet-like game that isn't Gauntlet. I'm now gathering my mental strength to try to play it through from start to finish. Previous score of times was not succesful :P

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Hexplore on GOG $1.82
It is working well on my Windows 10. No need for DosBox.
Simple, real-time hack'n'slah. I enjoyed in '98, but after the while I became frustrated and gave up. I am curious what will happen now. Older. slower reflex and more impatient. :-D

Last edited:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I enjoyed in '98, but after the while I became frustrated and gave up. I am curious what will happen now.
So am I. Let us know what you think. I managed to finish it back in the day but AFAIR it gets more frustrating with each level and it soon turns into a matter of dodging traps and picosecond timing moves rather than any real hack'n'slash. Plus, your weapons "level up", not your characters. Not my kind of game.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
I enjoyed in '98, but after the while I became frustrated and gave up. I am curious what will happen now.
So am I. Let us know what you think. I managed to finish it back in the day but AFAIR it gets more frustrating with each level and it soon turns into a matter of dodging traps and picosecond timing moves rather than any real hack'n'slash. Plus, your weapons "level up", not your characters. Not my kind of game.
Yeah, I remember 1 thing, a big chamber full of shooting columns those I was not able to avoid.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
One more difficulty: the 3D camera. Usually you cannot see a thing in the narrow rooms/corridors. This game would be much better using Diablo isometric view.
Hexplore is interesting because has more tactical option using a party.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
One more difficulty: the 3D camera. Usually you cannot see a thing in the narrow rooms/corridors. This game would be much better using Diablo isometric view.
Hexplore is interesting because has more tactical option using a party.
You can fight using a party. Somehow that is a little messy. So I play solo using my archer. The other ones are in reserve. The archer usually run out of arrows, so I changed to using the sorceress. So I can kill the 99% of enemies. But I am on only Level2 yet.
It is annoying somewhere I missed 4 chests on Level2. Online maps would be great to check them at the end of levels.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
I have finished it! :smug:
It was a good game.
Last time I played until the Level 6. That is where the auto targeting shooting columns appears. Anyway I could not remember a thing after 25 years.

This time the game was easy. I had not used the life vials. My sorcerer was healing everyone.
+the invisibilty and protection spells feel like cheating.
In the beginning there was some party tactical battles. Later became a solo game, sorcerer healing at the back.
Every 4 class were viable for combat.

Great huge dungeons with puzzles.

Cons: 3D with constant camera rotating. I got tendonitis again. I have to finish the game using my left hand.
Outdoor areas were somehow simple. But they have the good size, were not overly big.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom