Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you guys think of this old PSX era graphics?

deama

Prophet

Does anyone actually miss these?
I kinda like it, but it's missing a few important features. For example there's no scanlines in it, they need to insert them inbetween the pixels (not overlay them).
And maybe possibly the wobble (would need to see that in action).

Lemming42

Arcane
Always thought that style looked hideous, used to LAUGH at my console kiddy friends and smugly point to smooth-looking PC titles. The only real advantage of PS1 visuals was the awful draw distance making some games feel more desolate and creepy than they otherwise would.

As I feel that objective beauty exists and is a fact, so too must games adhere to such standards. My question is, what level of graphical fidelity and visual aesthetic meets that standard?. What game can you call beautiful, and appealing in both it's design and artistry?. No PS1 games meet that standard, so PS1 games can't really look "good".

Chuck Norris

Augur
Always thought that style looked hideous, used to LAUGH at my console kiddy friends and smugly point to smooth-looking PC titles. The only real advantage of PS1 visuals was the awful draw distance making some games feel more desolate and creepy than they otherwise would.
Yeah, the only context this style works in is horror.

lvl 2 Blue Slime

Educated
I don't really have nostalgia for low-res 3D models; what really triggers my nostalgia are 2D sprites in 3D environments, like Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, etc.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Low res 3D can effectively build an atmosphere but I'm not particular on needing PS1 specific graphical glitches, which modern PS1 style games often try to emulate.

I just want something that looks like Quake or Thief 1.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Artistically speaking it is it's own thing, it has it's place in history and there will be people which will copy this style and even transform it to their liking.

Am I fan of this PSX 3D style? It fwwlasdirt and has this kind of specific grit to it. It has it's charm, but I prefere looking at it from a distance, top view or isometric.

ind33d

Learned
PS1 always looked hideous. Why they didn't just go with Daggerfall-style fake 3D or just 2D top down boggles the mind. Same with Mode 7 on SNES looking worse than just leaving the damn game flat

PS1 always looked hideous. Why they didn't just go with Daggerfall-style fake 3D or just 2D top down boggles the mind. Same with Mode 7 on SNES looking worse than just leaving the damn game flat
It was more or less a period of education for an industry that had been used to 2D game design, a way for them to get experienced and comfortable with making 3D games. Without it, they may have been worse off overall.

Machocruz

Arcane
you're really late, the style is passé again and on its way out if anything
Just in the last couple years we had Alisa, Bloodborne demake, Nightmare of Decay, Sirena Expedition, Lunistice and lots of other forgettable trash. Signalis arguably. Nightmare Cart and Crow County just came out. Compound Fracture and a bunch of other crap I only glanced at upcoming. Who knows how many more if you really dig into the Steam catalog, current and future. I think I'm on time.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
you're really late, the style is passé again and on its way out if anything
Just in the last couple years we had Alisa, Bloodborne demake, Nightmare of Decay, Sirena Expedition, Lunistice and lots of other forgettable trash. Signalis arguably. Nightmare Cart and Crow County just came out. Compound Fracture and a bunch of other crap I only glanced at upcoming. Who knows how many more if you really dig into the Steam catalog, current and future. I think I'm on time.
thanks for reaffirming my point

goregasm

Scholar
Not a fan. I can do 8 bit, and 16 bit. I think for the most part those held up well, most of the og xbox and ps1 era graphics aged quite poorly.

There are exceptions of course. Games like Vandal hearts, fft, Tactics Ogre, vagrant story, suikoden, still look decent, but they didnt use that awful polygon 3d stuff, or used it more sparingly.

Athena

Educated
What game can you call beautiful, and appealing in both it's design and artistry?. No PS1 games meet that standard
Vagrant Story with its limitations is more beautiful than 99.9% of modern games released today, and don't even get me started with 2D and mix of 2D/3D PS1 games.

As for OP: it's not without its charm, and much better than other indie PS1-likes, but it's not a style you're gonna appreciate without having grown with it. This is the worst place to ask given its PC focus.

Old Hans

Arcane

Does anyone actually miss these?
I kinda like it, but it's missing a few important features. For example there's no scanlines in it, they need to insert them inbetween the pixels (not overlay them).
And maybe possibly the wobble (would need to see that in action).

no ps1 3d is a god awful pixel crawling eyesore. ps2 is much better

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Low res 3D can effectively build an atmosphere but I'm not particular on needing PS1 specific graphical glitches, which modern PS1 style games often try to emulate.

I just want something that looks like Quake or Thief 1.
Agreed. Quake 1 and Thief 1 have great graphics, because they are at the edge-line between "crude enough to be abstract so you can focus on the functionality" and "3D / detailed enough that you understand what you are looking at aka it's not just big triangles with colors". I think Unreal 1 is the sweet spot, but I prefer Quake out of nostalgia.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
If you think zoomers being nostalgic for PSX graphics is laughable, wait 20 years and the kids will be nostalgic for this:

iu

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom