Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you guys think of this old PSX era graphics?

I love the look of early 3D games, including the PS1 titles which have a specific look to them. They were, of course, meant to be played with a CRT television, without which they can still be appreciated, but it's not the same thing. I played the PS1 RE games, Dino Crisis, SH, MGS and a few others with a small, 14" Sony Trinitron not too long ago and I was often mesmerized by how they looked. I truly believe some of those games represent an aesthetic peak.

Only a moron or a child would claim they are "outdated" without elaborating further on why that's a bad thing.

As for OP's game, I think it looks good.
But that low poly aesthetic you're thinking of 'can' in fact be improved upon. The PC's low poly was leagues ahead of the PS1's low poly, just look at Quake as an example. The PS1 doesn't have a hope of rendering the models found in that game. Through technical wizardry it managed to render a significantly cut back version of Quake II, but you can see the difference. If you take a game like Metal Gear Solid, and upscale it to look like a late 90s, low poly PC game, I think you would prefer it a lot more. What you like isn't the effect of the hardware limitations of any one console, but the art and aesthetics of the games themselves. Play MGS: Integral on a PC, and whoa, it looks the same! (except for some missing effects because shitty port). The PS1 itself provides no real visual edge, unless you play it on a finely tuned CRT where the colors pop.

Ash

Arcane

You see no irony in claiming you have a life when you dedicate your time to being autistically obsessed stalking me?

Sending you a PM.

Lol, I've dedicated maybe 45 minutes of my life to fucking with you. If that. Usually when I troll you I'm doing something else at the same time.

You dedicated your life to being a weird autist, then getting bullied out of england and moving to canada(lmao). Then getting bullied out of your deus ex mod. Write another essay bro.

Also if you think this is is bad, you should see the shit I've been saying about you in the unreal/deus ex/quake modding communities. Thanks to you I introduced myself to several of your enemies(the gmdx 10.0 guys). Maybe the funniest shit ever.

"I've dedicated 45 mins of my life to you"

"I know where you live, where you used to live, have been outed as someone with 60+ posts harassing you, go into modding communities specifically looking for ammo and talking shit while you are not present"

Pretty much the definition of a sperg autist and a creep.

Shinji

Savant
Back then, artists had to do a great job with textures and vertex coloring to make the game look good.

In other words, how great your game looked was heavily dependent on how talented your artists were.

These days, it's mostly the computer that dictates that.
That is, where the shadows go, where the colors go, where the shading goes, etc.

A lot of indie developers try to follow this trend of low poly, low res graphics to cut corners and it makes their games look hideous.
Without a talented artist to pull the reins everything will look like garbage, regardless of whether the game is "retro" or not.

Yep, no hardware of any kind can truly mask the lack of talent. A skilled hand is always required, and without it you get "minimalist indie RPG about depression that's inspired by Earthbound and Mother 3" #78

Beans00

Erudite

"I've dedicated 45 mins of my life to you"

"I know where you live, where you used to live, have been outed as someone with 60+ posts harassing you, go into modding communities specifically looking for ammo and talking shit while you are not present"

Pretty much the definition of a sperg autist and a creep.

image.png

I was literally looking to see if anyone on the codex played 'gunman chronicles' and found you sperging out like 10 years ago, don't flatter yourself.

After I literally searched 'england' by 'ash', not exactly a lengthy process.

PS1 3D literally makes me sick. N64 and contemporary PC 3D is fine, but PS1's stuttering is physically unpleasant.

I had a N64 for a while and I never found a game that's pleasant to look at. Truth be told, I was playing with AV cables, which are much inferior to RGB and give everything a disgusting, smudgy look. The lack of RGB was a serious flaw of the N64.

Beans00

Erudite

I had a N64 for a while and I never found a game that's pleasant to look at. Truth be told, I was playing with AV cables, which are much inferior to RGB and give everything a disgusting, smudgy look. The lack of RGB was a serious flaw of the N64.

If anything I found the n64 to generally look cleaner than the ps1. I prefer the ps1 for games, but a lot of them seemed to have a lair of fog over them(like Morrowind). N64 games(at least the ones I played), whether it was the hardware or just by design always felt a lot cleaner.

Ash

Arcane
I had a N64 for a while and I never found a game that's pleasant to look at.

Yeah, claiming PS1 is sickening while N64 is fine is the wildest take yet.

Beans00 Wow, nice to see more creepy behavior at play. Just keep posting it for everyone to see how weird you really are :lol:

Seems Tacgnol hasn't stopped either. Creepy as fuck.

The Decline

Arcane
PS1 3D literally makes me sick. N64 and contemporary PC 3D is fine, but PS1's stuttering is physically unpleasant.

The bilinear filtering on the low res textures made everything a blurry mess. That was way worse to look at than the warping that plagued PS1 games.

Beans00

Erudite

Beans00 Wow, nice to see more creepy behavior at play. Just keep posting it for everyone to see how weird you really are :lol:

Like a dozen people have contacted me on forums or on discord basically thanking me for bullying you because nobody likes you.

Also I had the ps1, with around 35 games. I also had an n64 with around 10-15 games. PS1 games usually had more blur/fog. Whether that is a small sample size I'm not sure, but for the games I owned the n64 games generally 'looked' better.

You didn't even have a ps1 growing up, you're just coping and being a weird poser.

Ash

Arcane
What do I possibly have to gain by pretending to love classic gaming? But then again, what do you possibly have to gain by constantly lying in every thread...

I don't give a single shit if anybody likes me lol. I stand for truth, even if it makes me enemies. I would not be surprised if that part is true. I don't like most people either - creeps, weirdos, degens, idiots aplenty. So the feeling is mutual.

I love the look of early 3D games, including the PS1 titles which have a specific look to them. They were, of course, meant to be played with a CRT television, without which they can still be appreciated, but it's not the same thing. I played the PS1 RE games, Dino Crisis, SH, MGS and a few others with a small, 14" Sony Trinitron not too long ago and I was often mesmerized by how they looked. I truly believe some of those games represent an aesthetic peak.

Only a moron or a child would claim they are "outdated" without elaborating further on why that's a bad thing.

As for OP's game, I think it looks good.
But that low poly aesthetic you're thinking of 'can' in fact be improved upon. The PC's low poly was leagues ahead of the PS1's low poly, just look at Quake as an example. The PS1 doesn't have a hope of rendering the models found in that game. Through technical wizardry it managed to render a significantly cut back version of Quake II, but you can see the difference. If you take a game like Metal Gear Solid, and upscale it to look like a late 90s, low poly PC game, I think you would prefer it a lot more. What you like isn't the effect of the hardware limitations of any one console, but the art and aesthetics of the games themselves. Play MGS: Integral on a PC, and whoa, it looks the same! (except for some missing effects because shitty port). The PS1 itself provides no real visual edge, unless you play it on a finely tuned CRT where the colors pop.

I'd rather play original MGS on a real PS1 hooked to a good CRT, than an upscaled PC version on a modern monitor. As for Quake, sure, it's a PC game ported to console, but honestly I have no real opinion because I've never played it on console.

"What you like isn't the effect of the hardware limitations of any one console, but the art and aesthetics of the games themselves."

How can you separate them? The hardware limitations mold the aesthetics. It's surely possible that some of those games would've looked better on the PC, or in another console*. That's like saying some album you really like would've sounded better if it was recorded in another studio. Perhaps. What's not really in dispute is that PS1 games have a specific aesthetic, and in some cases it works to great effect. Everyone seems to agree on SH, at least, and I think this has to do with the perception that "psychological horror" = art(just like B&W movies = art), so the limitations of the PS1 are seen as working to its benefit, but why not show the same deference to other great games of the console?

*I guess you can compare non-exclusives, such as RE and Tomb Raider, but even then, I don't think you'll find a final answer. There are lots of little details besides polygon count and resolution.

YCCCM7

Literate
What do I possibly have to gain by pretending to love classic gaming? But then again, what do you possibly have to gain by constantly lying in every thread...

I don't give a single shit if anybody likes me lol. I stand for truth, even if it makes me enemies. I would not be surprised if that part is true. I don't like most people either - creeps, weirdos, degens, idiots aplenty. So the feeling is mutual.
You disrespected my version of the mod and all the positive changes I have made. You are insecure, and with extremely poor taste.

If anything I found the n64 to generally look cleaner than the ps1. I prefer the ps1 for games, but a lot of them seemed to have a lair of fog over them(like Morrowind). N64 games(at least the ones I played), whether it was the hardware or just by design always felt a lot cleaner.

Some games clearly benefit from the "fog"(SH, MGS, Vagrant Story); that is, if we're talking about the same thing. Mind you, back then we didn't want games to look "clean", rather the opposite. A lot of PS1 games have this look of dirt and decay. The MGS military base looks dirty and worn out compared to what you see in the next game, for example. The catacombs of Vagrant Story feel very old. The cars in Gran Turismo and Driver look used, etc., etc.

Ash

Arcane
The fog a.k.a limited draw distance is not universal to all PS1 3D games, and also exists in numerous N64 games. There are many PS1 games with none. There are also PC games from the 90s with limited draw distance too. And yes, a hell of a lot of games benefited from it. Morrowind was mentioned and that is one such game, even as late as 2003.

The misperception that all PS1 games were fog-laden while the N64 was not likely stems from the fact that the PS1 has approximately 10x the number of games made for it, as well as many PS1 games being more graphically-demanding than those on the N64 (thus the need for limited draw distance). Also as always the fact that people don't actually play games but LOVE to talk bullshit nonsense.

Last edited:

Athena

Educated
13asdq.jpg

The foggy one with dogshit draw distance is the N64 version. But this is becoming now a console war thread.

Beans00

Erudite
13asdq.jpg

The foggy one with dogshit draw distance is the N64 version. But this is becoming now a console war thread.

Doesn't matter if it had fog or not, that was one of the worst games ever made. By even playing it you automatically lose.

Which brings to one of the best parts of the ps1

Dumb ass nintendo didn't want any 2d games on the n64. So we got some really beautiful 2d games in the 32 bit systems.

The Decline

Arcane
13asdq.jpg

Doesn't matter if it had fog or not, that was one of the worst games ever made. By even playing it you automatically lose.

Dumb ass nintendo didn't want any 2d games on the n64. So we got some really beautiful 2d games in the 32 bit systems.

It also gave us this gem.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
I really liked Silver's (1999) graphics at the time, if that counts. I haven't replayed it since, but from what I've seen, I think it's held up pretty well, visually.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I don't mind those old school 3D graphics, but what I actually miss was the unique pre-rendered graphical style of many PS1 games. If you experienced it you know what i'm talking about. The backgrounds of Resident Evil are full of this style, but it is not the only example by far.

Legend of Mana was a PS1 game and I think it's one of the best looking games of all time, but that is purely because something about the artstyle just does it for me

Beans00

Erudite
13asdq.jpg

It also gave us this gem.

I had mm8 aswell, jump jump slide slide stings my brain more than dr wahwee. At least the cutscenes were funny in mm8.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Clearly, Tomb Raider is a product of its time in regards to technology, but the game design is superior to, well pretty much everything in its genre;
Tomb Raider was pretty impressive for it's time considering it was one of the first attempts to make something like Prince of Persia in a 3D space.
What modern platformers would you recommend in its stead?
You mean that don't have "Mario" in the title?
The PC's low poly was leagues ahead of the PS1's low poly, just look at Quake as an example.
Probably true, and that has a lot to do with the nature of the PC versus consoles since PCs have a somewhat modular hardware system and a PSX will always be a PSX. How many 3Dfx cards did glQuake sell? People just tossed those in their existing machines, meanwhile the PSX is still just a PSX. I doubt too many people play the original software render with Quake today, unless they're playing the source port on a NintendoDS(Yes, it exists). Not to mention you simply couldn't do something like a glQuake on the PSX because it was a closed system when it came to software. What's on that CD is what you'll be playing.

That said, yeah, early console 3D was pretty blocky. Remember Virtua Fighter? Fantastic game, but the screenshots are pretty bad. Also, I'd like to give props to id's artists at the time making that game age better than a lot of the console 3D games. They did a lot with really, REALLY low resolution textures. Didn't Quake just use 128x128x8bit textures?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom