Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you guys think of this old PSX era graphics?

The Decline

Arcane
I prefer well done PS1 style graphics over N64 style graphics as far as retro console 3D goes

Ash

Arcane
What game can you call beautiful, and appealing in both it's design and artistry?. No PS1 games meet that standard, so PS1 games can't really look "good".

Look at all the ignorant graphics whores we have on this forum. The smug ignorance is nauseating. The PS1 has some of the best-looking games TO DATE. Not to mention some of the best game design - what actually matters. As usual it's disappointing how many opinionated normie simpletons are here. I really tire of the stupid bullshit that comes out of gamer's mouths.

3e983cfca3b4fb2e44bdd839e1f88491.gif

gyVhroJ.gif

airback-3.gif

Image2.jpg

18-capture_15042011_232942.jpg

What a pathetic, pitiful thread. The PS1 is itself one half of the golden age, the other being late 90s PC gaming. If you haven't experienced these both, you pretty much aren't a respectable gamer in my book. I played it all, the nintendos, the segas, the xboxes, they all aren't even close. It is to date the best console in terms of library. Fix this now, otherwise your perspective is fucking trash.

Now as for PS1 3D graphics specifically, absolutely it wasn't always pretty, but the technical limitations in a lot of cases worked in the games favor + the game design is superior to modern games in a lot of cases so WHO CARES.

MasterofThunder

Notice how the screenshots you posted all contain pre-rendered backgrounds. I suppose the best the Sony PlayStation can do is render blurry JPEGs on screen?. If that is the benchmark, many platforms could render such visuals, including PCs at the time. Even the lowly Sega Saturn. Not to mention that, no, a lot of PS1 games have not aged well in the gameplay department. Very few have. And those that did, tend to be mechanically simple, like Crash Bandicoot or any 2D games produced for the console. Those are appealing, but hardly beautiful and awe-inspiring.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
PSX and N64 looked fine for the time. They look like shit now but early 3d had to start somewhere. 3d games on the pc back then look bad today aswell.

Ash

Arcane
Notice how the screenshots you posted all contain pre-rendered backgrounds.

Duh. I specifically chose games with emphasis on pre-rendering. And? As for "blurry", that isn't what they look like on original hardware and CRT.

many platforms could render such visuals, including PCs at the time.

They did. And they are also beautiful games in a lot of cases. This is not about PC vs PS1. PC always wins. This is PS1 versus other consoles as well as modern gaming.

no, a lot of PS1 games have not aged well in the gameplay department.

Such as? Castlevania SotN is still one of the best metroidvanias. Tomb Raider is still a remarkable example of 3D gaming that most modern games fail to live up to. Final Fantasy remains superior to pretty much all JRPG. Resident Evil is still as playable as it was back then. All the 100 PC ports on the machine are still awesome. There's tons of arcade-like games that play perfectly fine e.g Street Fighter. Crash Bandicoot? GTFO of here, it was a mid game then and it is a mid game now.

I never said everything "holds up", not that I believe in such a concept. Good game design is eternal. Bad games then are bad games now. Good games then are good games now, and better than most modern shit. Holds up to what standard? Assassin's Creed, Halo, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Ghost of Popamole, Bioshock, Nu God of War and Gears of War? Trash.

You think Halo singleplayer is good. Opinion is null and void.

Last edited:

MasterofThunder

Notice how the screenshots you posted all contain pre-rendered backgrounds.

Duh. I specifically chose games with emphasis on pre-rendering. And? As for "blurry", that isn't what they look like on original hardware and CRT.

many platforms could render such visuals, including PCs at the time.

They did. And they are also beautiful games. This is not about PC vs PS1. PC always wins. This is PS1 versus other consoles as well as modern gaming.

no, a lot of PS1 games have not aged well in the gameplay department.

Such as? Castlevania SotN is still one of the best metroidvanias. Tomb Raider is still a remarkable example of 3D gaming that most modern games fail to live up to. Final Fantasy remains superior to pretty much all JRPG. Resident Evil is still as playable as it was back then. All the 100 PC ports on the machine are still awesome. Crash Bandicoot? GTFO of here, it was a mid game then and it is a mid game now.

You think Halo is good. Opinion is null and void.
Technically, pre-rendered backgrounds aren't being handled by the PS1. They are images rendered in a Silicon Graphics machine. The Silicon Graphics machine, and the artist who worked on those images, deserves all the credit. Neither the PS1, Saturn or PC versions of any of those games can be credited for the splendid imagery on display. But that's being pedantic. You are correct that some pre-rendered games are beautiful, I recently played the first Dreamfall and it was rather breathtaking.

The games you mentioned may be considered noteworthy, but I would hardly consider the likes of the original Tomb Raider to still be relevant or have aged particularly well at all. The graphics are heinously ugly, and the controls, while precise, are still stiff and cumbersome. The first Resident Evil was also surpassed by it's sequels, and it's own remake, which I 'would' consider to be beautiful. And if you think highly of Tomb Raider and the first Resident Evil, but not Halo, you must be out of your mind.

Ash

Arcane
Disgusting normie

Technically, pre-rendered backgrounds aren't being handled by the PS1. They are images rendered in a Silicon Graphics machine. The Silicon Graphics machine, and the artist who worked on those images, deserves all the credit. Neither the PS1, Saturn or PC versions of any of those games can be credited for the splendid imagery on display. But that's being pedantic.

All completely irrelevant.

but I would hardly consider the likes of the original Tomb Raider to still be relevant or have aged particularly well at all.

What modern platformers would you recommend in its stead? Clearly, Tomb Raider is a product of its time in regards to technology, but the game design is superior to, well pretty much everything in its genre; I can think of no third person 3D platformer from the past 20 years worth playing over this classic on the PS1.

MasterofThunder

Disgusting normie

Technically, pre-rendered backgrounds aren't being handled by the PS1. They are images rendered in a Silicon Graphics machine. The Silicon Graphics machine, and the artist who worked on those images, deserves all the credit. Neither the PS1, Saturn or PC versions of any of those games can be credited for the splendid imagery on display. But that's being pedantic.

All completely irrelevant.
You know, you have a real attitude problem. Just take a deep breathe, and relax.

Ash

Arcane
Like I said, I tire of shit takes and ignorance from normies. Sorry, it's not personal.

MasterofThunder

Like I said, I tire of shit takes and ignorance from normies. Sorry, it's not personal.
You assume you don't have "shit takes" and aren't yourself ignorant?. That's very prideful of you. Not liking Halo is already grounds for disqualification in my eyes.

Ash

Arcane
You assume you don't have "shit takes" and aren't yourself ignorant?

Correct. I am not the average gamer for multiple reasons e.g it's hard to be ignorant when you've played a metric fuckton of games across a wide variety of platforms. Not really something to be proud of, but it is what it is. But that alone is not what makes me informed.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
You assume you don't have "shit takes" and aren't yourself ignorant?. That's very prideful of you. Not liking Halo is already grounds for disqualification in my eyes.

Ash is a hardcore spergy autist lol. He's also a deviant and put a bunch of random depravity into various mods for games. Don't bother arguing with him. He's also an old school game poser, guy only guy a pc in like 2007, he's a run of the mill consoletard like 'normies' he shits on.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Where do you live beans? You can't just go around claiming someone is a pedophile because you don't like them. I don't really care about most of the shit you make up about me but that is crossing the line. Since I don't believe in karma; thats for idiots, accept my challenge to fight me like a man you creepy little weasel.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
Where do you live beans? You can't just go around claiming someone is a pedophile because you don't like them. Since I don't believe in karma; thats for idiots, accept my challenge to fight me like a man you creepy little weasel.

If you're serious about that I'll happily step into a boxing ring with you or spar martial arts with you. As long as you come to me since you're the one crying.

I'm going to be honest with you though right now. I'm not going to hurt you that badly, because I don't want to deal with any legal repercussions. At some point, probably within 30-45 seconds I will either knock you down, or choke you out. I will pee in your mouth afterwards and force you to swallow.

I just want you to know those are the stakes. If you're serious about this, those are my terms and the consequences.

deama

Prophet
The great boxing match between Ash and Beans, and it will be filmed in ps1 authentic pixel graphics, for maximum autism.

Ash

Arcane
I'm serious. In which city of what country do you live?

The great boxing match between Ash and Beans, and it will be filmed in ps1 authentic pixel graphics, for maximum autism.

British mongrel. I never said the PS1 is graphically important across the board. There's just a handful of games that remain some of the prettiest the industry ever produced, that's all, and that the 3D games may be ugly but they offer superior game design to modern popamole in a lot of cases. Don't shoot the messenger of truth. That's all I ever stand for.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded

I'm in the states right now, if you want to man up you can send me a private message lol. I'm not just going to dox myself randomly to some spergy sexual predator. If you want we can sort out details, you can make travel arrangements. I guess you don't have much of a life going on if you can drop everything to get beat up by me. We will obviously need to exchange some contact information.

I'm not complaining. It will have to be on a weekend, because I have stuff going on in my life besides wooping modders.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Where do you live beans? You can't just go around claiming someone is a pedophile because you don't like them. I don't really care about most of the shit you make up about me but that is crossing the line. Since I don't believe in karma; thats for idiots, accept my challenge to fight me like a man you creepy little weasel.
:planetickets:

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
:planetickets:

Yeah ash is the toughest guy on the codex, who went crying to the mods/admins, then cried even more when most of them laughed at him.

So tough he got usurped from his shitty deus ex mod and had his shit stolen(then improved) lol.

Ash

Arcane

I'm in the states right now, if you want to man up you can send me a private message lol. I'm not just going to dox myself randomly to some spergy sexual predator. If you want we can sort out details, you can make travel arrangements. I guess you don't have much of a life going on if you can drop everything to get beat up by me. We will obviously need to exchange some contact information.

I'm not complaining. It will have to be on a weekend, because I have stuff going on in my life besides wooping modders.

You see no irony in claiming you have a life when you dedicate your time to being autistically obsessed stalking me?

Sending you a PM.

deuxhero

Arcane
PS1 3D literally makes me sick. N64 and contemporary PC 3D is fine, but PS1's stuttering is physically unpleasant.

I love the look of early 3D games, including the PS1 titles which have a specific look to them. They were, of course, meant to be played with a CRT television, without which they can still be appreciated, but it's not the same thing. I played the PS1 RE games, Dino Crisis, SH, MGS and a few others with a small, 14" Sony Trinitron not too long ago and I was often mesmerized by how they looked. I truly believe some of those games represent an aesthetic peak.

Only a moron or a child would claim they are "outdated" without elaborating further on why that's a bad thing.

As for OP's game, I think it looks good.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded

You see no irony in claiming you have a life when you dedicate your time to being autistically obsessed stalking me?

Sending you a PM.

Lol, I've dedicated maybe 45 minutes of my life to fucking with you. If that. Usually when I troll you I'm doing something else at the same time.

You dedicated your life to being a weird autist, then getting bullied out of england and moving to canada(lmao). Then getting bullied out of your deus ex mod. Write another essay bro.

Also if you think this is is bad, you should see the shit I've been saying about you in the unreal/deus ex/quake modding communities. Thanks to you I introduced myself to several of your enemies(the gmdx 10.0 guys). Maybe the funniest shit ever.

Ash

Arcane
I love the look of early 3D games, including the PS1 titles which have a specific look to them. They were, of course, meant to be played with a CRT television, without which they can still be appreciated, but it's not the same thing. I played the PS1 RE games, Dino Crisis, SH, MGS and a few others with a small, 14" Sony Trinitron not too long ago and I was often mesmerized by how they looked. I truly believe some of those games represent an aesthetic peak.

Only a moron or a child would claim they are "outdated" without elaborating further on why that's a bad thing.

As for OP's game, I think it looks good.

Oh thank goodness, somebody that isn't uninformed or a degenerate shitting up the place as usual.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom