Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
A lot of people on here hang shit on Call of Duty, and I really don't blame them but most of the bad name of the franchise comes from post-CoD4 titles, starting with Modern Warfare 2 when they went FULL EKBOCK and got rid of developer console, dedicated servers and mod tools and said fuck you to the competitive community (actually called us out for making the game unenjoyable for others).

Call of Duty is built off the Quake 3 engine, which in turn has one of the best movement mechanisms of any FPS game. Tribes 1 was probably the other standout. I take it you've probably never played a Call of Duty game with the "Pro Mod" (PAM for CoD1 & 2 and Promod for CoD4). Stock Call of Duty 2 and 4 are pretty shit, but they are sublime with the competitive mod. CoD running at solid 250FPS has a very nice and fluid feel, and is much more consistent than the source engine.

What I was saying is that currently Insurgency is at the middle of the road between a tactical shooter and a faster-paced shooter, almost like it's not quite sure what it is or what it wants to be. I personally think Raven Shield is one of the biggest, if not the biggest pile of dogshit out of the Tom Clancy games and some of the controls feel a bit shitty like Raven Shield - which is a shame.

All of the older tac shooters had really slow movement, you could sprint but you were very exposed while doing so, in this you can abuse it, sprint across a door, then lean back out and pop the guy shooting you, you can spastically jump around a corner and take someone out like CoD (not many people do this mind you, but I have got quite a few kills doing that where I probably would have lost if I poked normally). That's why I was saying the game would be better if it was a bit slower (more like Ghost Recon/Sum of All Fears) or if it had blended movements / allowed you to do two move commands at once like CoD does.

Dota 2.

f9FW2.gif

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Been playing another game of Civ 2: Test of Time, this time a Large map on Emperor level, with the plan to win a military victory as the Greeks
Despite the large map, the Mongols (aka the neighbours from hell) and Germans both attacked very early, giving me a slow start. Compared to my previous game where I had an island to myself, I was set back a 1000 years in developing my civilization by having to fend off attacks.
But I prevailed, developed Monarchy ASAP, then went for Democracy and the Statue of Liberty. The plan was to switch to Democracy ASAP, build up a nice treasury and go all out on We Love Alexander Day, and then to switch to Communism which is great for military campaigns. Veteran Spies!, no corruption, using units to keep people content (or else...), and only upkeep of unit 4+ from each city makes it much easier to conduct a campaign than under Republic or Democracy.

I ended up fighting a three front war against the Persians (biggest threat), Mongols and Germans, using mainly Cavalry (and some Artillery) for attacking. But the most useful units were the Veteran Spies, with their ability to sabotage City Walls (seems they have about 50% chance of succeeding), and not least to Incite Revolts. After capturing Berling, I bought most of the other German cities in one turn.

Conducting an all out military campaign using conventional ground forces is rather time consuming, so I don't think I will try that again. Instead of switching to Communism it would most probably have been easier to just stay as Democracy and out-research the enemies, and then use superior weapons for a quicker campaign. But I like trying different strategies.

In the end I retired in 1881 when I had 95 million population, the Germans had been wiped out, and the Mongols and Persians reduced to a few cities.
The Egyptians had an island to themselves (just like when I played the Egyptians in my previous game), but never amounted to much, and the Russians kept suiciding their troops on my frontier city.

Civ 2 is definitely easier than Civ 1 IMO, and that is without even using the most unbalanced game mechanic of them all - setting up trade routes to generate vast amounts of arrows.
I still have to beat it on Deity level, though. And there also the challenge of using only one city with wich to win the Space Race.
But right now I need a break from Civ 2.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I found CoD 1 was the only one worth playing. I think twitch FPS is fucking retarded. Many people disagree with me.

I like the graw games but I don't always want to plod along at methodical pace. The RB6 games have always walked the middle ground and I enjoy these games. Insurgency feels an awful lot like an RB6 game. Most people I okay with mention the same. I suppose it just feels great because it has been many years since an FPS felt like an RB6 game. No I don't think the Vegas games really count. With insurgency the double tap feels like it is back for the first time since the RB6 v3 games.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
The Egyptians had an island to themselves (just like when I played the Egyptians in my previous game), but never amounted to much.
The exact same thing happened to me in Civ3. The Egyptians had their own island where they stayed in medieval stasis until the end of the game. Another time, they lost all their cities, but continued to survive since they had a settler aboard a ship that continued to wander the seas for 500 years.

Karmapowered

Augur
Prince of Qin.

476078-prince-of-qin-windows-screenshot-inventory-window-s.jpg

Pretty under-rated Diablo-clone (I know you can recruit up to 5 people to your team, but it still mostly plays like one) set in medieval China. A bit on the easy side of the spectrum, but still interesting and enjoyable if you're out of options for more of the same (Torchlight, Titan Quest, Dungeon Siege, etc.).

I would recommend it if you can find it, and get it running on your machine.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I found CoD 1 was the only one worth playing. I think twitch FPS is fucking retarded. Many people disagree with me.

I like the graw games but I don't always want to plod along at methodical pace. The RB6 games have always walked the middle ground and I enjoy these games. Insurgency feels an awful lot like an RB6 game. Most people I okay with mention the same. I suppose it just feels great because it has been many years since an FPS felt like an RB6 game. No I don't think the Vegas games really count. With insurgency the double tap feels like it is back for the first time since the RB6 v3 games.

Yeah I'm not huge on GRAW. I prefer the original Ghost Recon and The Sum of All Fears (basically Ghost Recon indoors). I can see why you think CoD1 is the only one worth playing, as that is the only CoD where you can play it really slow paced and get away with it. CoD2 maps are smaller and the gamestyle is a bit different so you need a bit of 'twitch' in there.

I'm enjoying playing it, but I don't think it will be a competitive fps.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Is this a case of Spec Ops the Line or what? It looks p. boring from gameplay videos.
I think if you go in with the same attitude and judgement criteria as a typical videogame, you may come away disappointed. It may not resonate with you either; it's going to be a personal thing. It's not difficult or challenging but it's not intended to be, and it lasts exactly as long as it needs to and no more - the perfect length to finish in one sitting, in fact.

It's a very unique experience that could only be achieved with a gamepad, and a narrative that could only be told with its effectiveness in the context of a videogame. I know this statement sometimes gets thrown around and often is diminished by using it in "unworthy" context, but Brothers is fundamentally something you must interact with directly to understand and appreciate.

Eh, I thought it would've made for a nice little animated movie. The interactivity adds very little to the experience, with the exception of that one moment, which is honestly rather gimmicky. Best things about Brothers are the gorgeous art, music, and an atmosphere straight out of an old fairy tale - fantastical and charming but also somewhat grim, bloody, and tragic. It's kind of hilarious that we often accuse AAA video games of trying to ape cinema and failing, while Brothers was created by an established film director, who seems to have understood how storytelling in games works better than most of our industry luminaries like Levine or Kojima.

Really, it's a pity that the actual gameplay is so thin.

I will say though, that it's nowhere near pretentious or hipster. In fact, it's really, really simple, just very well executed.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I saw broteampill playing Brothers one time on a stream. There was a segment where the two were connected to one another with a tether and he had to do this shitty momentum-gaining swinging minigame to get them to climb pegs on a wall for like ten minutes. Emotinz!!!

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Okay I need a confirmation on this : are you the "sexbad" on the Bro Team Pill videos ? Because if so, I'll probably need your address so I can come to your house and make you read amazing fanfictions to me.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

Yeah I'm not huge on GRAW. I prefer the original Ghost Recon and The Sum of All Fears (basically Ghost Recon indoors). I can see why you think CoD1 is the only one worth playing, as that is the only CoD where you can play it really slow paced and get away with it. CoD2 maps are smaller and the gamestyle is a bit different so you need a bit of 'twitch' in there.

I'm enjoying playing it, but I don't think it will be a competitive fps.

An important difference for me was that I found CoD to descend into chaos, with people coming from all directions. I'm not a fan of that really. Cod1 was more conducive to fighting "fronts" rather than choke points. if I want a dose of paced tactical play I will play Arma.

bloodlover

Arcane
Finally doing a full run of Deus Ex HR. I've reached the DLC part and I'm quite impressed. The gameplay is good, the boss battles are not that retarded anymore if you are stealth focused. Also, I am a sucker for anything with a cyberpunk theme.

On the bad side, I am not sold on the story and characters. I have not seen a WTF moment yet and there were no twists that impressed me. You can even anticipate some of it if you pay close attention to the world. I'm not liking the characters either. Brofist for voice acting but other then that everything about them is forgettable.
I still don't know why I even tried to save Malik

Unwanted

Vicky

Andhaira
Andhaira
I've been playing Tomb Raider. I really didn't want to after seeing the trailers and how Lara was being abused left and right just to pander to your average introverted basement dweller, but after hearing really good word of mouth I decided to give it a go. I am pleasantly surprised, though my expectations were quite low.

My only wish is now that they have the grim'n'gritty reboot out of their system, and the game sold well, the sequel should return Lara back where she belongs, in mysterious environs hunting for priceless artifacts. No interntional conspiracy, no human enemies, no military grade weapons. Just Lara, the environment, and the odd prehistoric, rabid animal. And maybe a t-rex or two. ;)

After finishing this, or after I get bored, I;m going to play X-Com. Heard lots of great things about it. Didn't play Enemy Unknown, going to jump straight into Enemy Within as I hear it has better balancing and maps, and some cool upgrades to units. And I hear you can have an all female squad. :love:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS JUST FINISHED VANQUISH ANGAIN GODDAMN JAPS FUCKING JUST MADE THE BEST THIRD PERSON SHOOTER EVER YOU CAN BE IN COVER BUT THEN SOME FUCKER CAN SHOOT THROUGH COVER OR JUMP OVER IT AND BEAT YOUR ASS OR JUST GO TURN INTO A KAMIKAZE BOMB LLOLLOLOL I LOVE THAT GAME

STARTING AVERNUM 3 THE BEGINNING HAS BORED ME MORE THAN ONE AND TWO WE WILL ASDEE HOW IT GOES

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
100th time's the charm, I guess:
rUHRB6x.jpg

Going with a 5 man for the first time in an IE game. I usually do 4, but since I'm a loot whore, I need the inventory space.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Went back to FTL and finally managed to win for the first time. That was on Normal with The Kestrel. Now try to unlock other ships and win with them.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders.

Playing games chronologically I must say both Doom and Heretic feels rather crude compared to the excellent Duke Nukem 3D (which I only played for the first time recently). BTW, I'm talking about the Doomsday and eDuke sourceports.
For those of you who played all these games back in the days, how did you feel about games like Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders and Final Doom after having played Duke Nukem 3D?

Anyway, the first level of Serpent Riders was quite brutal compared to the rather too easy original Heretic, with little ammo to find, so I had to use in-fighting and a crusher to finish it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
RE: Playing IWD2. Shit crashes frequently :/ Game freezes, sound gets stuck on loop until I reboot computer (no IWD processes running in task manager)

Oh well. I guess I'll have to consider playing something else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom