Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
I've heard console tards say that Halo 2 improved on everything from Halo 1 so that should be evidence enough that it's all decline
Halo has always been decline.

axx

Savant
Finished Trine 2. It's prettier, less tedious and overall a better game than T1. Should have made a pause once I reached the goblin expansion.

Now wasting my life with Vampire Survivors.

Renfri

Cipher
Playing Monster Hunter: World (alone) and having lots of fun. I feel stupid to have ignored this series for so long. I remember few mates playing it when it came out and I just shrugged it off, silly me.

Ash

Arcane
Just stopping by to criticize Darth off his Roxor for being a little popamole faggot Halo bitch that had the gall to claim it is I that had questionable taste. He uses frequent terms like "console tard" meanwhile he plays...no, REPLAYS, one of the worst, most retarded and worthless examples of singleplayer console gaming in existence (developed by shitty PC devs aiming to sell out no less). What a shameful tosser. Get some fucking taste.

Yes, we will not stop until you put down braindead Halo singleplayer and play some real games, console or otherwise...hell there is probably more respectable mobile or browser flash games you could play.

Pictured: Darth and his console tard whack-a-mole

:popamole::happytrollboy:

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Just stopping by to criticize Darth off his Roxor for being a little popamole faggot Halo bitch that had the gall to claim it is I that had questionable taste. He uses frequent terms like "console tard" meanwhile he plays...no, REPLAYS, one of the worst, most retarded and worthless examples of singleplayer console gaming in existence (developed by shitty PC devs aiming to sell out no less). What a shameful tosser. Get some fucking taste.

Yes, we will not stop until you put down braindead Halo singleplayer and play some real games, console or otherwise...hell there is probably more respectable mobile or browser flash games you could play.

Pictured: Darth and his console tard whack-a-mole

:popamole::happytrollboy:

tumblr_me6oayA9Em1r96x1xo1_400.png

Ash

Arcane
I think the post that commanded the most respect from me, despite his occassional faggotry, was his statement that Bioshock and Half-Life 2 are the most overrated games in existence.
Turns out it's all meant nothing! The monocle was a fake! Half-Life 2 is bland as fuck and kinda similar actually: dumb popamole combat, shitty level design (well, it's OK but very railroaded. even by linear standards it's not that great), an oppressive level of stylistic blandness, but at least it has basic fundamental concepts like...HP. And tries to mix shit up with frequent gimmicks since the core gameplay and experience is so boring and worthless.

Of all the wonderful pc OR console games this guy could play...and he goes on a singleplayer Halo marathon with little but praise for it. The main reason it is enjoyed by uncultured scrubs is the multiplayer, that actually has some merit. The singleplayer is torture if you have standards, however.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Sir you do not know real FPS gameplay - significantly more complex than Gaylo. Please refrain from further statements unless you want to be taken to Ash's camp of game design reeducation. You may or may not be violated in the process. Especially bearing in mind the double infraction of the Chrono Trigger avatar.

GoblinMerchant

Literate
Surprised to not see more helldivers 2 bandwagoning, but grognards might not have the dexterity to play something where you have to aim or press more than wasd and m1.

Ash

Arcane
Of course you think that. Being both a Chrono Trigger and Halo fanboy reveals by itself that you have zero comprehension of gameplay. I pray for you forsaken one.

Ash

Arcane
Who the fuck are you kidding? Turok is one of the most hardcore FPS out there. I bet you couldn't get past the first level as a kid and defaulted back to your retard Goldeneye.

Don't speak, seriously, it's embarassing. Chrono Trigger doesn't even have something resembling gameplay and Halo is nearly the definition of braindead whack-a-mole.

Also...you quoted yourself there. You hit the wrong awesome button. :lol:

soutaiseiriron

Educated
I bet you couldn't get past the first level as a kid and defaulted back to your retard Goldeneye.
i'm not a senior citizen like you, and this has to be some sort of resentment for not getting goldeneye instead of turok as a kid or something.

i know i quoted myself, that was the point, turok is the definition of circlestrafeslop which is what i was describing. it's a shit game.

Ash

Arcane
How old are you kid? You have many more games to play before you run out of good options like me and so are left to discuss them with ill-informed idiots on forums.

"turok is the definition of circlestrafeslop"

Why do you see it fit to speak ill of what you do not know? It's a very pathetic emotional reaction to me bashing your shit games. Turok is not very circlestrafe-heavy at all, you see much of the level design has major elevation variance and platforming, pitfalls and such involved, it's rare there is any room to plain circle strafe at all.

OIP.zLcQ4co6JfI6VepgavbozgHaEK

And by the way, much of this applies to most actually good 90s shooters, from Doom to Quake to Duke Nukem to Unreal and such. Turok just takes the elevation differences and platforming focus even further. Almost NEVER is it about just strafing in a circle like an idiot. AI, enemy placement, environmental hazards, elevation differences and such don't allow it. Some boss fights can get like that at absolute worst case scenario, yet the genre is light on boss fights (3 on average per game). You are just revealing your extreme ignorance.

Last edited:

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Shadowrun Trilogy - Hare Brained Schemes

Earlier this month I plowed through Shadowrun Returns after letting the game rot in my library for a better part of the last decade. Returns is a short linear experience, there are two side quest in the entire game, that manages to outstay its welcome. The plot line I cared about was by all means resolved half way through the campaign. Overall this game was good for a single playthrough. However, the two sequels do not suffer from these problems. Dragonfall and Hong Kong expand on the foundation laid by Returns. Combat encounters, level design, linearity, interface, story, and even the all ready outstanding music are improved upon. With all that said these games are still not perfect. Every quests, or the ones that grant karma, involve exterminating anything that moves in the locale you visit. When you are not ensuring job security for the local morgue, you are just walking to the waypoint and clicking on it upon arrival. I could forgive this if the game were a strict tactical strategy game. But these games are considered RPGs and the only role you play is an exterminator. This did not stop me from powering through the trilogy over a three week period but it will keep me from coming back. There is so little variation in quest outcome that I cannot think of any reason to replay these games unless you are massive fan of the Shadowrun as a setting.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shadowrun Trilogy - Hare Brained Schemes

Earlier this month I plowed through Shadowrun Returns after letting the game rot in my library for a better part of the last decade. Returns is a short linear experience, there are two side quest in the entire game, that manages to outstay its welcome. The plot line I cared about was by all means resolved half way through the campaign. Overall this game was good for a single playthrough. However, the two sequels do not suffer from these problems. Dragonfall and Hong Kong expand on the foundation laid by Returns. Combat encounters, level design, linearity, interface, story, and even the all ready outstanding music are improved upon. With all that said these games are still not perfect. Every quests, or the ones that grant karma, involve exterminating anything that moves in the locale you visit. When you are not ensuring job security for the local morgue, you are just walking to the waypoint and clicking on it upon arrival. I could forgive this if the game were a strict tactical strategy game. But these games are considered RPGs and the only role you play is an exterminator. This did not stop me from powering through the trilogy over a three week period but it will keep me from coming back. There is so little variation in quest outcome that I cannot think of any reason to replay these games unless you are massive fan of the Shadowrun as a setting.

Dragonfall was a reasonably good time. Returns was okay since at the time, it was still a fairly dry CRPG period and there wasn't anything else that was Shadowrun or SR-like. I have never managed to make it through HK. I just get ground down by all the text dumps about shit I don't care about and generally hate all the characters.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Despite how much they promised to improve the cyberspace in Hong Kong the end result was unironically worse than the previous games.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Despite how much they promised to improve the cyberspace in Hong Kong the end result was unironically worse than the previous games.
I consider it to be more of a missed opportunity than anything else. Having to stealthily navigate my way through the Matrix makes sense thematically, no hacker can withstand being detected, but I do mind the IC genocide requirement for progression. I played on hard and there was no point where the IC was a challenge. If the developer reworked the Matrix to resemble meatspace combat more than that would have been the best. I would have settled for pure stealth but not a combination of the two.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Halo is nearly the definition of braindead whack-a-mole

Ah, so you've never actually played it. I mean, not that I'm surprised.

Anyway, after three missions in Halo 2, this game sure feels a lot less inspired than the first one.

Ash

Arcane
Here. See below quote from a discussion a few weeks back. Even Xbox kids have higher standards that you, and that console was damn near worthless. Have you no shame? Every xbox player I interacted with back in the day had awful taste and minimal gaming xp. All of them. I'd be raving about the decline and they thought I was just being negative for no reason and went about continuing jerking off Gears of War/Mass Effect/Oblivion/Bioshock/Gaylo/Fable and all the rest of the 2000s era decline, forming gangs of "achievement hunters", slurping all the shitty xbox marketing slop. It was a painful experience that led me to abandoning consoles all-together and giving PC 100% focus instead of a love for any type of gaming as long as the game in question is good.

But the singleplayer is worthless.

Even among hardcore Halo fanboys (I'm one of them), pretty much everyone acknowledges that the campaigns are pretty bad, with a handful (another group I fall into) making an exception for Halo 2.

Also, I made a post with some backhanded analytic praise for gaylo multiplayer in that same discussion, which proves otherwise. I owned Halo 1 and Halo Reach over the years.

Ash said:
Since I've shat on the game a lot, Halo Reach Multiplayer I will give 5 minutes and no more than that to defend, as it isn't THAT good. As mentioned, sprint is a game changer from what gaylo used to be, as well as things like jetpacks for obvious reasons. The Shield/health combo works pretty great in multiplayer (terrible in singleplayer) to ensure everyone is on even ground per encounter and item pickups/respawn timers of things like megahealths do not dominate map movement/battle flow, as they dont exist. Everyone spawns with the god tier pistol so again, even ground (almost)! No camping power weapons/they don't dictate outcome of firefights quite as much. The base jump height is quite high, so while it is generally slowed down at least z-axis freedom is not restricted like in those military shooters. Throw on top all the misc gameplay notables like jump pads, grav shafts, dynamic power shield generators (cover you can shoot to temporarily destroy), vehicles, alongside some pretty good map design, and it's really not a bad arena shooter.
Also, there is something about its grenades mixed with its low gravity component that is quite satisfying. Well, not "something". Its grenades are unique in that they have a really long detonation timer, *except* the timer is shortened to 1 second or so after the first bounce. This results in very skillful grenade use at both short and long range (low gravity makes them go very far), deflection must always be factored to control the detonation, and it's just fun. If there is anything other mutliplayer shooters should steal from Halo, it's this. Small thing, and possibly done in another game before, but if so I am not aware of it. These super fun grenades are a staple of your arsenal as you always spawn with two and more can be found in the arena. Lastly, while it is slow-paced, this results in fairer firefights. You're far less likely to be jumped by a player halfway through a skirmish with another player; it's easier to predict where everyone is at all times (radar also helps for people behind) as everyone isn't running around at lightspeed. Especially since most of the maps are also pretty open. The best praise I can give it is game balance. It's quite impressive in that regard. And pretty much all of this doesn't apply to the singleplayer in any meaningful way. The singleplayer is total shit, as is standard.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom