Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What happened to "mature" art direction? Everything is Overwatch now

LabRat

Learned
There's other ways the immaturity of modern devs manifests itself.

For instance, all those games with characters that are endlessly spewing cringy try hard shit non-stop. Apparently it's called millenial writing:

It's the first thing i noticed when i saw nu-Shadow Warrior. I remember watching gameplay videos that i had to shut down after 2 minutes because the talking was hurting my brain. Original Shadow Warrior was silly and stupid but not like this.

Old TMNT comics
RrzzqSd.jpeg

Modern TMNT comics and their lead writer's cringe philosophy
8E39HmM.jpeg
JySufsc.png

jaekl

Educated
Patron
-Breakfast has no deadlines.
-Remembering your anniversary has no deadlines.
-The only deadline is your dead time.
-The morning is just nighttime backwards.
-Doody soundsa lot like duty, but they're very different.
-The homeless never have deadlines.
-Love hate until hate loves you back.
-Deadlines? More like DREADlines. Heh.
-Get married to hate.
-Fight through the pain when someone rates ur post retadred.
-Divorce hate and love love again.
-If you fall you can get back up unless it's into a spike pit.
-Fight everyone who lies to you.
-Love hating lies.
-Sacrifice your time to post online. It is your doody.
-Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
-If you cut the cord on your phone, you'll have a dead line.

n0denz

Novice
8E39HmM.jpeg
undefined
Jesus Christ! My eyes!
Original TMNT was peak 80's.
-Breakfast has no deadlines.
-Remembering your anniversary has no deadlines.
-The only deadline is your dead time.
-The morning is just nighttime backwards.
-Doody soundsa lot like duty, but they're very different.
-The homeless never have deadlines.
-Love hate until hate loves you back.
-Deadlines? More like DREADlines. Heh.
-Get married to hate.
-Fight through the pain when someone rates ur post retadred.
-Divorce hate and love love again.
-If you fall you can get back up unless it's into a spike pit.
-Fight everyone who lies to you.
-Love hating lies.
-Sacrifice your time to post online. It is your doody.
-Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
-If you cut the cord on your phone, you'll have a dead line.
These Death Grips lyrics?

The Ninja Turtles post is kind of disingenuous. The big Ninja Turtles comic at the moment is The Last Ronin, not that other title, and The Last Ronin is a good looking comic.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
This is typical for IDW. They fagged up every single license they've gotten their hands on in the last decade. They used to have GI Joe and Transformers, until Hasbro figured out they were ruining their brands and pulled the rights. It's also where woke companies send their franchises to get ruined when they don't have time to ruin them on their own, like a few Disney licenses and Star Trek.

For GI Joe, they made them international, which is fine I guess, but then they made them anti-American. That's when Hasbro pulled their rights. Imagine how woke you have to be to get Hasbro to pull your license.

I doubt IDW did anything that Hasbro wasn’t aware of and gave the OK to. I’ve never heard of a comic book licensing deal where writers working for the licensor weren’t running everything by someone at the licensee.

IDW lost what they lost (and they’re still working with Hasbro I think) because they largely sell for shit, and probably because Skybound was talking with Hasbro about wanting GI and Transformers privately before anything was officially announced.

n0denz

Novice
This is typical for IDW. They fagged up every single license they've gotten their hands on in the last decade. They used to have GI Joe and Transformers, until Hasbro figured out they were ruining their brands and pulled the rights. It's also where woke companies send their franchises to get ruined when they don't have time to ruin them on their own, like a few Disney licenses and Star Trek.
IDW did a good job on MLP.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I’ve never heard of a comic book licensing deal where writers working for the licensor weren’t running everything by someone at the licensee.
Could be. Hasbro is pretty damned incompetent, though, and honestly has been for decades when it comes to the media for their brands. It's entirely possible they greenlit what I was refering to, then freaked when there was massive backlash to it.

I’ve never heard of a comic book licensing deal where writers working for the licensor weren’t running everything by someone at the licensee.
Could be. Hasbro is pretty damned incompetent, though, and honestly has been for decades when it comes to the media for their brands. It's entirely possible they greenlit what I was refering to, then freaked when there was massive backlash to it.

They’re likely was no freaking. They pulled it from IDW (or the deal was just not reupped) because Skybound wanted it, it’s that simple. IDW isn’t exactly in a great place. Hasbro also hasn’t split with IDW, IDW still has the rights to D&D and My Little Pony, so there wasn’t some fallout between the two where Hasbro just ended their relationship.

LabRat

Learned
The Last Ronin series is pretty mediocre. Eastman and Laird only gave their concept for the series, the lead writer was still Tom Waltz. Issues 1-2 that were great, and got weaker and rushed with each issue after that. Art is average and doesn't portray any action scenes or deaths in cool dynamic ways, they just happen. Most characters death scenes and tragic scenes are Apokolips War-tier crappy writing. The ending is about how they kill Mikey to replace him with April's Mary Sue daughter, instead of let him survive and become Splinter.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Just today I googled "fallout art" to show the local cucks what the OG vibe was

guess what I got

gDXOGhn.png

Meanwhile actual Fallout art:

GEU83EtXoAA8ogl

9Qyf7eB.jpeg

u67gosu9y2ua1.jpg

Hydro

Novice
Just today I googled "fallout art" to show the local cucks what the OG vibe was

guess what I got

gDXOGhn.png

Meanwhile actual Fallout art:

GEU83EtXoAA8ogl

9Qyf7eB.jpeg

u67gosu9y2ua1.jpg
I mean yeah, it’s a bit too late to ask how come though, since the franchise has been raped for 20 years already, it’s now part of the big moneys and US corpo thing. Surprisingly I’m fine with this. I have my Fallout which I replay from time to time and I fucking enjoy it. I wish there was some slight rework of a sort to make combat and builds more complex, my filthy minmaxer can’t be ok with investing in anything other than energy weapon.

I like how the original Fallout art has very little in common with the gameplay though. Nice art though, always gave me the proper vibes.

jackofshadows

Magister
By the way, luj1 if you haven't played the Resurrection mod I highly recommend it as the closest thing in tone to Fallout 1 I've played.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
The trailer for new “transmedia franchise” Astropulse tried channeling Beksinski and Giger. However, I strongly doubt the writing will be any good

deuxhero

Arcane

For GI Joe, they made them international, which is fine I guess, but then they made them anti-American. That's when Hasbro pulled their rights. Imagine how woke you have to be to get Hasbro to pull your license.
Besides trying to control who got to mourn 9/11, they also fucked up by not using Action Man, Geyperman, Action Team etc. (even if some of these would have to have stand-ins since I don't know if Hasbro owns the rights to any besides Action Man) as basis for "International GI Joe" (which really should be something more like "GI Joe allies in NATO")

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom