Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is good UI design in RPGs?

Harthwain

Magister
If an UI needs customization, then it's shit. If it needs more thant one screen to show everything, then your game is bloated with shit.
Bullshit. Customization allows the player to shape the UI to his individual needs. You can have a good UI without customization, but having the option to customize it is never a bad thing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think there are 3 important things to worry about when designing a UI:

1. Everything important has to be clearly shown and apparent. The debuffs must be clear without mousing over anything.

2. No clutter. The battlefield must be as clean as possible. No always-visible nameplates, hp bars or floating damage numbers if it isn't a crit (the floating damage thing applies more to real-time games, though, it isn't as classless in TB games).

3. As few clicks as possible. This is a universal rule, though.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
One of my favorite game UIs is probably ToEE. Not just because of the in-game manual either. Seems to be a love or hate thing but I really liked the radial menus, thought they were easy to use.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
I can give you a bad UI. How about Fallout 1/2? There are pros and cons of doing inventory in a list like Gold Box/Might and Magic, or in a grid like Diablo/Baldurs Gate, but Fallout's awful UI combines the worse traits of both of them and will forever stand out as one of the worse UI's of RPG history, right next to Ultima 7's paper bags.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I can give you a bad UI. How about Fallout 1/2? There are pros and cons of doing inventory in a list like Gold Box/Might and Magic, or in a grid like Diablo/Baldurs Gate, but Fallout's awful UI combines the worse traits of both of them and will forever stand out as one of the worse UI's of RPG history, right next to Ultima 7's paper bags.
Fallout 1/2 UI is bad only insofar as it concerns the inventory and bartering. It's extremely usable otherwise, with keyboard shortcuts for damn near everything.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Neverwinter Nights
As much as I enjoy the Gold Box games, their UI was quite clunky due to having been designed for cheaper IBM PCs in 1988.

58012-neverwinter-nights-dos-screenshot-main-title-ega-vga.png
215710-neverwinter-nights-dos-screenshot-character-generation.png

215728-neverwinter-nights-dos-screenshot-the-bridge-to-windycliffs.png
215731-neverwinter-nights-dos-screenshot-attacked-by-a-crocodile.png

214631-neverwinter-nights-dos-front-cover.jpg
214632-neverwinter-nights-dos-back-cover.jpg

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
As much as I enjoy the Gold Box games, their UI was quite clunky due to having been designed for cheaper IBM PCs in 1988.

But a perfectly serviceable keyboard-driven UX for the time period. I remember going through combats pretty fast.
Perhaps the perceived clunkyness is the result of people trying to use the mouse when the system was designed for keyboard.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Maybe the Fallout 1&2 UI had some issues (personally I see only a minor one in the inventory management), but give me an example of a better UI in modern games.

HansDampf

Arcane
Ok. I thought one: Disco Elysium.
Disco's UI is okay. But it's still lacking features like rebindable hotkeys, and I don't like the default ones. The 5 main menu screens are on C, T, I, J, and M. I'd rather have them all in one corner of the keyboard like QWASD, next to TAB which is also needed for highlighting. No matter where I rest my hand, I can never reach everything I need. Why can't I use the numpad to advance dialogue? I also can't play with mouse only because I can't bind highlight to a mouse button.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Corollary: if you can learn the icons, it's clear enough (see Morrowind).
Yeah, I was thinking more of PoE's piss poor UI and readability where nothing is clear and everything possible is concealed for maximum discomfort.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom