Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
And the cult here... trying to make the game seem like one of the best RPGs ever. I just don't get it. What am I missing?
One of the thing that I loved in Underrail is the free-form exploration.
Could you elaborate some more? It'd be appreciated.

Can you tell me anons Underrail wifes anons! Can you! Anons did say Underrail wife anons but she was psychotic killer nonsense anons! She was! It was nonsense anons! It was! I do hate Underrail game anon if it does not have cute romance wifes anons! I do! Thank you anons! You are all good anons!

FriendlyMerchant

Can you tell me anons Underrail wifes anons! Can you! Anons did say Underrail wife anons but she was psychotic killer nonsense anons! She was! It was nonsense anons! It was! I do hate Underrail game anon if it does not have cute romance wifes anons! I do! Thank you anons! You are all good anons!
The prequel Undertale should have many wifes.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
And the cult here... trying to make the game seem like one of the best RPGs ever. I just don't get it. What am I missing?

From a technical point of view you can freely move through the world and there is no level scaling. Everything feel systemic: if there are obstacles you can be creative to find different ways to overcome them. It is completely different from the static backgrounds of the IE RPGs or the bloated open world games, where you can interact only with specific scripted pre-defined points. It is more akin to the Ultima Underworld or Deus Ex design. The addition of the Jet Skis to freely travel trough the undergrounds water system is also great, and adds tremendously to the sense of exploration. (you can find also other interesting vehicles, but this is spoiler territory)

The world and the lore is also interesting and enough alien that you don't really know what to expect to find. Interesting things are hinted at, the mysterious atmosphere is nice.
There is also practical reason other than curiosity to explore, due to the constant need of resources and the oddity XP system.

Also, there is no fast travel, you need to plan carefully your routes (apart a couple of points where thematically makes sense, if I remember well).

The prequel Undertale should have many wifes.
Thank you Merchant anon! Good strong 1% wealths friend anon! I do love you anon! I do! You are a good strong friend anon!
GnSLV8G.jpg

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

From a technical point of view you can freely move through the world and there is no level scaling. Everything feel systemic: if there are obstacles you can be creative to find different ways to overcome them. It is completely different from the static backgrounds of the IE RPGs or the bloated open world games, where you can interact only with specific scripted pre-defined points. It is more akin to the Ultima Underworld or Deus Ex design. The addition of the Jet Skis to freely travel trough the undergrounds water system is also great, and adds tremendously to the sense of exploration. (you can find also other interesting vehicles, but this is spoiler territory)

The world and the lore is also thematically interesting and enough alien that you don't really know what to expect to find. Interesting things are hinted at, the mysterious atmosphere is nice.
There is also practical reason other than curiosity to explore, due to the constant need of resources and the oddity XP system.

Also, there is no fast travel, you need to plan carefully your routes (apart a couple of points where thematically makes sense, if I remember well).
That's a new one. Ok, consider me surprised.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

The world and the lore is also interesting and enough alien that you don't really know what to expect to find. Interesting things are hinted at, the mysterious atmosphere is nice.

I'm playing Underrail for the 1st time seriously right now and I agree with all of the above except the last part. What do you call the ability to sail/go by train from one settlement to another at a small fee with a few clicks if not "fast travel"? Doesn't mean that you can go everywhere this way. Or that you need to if you don't want for some reason. But it certainly is there.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've played Underrrail for at least 20 hours and it seemed to me like a good, atmospheric indie RPG with some good ideas. But it fell short (to my liking) due to the over-complex builds and crafting and itemisation, whereas the combat and the interactions were kinda simplistic
Just from reading the few posts you've made on this thread, I can tell you never made it past Depot A, or only just barely did. Underrail's combat interactions aren't simplistic, and while the builds are complex that only adds to the nuance of its combat system and makes building a good character all the more satisfying. As for crafting and itemization, what were your problems with them specifically?
The mechanics of the game felt like they were trying to - bear with the allegory please - bud a wholesome well-being'n'fitness program on a person that only recently started an ocasional running in the park.
That's true, but one would imagine that anyone on this forum would count themselves as more than just being a casual runner.
You're missing about another 80-100 hours of gameplay which is where everything really starts to open up.

huskarls

Scholar
I'm probably gotta get some somewhat deserved heat for that one but for me it's Temple of Elemental Evil. On one hand it's an adaptation of a classic module, which brought it to the wider audience who's not really into retro modules. Also it's probably the most faithful adaptation of DnD and it should become a template of how future RPGs should play like. Giving the party entirely different justification for
On the other hand the plot is rather bland, most of the combat encounters are a slog, NPCs aren't memorable, Hommlett is extremely boring, bosses are disappointing, the quests aren't too interesting, the entire setting is rather banal. Great game systems are brought down by rather underwhelming content. Too bad it didn't have an option to create your own modules like Neverwinter Nights did. It's not a bad game but any means. I just don't feel that it deserve to be presented as one of THE greatest RPGs ever.
I put it over games like Original Sin, Witcher 3, Disco Elysium etc. since these have their own dedicated haters which makes them less overrated in comparison. I don't consider them better though.

yeah the module and system was good, but the plot/characters didnt exist and the encounter design feels like it was never play tested. you can tell some thought went into encounters, but they never polished any of it

Black Angel

Arcane

I'm playing Underrail for the 1st time seriously right now and I agree with all of the above except the last part. What do you call the ability to sail/go by train from one settlement to another at a small fee with a few clicks if not "fast travel"? Doesn't mean that you can go everywhere this way. Or that you need to if you don't want for some reason. But it certainly is there.
Yeah, fast travel actually exists in Underrail. The most recent addition to the fast travel mechanic is even a literal fast travel.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I've played Underrrail for at least 20 hours and it seemed to me like a good, atmospheric indie RPG with some good ideas. But it fell short (to my liking) due to the over-complex builds and crafting and itemisation, whereas the combat and the interactions were kinda simplistic
Just from reading the few posts you've made on this thread, I can tell you never made it past Depot A, or only just barely did. Underrail's combat interactions aren't simplistic, and while the builds are complex that only adds to the nuance of its combat system and makes building a good character all the more satisfying. As for crafting and itemization, what were your problems with them specifically?
The mechanics of the game felt like they were trying to - bear with the allegory please - bud a wholesome well-being'n'fitness program on a person that only recently started an ocasional running in the park.
That's true, but one would imagine that anyone on this forum would count themselves as more than just being a casual runner.
You're missing about another 80-100 hours of gameplay which is where everything really starts to open up.
I made it to the Junkyard and then some. The level was 14 I think. If you say so, I'll try it some more one day. I just remember how everything became more and more of a slog instead of reveling RPG experience in a cool niche mechanics the game promised initially :( Avernums did that right.

Last edited:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I made it to the Junkyard and then some. The level was 14 I think. If you say so, I'll try it some more one day. I just remember how everything became more and more of a slog instead of reveling RPG experience in a cool niche mechanics the game promised initially :( Avernums did that right.

Yeah, I don't think you made it past Depot A or you just finished it.

I had trouble getting into the game at first too. Depot A is rough and the game is pretty railroaded up until that point. After Depot A is when things really start to open up and it's when I started enjoying the game a lot more.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
RPGs are kinda shit
The sad part is that it is true to a point. At least from my point of view. There are some very good crpgs but not even close as many as there are strategy/tactical/wargames or even adventure games, when i played those. I can think of games from those genres that are close to perfect but i have hard time to call any crpg like that. Perhaps it is the nature of the genre that was created based on multiplayer tabletop games but isn't that at all. Many tries to be very hard though, with zero chance for real success. The end results can never be satisfactory.

Codex Year of the Donut
RPGs are kinda shit
The sad part is that it is true to a point. At least from my point of view. There are some very good crpgs but not even close as many as there are strategy/tactical/wargames or even adventure games, when i played those. I can think of games from those genres that are close to perfect but i have hard time to call any crpg like that. Perhaps it is the nature of the genre that was created based on multiplayer tabletop games but isn't that at all. Many tries to be very hard though, with zero chance for real success. The end results can never be satisfactory.
maybe you just don't like rpgs

Serus

Arcane
Patron
RPGs are kinda shit
Maybe. Maybe you just aren't too smart. Everything is possible.
[returns to play Underrail]

Codex Year of the Donut
RPGs are kinda shit
Maybe. Maybe you just aren't too smart. Everything is possible.
[returns to play Underrail]
well I can list dozens of rpgs I consider to be good but I can't list a single adventure game I consider to be good

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
FNV, always and forever. Consoletard glorified janky turd. The sole fact it's better than F3 in no shape or form alleviates the fact that bethesdisation of Fallout was perhaps the single most declinist event in cRPG history and all it's subsequent regurgitations, Obsidian or not, only add to the shitheap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom