Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What kind of RPG gamer are you?

Kogorn

Novice
I've done some thinking and I've come up with a whole bunch of different "types" of RPG gamers out there. I'm curious to see what people identify with. Of course, some people may identify with more than one, but try to find one that you identify with the most.

1 (Completionist): This is the player who likes to go through the game and accomplish everything he/she possibly can, investing more time than usual into a game. This can be broken down further.
a (Pure Completionist): You want to unlock all of the game’s secrets. you play through the game with every character to attack the game from all angles and unlock everything possible. If you don't complete the game 100%, you feel like a wimp. You might have written a walkthrough before as well.
b (Lazy Completionist): You want to unlock everything the game has to offer, but you don't have the time to wander around and talk to every npc. You'll buy a strategy guide, or look at gamefaqs, and follow along to make sure you accomplish absolutely everything.
c (RP-Completionist): You play a specific type of character, but will realistically go after everything that type of character would want to accomplish. If you play a mage, for example, you pursue every possible magic-related quest or clue, but ignore say, thieves guild ones.

2 (Role Player): You play the game to step back from the world, step into the shoes of a hero (or villain) and follow an intriguing story with memorable characters.
a (Solo-RP): You go through the game playing your character, but for the most part, don't care about the npcs you can recruit. Sure, you'll pick them up for cannon fodder, extra firepower, etc. but don't really care about their backgrounds, romance options, etc.
b (Party-RP): You play your character, but in addition to taking a vested interest in the world/story, you take an interest in the possible npcs. You'll pick the ones that your character would realistically pick, take an interest in their backgrounds, care if they die, and maybe pursue a romance option (if available in the game).
c (Total-RP): As far as you're concerned, when you're playing the game, you ARE that character. You treat the npcs as being real as much as you possibly can. You crave things like romance options, the npc with a dark past, and download as many mods as possible to expand this area of the game. If you don't like the romance options available, or can't customize your character to your image, you'll look for ways to fix "the issue." In addition, you look for games that allow you to "live" in the world, and will purchase an in-game house, decorate it, etc.

3 (Combat Gamer):
a (Combat-Focused): You like to have some coherent story or end goal, but what you care about most on the way there is the combat. You might pursue side quests on the way, but don't really care if you miss one, as long as you kill plenty of monsters. You'll focus on optimizing your character and although you might use npcs, you optimize them as well to focus on beating everything the game throws at you. You've most likely loved games like Icewind Dale or Diablo II.
b (Total-Combat): For you, it's all about making your characters as powerful as possible. You'll multiclass in a D&D-based game to optimize your damage output, party utility, etc and create a character of legend. You'll spend time power-leveling your character probably, and will focus on beating all the powerful monsters in a game (i.e. Firkragg, Kangaxx in BGII). If they're too easy, you'll download mods to make them more powerful. It's all about beating the system.

4 (Gameplay-Focused): Although story and substance are important, the gameplay determines how good the game is. An ugly UI gives you a brain aneurism. Long loading times make you put your fist through your computer screen. When character actions don’t line up with animations, you become frustrated. Bugs annoy you to no end. To some extent, you share opinions with combat gamers, but things like the set up of towns/levels, interactive quests and scenarios and methods of conversing with npcs are important to you as well.
a (The pissy gameplay-focused gamer): As soon as you encounter a bug that’s it. Your money is wasted. You can’t stand an unfinished project. You don’t want to download a mod to get the game to work, or make one yourself. You need someone to bitch to, so you go on the forums, report bugs, blame the developer until you get banned. You probably also have a short temper and are a perfectionist, yet tend to be lazy.
b (the resourceful gameplay-focused gamer): Bugs annoy you, yet you realize that they annoy other people as well, and to improve the game as a whole, you realize that something has to be done about the bugs. You report the bugs to the developer and if they don’t fix them, you make a mod or patch that fixes the bugs to help yourself and other enjoy the game. Unlike 4a, who’s just annoying, all those who play the game admire you for your initiative, game-savvy and talent. Any gaming community containing you should be proud and thankful to have you.

5 (Puzzle Gamer): You play rpgs to challenge your mind, improve your logic skills and tend to favor such things over reflexes and aiming ability (in fps games). You probably are a fan of the Zelda series, liked the PS2 game Ico and have enjoyed/enjoy playing Tetris, bejeweled or other such games. Recently, you have started feeling that the gaming industry has neglected you, favoring action sequences, reflexes and the dumbing-down of puzzles over things that challenge gamers and stretch their minds. As a result, you settle for trying to beat games using the hardest kind of character imaginable, since few puzzles exist outside the adventure genre that challenge you, or play older rpgs. Other gamers may disagree with you on whether puzzles should exist in rpg games, but the truth is, they envy your skill and intelligence.

6 (Graphics/Sound Nut): You favor the graphics over things like gameplay, story and anything else the game might have to offer.
a (artistic graphics/sound nut): You play games with top-notch graphics and sound because you are interested in that area yourself (for a future career). You appreciate other aspects of the gaming industry but just happen to like graphics most for its artistic-ness.
b (graphics/sound idiot): The graphics and are what’s most important to a game, everything else matters much much less. You give a game a fail-rating if the graphics aren’t top of the line, and if dialogue isn’t voice acted, the game instantly sucks. You’re less than 14 years old and/or have an IQ of 70, like shiny things and being overstimulated. You contribute to the decay of the classic rpg genre, and although not all gamers will say it to your face, you’re a downright idiot.

7 (Action FPS/RPG confused person): You think actionFPS-rpgs reflect the entire rpg genre. You are blissfully ignorant of the truth that classic rpgs, and action rpgs are two separate things, though they share similarities. In your opinion, the Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion is what an rpg game is. You’ve probably never played games like Baldur’s Gate, Planescape Torment or Wizardry because they moved to slow for you. You like being in the action. Sometimes, you may learn of the difference between the two genres and learn to appreciate/recognize the other. Those of you who remain ignorant and keep calling actionFPS rpgs “true rpgs” contribute to the demise of the classic rpg genre. Ignorance is not bliss my friend.

8 (The Pioneer): You like games that take a wholly “new” or “odd” approach to the genre. You probably like games like Final Fantasy XII that either blend one genre into another or take a fully different approach.
a (Interest Pioneer): You like games that take a new approach because they’re interesting. It’s also natural for things to evolve and change. You appreciate the old, but prefer the new, and look forward to interesting control/lvling schemes and quirks.
b (Annoying Revolutionary): Ever game, ESPECIALLY a sequel, must take a new approach, otherwise it’s instantly boring and sucks. Baldur’s Gate II was very similar to Baldur’s Gate I, and it was therefore overhyped. You have no appreciation for the old because you have a short attention span or are impatient. You may write reviews, but only people like yourself read them, other people just find you ignorant and annoying.

9 (The Casual): You don’t have enough spare time due to work or RL, and so you choose to play games that are easy to play for short lengths of time, or party games to play with friends. You probably didn’t explore the rpg genre at first, but were curious and decided to try it out. You probably play an MMORPG as opposed to a single-player rpg.
a (easy-going casual): You choose to play for short lengths of time, but recognize that there are many types of gamers, some of whom have a lot of time on their hands. If a game that looks interesting is not built for casual gamers, that’s fine, it’s not for you, so you put it town/return it and try something else that appeals to you more. You respect other members of the gaming community and realize that everyone has different preferences.
b (self-righteous casual): Playing games casually is how they should be played. Hardcore gamers are freaks or hermits that sit inside dark rooms and have no life. If a game requires more than an hour of your time before you get to a save point, you fly off the handle. If a raid instance is implemented into WoW over a 5-man instance, it’s unfair. Your way is the right way, and other people should grow up, get jobs and get a life.

10 (The Whiny, attention whore who feels he’s entitled to everything, should never lose, not be held accountable for actions, and have a perfect gaming experience on the first try): If your gaming experience is a combination of four or five of the following (1b, 2c, 4a, 6b, 7, 8b or 9b), then please, step in front of a cement mixer. Your kind are responsible for the decline of the RPG genre. You expect each game to satisfy all your expectations. You expect enemies with perfect AI, yet feel you should never lose a life/get a game over. You expect a perfect, revolutionary story, flawless realistic graphics, and gameplay that puts you IN the action. If you can’t complete everything the game has to offer on the first try, or finish the game within two weeks, it’s either “too hard” or “a waste of money because you missed the content.” The word “replayability” is irrelevant to you, because you feel there’s no point whatsoever in playing an rpg more than once. In addition, you expect the game to constantly guide you in the right direction. If you get lost or frustrated, the game is an instant letdown. You also have a need for “your” personal niche in the game, and feel you’re entitled to an in-game house, airship, galleon, car, bootie-call and stronghold, no matter if it fits the story/setting or not. Good and evil shouldn’t matter, as you should be able to experience all of an rpg regardless of your choices. You expect everything to be handed to you without having to work for it and feel you should always be the center of attention. Congrats my friend, YOU cause game developers to focus on graphics over all else and on dumbing down gameplay. YOU led to Oblivion turning out to be a bad game when it could have been a good game. Instead of sticking to a genre that might fit your play style (action, fps, fighting or w/e) you had to come ruin the classic rpg genre by demanding that it satisfy your every whim. You can't have everything in life my friend. You should be ashamed. Noob.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm 1c with a tad of 2b :P

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
tl;dr

Jesus fucking Christ, I just play.

If the game is fun, I'll probably play it right to the end. If the game sucks, I will put it on the shelf and leave it there until I have absolutely nothing else to play.

edit: Meh, casual I guess.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Whoa, a wall of text.

Anyway, I guess I'd consider myself a completionist party role-player that likes combat.

However, as for the completionist, I usually want to do everything, but on a single playthrough. When playing a fighter character and finishing, I don't instantly start a new game with a mage just to check out the content I had to miss with the fighter.

And as for the combat - I'm not a combat freak so to speak, but I love beating all the powerful monsters in the game (i.e. Firkragg and Kangaxx in BG2). I wouldn't actually mind if the infinity engine games removed 90% of the regular minions from all dungeons and quests and just gave me the end boss. I also loved IE games for the party based combat - you have x warriors, y spellcasters, z sneaky guys - and so does the enemy. Thanks to that, the combat mostly had to be tactical and was exciting.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Usually I'm a lazy completionist (non-linear games) or a casual player. (linear games)

I've roleplayed characters in some games, though. Both Fallouts, PS:T, both KOTORs, and The Witcher. MOTB is next on my "play this seriously for hours on end with no walkthrough and stay in character" list.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I like RPGs where you have a definite health meter instead of just ducking into a corner to hide for a few moments. It adds a bit of pressure into the game to not screw up. Generally for the recharging health to be challenging you have to make it so that the player dies extremely quickly.

Thrasher

Erudite
First off:

It's completist not completionist.

And where is powergamer? The typical powergamer seems like a combination of a completist and combat oriented? But one could powergame from a skills pointof view, that has nothing to do with combat. Then the guy would be gameplay completist?

J1M

Arcane
I would consider myself gameplay-focussed, but your description of it is completely off the mark.

Kogorn said:
b (Party-RP): You play your character, but in addition to taking a vested interest in the world/story, you take an interest in the possible npcs. You'll pick the ones that your character would realistically pick, take an interest in their backgrounds, care if they die, and maybe pursue a romance option (if available in the game).

mondblut

Arcane
1b/3b/4b.

And a bit of 10, too. I *do* want to complete everything the game has to offer on the first try, and the word "replayability" for me has a sole meaning of "I quite enjoyed that game 4 years ago, I think I'll play it over again", not of "I completed it as a fighter, now I should immediately restart it as a mage and play it over again to see the whole 3 minutes of mage-exclusive content I missed".

Good thing most "replayable" games can be treated with mods/console commands/external tools to switch classes/alignments/whathaveyou on the fly. I don't want to replay the game 5 times to see the whole 5 quests I missed, thank you very much.

Hory

Erudite
So much effort for a multiple-indicator list, yet so ridiculous to ask people to pigeon-hole their personality on a singular scale.

Kogorn

Novice
I apologize to those of you who thought this was serious...I meant it to be satire, hence why none of these are on the mark :P Did not mean to offend :)

Kogorn said:
I apologize to those of you who thought this was serious...I meant it to be satire, hence why none of these are on the mark :P Did not mean to offend :)
I don't know, the one I chose is kind of the type of stuff I dig. I prefer to play things more for story than anything else, and have an effect on it. Though I also dig customization. I figured the satire was more in the option of 10. But I can see us all looking like a bunch of dumbasses.

Murk

Arcane
I'm a mix of many of those, but mostly it depends on the game. If a game offers great role playing options, like Arcanum, I'll Role Play and even impose limits on myself. If it offers great exploration like Gothic, I'll explore the game world. If it offers...

you get where I'm going.

Nedrah

Erudite
I like satire, but it shouldn't be used as a bad excuse.

the-new-yorker-muslim-obama-cover-big.jpg

LCJr.

Erudite
11) The cynical and bored. The type of gamer that feels like they've seen everything before and they're pretty much right. You're also the type that can barely choke back the bile when developers use catch-phrases like "old school", "innovation", "streamlining" or "moving the genre forward". Yes, you're the type of RPG player that feels like they must have ran out of original ideas sometime in the 90's. Or maybe they didn't run out of ideas just the balls to develop them. You've grown sick of waking up with amnesia, being the chosen one or saving the world from the some ancient evil. In spite of your cynicism there's still a small spark of hope left in your black heart. The hope that someday, someone will once again deliver a game like the classics of yesteryear. Although each year that spark grows dimmer and dimmer as you're forced to wade through another batch of ARPG's, and shitty ones at that.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Mixture of Combat gamer and Cynical and bored.

I find most RPG plots are just nothing new or original enough to hold my attention nowadays, so I play RPGs for the tactical combat and exploration, and when that gets too easy or too boring I just quit mid game.

This means I rarely finish RPGs anymore.

It's just sad how pathetically easy the combat is in KOTOR2 compared to BG2.

Keldryn

Arcane
I'm very much an "explorer" type of player; I like to experience as much unique content that the game has to offer that I can.

I suppose there is a bit of 1c (RP Completionist) in me, though I don't always stick to staying in character. I like to explore all corners of the game world -- but there had better be something interesting and unique there and not just a slightly different arrangement of the same tiles or 3D terrain "blocks" that I've been staring at for hours. A big world just for the sake of being a big world to brag about having walked across is worthless to me. I love finding as many secrets as I can, but I don't have the time or patience to dodge 200 consecutive lightning bolts or fight the same monsters over and over again to collect 10 of an item that they drop 1% of the time. I don't give a shit about achieving "100% completion" in any game of any genre, and never have.

I have a mix of 2b (Party-RP) and 2c (Total-RP). I like to talk to all of the characters in the game and explore their stories, and do the side-quests that explore the backgrounds of my party members. I like the romances and other relationships within the party. My character usually tends to take on my own personality, as I often feel really guilty doing "bad" things to NPCs in the game, even though I know they aren't real. I don't generally do a lot with mods though, as I find they often dilute the experience intended by the original designers. Plus a lot of fan-made mods are crap, and it takes too much time to pick out the good ones.

Above all other aspects, I am definitely more Gameplay-Focused than anything else. A great story isn't worth anything if the game plays like shit. Xenosaga had a great story (from what I hear), but after spending 6 hours I had only played for about 3 and then I sat there not touching the controller for 40 minutes. Ugly UIs are irritating but don't necessarily give me a brain aneurism, but clunky, half-functional UIs and control schemes are game-breakers for me (the first Gothic, Kingdom Hearts). I'm a bit of the 4b subtype, but while I'll report bugs I generally can't be bothered to fix it myself.

There is some 8a (Interest Pioneer) in me as well. I like it when games (whether sequels or not) challenge genre conventions and take risks in doing it differently. The Ultima series was great in part because it was continually re-inventing itself with each new installment. This didn't always work out well in later years, but I'd still rather play Ultima VIII or IX (with all their flaws) than the 8th or 9th game rehashing the same gameplay and engine from Pool of Radiance.

bert

Arcane
LCJr. said:
11) The cynical and bored. The type of gamer that feels like they've seen everything before and they're pretty much right. You're also the type that can barely choke back the bile when developers use catch-phrases like "old school", "innovation", "streamlining" or "moving the genre forward". Yes, you're the type of RPG player that feels like they must have ran out of original ideas sometime in the 90's. Or maybe they didn't run out of ideas just the balls to develop them. You've grown sick of waking up with amnesia, being the chosen one or saving the world from the some ancient evil. In spite of your cynicism there's still a small spark of hope left in your black heart. The hope that someday, someone will once again deliver a game like the classics of yesteryear. Although each year that spark grows dimmer and dimmer as you're forced to wade through another batch of ARPG's, and shitty ones at that.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Kogorn said:

No worries, you have some points here.

As for me:

c (RP-Completionist): You play a specific type of character, but will realistically go after everything that type of character would want to accomplish. If you play a mage, for example, you pursue every possible magic-related quest or clue, but ignore say, thieves guild ones.

Kavax

Scholar
Heh, I'm like a perfect multiclass Total RP and Puzzle Gamer. That's the main thing I liked about Torment, it let me roleplay a certain personality throughout the game (In my first playthrough, an anti-social greedy thief) while having adventure game-esque puzzles.

jaylittle

Scholar
LCJr. said:
++

Oh and fuck you Bethesda :)

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I just like good RPGs, which means I don't like a lot of them.

I remember on the interplay board there was faggots who said they would talk to themselves with their NPCs personalities like in IWD where your NPCs don't talk, so they would talk for them. I try to do the complete opposite of that whenever I can. I also hate puzzles in RPGs, they should just be in zelda.

I'm 11 too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom